Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

warframe design philosophy

dragonmermaid

As amusing as the topic is, going from
"This warframe was based on male anatomy therefore it should look more masculine" to "This female warframe has genitals"

I don't even want to know what the devs were thinking.

Gara is clearly a feminine figure with an udder.

Gara is not the same as Hildryn, which is still distinctly feminine, though is comparatively more masculine, so it's honestly not hard to mistake her for a male-based frame.

Hildryn does not have a shlong, so it's even harder to say they're a male. Then again, Rhino is the epitome of an alpha male in the warframe universe and he doesn't even come CLOSE to possessing a notable bulge, let alone a clear, distinctive shlong.

Why does Gara have anything interpretive of genitalia when Rhino of all frames does not?

Because the devs do not consider their design choices. That's why.
They did make New War, Duviri and, most likely, the 1999 we know is likely to come out, versus the 1999 that we actually want to come out.

They do not consider that the core gameplay of warframe is farming.
They do not consider that the core gameplay of warframe is using what you farmed.

So why would they possess half a wit about a girl with a bulge? They don't, they won't, they never did and it won't change.

• Like 1

Just now, MaxTunnerX said:

Thats most liekly because warframes are supposed to be liek armor or a person inside armor. And there is a big difference between normal armor and boob armor.

If the issue is "These people wearing armour look like their body"

Then Ash is a shirtless guy, Atlas design invoke both the pectoral and back muscles, Baruuk is a shirtless monk with his armour designated where the exposed chest and the 'sash' begins, Chroma has a $&*^ that is (hilariously) covered up in a pelvic curtain in his Prime variant. Gauss has a THIRD LEGS that also has a rounded plate at the base literally invoking the image of @#&$ and balls, Inaros Prime filled in his midsection to make him conventionally attractive especially compared to the spine and ribs that was his normal variant (seriously look at the difference between walking mummy that's Inaros and just an attractive guy that's Inaros Prime), Kullervo has his  clothes part at the exact part to show that he has a butt, Limbo's hip thrusting Is a meme at this point,  Nekros has a massive crotch bulge.

It's not just a female frame thing where the design emphasis the anatomy of the gender of the Frame, hell if you look at Twitter you'd be surprised to see how much people like Sevagoth of all Frames when they managed to take off that weird cape he has and how people apparently rate that his butt is one of the nicer male ones.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MaxTunnerX said:

I like how you consider nezha top quality when he doesnt even look like a male. Anyway, I guess we can have like one giga chad frame in game, why not, but dont touch the existing ones please cause I play male frames a lot and I dont want to feel gay playing them.

So if we go by that, playing Batman, Spider-Man, MGRR or any game with muscular man as the playable character makes every male feel hella gay.

Got it.

Edited by (NSW)Kokojo

Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder ,

So it is rather difficult to say what one may enjoy looking at through anything other than your own eyes, 

That being said , tennogen and fan concepts exist for this very reason.

If you create your own design and is liked well enough it may get made in the game.

I enjoy different aesthetics for different reasons , i enjoy playing mag pneuma as well as Nezha empyrean , Nidus phryke as well as hildryn default , 

So I am happy to get more variations and wouldn't say no to more choice.

Edited by 0_The_F00l

1 minute ago, MaxTunnerX said:

Exactly this lol. Its so funny every time I think about this.

You got some weird rules, man…

women shaped like this, men shaped like this, bulges in the right places, no bulges in other places, these suits of armour represent the shape of a human and not what someone wears otherwise the bulges would be ornamental and they’re not

5 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

You got some weird rules, man…

women shaped like this, men shaped like this, bulges in the right places, no bulges in other places, these suits of armour represent the shape of a human and not what someone wears otherwise the bulges would be ornamental and they’re not

I literally dont. If you want schlongs/bulges in a game, add them to males, if you want boobs in a game, add them to females, thats my only rule. What confuses you is when Im describing what the devs have done to this game, where they put these body parts on different genders at random. And of course, the fact that I believe shlongs belong on male characters doesnt mean I want to see them.

Edited by MaxTunnerX
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MaxTunnerX said:

Trust me, they spend hours designing each warframe, more than just hours actually. And they know damn well that a female should not have a growth between her legs, but they put it in anyway :D And guess what, many male frames dont even have that growth, if they even have anything down there. Its a paradox.

Just here to remind that Warframes are robots btw. A metal plate, a small bulge or whatever in between their legs is never supposed to represent a sex. Especially since it's pretty clear that outside of some special places in the internet there is no sexualisation on warframes as by design it makes no sense for them to have any kind of sex anyways. Yes their designs are humanoid so they mimic human anatomy, but they definitely don't do it to that degree.

Stop hyper-fixating on this stuff seriously, that's getting ridiculous.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rathalio said:

Just here to remind that Warframes are robots btw.

If theyre robots they dont need any boobs nor schlongs. Why would anyone even make such robots for combat? Humans only have these things because they need them to survive and reproduce. Warframes would still be humanoid without these features and way better in combat.

Edited by MaxTunnerX
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, dragonmermaid said:

DE can we please get more sexy male frames?

most of the female frames maintain the "body silhouette" aka "damn they thicc" but many of the male frames have their silhouette broken up by something (or frames like rhino having their weird crotch shenanigans)

i dunno if what im saying is making any sense, like the female frames still have their "body" like, looks like a person in a skinsuit with some added shoulder or leg parts, where as the male frames are all segmented or they have the flattest of posteriors

i know this is only a "me" problem but i had to say it lol

we got frames like excalibur and deluxe nezha but i want more ha ha

DE, level with me, let me design ONE frame pls, just one to throw at us for some male fanservice

i have like 3 designs im working on, once i get to drawing them out

I think your design submissions to DE would give them a direction but I think you have to look at public perception and its over sexualized assumptions first. Wisp, Rhino, Citrine and Nezha are the only four frames, out of 50+, that I've seen labeled "sexually charged". However, there are so many representations of types in this game that I'm surprised this topic came up. I would note that, because of HOW Helminth creates frames, it would be incredibly hard to not notice a female, no different than placing a spandex super suit on a male and female. Typical traits define typical bodies.

I think the bigger challenge would be to get the over horny dudes to stop over promoting the "sexually charged" things they see. Stopping them would open up more creative opportunities. However, we do need those guys to help some companies from going overboard, soooo, yep. 😂

• Like 1

Just now, MaxTunnerX said:

I literally dont. If you want schlongs/bulges in a game, add them to males, if you want boobs in a game, add them to females, thats my only rule. What confuses you is when Im describing what the devs have done to this game, where they put these body parts on different genders at random.

What confuses me is that you think it’s important and defines what you will and won’t use. The main reason we got tits’n ass and pecs in the first place is because we get taught to make characters recognizeable and people like it simple despite the fact that what’s represented is a simplified version of various bodytypes. And then you get to suits of armour which are about as representative of human form as some anime character, so technically there’s loads of room for non-standard design that’s recognizeable as non-human except even then some people get thrown for a loop because some suit of armour has a codpiece with either nothing in it or Infested material and they think they’ve got the artists figured out

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

What confuses me is that you think it’s important and defines what you will and won’t use.

What my character looks like is a valid reason to use or not use them, dont know why you find it so weird. Unlike some people, I prefer function over looks, but even I have
a red line. For example I only use normal nekros skin on my nekros prime because nekros prime skin blocks my view. I use the wukong helmet without the protoss hair because it annoys me greatly. I dont use garuda and grendel at all because I find them both disgusting (VFX and SFX of their abilities, not their basic model). Also if I can helminth an ability of a frame I dont like the looks of to another frame without sacrificing anything I like, I will do that rather than play ugly/whatever frame.

Edited by MaxTunnerX
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MaxTunnerX said:

Tell yourself whatever you want to sleep better at night :D For me a schlong and glass schlong makes no difference. I wonder how a dev would explain trinitys vag tattoo tho. "accident"

Honestly, I think you are spending an incredible amount of time building your case by diving into areas of assumption and accusation. It's ok to want something added but don't speak for the artists. 

4 minutes ago, (PSN)GEN-Son_17 said:

Honestly, I think you are spending an incredible amount of time building your case by diving into areas of assumption and accusation. It's ok to want something added but don't speak for the artists. 

I literally said "I wonder". And yeah, the most likely answer to my question would be accident or something. Why would the devs ever admit it was supposed to be a vag tattoo? That would never look good in press. Pretty sure warframe isnt 18+ so they cant say it even if they wanted to.

Edited by MaxTunnerX
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Alguien said:

You are for a trip when you play The Sacrifice quest...

In the sacrifice the quest confirms something that had already been told in the lore prior to this quest. That is, warframes are built/designed by the use of a parasitic infested mutation on a human vessel, literally replacing the human by an armoured exoskeleton and then become a warframe. (It's also literally the process Hayden Tenno went through by getting infected in Dark Sector which is "proto-warframe" on many aspects.) In the process though I don't see why they should keep sexual parts or even consider them in Warframe. Especially when it's obvious that warframes won't procreate and also that this could be a weakness to carry such sensitive body parts, so they would be either gone or not functional. Also it's clear that after going threw this process the original human vessel used is not longer there (in Umbra's case Ballas tried it different and his mind survived, but that's the only one and still doesn't change anything from an anatomy standpoint).

3 minutes ago, MaxTunnerX said:

What my character looks like is a valid reason to use or not use them, dont know why you find it so weird. Unlike some people, I prefer function over looks, but even I have
a red line. For example I only use normal nekros skin on my nekros prime because nekros prime skin blocks my view. I use the wukong helmet without the protoss hair because it annoys me greatly. I dont use garuda and grendel at all because I find them both disgusting (VFX and SFX of their abilities, not their basic model). Also if I can helminth an ability of a frame I dont like the looks of to another frame without sacrificing anything I like, I will do that rather than play ugly/whatever frame.

Like, that’s fair. Your criteria is the confusing part; you seem to put a lot more emphasis on what the form of the thing represents than I would

6 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Like, that’s fair. Your criteria is the confusing part; you seem to put a lot more emphasis on what the form of the thing represents than I would

Im going through the details mainly because thats what this topic is about. And because during my WF experience I met some messed up stuff that is related to the topic. If your criteria are different from mine, be my guest. To each their own. Thats why I push for several variants/skins per frame in this topic after all. If I could choose I would select sexy females and normal males. The topic creator would probably choose the opposite or both sexy. Hope this is clear enough.

Edited by MaxTunnerX

9 minutes ago, MaxTunnerX said:

I literally said "I wonder". And yeah, the most likely answer to my question would be accident or something. Why would the devs ever admit it was supposed to be a vag tattoo? That would never look good in press. Pretty sure warframe isnt 18+ so they cant say it even if they wanted to.

It is 18+

3 minutes ago, MaxTunnerX said:

Im going through the details mainly because thats what this topic is about. And because during my WF experience I met some messed up stuff that is related to the topic. If your criteria are different from mine, be my guest. To each their own. Thats why I push for several variants/skins per frame in this topic after all. If I could choose I would select sexy females and normal males. The topic creator would probably choose the opposite or both sexy. Hope this is clear enough.

I guess it’s clearer.

I think though that assuming that your rules are so easily understood could do with some reconsideration, and I’m not thrilled at the accusation that the artists have no idea what they’re doing; I don’t know them or what they were thinking, admittedly, but I do know it’s almost never that simple to just make a character design, especially if someone’s going against the status quo which plenty of the art direction in this game is pretty out there

16 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

I guess it’s clearer.

I think though that assuming that your rules are so easily understood could do with some reconsideration, and I’m not thrilled at the accusation that the artists have no idea what they’re doing; I don’t know them or what they were thinking, admittedly, but I do know it’s almost never that simple to just make a character design, especially if someone’s going against the status quo which plenty of the art direction in this game is pretty out there

I never said character design is easy. I just said that everyone, even an amateur, can understand what females have and dont have in their crotch, same thing for males. Just like everyone can tell if square shape goes into square hole or a circle hole. And that the character design takes a very long time so they had to intentionally put the "codpiece" on gara instead of rhino etc. or they werent in control of the design (which I exaggerated for humor purposes). Great deal of artists modify their work once they realise it looks like "ehm" or "uhm" so people dont focus on that rather than the work itself. Others intentionally keep it in to create the kind of discussion were having right now. Thats why I have those 2 theories and not a different one. If you want to play the "they didnt realise it looked like..." card, I wont stop you, but I find that very hard to believe as they are trained professionals.

EDIT: Also consider not quoting me all the time, I checked the topic and our back and forth has consumed a big part of it. I think I made myself clear enough now.

Edited by MaxTunnerX
  • Like 1