Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Teshin Quotes] Thread & Far Eastern Wisdom

helioth137

So, my favourite quote by Teshin is spoken in the duviri cave, he says
"There's a sour smell in the air, the entitlement of spoiled children". 
It's not listed on the wiki, but I heard him say it multiple time.
I just think it's hilarious and so fitting, when I consider how some players behave. 

Other good ones:
You are a blade, you exist to strike, the lesson ends. 

Those who brave the thorn may eat the rare fruit

Hesitation makes one vulnerable.
When the unexpected happens, do not hesitate.
Remember this

Recently I started reading Bruce Lee's Daughter's book, all about her Father's wisdom & the Tao Te Ching, 
I find the way they talk about emptiness (the void!) empowering, 
"A usefulness of a room, a cup, a vessel depends on its emptiness, have an empty mind, be formless, shapeless, like water". 
We in the west tend to run away from emptiness, conflating it with things like loneliness and being worth-less or "nothing", but it's actually supremely valuable, and the 
solution to conditions like hoarding, obsessive compulsiveness, and so on. 
The very word "no-thing" and "worth-less" are quite revealing of our conditioned collective consciousness, showing at a deep level that if something is not material, it's considered by many to not exist, but the spirit, and soul are not material things, they are aetherial/ space "non-things"

Q Sun Ra "Space is the place" 
Ok... got slightly off topic there, but concluding (mis)quote here.

Comically attributed to Confucius: only when a fly lands on your testicles do you learn that an axe can not solve every problem

What are some of your favourites ?

Edited by helioth137

"Life deals out few things besides pain. Over the course of your life, you will be hardened by grief, and despair. But from that pain you'll grow sharp, strong fangs, though they may not be the kind you can see. By overcoming grief, you will sharpen the fangs of your heart". 

Not actually a quote by Teshin, but from a character (Seizō Katō ) a few have speculated as being one of the chef sources of inspiration behind a lot of Teshin, a character from the Japanese animated movie (based on a book of the same name) Chirin no Suzu, released in 1978. The movie also covers a few themes and ideas that Teshin also remarks on. War, revenge, death, our place within nature, and so on. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

"Life deals out few things besides pain. Over the course of your life, you will be hardened by grief, and despair. But from that pain you'll grow sharp, strong fangs, though they may not be the kind you can see. By overcoming grief, you will sharpen the fangs of your heart". 

Not actually a quote by Teshin, but from a character (Seizō Katō ) a few have speculated as being one of the chef sources of inspiration behind a lot of Teshin, a character from the Japanese animated movie (based on a book of the same name) Chirin no Suzu, released in 1978. The movie also covers a few themes and ideas that Teshin also remarks on. War, revenge, death, our place within nature, and so on. 

thanks for sharing! (: 

24 minutes ago, AntifreezeUnder0 said:

Your weapons makes music and enemies call for a song!

That's a classic too (:

2 hours ago, VisionAndVoice said:

Space Dad appreciation thread, yay! My personal favourites would be:

"Accept your death and you may yet avoid it", very samurai.

"Awareness and calculation are a tools of warfare", back from the Conclave.

We've got a city to burn, Samurai! (: 

Awareness and Calculation, yes, underused tools/ weapons. 

I like

The Lotus seduced the Tenno. Led them on a complacent path like oxen.

I especially like part about seducing. :D

And I love the thing what happened with Teshin. Such hypocrite :D

5 hours ago, helioth137 said:

Recently I started reading Bruce Lee's Daughter's book, all about her Father's wisdom & the Tao Te Ching, 
I find the way they talk about emptiness (the void!) empowering, 
"A usefulness of a room, a cup, a vessel depends on its emptiness, have an empty mind, be formless, shapeless, like water". 
We in the west tend to run away from emptiness, conflating it with things like loneliness and being worth-less or "nothing", but it's actually supremely valuable, and the 
solution to conditions like hoarding, obsessive compulsiveness, and so on. 

I've recently have been watching about Musashi. He had similar thought about "emptiness". He liked to seclude himself after fights to thought what to improve.

• Like 1