Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steel Path Acolyte have some unknown one shot mechanic. Or am I just getting bad luck with a Magnetize Acolyte?

I am constantly dying to Acolytes by 1 shot.
It seems like I'm getting magnetized while shooting the Acolyte, I deal so much damage that I'm instantly dead. How am I supposed to survive this? 
I can facetank a level 100+ horde but I can't avoid killing myself via Acolyte abilities. Frustrating.. 

16 minutes ago, ShortbusGangster said:

I am constantly dying to Acolytes by 1 shot.
It seems like I'm getting magnetized while shooting the Acolyte, I deal so much damage that I'm instantly dead. How am I supposed to survive this? 
I can facetank a level 100+ horde but I can't avoid killing myself via Acolyte abilities. Frustrating.. 

Bad luck with magnetize is very likely what you're experiencing.

Malice is the acolyte that has this ability and it regularly OHKOs players who don't notice it.

Otherwise you very well can be OHKO if you're running with a flimsy loadout.

The usual method is to roll out of the Magnetize field, leaving it behind.  Sometimes it's hard to see, but there is an audio cue. Or you can and probably should just assume its cast on you if he appears in your area.  There is a CD before Malice can cast it again.

If you've got a decent melee weapon and are solo, you can also just hold off on using ranged weapons until he's dealt with.  I think you can still be killed by squadmate projectiles, so this isn't totally safe when teamed up.

8 minutes ago, BroDutt said:

I think it's Malice a.k.a Acolyte that reflect back your damage. So YOU are the one who one shot yourself. Use silence or roll back to remove the magnetize effect.

Clarification:

Malice does not reflect damage; it casts Magnetize, which specifically causes projectiles to redirect back to the shooter. You can easily mitigate this by switching to melee whenever Malice spawns, since magnetize does nothing with melee weapons.

With a bit of time and practice you can start to become familiar with each Acolyte and its tricks. Like other replies are pointing out, the issue you are having, sounds like Malice and their ability to cast Magnetise on you. 

Do you play any Mag? If so, you may be familiar with Magnetise, which for a very basic overview, is a bit like a bullet magnet or bullet attractor. Now playing as Mag, its great, your bullets, enemy projectiles etc all get stuck in that bubble you create and shreds the enemies inside... However when Malice casts it on you... Well if you aren't paying attention and fire your guns, you can end up dead quick. 

There are a few different options for counter play. Some people can find it hard to notice if Magnetise is on them, but the more familiar you start to get with it, the easier it can be to tell. Like if you see that the next Acolyte is going to be Malice, you can even do some testing and observe them and the effects. That way you know what to look out for in the future. When its cast on you, you can simply roll and it will be left behind. You should see a distorted light greenish bubble. So rolling is one way. Be weary that the bubble can still be dangerous, and say if you are in a corridor with Malice on the other side of the bubble, you may not be able to hit them. Need to get around or past the bubble. Another method is to just switch to melee, and kill them that way, Mind you, be careful of melee that might have projectiles. Most traditional melee should leave you fine. Another method is just to kill Malice as soon as they spawn. Like if you use Magus lockdown on them, and hit em with certain weapons, hard and fast

Another semi important tip? If Malice spawns? Try to avoid standing around any Defence objects, if thats the mission type. Not only can you one shot yourself, but you can also destroy the Defence objective easy too. 

Some of the other Acolytes can have similar tricks, not many as lethal as Malice though (Violence can turn off abilities via Silence, and that can be annoying for certain Warframes). 

Good luck! 

3 hours ago, ShortbusGangster said:

How am I supposed to survive this? 

I usually use on call crew member when acomytes spawn to quickly get over with it.

That's overall kind of issue with Warframe because it's not really designed for "harder" content because you are meant to take damage there's no way to dodge all damage.

That's why there's frames with invincibility skills so they can pretty much just ignore enemy fire while shooting back.

Anyway just my small rant about this issue.

23 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

The usual method is to roll out of the Magnetize field, leaving it behind.  Sometimes it's hard to see, but there is an audio cue. Or you can and probably should just assume its cast on you if he appears in your area.  There is a CD before Malice can cast it again.

If you've got a decent melee weapon and are solo, you can also just hold off on using ranged weapons until he's dealt with.  I think you can still be killed by squadmate projectiles, so this isn't totally safe when teamed up.

Definitely hard for me to see, I only recently picked up on Magnetize because of the sound. However I didn't know what that sound was until I started playing with Mag because of Duviri. This has been bothering me for a while. 

Now I've also learned that it's Malice doing the ability so I think I can come out of this on top now. Prick kept hitting me with it while I was dumping bullets into his face. >.< 

On 2023-06-08 at 8:04 AM, Leqesai said:

since magnetize does nothing with melee weapons.

I will add for OP's sake that projectile melee weapons like gunblades or glaives can absolutely self-damage with Magnetise procced on you so be careful with these also.

1 minute ago, baked said:

I will add for OP's sake that projectile melee weapons like gunblades or glaives can absolutely self-damage with Magnetise procced on you so be careful with these also.

Thanks for clarifying. 

Archived