Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My son had a seizure due to this game and the players.....AGAIN

Maracely

1 hour ago, Leqesai said:

Based on the post in this thread, the TC and their son have their own accounts. You're trying to draw correlation between two separate issues. The dad having an issue with Mirage does not imply the son uses Mirage...

Uhh? TC? Dad? Seperate accounts?

Where are you finding this info?

I don't know what you're referring to when you say TC.

I take Epilepsy very seriously. I grew up with two friends who suffered from it and it's horrifying both for the affected person and for those around them. Seeing someone pause with the only sign something is wrong being rapid eye movements and then suddenly collapsing to the floor (potentially injuring themselves) is something that haunts me when I think about it and the sudden fatigue they get once they exit the seizure. And this is without an obvious trigger like flashing lights. I imagine with such a condition it'd happen very frequently in a game like Warframe.

Something about this thread just seems "off" to me. I don't know why somebody would want to lie about having a condition like this but I can't shake the feeling something isn't right. I have no clue if they've been actively playing Warframe since 2019 but it just seems real strange it took 4 years of playing Warframe for someone sensitive to photosensitive epilepsy to have their second seizure only now.

It also bugs me that this "parent" is aware of specific weapons like the Zarr or Envoy. My parents wouldn't even be able to tell me who Pikachu is, let alone obscure weapon names in a game like Warframe. Even if the kid told the parents the weapon names, I still feel like a parent would get the name of the Zarr wrong, spelling it like Tsar or etc.

The only other explanation would be that the parent is an active Warframe player themselves, but that then also looks bad because the parent should know what kind of things to expect from Warframe.

I really hope I'm wrong but I'm sensing a lot of red flags. I brought up their other thread because assuming this is the same "kid" who wrote the other thread it's strange how they made no mention about the visuals of Mirage's abilities negatively impacting them.

29 minutes ago, Zahnny said:

Uhh? TC? Dad? Seperate accounts?

Where are you finding this info?

I don't know what you're referring to when you say TC.

I take Epilepsy very seriously. I grew up with two friends who suffered from it and it's horrifying both for the affected person and for those around them. Seeing someone pause with the only sign something is wrong being rapid eye movements and then suddenly collapsing to the floor (potentially injuring themselves) is something that haunts me when I think about it and the sudden fatigue they get once they exit the seizure. And this is without an obvious trigger like flashing lights. I imagine with such a condition it'd happen very frequently in a game like Warframe.

Something about this thread just seems "off" to me. I don't know why somebody would want to lie about having a condition like this but I can't shake the feeling something isn't right. I have no clue if they've been actively playing Warframe since 2019 but it just seems real strange it took 4 years of playing Warframe for someone sensitive to photosensitive epilepsy to have their second seizure only now.

It also bugs me that this "parent" is aware of specific weapons like the Zarr or Envoy. My parents wouldn't even be able to tell me who Pikachu is, let alone obscure weapon names in a game like Warframe. Even if the kid told the parents the weapon names, I still feel like a parent would get the name of the Zarr wrong, spelling it like Tsar or etc.

The only other explanation would be that the parent is an active Warframe player themselves, but that then also looks bad because the parent should know what kind of things to expect from Warframe.

I really hope I'm wrong but I'm sensing a lot of red flags. I brought up their other thread because assuming this is the same "kid" who wrote the other thread it's strange how they made no mention about the visuals of Mirage's abilities negatively impacting them.

TC means Topic Creator. Essentially the same thing as OP. I am a bit old fashioned and forget we've stopped saying TC. 

You should not be quoting the dad (OP) out of context. You're trying to say something about their character based on a post they made 3 years ago. You don't know how that post relates the current situation and trying to draw a correlation between the two is very inappropriate.

I don't think the dad is in the right on this but I sure as heckfire don't think you need to be throwing gasoline on the problem by trying to insinuate a 3 year old post somehow has anything to do with the complaint raised in this thread. Neither of us know the dynamics of this situation, and all we should be doing is assessing the problem based on what he said here in this thread (which IMO is all anyone needs).

TC/OP is the dad. The same person who wrote the 3 year old post. 

The kid didn't write anything here or in the old thread. Based on what you wrote here I think you are really confused.

On 2023-07-26 at 6:45 AM, Maracely said:

It causes a blinding light to fill entire screen and I can't get it to stop even with lowest settings.

Yea, this is very annoying. even with 'reduce teammate visual effects' settings on it's still excessive. it should remove all teammate visual effects for the sake of our retinas. 

2 hours ago, ReddyDisco said:

Yea, this is very annoying. even with 'reduce teammate visual effects' settings on it's still excessive. it should remove all teammate visual effects for the sake of our retinas. 

Remove all teammate effects is not realistic either tbh. Not seeing Frost Bubble, grounds buffs, Limbo's rift etc would generate lots of frustration I suppose.

19 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

Remove all teammate effects is not realistic either tbh. Not seeing Frost Bubble, grounds buffs, Limbo's rift etc would generate lots of frustration I suppose.

Like limbo doesn't already cause frustrations :D

While I am truly sorry to hear of what has happened, Warframe (like a very large number of video games) has the potential to display flashing lights and colors which can cause epileptic symptoms. It is your responsibility to understand this risk as the end-user, and if this is not the first time it has happened then it was also your responsibility to prevent your child from continuing to play the game. If your child suffers from epilepsy, you really shouldn't be allowing them to play a game that carries an inherent risk of causing seizures for those with epilepsy. 

And while it is true that there are some settings or precautions that one can take to reduce the risk (toggling certain settings on or off, changing display color settings, playing solo or only with teammates one knows), there is no guarantee that the risk will be eliminated.

There is a reason why almost every single video game includes epileptic seizure warnings, be it on a splash screen on startup, a warning label, or in the EULA (or other user agreements).

I know it's not the answer you want to hear, but you really shouldn't be allowing your child to play a game that heavily relies on light effects and high-speed action that can cause the brightness or colors on screen to rapidly change or strobe if they suffer from epilepsy.

Archived