The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Toxin proc vs slash proc

(PSN)civic-cabin4

Question

So when whispers of the wall update came out magnetic proc got nerfed so it's more manageable now which is a good thing but this got me thinking I don't need arcane nullifer in steel path do I? I can't really do steel path just yet but building my builds up what proc is more dangerous in steel path to go against when it inflicts your warframe between the two slash or toxin I know that there's abilities but I run nullifer and want to swap it out for my tank build it's chroma prime but I mean for more or less squishy frames where they don't have much survivability in steel path what would be more priority you'd think toxin right? Well I think slash because how often it procs but toxin ignores shields so I like to hear your opinions 

6 answers to this question

I don't have the slash arcane and haven't been tempted to acquire it.   I just don't find slash procs that dangerous.   I very rarely slot the Toxin arcane.  Toxin can be quite dangerous to builds reliant on shields...but the arcane only protects against Toxin procs, while Toxin damage itself is the main problem,

Nullifier I slot sometimes.  Mainly in Circuit, occasionally for weird stuff like a Magnetic damage sortie.

• Like 1

Nullifier is sometimes useful, there's a number of enemies that can proc magnetic (like Thrax) - but these are special occasions, it's not a general use arcane.

The other status preventing arcanes have no use however. If a toxin proc was going to kill you, the initial toxin hit already suffices, and everything else gets caught by shield gating. If I were to recommend an arcane it would be "Strike", attack speed is the most important stat on melee weapons, and the arcane is stronger than a primed mod.

• Like 1

It really depends on your loadout and playstyle , and the faction you are up against.

Infested are the ones that can ocassionally do toxin damage , I don't see it as a challenge otherwise.

Slash procs are not as common (i have seen some on grineer tilesets) and can usually be ridden out if you have some shield gating.

Magnetic is also not very common outside of certain traps and unique enemies. I find energy replenishment a better solution than nullifier arcane.

Because the arcane doesn't prevent direct toxin damage, it'd be much better to ignore it completely and use a buffing arcane instead, as long as you equip Rolling Guard which clears out all status effects. If the faction that killed you was the infestation, consider that you shouldn't be struggling in The Last Gasp even at extremely high levels, especially if you have Magus Melt and Eternal Logistics. The Helminth ability "Silence" disables most toxin attacks, besides. A further layer of protection is offered by Vazarin protective slings and the sentinel mod Sacrifice.

Treat your Arcane slots like Mod slots: for an arcane to be worth using, it needs to be giving you a very meaningful benefit.

Arcane Nullifier used to give such a benefit.  At that time, Magnetic procs were really the only kind of procs worth caring about; they trashed your energy and messed up your UI, and that was in some cases worth an Arcane slot to avoid.  But now that Magnetic procs don't entirely hose your energy, these procs are much more tolerable.

That said, don't fall into the trap of thinking you need to find the next proc worth caring about, because there isn't one.  Generally speaking, Magnetic procs are still the worst proc, which means that generally speaking, there is now no proc that is worth modding to negate.  Toxin procs?  That's just damage.  Slash procs?  That's just damage.  You expect your Warframe to take damage sometimes, right?  So why would you waste a whole arcane slot trying to negate only one out of 100 kinds of damage?  You could be getting so much more out of that arcane slot.

For a tanky boy like Chroma, I'd instead suggest something like Arcane Grace which will allow you to passively heal through all damage, or perhaps something like Arcane Energize which would shore up your energy economy, thus allowing you to more sustainably use mods like Blind Rage to increase Chroma's power without breaking the energy bank.  Or do something else! 

For a squishier frame, it depends on what their build is.  If you're using Adaptation, Arcane Guardian or Arcane Aegis can help give them some up-front durability that will allow Adaptation to kick in and make them tankier.  Or if you're not building up a squishy frame's defense, then why even bother trying to prevent a damaging proc when there are 100 other types of damage that will be more likely to kill them?  Instead, use that arcane slot to buff the other things they're doing, just like you would any mod slot.

There is basically no Arcane that would benefit you less than using an arcane to prevent a status proc.  Don't waste your potential, your time, or your resources on those arcanes.