The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How to transfer MY PROGRESS AND DATA from the game FROM ONE PC TO ANOTHER?

flechaninja

Question

Hello people!!! I'm bothering you with a little concern hoping that someone can help me!! I'm going to change machines, go from a laptop to a tower, thus improving performance and graphics. My question is how to transfer all my WF progress to the new disk, do I just have to download the game again on the new PC while logged into the Warframe page and thus all my data that is already on the server will be installed? Or after downloading the game again do I have to paste my original game folder (previously backed up on a USB) that I have on the old disk on top of it and thus my personal data will be updated?

I would like to thank anyone who reads this and can help me so that I don't make any mistakes.

A hug from Uruguay!!! I apologize if there is any error in the grammar of my text since I used the GOOGLE translator to convert my Spanish to English.

14 answers to this question

Hello!
All data is saved in the Warframe Database. The only thing you will have to do is change your settings back to what these were because these one are local (for the most part)

So yeah, you just have to reinstall the game on your other computer, connect to your account on the log-in screen from the game (like you always do when launching the game) and you can play where you stopped before.

Hope this helped you, and have a nice day!

• Like 1

Your general progress (warframes, weapons, companions, relics, all stuff in your inventory, etc.) is stored on DE's servers and therefore will be available on your new PC once you log in. Only thing (which comes to my mind) that is stored locally are your settings (mouse sensitivity, hud colours and so on).

You can extract those in the explorer via 'C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Warframe'. In that directory a folder consisting of a bunch of random capitalised letters and numbers should be there, inside is a file named 'settings'. Copy that folder and move it on the new PC under the same path as given beforehand.

The folder looks like this:

directory.png

• Like 1

13 минут назад, Skythin сказал:

Your general progress (warframes, weapons, companions, relics, all stuff in your inventory, etc.) is stored on DE's servers and therefore will be available on your new PC once you log in. Only thing (which comes to my mind) that is stored locally are your settings (mouse sensitivity, hud colours and so on).

You can extract those in the explorer via 'C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Warframe'. In that directory a folder consisting of a bunch of random capitalised letters and numbers should be there, inside is a file named 'settings'. Copy that folder and move it on the new PC under the same path as given beforehand.

The folder looks like this:

directory.png

The game settings are stored in the EE.cfg file. The other files aren't valuable (mostly logs and cached data).

Edited by Tesla_Reloaded
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tesla_Reloaded said:

From these files only EE.cfg is valuable. The others are mostly logs and other generated information and only EE.cfg actually stores the in-game settings.

I did not tell to copy anything else besides the 3B1F8...D146 directory. Besides, I did copy my settings to a new OS via only copying said folder, it works.

edit: having been look trough the EE.cfg it seems to store (only) keybinds. Maybe that one can be copied too

(also why would the settings be stored anywhere else if not in the file 'settings' ?)

Edited by Skythin

4 минуты назад, Skythin сказал:

I did not tell to copy anything else besides the 3B1F8...D146 directory. Besides, I did copy my settings to a new OS via only copying said folder, it works.

edit: having been look trough the EE.cfg it seems to store (only) keybinds. Maybe that one can be copied too

(also why would the settings be stored anywhere else if not in the file 'settings' ?)

It's easy to check: delete the "settings" file.

If you're right the game settings will switch to default. But if I'm right then only deleting EE.cfg will reset the game settings to default.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Draft122 said:

All data is saved in the Warframe Database. The only thing you will have to do is change your settings back to what these were because these one are local (for the most part)

Are these still local even? I'd swear I have had my settings saved when doing clean installs even deleting the AppData folder.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tesla_Reloaded said:

The game settings are stored in the EE.cfg file. The other files aren't valuable (mostly logs and cached data).

You also need to copy the settings file, there are other game settings in that one.

-------------------------------------------------------

I normally just copy the,

settings
EE.cfg

I keep a backup of the whole folder somewhere else on the computer for backup reasons when the game messes up and deletes my settings and keybinds, makes it so much easier than trying to configure everything again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flechaninja said:

Hello people!!! I'm bothering you with a little concern hoping that someone can help me!! I'm going to change machines, go from a laptop to a tower, thus improving performance and graphics. My question is how to transfer all my WF progress to the new disk, do I just have to download the game again on the new PC while logged into the Warframe page and thus all my data that is already on the server will be installed? Or after downloading the game again do I have to paste my original game folder (previously backed up on a USB) that I have on the old disk on top of it and thus my personal data will be updated?

I would like to thank anyone who reads this and can help me so that I don't make any mistakes.

A hug from Uruguay!!! I apologize if there is any error in the grammar of my text since I used the GOOGLE translator to convert my Spanish to English.

this is not a mobile game that fakes playing online while storing your data on your phone, forcing you to copy the data from the device

this is a real online game and the real data is saved online, you can also back up your SETTINGS using steam cloud

i will never spend money on a moible game when my save can just be edited to give me the content

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, spider_enigma said:

steam does cloud saves

AFAIK this game does not utilize steam cloud saves for local settings backups; there's many complaints from users switching PCs regarding this and it not saving their keybinds. Profile settings also aren't via steam cloud saves, since players may be on console, epic games, or standalone launcher - they're saved on DE's own servers, presumably not to be locked to one ecosystem.

1 hour ago, Tesla_Reloaded said:

1 hour ago, Skythin said:

Any data that is locally specific is stored in EE.cfg, such as keybindings and some graphics settings; the rest of the settings are stored in the encrypted profile, which should re-download when you log in to a new PC. Weirdly enough, if you initiate a name change this profile alias changes, resetting all of these settings to their defaults (technically it keeps the old folder still, but creates a brand new one for the new username that it uses).

You can migrate both of these over to a new system, though some may get reset if there's resolution issues (i.e. going from 4K to 1440p as native res, the game would realize the new monitor doesn't support that and reset it) or feature differences (HDR can't be enabled on a non-compatible monitor, as an example), so it's worth checking them all in-game again as a one-time thing.

2 hours ago, flechaninja said:

how to transfer all my WF progress

Anything that isn't a setting should be linked to the account, so your progress, mastery, weapons, etc. is all saved on game servers and will be preserved. Most online games do this, since it gives the game devs ownership of the content (i.e. no local manipulation and they can edit things as necessary via support tickets) and allows for players to log in from any device anywhere and keep playing where they left off.

• Like 1

AWESOME GUYS!!! What a nice topic it turned out to be and how much I have learned from your comments.

I have taken notes of everything and I will put it to the test, I see that the main files of this story are 'settings' and 'EE.cfg'.

I can only get my hands on my new computer baby today, so among the things I have to reinstall will be my beloved Warframe and I will be telling you what the results were.

All this is good not only because it can help me but it can also help other grasshoppers to clear up doubts regarding the same topic.

Again THANK YOU ALL for sharing your knowledge.

Hugs to everyone.