Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cloth has been ripping/tearing on dozens of skins ever since the cloth smoothing update - a compilation

Erra

Nearly a year ago as of writing, Citrine's Last Wish came out. DE made a change to cloth rendering that smoothed out the mesh deformation on cloth physics.

On 2023-02-16 at 3:00 AM, [DE]Connor said:

Cloth Improvements: 

We softened cloth to reduce the jaggedness that could result from motion causing the fabric to bend, so cloth will now appear more smooth. 

It causes what I can only describe as 'tearing' to appear at the seams on skin geometry where the skeletal mesh ends, and the cloth-simulated mesh begins. Just some light movement reveals the tear, but sometimes it only takes the mere sag of gravity. Many different bug report threads have been made, most going completely ignored by DE. This thread is a compilation of every skin with this issue. If I missed any, point it out!

These were taken in Captura with a red background. Seams are marked in light blue.

Harrow Reliquary - Cloth on the sides of his shoulder pads.

f71gd8.png

Harrow Reliquary - Cloth from his skirt.

tczl7s.png

Harrow Reliquary - Loincloth hanging from his ribcage.

4qgpas.png

Harrow Reliquary - Cloth hanging on his front.

6ftvcu.png

Revenant Mephisto Syandana - Cloth on the front.

lznoxa.png

Revenant Mephisto Syandana - Cloth on his collar. I almost missed this one! Seam continues past the '. . .' , too thin to mark.0i1myq.png 

Revenant Mephisto Body - Cloth on his skirt.

p4p7cc.png

Zephyr Harrier Jacket - Sides of her jacket. I rolled backwards to reveal this seam.

so07ht.png

Zephyr Harrier Jacket - Her jacket collar.

w2ycgr.png

Nyx Pasithea Body - Her skirt. This tear is rather large.

gx6d7g.png

Gauss Default Skin - His skirt. I fed Gauss to Helminth, but I was able to spot this by selecting Gauss in arsenal and jostling the poor fella around. It seems like some of the geometry intersecting the cloth and skeletal meshes are duplicated, which the smoothing reveals.

sdo19h.gif

Edited by Erra
Removed 'Warframe' from the post title, as it's not just Warframes as reported by other users
  • Like 17

• Erra changed the title to Cloth has been ripping/tearing on dozens of Warframe skins ever since the cloth smoothing update - a compilation.

You can add Nidus Prime to the list too:

Spoiler

And Volt Prime as well. Don't have footage nor pics, but both Volt's default mesh and Volt Prime's mesh skirts disattach from the main body (it's a single piece, so instead of "breaking" it kind of "floats"), while before the origin point was mantained. I've also noticed the same happen on Excalibur's Zato "skirt", where instead of keeping glued to his waist the animations treat it as a holstered melee on the tigh, instead of the attaching points being respected.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The fact that cloth has been broken for well over a year is... odd ngl, especially after putting out a "fix" for cloth that broke it further.

It feels like very few things were checked over before implementing the "fix" and it was just assumed everything will be fine. I'd really like to see this resolved as it makes many skins kinda distracting once you notice the tears

• Like 2

On 2024-03-10 at 10:16 AM, Stormandreas said:

The fact that cloth has been broken for well over a year is... odd ngl, especially after putting out a "fix" for cloth that broke it further.

It feels like very few things were checked over before implementing the "fix" and it was just assumed everything will be fine. I'd really like to see this resolved as it makes many skins kinda distracting once you notice the tears

the Valkyr one is real bad since her hysteria and agile animation stretches the model out to much on the left side. It seems like it puts he left shoulder to far back

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you can add one more about Wisp

Her default helmet has the backside scarves torn.

Sad that the jigglebone connections are busted...

Predasites are not Warframes tho, but they too have cuts on their ears and tail.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...