Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

An Idea to Manage the FOMO

sly_squash

15 hours ago, trst said:

But why? Nobody should ever come into a ten year old live service game and expect to ever catch up to the exact point that players who've been there longer.

Yes they should. since that is practically what you can do in all of them, including WF, with the exception being Archon Shards. It shouldnt be a matter of who has been there the longest, if the newer player wants to invest the time in the system they should be able to. Timegates are utter and total rubbish, and the way the shard gate is implemented it reeks of rancid fetid mobile mechanics. I actually wouldnt be surprised if DE starts throwing even more weekly and daily mandatory bullS#&$ into the game, and it wouldnt surprise me if the Veilbreaker setup came from a mobile gaming "expert" consultant they might have accidentally tainted the company with in preperation for the mobile port.

If that is the case and that entity is no longer at DE they should probably consider getting a cleansing done for the place to get rid of lingering piece of that evil. If someone at DE came up with it, my suggestion is taking a break, cos when thoughts like that cross your mind and also end up getting implemented you are likely not in a good place.

14 hours ago, trst said:

Anyone turned off by the idea of not being able to catch up should avoid any and all MMO/live service type game then. No matter what there's going to be some amount of exclusives/advantages that they'll never get simply due to having not started playing sooner.

That is very far from true. Since in the games where certain things might become unobtainable, they also tend to become obsolete at that point since the endgame has effectively changed to a brand new setting where people can catch up even if they join later. And most games dont have an infinitely obtainable item that is also time gated harshly without a catch up in place.

The way shards are set up is horribly player unfriendly since FOMO is an effective part of the system, since if you miss just a single week you can never catch up again and would be missing out. Just look at a player joining or coming back from a break a year after veilbreaker, they are 50+ shards behind that they can never ever catch up to no matter if they spend as much time on the game as the "vet". That is just #*!%ed up.

I mean sure, WF has other time gated systems, but they are all finite so everyone can catch up and have the same of the things that matter to power and builds.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Leqesai said:

The trend towards rotating/weekly content is largely why I rarely play anymore.

Not because I actually care about any of the rewards but because it has encouraged less constant play in favor of intermittent play. With less pushing me to play constantly I've had time to find other games to keep me busy. 

Honestly I think this new type of rotating/limited reward is ultimately harmful to longterm player retention. Especially since much of the stuff locked behind it isn't necessary. Having to wait weeks/months to unlock everything has made me realize how little I actually care about any of it.

I very much agree. I came back after 5 years and nearly caught up on everything within a month.

The weekly events are just a reason for me to log in once a week instead or each day and making it worse. They're not hard or eventful either.
Nightwave is similar in that it's literally just a list of chores. I can skip all but the last two weeks and fully rank it.

Sorties and Raids were better interaction though even those could be improved with diminishing returns on repeated runs.
I'm currently playing Path of Exile waiting for the reset which is pretty much proof of concept.

13 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

I very much agree. I came back after 5 years and nearly caught up on everything within a month.

The weekly events are just a reason for me to log in once a week instead or each day and making it worse. They're not hard or eventful either.
Nightwave is similar in that it's literally just a list of chores. I can skip all but the last two weeks and fully rank it.

Sorties and Raids were better interaction though even those could be improved with diminishing returns on repeated runs.
I'm currently playing Path of Exile waiting for the reset which is pretty much proof of concept.

Dave the Diver is my recent cup of poison :P :P

I reckon let the players who would rush do the thing they want to do. They’re trying to get done ASAP and all these slowdowns are not only annoying them, but I’m being impacted in comparitively minor ways that aren’t hugely problematic, but are still making it take longer to get something I’m mildly interested in.

Purge the rushers like a particularly bad stomach bug, they don’t want to be here and the game is being negatively affected for trying to keep them around