The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Looking for a viable steel path secondary automatic pistol/pistols

BlissfullyOwO

17 minutes ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

The better question is how you're going to stack buffs, mods and arcanes. 

For example Yareli for the secondary crit bonus, crit secondary shard, arcanes that increase secondary damage/fire rate or the arcane that gives ammo efficiency after a head shot kill etc.

I'm using the Afuris Prime and doing basically that.

I was trying to negate putting that into play to eliminate semantics, and as some characters I play do not have a way to increase damage potential, so I wanted to base it only on the weapon itself with the obvious mods that most would use for steel path.

Rivens are fine for this discussion, the typical critical chance/critical damage along with secondary merciless is what I would be using overall.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BlissfullyOwO said:

Akstilleto Prime

The responses have been helpful, I appreciate them.

I will give a look back at Aksomati Prime and Kuva Twin Stubbas, maybe I am missing something on my end.

For me Aksomati P and Afuris P seem pretty comparable.  (I like Afuris P way, way more, but that's due to subjective qualities.)

Twin Stubba is a step or two better.

Akstiletto P and Prisma Twin Gremlins are a step worse.  Although the latter is notable for having a better dispo.  Also projectile, if that's a problem.

I guess I'd put Twin Kohmak between Twin Stubba and Aksomati/Afuris, but that's a tough comparison.  It's really a completely different animal than the others.

1 minute ago, Tiltskillet said:

For me Aksomati P and Afuris P seem pretty comparable.  (I like Afuris P way, way more, but that's due to subjective qualities.)

Twin Stubba is a step or two better.

Akstiletto P and Prisma Twin Gremlins are a step worse.  Although the latter is notable for having a better dispo.  Also projectile, if that's a problem.

I guess I'd put Twin Kohmak between Twin Stubba and Aksomati/Afuris, but that's a tough comparison.  It's really a completely different animal than the others.

Are the Afuris Prime that good? I haven't touched them since I got them.

If that is the case I will add that to the list of ones to try.

I am already in the works of getting the Twin Kohmak though, so thanks for that suggestion.

3 hours ago, BlissfullyOwO said:

or running out of ammo

then your kitgun is the one. Add the arcane that gives it battery-ammo and it never, ever runs out. I use one, a rattleguts and gibber secondary that just fires a hose of bullets. Add the primary merciless and run your frame with arcane pistoleer and arcane precision and you can fire infinitely long at hordes of enemies as long as you shoot somewhere near their heads. It does need the secondary merciless arcane to be effective but the damage ramps up quickly.

1 minute ago, CephalonCarnage said:

then your kitgun is the one. Add the arcane that gives it battery-ammo and it never, ever runs out. I use one, a rattleguts and gibber secondary that just fires a hose of bullets. Add the primary merciless and run your frame with arcane pistoleer and arcane precision and you can fire infinitely long at hordes of enemies as long as you shoot somewhere near their heads. It does need the secondary merciless arcane to be effective but the damage ramps up quickly.

I love my little rattleguts, it has been a weapon I keep going back to with Pax Seeker.

I have secondary merciless, and it is definitely going into my rotation along with the riven I got for it.

I am using Rattleguts, Lovetap, and Splat though, but I never really felt ammo was a super big issue since the rate of fire on lovetap is a little bit slower.

12 minutes ago, BlissfullyOwO said:

Are the Afuris Prime that good? I haven't touched them since I got them.

If that is the case I will add that to the list of ones to try.

I am already in the works of getting the Twin Kohmak though, so thanks for that suggestion.

Well you weren't satisfied with Kuva Stubbas, and those are clearly better AFAIC, so I'm hesitant to describe Afuris P as "that good".   More what I'd call solid, I guess.

2 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

Well you weren't satisfied with Kuva Stubbas, and those are clearly better AFAIC, so I'm hesitant to describe Afuris P as "that good".   More what I'd call solid, I guess.

Would you say at all that Akstilleto Prime is worth it compared to Afuris P or Aksomati P? I think the thing that turned me off about Aksomati P is its slow fire, crit, and spool up... obviously I feel these could be rectified with the proper riven mod, but I am not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze so to say.

I will give the Kuva Twin Stubbas another go, I just wish they weren't so ugly.

I have been pretty hesitant to get the akstilleto prime because I hear they have been powercrept into the ground.

Edited by BlissfullyOwO

1 minute ago, BlissfullyOwO said:

I love my little rattleguts, it has been a weapon I keep going back to with Pax Seeker.

I have secondary merciless, and it is definitely going into my rotation along with the riven I got for it.

I am using Rattleguts, Lovetap, and Splat though, but I never really felt ammo was a super big issue since the rate of fire on lovetap is a little bit slower.

Gibber is the magic. The fast, fast fire means you get a bullethose. The ammo economy is negated with arcane pistoleer that gives you +103% ammo efficiency on headshot (which is super easy if youy fire what feels like a thousand bullets per second). Infinite ammo with the pax charge arcane. And then Arcane precision gives you +300% damage and merciless obviously helps a ton.

What you get in effect (though it costs a lot of forma) is a gun that fires like a beam weapon its so fast, with decent damage that ramps up when you hit heads so you just need to fire roughtly in the right area and you'll get many headshots. But it does need that ramp-up time, and will fall off eventually.

(otherwise, my other go-to secondary is kuva twin stubbas. I had a nice riven and they do hit hard. Works best with the anti-recoil exilus mod)

1 minute ago, CephalonCarnage said:

Gibber is the magic. The fast, fast fire means you get a bullethose. The ammo economy is negated with arcane pistoleer that gives you +103% ammo efficiency on headshot (which is super easy if youy fire what feels like a thousand bullets per second). Infinite ammo with the pax charge arcane. And then Arcane precision gives you +300% damage and merciless obviously helps a ton.

What you get in effect (though it costs a lot of forma) is a gun that fires like a beam weapon its so fast, with decent damage that ramps up when you hit heads so you just need to fire roughtly in the right area and you'll get many headshots. But it does need that ramp-up time, and will fall off eventually.

(otherwise, my other go-to secondary is kuva twin stubbas. I had a nice riven and they do hit hard. Works best with the anti-recoil exilus mod)

I will build another with the Gibber frame then, sounds a lot nicer with a higher fire rate to spam.

Thanks for the suggestion.

5 minutes ago, BlissfullyOwO said:

I will build another with the Gibber frame then, sounds a lot nicer with a higher fire rate to spam.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Overframe build. 15.4 fr, 130% cc, 4.8 cd only 787 damage per bullet. Its a fun weapon more than anything TBH. Rattleguts rivens are ten-a-penny. But it did need the forma.

21 minutes ago, BlissfullyOwO said:

Would you say at all that Akstilleto Prime is worth it compared to Afuris P or Aksomati P? I think the thing that turned me off about Aksomati P is its slow fire, crit, and spool up... obviously I feel these could be rectified with the proper riven mod, but I am not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze so to say.

I will give the Kuva Twin Stubbas another go, I just wish they weren't so ugly.

I have been pretty hesitant to get the akstilleto prime because I hear they have been powercrept into the ground.

Akstiletto Prime is also solid, but compared to Kuva Stubba I'd only recommend it if you were in love with the look/sound or already had a great riven for it.  Or if you really like the idea of the Entrati augment.

Afuris Prime is really similar to Aksti in being a status-happy sidearm, but better.  More deeps, puncture bias instead of impact, much better RoF so even more status-happy, twice the magazine.  It even has slightly better dispo already, likely to go up even more.  Aksti dispo I think demonstrates that  DE doesn't think much about the dispos of old weapons that used to be popular.

Edited by Tiltskillet

3 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

Akstiletto Prime is also solid, but compared to Kuva Stubba I'd only recommend it if you were in love with the look/sound or already had a great riven for it.  Or if you really like the idea of the Entrati augment.

Afuris Prime is really similar to Aksti in being a status-happy sidearm, but better.  More deeps, puncture bias instead of impact, much better RoF so even more status-happy, twice the magazine.  It even has slightly better dispo already, likely to go up even more.  Aksti dispo I think demonstrates that  DE doesn't think much about the dispos of old weapons that used to be popular.

Thanks for the info, all this makes me want to try Afuris Prime, though looking online people don't really seem to like it very much.

I used it for a mission or two to try it again, I feel like I would like it.

I agree the riven dispo seems pretty good (though it seems Dax Afuris riven dispo puts it above the prime)

Did it get a buff recently at all? Again I only ask because it seems rather unpopular, and for the most part a lot of people say it is disappointing. 

56 minutes ago, BlissfullyOwO said:

Did it get a buff recently at all? Again I only ask because it seems rather unpopular, and for the most part a lot of people say it is disappointing. 

No buff. My guess is the extra meh  that greeted it was largely to due to it being powercrept  (like most primes), not offering anything unique in its class (like most primes), and not being the Furis.

And then Incarnon Genesis came out a little later and totally changed expectations around old weapons.

2 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

No buff. My guess is the extra meh  that greeted it was largely to due to it being powercrept  (like most primes), not offering anything unique in its class (like most primes), and not being the Furis.

And then Incarnon Genesis came out a little later and totally changed expectations around old weapons.

Yeah, incarnons put me in an interesting place I would say.

Powercreep seems to be doing these old primes dirty unfortunately.

Hopefully more incarnons can spice things up.

10 minutes ago, PollexMessier said:

I absolutely Love Cyanex. It seems like just a status spreader on paper but it evaporates enemies with the cascadia empowered arcane

I just built one from a blueprint in my dojo, I was going to give it a try.

I am quite interested in how it sounded, but haven't gotten around to using it yet.

1 hour ago, BlissfullyOwO said:

I just built one from a blueprint in my dojo, I was going to give it a try.

I am quite interested in how it sounded, but haven't gotten around to using it yet.

Here's my build on it if you're interested. I tend to mod by feel so it might not be the best but it works for me.

Spoiler

image.png

The exilus mod and arcane not being maxed out is just me being too lazy to deal with it.

Just used it on steel path and "evaporate" may have been a bit of an exaggeration. But it's serviceable. Secondary Encumber might be a better arcane for it but I don't have it to test out. Definitely better for a status primer build but I dunno about damage.

Edit: Tested a few others just cus. Pyrana prime, Tenet Diplos, and Athodai were all out-damaging Cyanex pretty hard (Athodai was a surprise). Kuva stubbas... wasn't doing that, for some reason. That could've been a build issue. So yeah Cyanex is a bit of a pea shooter. But a fun one.

Edited by PollexMessier

1 hour ago, PollexMessier said:

Here's my build on it if you're interested. I tend to mod by feel so it might not be the best but it works for me.

Hide contents

image.png

The exilus mod and arcane not being maxed out is just me being too lazy to deal with it.

Just used it on steel path and "evaporate" may have been a bit of an exaggeration. But it's serviceable. Secondary Encumber might be a better arcane for it but I don't have it to test out. Definitely better for a status primer build but I dunno about damage.

Edit: Tested a few others just cus. Pyrana prime, Tenet Diplos, and Athodai were all out-damaging Cyanex pretty hard (Athodai was a surprise). Kuva stubbas... wasn't doing that, for some reason. That could've been a build issue. So yeah Cyanex is a bit of a pea shooter. But a fun one.

Thanks for those tests and that information.

I am not exactly looking for a primer secondary, I would like to use my secondary as a main source of damage (mainly just to change it up)

I appreciate your help and effort.

Secondaries that give satisfaction - it's difficult to recommend because they are all much less forgiving than primaries.  Over the last couple years I have settled into Kuva T Stubbas as the most reliable.  You must mod to each faction, mod to reduce recoil, be a headshot hog, and have a decent Riven.  

Same logic for Ten. Cycron, Prisma Gremlins, Ten. Plinx, and some others. 

Also your specific usage needs to have a narrow focus within your whole build.  Yes you can main a secondary all the way through SP, but enjoyment will drop unless you are ok with being much more strategic in your engagements.  Some people say secondaries are only good for priming enemies but that is simplistic.  They are situational.  Big maps are better for stubbas and plinx, cycron and gremlins love packs of enemies.  

So to your point above to use it as main damage, find some fun synergies with unairu armor shield strip, the vacuum arcane from little duck, and cycron.  Or be cooler than the Loki mains of 2016 and run pillage gyre and plinx.  Laugh maniacally as you orange crit headshots and profit.  Secondaries aren't mains for everyone, they are mains for mad scientists...  😆

For pistols:

• Aksomati Prime are slash monsters, scaling into Steel Path without issues. If they ever get an incarnon adapter, they'll become meta.
  • Furis (the single one) with incarnon adapter is my current amusement. The normal mode is whatever, if you knock 'em on the head it'll still function in Steel Path. However, it's the incarnon form... It's like the Klamora amp prism (7xx), but sadly without punchthrough. However, because you can mod it, the damage is absolutely bonkers. I can tell you from personal experience, level 200 armored Grineer in Conjunction Survival evaporate instantly from it. Groups of them, despite it having no punch through. There's no doubt in my mind that it'll scale into mid range Endurance, if not all the way to level cap.

For shotties:

• Pyrana Prime has zero issues melting armored Grineer on Steel Path. It's also really good against groups, due to its unique gimmick of generating a phantom akimbo partner if you kill a few things within a short time, which also greatly boosts its fire rate. The duration is short, but there's no cooldown. If this thing ever gets an incarnon adapter, it could become pretty wild.

The above are generated from my own experiences, and fitting within the limitations imposed in the OP. If you're seeing different results, you've probably modded them poorly. For obvious reasons, they'll scale up and perform even better if you support them with frame abilities and whatnot.

Edited by Hexerin
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, (PSN)Mentat_Atavist said:

Secondaries that give satisfaction - it's difficult to recommend because they are all much less forgiving than primaries.  Over the last couple years I have settled into Kuva T Stubbas as the most reliable.  You must mod to each faction, mod to reduce recoil, be a headshot hog, and have a decent Riven.  

Same logic for Ten. Cycron, Prisma Gremlins, Ten. Plinx, and some others. 

Also your specific usage needs to have a narrow focus within your whole build.  Yes you can main a secondary all the way through SP, but enjoyment will drop unless you are ok with being much more strategic in your engagements.  Some people say secondaries are only good for priming enemies but that is simplistic.  They are situational.  Big maps are better for stubbas and plinx, cycron and gremlins love packs of enemies.  

So to your point above to use it as main damage, find some fun synergies with unairu armor shield strip, the vacuum arcane from little duck, and cycron.  Or be cooler than the Loki mains of 2016 and run pillage gyre and plinx.  Laugh maniacally as you orange crit headshots and profit.  Secondaries aren't mains for everyone, they are mains for mad scientists...  😆

My plan isn't to be narrow.

They aren't my only focus, I am mainly asking because I have what I need for every other possible play style I want.

I just haven't found the right auto pistols that I want to use, when I want to have fun with auto pistols.

I have a lot of other secondaries, and I don't plan on always maining secondaries, my goal here was to find new suggestions for fun auto pistols that also work well into steel path.