The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ideas for Oberon Changes

(XBOX)AudiGuard20

Here are what i think are nice changes for Oberon to make him more useful and updated with the current state of Warframe.

Passive: Passive remains the same but at a stronger buff from 25% to 50%

Smite: No longer need a target to use this ability onto. Cast this ability and the smite will seek out any one nearby target similar to Nyx's Psychic Bolts

Hallowed Ground: No longer need to stand on Hallowed Ground to be immune to staggers and knockdowns. When Oberon and allies stand on the hallowed ground, they will receive a buff that makes u immune to staggers and knockdown. The duration last infinitely as long as you stand on the Hallowed Ground, but will last, lets say 20-30 seconds when you leave the Hallowed Ground.

Renewal: No longer a channeling ability, and instead a one tap cast ability. On cast, Oberon and allies will receive a burst of healing and armor. Casting Renewal on Hallowed Ground will give Oberon damage reduction to a maximum of 80%, while allies gain a stronger armor buff, and the healing for Oberon and allies will be stronger. Furthermore, casting Renewal on a downed ally while on the hallowed ground will revive the ally with 50% health instantly.

Reckoning: No longer need to stand on Hallowed Ground to receive the full Armor Reduction on enemies. Just 200% power strength needed, and casting the ability on or off hallowed ground will strip 100% of their armor

This is what i think Oberon should've been like in the beginning, especially what Renewal should've been like instead of what it currently is which is just healing and armor as a channel ability. 

• 1 month later...

I like theses changes. 
but i would also make hallow ground full circle without range mods. and Range mods just increases the radius of hallow ground.
As well make hallow ground with infinte duration like wisp motes and frost globes. and just make our limit 4 like it is now anyway. 

I would also like Rechkoning base cast to be lowered by how much idk but i would think 50 to 75 would be ok. 

On 2023-06-12 at 3:30 AM, (XBOX)AudiGuard20 said:

Renewal: No longer a channeling ability, and instead a one tap cast ability.

Yeah dunno, removing the unique aspect of Renewal in that you can keep the buff going indefinitely
even if your allies move far away from you (which certain mission types may encourage),
and instead basically just making it work like Blessing ... not a fan.

The 2 main things (besides maybe some number tweaks) Renewal needs is

1) not letting it affect ability-made allies (like via Nekros' 4) and thus
draining extra Energy for little to no (and maybe even negative) effect

2) giving it a way to (re-)apply it to allies who missed the initial cast / lost the buff
because of Nullifiers or whatever, without first cancelling the ability entirely

The second issue could be solved in a variety of ways, like simply allowing (tap) recasts
of the invisible sphere (BTW why is it invisible) and making cancelling it a hold option,
or maybe turning it into an aura that moves with Oberon (this could be an option, again via hold)
and that just constantly (re-)applies the buff to anyone in range.

A further buff that IMO wouldn't be going too far would be to have the ability act like a "true" conditional drain type ability,
only costing Energy when someone is actually getting healed, and allowing all Energy gain / regen effects while active
(same for Link BTW, give that ability a toggle option already plskthx).

The other stuff I could get behind, not least the lingering status protection effect from HG.

But just make the Passive work on ALL Companions tho.

This rework proposal ash some interesting ideas, but I do question a few aspects of it. Firstly, Oberon's passive is just not needed in todays Warframe. Certain companions can now infinitely respawn and even when dead they can still provide essential benefits like Vacuum. So I'd replace Oberon's passive with something else, like maybe he provides a passive health regeneration for himself and allies close to him.

I'm also really confused with these parts of the changes;

On 2023-06-12 at 2:30 AM, (XBOX)AudiGuard20 said:

Renewal: No longer a channeling ability, and instead a one tap cast ability. On cast, Oberon and allies will receive a burst of healing and armor. Casting Renewal on Hallowed Ground will give Oberon damage reduction to a maximum of 80%

On 2023-06-12 at 2:30 AM, (XBOX)AudiGuard20 said:

Reckoning: No longer need to stand on Hallowed Ground to receive the full Armor Reduction on enemies. Just 200% power strength needed

Firstly, making Renewal a one-cast ability is just a blatant copy of Trinity's Blessing and really messes up the uniqueness of Renewal as an ability. It being channelled also offers more benefits than it being a one-cast ability, such as being able to take advantage of mods like Hunter Adrenaline to provide infinite energy. So really not a fan of that change. Also, why are you only giving Oberon 80% damage reduction? Not only does that not make any sense considering other frames have 90% DR abilities, but it also means that Adaptation will render that 80% DR useless because the game will not stack it with Adaptation due the rating being lower. You've basically given Oberon the same problem Caliban's passive has. Just give him a full 90%. There really is no point in giving any frame any less these days.

Secondly, the change of no longer needing to stand on Hallowed Ground to strip armour is a good one, but why are you still requiring 200% Power Strength to fully strip armour? Most armour-stripping frames in the game now only need 160 - 170% Power Strength to strip armour. Why would I for example want use Reckoning when I could just subsume Terrify over it and not have to invest so heavily in Power Strength? Instead of requiring the same Power Strength as Xaku, Oberon should maybe stand out by having a slightly lower power requirement for stripping armour like say maybe 155%. That would make him stand out as unique.

5 hours ago, TheGodofWiFi said:

Oberon's passive is just not needed in todays Warframe. Certain companions can now infinitely respawn

... and others can't, which makes the Passive (more) useful for them.

5 hours ago, TheGodofWiFi said:

I'd replace Oberon's passive with something else, like maybe he provides a passive health regeneration for himself and allies

But that's what Renewal is for, nevermind that this is actually already Citrine's Passive.

On 2023-07-21 at 4:57 PM, NinjaZeku said:

... and others can't, which makes the Passive (more) useful for them.

It really really doesn't as +25% health, shields and armour is nothing when it comes to helping companions survive. The one instant revive per mission is also nothing because as soon as they companion respawns, they instantly die again. Oberon's passive simply is not useful at all. It doesn't help companions survive in endgame which is where they are needed the most and companions almost never die in low to mid-tier gameplay anyway, so his passive is not helpful there either.

It's a truly useless passive mate and it needs to go.

On 2023-07-21 at 4:57 PM, NinjaZeku said:

But that's what Renewal is for, nevermind that this is actually already Citrine's Passive

This is my personal opinion, but Citrine should neve have had that passive IMO as it makes zero sense for her theme. It should be transferred to Oberon.

It also doesn't matter that Renewal does the same thing. Nidus has a self heal ability despite being able to passively regenerate health as well, so its not like Oberon doing the same thing would be alien. Besides, Oberon needs all the help he can get.

52 minutes ago, TheGodofWiFi said:

It doesn't help companions survive in endgame which is where they are needed the most and companions almost never die in low to mid-tier gameplay anyway

I think there's a decent middle ground of enemy levels and all between the two extremes of instant one-shot vs unable to kill at all.

That said, I posted in many topics about Companions over the years that ALL Companions should just be immortal regardless,
with "down time" states after taking what is currently "lethal" damage, and also I wouldn't be opposed to a completely different Passive.

It's simply that, if Oberon's Passive were to stay, I want it to apply to all Companions, equality is nice :P

58 minutes ago, TheGodofWiFi said:

Nidus has a self heal ability despite being able to passively regenerate health as well, so its not like Oberon doing the same thing would be alien.

You have a point, though it is a bit of a different situation, Nidus' innate Health regen replaces his Shields basically,
he doesn't have healing on literally every ability like Inaros does (or as much of a Health buffer), and it's personal only.

If some more Squad regen is not out of line for Oberon, then I'd simply prefer a buff to the numbers on Renewal.

2 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

I think there's a decent middle ground of enemy levels and all between the two extremes of instant one-shot vs unable to kill at all.

For high level players there isn't. For them, there are two difficulties; Star Chart and Steel Path. Star Chart levels are basically nothing to high levels players due to amount of high-level gear and mods making them basically invincible and Steel Path is the only difficulty where those players find any kind of challenge. That's just how it is.

Warframe is not a game of middle-grounds, its a game of extremes. You're either challenging yourself in Steel Path, or chilling out in Star Chart. Companions of high level players do not die in Star Chart but they drop like flies on Steel Path.

The only way this passive stays is if it instead gave companions immortality permanently. Companions are more valued for their utility more than their damage anyway, so a change like that would break the game.

You have a point, though it is a bit of a different situation, Nidus' innate Health regen replaces his Shields basically,
he doesn't have healing on literally every ability like Inaros does (or as much of a Health buffer), and it's personal only.

I really don't see how Nidus having no shields or his heal being personal to him is relevant here. Oberon is a paladin/druid style Warframe and in other games, those kinds of classes are all about healing and using light/nature for offense. Therefore a passive healing for the team would fit his theme.

then I'd simply prefer a buff to the numbers on Renewal.

Renewal needs more than a buff to its numbers. The heal from it was never that strong even with high power strength compared to an ability like say Nourish. If I were to give it any changes I would make Phoenix Renewal part of the ability itself and reduce the cooldown by a mile.

Oberon really just needs better scaling for what he offers and better base effects. He could easily have armor scaling for his effects and be given better base armor and health values at the 'cost' of lower shield values.

Hallowed Ground should have significantly better range and effectively be multiple circles, where the damage and %proc is lower the further out enemies are so he can at least provide the positive effects to allies better.

Renewal should have the augment as its standard effect and the augment could instead provide the group a buff if the cooldown hasn't been triggered. Introduce an energy/s cap.

Passive should apply to all 'companions' and give the free revive a cooldown.

Reckoning should require lower strength for the armor strip and have better cast times. Although, I would prefer it be replaced with a different ability that interacts with the rest of his abilities.

Oberon got me into Steel Path.   The other day I got to use him for SP Circuits and it had been awhile so he had no newer arcanes or helminths abilities or shards... He still kicked butt.   I was super stoked afterwards thinking he had sooo much untapped potential on him

I am totally all for single target abilities on every frame in the game auto-seeking targets on cast instead of having to aim and spam the buttons until it connects.  That is horrendous in such a fast paced game like WF.

-------

The rest.....opposed...   Oberons heals everyone non stop,  give him hunter adrenaline or rage and boom infinite energy.   Prime flow or Endurance drift super duper infinite energy lol. (prob a bad idea).    For shards he could get any combo of HP/HP regen.   Arcane Reaper would give him armor and HP regen for kills...   my oberon doesnt have pheonix augment,  and I have never tried it..   

I was thinking of adding a SECOND channeled ability to him lol or a buff.   Nourish/Roar/Warcry I dont know.  WIth my range mods maybe thermal sunder??   grass + sickening Pulse maybe to add stacks of rad to enemies??

=============

I just havent gotten around to tinkering with him yet....   my beef with oberon is that his grass status chance is to low =(.    Its basically just a tiny damage inflicter and kinda staggers enemies.   Doesnt make them turn on each other to often.    Grass should start out 360 degrees and have a bigger radius by default so you dont have to invest so heavily into range.  

Archived