Jade Shadows: Known Issues ×

cold changes are kinda uncool

I was under the impression this would be a buff to cold, basically a 10th stack of cold that would take it from a 90% slow to a 100% one, accompanied with a 'freeze' effect and being marked frozen for things that interact with that, and otherwise act the same.

instead, after an arbitrary 3 second waiting period, the enemies lose 7 stacks of cold for no good reason. you cannot delay/reset this countdown by applying more cold either, enemies will simply ignore further cold procs and they *will* drop back down to a mere 3 stacks, 3 seconds after the freeze occurs.

granted this comes paired with a notable boost to crit damage and disabled shield regen (and obviously 100% slow is better than 90%) but this kind of feels awful compared to the old cold. it used to be able to just permaslow the hell out of enemies, now constant cold application makes them loop through frozen and unfrozen rapidly, which is super annoying. it's already very intense crowd control that just about disables enemies' ability to do anything, why are we not just allowing players to maintain the freeze effect? basically, I don't get why it's cool to have enemies that are frozen solid like 90% of the time (and heavily slowed the other 10%), but we can't have permafrozen enemies? it just feels real underwhelming if I can't keep them frozen through continued cold procs while they're frozen.

even doing *something* to help this would be appreciated, like it doesn't have to reset the freeze duration, it could just add to it with a cap. even if you don't want enemies permafrozen they should build up freeze resistance or something, not just completely ignore further cold procs while frozen and auto-unfreeze afterwards. like make each proc add some time to the freeze, but less and less until it becomes unsustainable.

• Like 9

I'll admit I haven't been able to play with the cold status changes as I had hoped to Because Yareli does cold damage and not cold status with her 1, and 4. I had hoped that perhaps I could build up the stacks with Secondary Encumber, or with companion assist - but the only enemies that it would be effective on at the number of stacks required to trigger it are units that have attenuation and cap off status count.

It kinda feels like the buff was there for frost, and frost alone.

Blast is pretty cool though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

It is affected by status duration.

That’s good to know.

Also, I re-read the OP and identified that I think I misunderstood something originally, and if my interpretation is correct, can see where they’re coming from with the “Not maintaining freezing status despite constantly applying cold”.

Wouldn’t mind a change to that myself, since it makes sense to keep an enemy frozen if you keep freezing them

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Merkranire said:

Wouldn’t mind a change to that myself, since it makes sense to keep an enemy frozen if you keep freezing them

You can basically keep targets frozen permanently--for nearly all practical purposes--anyway, just by applying cold fast enough at the right times.  So that as soon as it thaws, it's got 10 stacks again.  That's not as doable for slow weapons and some abilities though. and not as practical if you want to accomplish other things.

Which makes me think the mechanic could be a kind of safeguard, just to keep silly things from happening, perhaps specifically involving automation. Or maybe it's just a bug / oversight. /shrug.

3 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

You can basically keep targets frozen permanently--for nearly all practical purposes--anyway, just by applying cold fast enough at the right times.  So that as soon as it thaws, it's got 10 stacks again.  That's not as doable for slow weapons and some abilities though. and not as practical if you want to accomplish other things.

Which makes me think the mechanic could be a kind of safeguard, just to keep silly things from happening, perhaps specifically involving automation. Or maybe it's just a bug / oversight. /shrug.

Hm. I guess that makes sense. Like I said I haven’t poked around with it, so I’m not actually familiar with how it actually works

The more i'm experiencing it, the more i want old Cold back. At least i was able to maintain 9 stacks as long as i kept reapplying it. And with each stack lasting 6 seconds, there was some breathing room. Now after 3 seconds at max stacks (which is quite short to take advantage of the double crit damage increase btw), 7 of them are instantly ripped off from us for no reason, thus a lesser slow and lesser crit damage bonus.

It could have been done differently. Ok to make the full freeze not too OP, but without nerfing Cold as it was before. For example, remove only 1 stack after the 3 seconds of full freeze and make the enemy immune of this 10th stack during few seconds. Or as 0_The_F00l said, making it decay like other status.

But as it is right now, the uptime feel worse than before and managing it feel clunky :/

• Like 4

I have extensively tested heat+viral and cold+corr with 2 green shards. Also with the 6m cold spread mod. Even against sp exlimus lvl 190 bombards, heat+viral wins... what the??? above all it is ridiculous that corr proc is suggested for these enemies.......

So this stuff was designed by people who apparently don't test anything and have no idea about the game???

Edited by Venus-Venera
  • Like 1