Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why is there such a hatred towards Caliban

Dr.Tursko

Just now, Aldain said:

I'd remove the Anomaly Shards from the farm outright (or at least drop it to 1 per part) and make Narmer Isoplast a 100% drop from completing a bounty in a reasonable size as well as drop it to half of what it is needed per part to craft.

Add in the ability to buy the blueprints for him for Isoplast from Little Duck and BOOM no longer top 3 worst farm in the game.

Such a simple solution… that would definitely help. 
Another reason is the New War gating his farm, so most new players couldn’t get him even if they wanted him. 
While we’re at it… the drop rates from the bounties should also gain an increase… it took too long to get the systems (or was it neuro?)

Just now, Aruquae said:

Such a simple solution… that would definitely help. 
Another reason is the New War gating his farm, so most new players couldn’t get him even if they wanted him. 
While we’re at it… the drop rates from the bounties should also gain an increase… it took too long to get the systems (or was it neuro?)

They're all around 5-8%, while other frames similar like Garuda and Revenant are in the more 10-20 range.

...I swear somebody at DE has to hate Caliban because this poor sod has nothing going for him.

• Like 3

I’m currently working on getting my Caliban back slowly but surely. Having been gifted one of the New War bundles back when the quest was released, I can’t remember which, I used him exclusively for the rest of the star chart. I bring him up every chance I get during their Dev Streams, Community Streams, and even their Dev Shorts on Tuesdays. Maybe one day it’ll make a difference 🤪

• Like 1

On 2024-02-26 at 7:16 AM, Skoomaseller said:

i think it's less "hatred" and more cracking jokes over how forgotten Cacaliban is. it's likely the community's way of telling DE "hey guys, Caliban exists yknow."

i totally understand the developer ignorance part, especially since i main Yareli. she's gotten much more attention, don't get me wrong, but they're still ignoring the bugs that plague Merulina.

I'm not asking for perfection, but i feel that it should be a priority. i suppose DE doesn't feel the same way, given that they're releasing a new augment that overrides Merulina entirely. 

I hope after Inaros, DE focuses on buffing the hell out of Caliban, or outright rework him. I don't think he needs a full kit rework, but something to replace his 1, and massive buffs to his passive, 2, 3 and 4 would do wonders. 

Caliban's existence is truly one of tragedy. Ever since he was introduced, I always felt like he was made just to fill in the loot tables for Narmer bounties, unlike Revenant who is completely bonkers and not just there to fill in the loot tables for Plains bounties. That's a really, really sorry state of existence. 

I think my biggest issue with Caliban is his Passive personally.

You want to make Caliban unique? Why not just give him a Passive that increases all forms of DR for himself and allies by a small amount. Adaptation scales slightly higher, Shields are a bit tougher, the DR from rolling is increased and so on.

Right now his entire Passive is basically just overlooked because most Warframes already use Adaptation in their builds, it's just so strange to me that DE didn't just give him Adaptation for free and boost allies with a weaker version. That would work just as well, really anything is better than what he has.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Greysmog said:

I think my biggest issue with Caliban is his Passive personally.

You want to make Caliban unique? Why not just give him a Passive that increases all forms of DR for himself and allies by a small amount. Adaptation scales slightly higher, Shields are a bit tougher, the DR from rolling is increased and so on.

Right now his entire Passive is basically just overlooked because most Warframes already use Adaptation in their builds, it's just so strange to me that DE didn't just give him Adaptation for free and boost allies with a weaker version. That would work just as well, really anything is better than what he has.

agreed, especially with the last part. What's even more tragic is that installing Adaptation overrides the DR from his passive (but not for allies, but they already have some form of DR anyway), essentially nullifying it, leaving him with barely a passive. 

• Like 1

On 2024-02-26 at 6:39 AM, Marvelous_A said:

He was ignored by the augment and cosmetic department (and I don't know why). While obviously he can receive a lot of QoL buff, he's mechanically a very viable warframe since he does pretty much everything to an ok extent. Maybe people just think he's a very boring warframe without a real niche, and he looks kinda ugly.

A few bug things:

- Caliban's ultimate Fallout Zone effect does not render if you are a client. That's been a problem literally since his release and has never been fixed, which is an awful issue for what is clearly his best ability.

- Caliban's ultimate is supposed to have a vacuum effect. It used to just have the knockback on his release, but when everyone pointed out that that was stupid for what it was, DE made the knockback the Hold effect and added a vacuum effect for the default activation. However, they seem to have missed a zero... or two... on the strength of the effect, because instead of being vacuumed, enemies hit just sort of awkwardly shift a foot and fall over.

- Sentient Wrath suffers from the same bug that Valkyr's Prolonged Paralysis does, where it seems to have one of the lowest animation priorities in the game. This means that any proc or effect that triggers an animation overwrites it, and causes the effect to end prematurely. I do not understand why these effects don't work like Rhino's Stomp, where enemies can be shot with heat or electricity without causing them to pop onto their feet a frame later and keep shooting you.

QOL things/Suggestions:

- Fusion Strike DESPERATELY needs a base casting speed increase. It's, so, slow.

- Even after fixing the bug where it doesn't render, Fusion Strike's Fallout Zone should have its visibility increased, because it can be difficult to see the edges even when you're allowed to see it by being a Host.

- His summon ability should summon all three at once, or the duration on the summons should be increased. Bump up the energy cost if necessary. It's frustrating to have to recast it so much.

- Caliban's passive should stack multiplicatively with Adaptation. There's no reason for it to not.

- Whatever the replacement for his 1 could be - because good lord there is no saving that ability - it should have some form of built-in shield restore to help kickstart the regeneration you get from his 3.

Right now Caliban has one half decent ability (his 4), it's bugged and not as effective as it should be, and there are a dozen other ways to do what it does in the game that doesn't require you to play Caliban. In a somewhat amusing twist appropriate to his lore and appearance, his kit is a mishmash of uncomplimentary abilities. 

So ,if you don't know why he's ignored, those are just a few reasons.

Edited by ShogunGunshow
cleaning text
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ShogunGunshow said:

A few bug things:

- Caliban's ultimate Fallout Zone effect does not render if you are a client. That's been a problem literally since his release and has never been fixed, which is an awful issue for what is clearly his best ability.

- Caliban's ultimate is supposed to have a vacuum effect. It used to just have the knockback on his release, but when everyone pointed out that that was stupid for what it was, DE made the knockback the Hold effect and added a vacuum effect for the default activation. However, they seem to have missed a zero... or two... on the strength of the effect, because instead of being vacuumed, enemies hit just sort of awkwardly shift a foot and fall over.

- Sentient Wrath suffers from the same bug that Valkyr's Prolonged Paralysis does, where it seems to have one of the lowest animation priorities in the game. This means that any proc or effect that triggers an animation overwrites it, and causes the effect to end prematurely. I do not understand why these effects don't work like Rhino's Stomp, where enemies can be shot with heat or electricity without causing them to pop onto their feet a frame later and keep shooting you.

QOL things/Suggestions:

- Fusion Strike DESPERATELY needs a base casting speed increase. It's, so, slow.

- Even after fixing the bug where it doesn't render, Fusion Strike's Fallout Zone should have its visibility increased, because it can be difficult to see the edges even when you're allowed to see it by being a Host.

- His summon ability should summon all three at once, or the duration on the summons should be increased. Bump up the energy cost if necessary. It's frustrating to have to recast it so much.

- Caliban's passive should stack multiplicatively with Adaptation. There's no reason for it to not.

- Whatever the replacement for his 1 could be - because good lord there is no saving that ability - it should have some form of built-in shield restore to help kickstart the regeneration you get from his 3.

I take it you copy pasted it?

It’s hard to read on light mode fellow Tenno. 
I agree with all of those suggestions, this would make Caliban feel so much better to use. 
Edit: Thank you, my eyes are forever grateful 

Edited by Aruquae
Yay

3 hours ago, Aruquae said:

I take it you copy pasted it?

It’s hard to read on light mode fellow Tenno. 
I agree with all of those suggestions, this would make Caliban feel so much better to use. 

Yeah I copy-pasta'd from a comment I made on Youtube discussing Caliban, my b.

• Like 2

If Caliban could do the ropalolyst's laser swarm attack while flying around...instead of his goofy spin ability...i'd play him instantly. He should be able to mimic some of the more powerful sentient enemy abilities natively, as well as hold to summon from a radial wheel, and then tapping to order that summon to teleport to him and perform his special attack.

Yes, he should play exactly like V from dmc5.

Edited by RyllusPurple
addition
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, RyllusPurple said:

He should be able to mimic some of the more powerful sentient enemy abilities natively,

Hold up you might be onto something.

He could be a mimic of a Warframe, a mimic of an heir to the Sentient throne. He could maybe have all his abilities be 'mimics' of the other sentients best abilities, like you said.

• Like 1

I am now imagining Caliban being able to Hold each cast of his 1-3, and when he does, the ability changes to the 1-3 of any squadmates,  rotating through. Like if he had a Rhino in the squad, he could change his 1 to the Rhino Charge, or his 2 to Iron Skin, etc and when Caliban is mimicking your ability, you get a benefit - like more power strength on that ability, or something.

Too fiddly and too much of a headache to code, probably, but that'd actually be kind of wicked as an idea for a mimic.

17 minutes ago, ShogunGunshow said:

I am now imagining Caliban being able to Hold each cast of his 1-3, and when he does, the ability changes to the 1-3 of any squadmates,  rotating through. Like if he had a Rhino in the squad, he could change his 1 to the Rhino Charge, or his 2 to Iron Skin, etc and when Caliban is mimicking your ability, you get a benefit - like more power strength on that ability, or something.

Too fiddly and too much of a headache to code, probably, but that'd actually be kind of wicked as an idea for a mimic.

Sounds more like a funny idea for a completely new frame* when DE develops the tech for it in a year or two.

Spoiler

*A completely new frame that will still get an augment before Caliban, lol.

• Like 3