Koumei & the Five Fates: Known Issues ×

Atomocycle Feedback

DEDENX

I've been a fan for the longest time, so I hope this critique is taken in the spirit of "I love the game and just want it to be better"...  My thoughts on the Atomocycle in the demo:

1) Mounting animation looks cool but feels incredibly clunky compared to Kaithe, K-Drive, etc.

2) Despite powering through most obstacles, it doesn't handle like it has much weight or power to it.  

3) Controls feel somewhat janky, like the animations aren't smoothly reflecting inputs -- either too much in some cases or not enough in others.

4) Canned animation for dismounting and shooting the bike off into the distance felt slow and unnecessary.  Sometimes you just want to jump off and keep running.

5) After the novelty wore off, did not feel incentivised to use it at all.  It was faster than running but the clunkiness made it feel punishing to use.

Edited by DEDENX
  • Like 15

In the same spirit of criticism for a game we love, I have to be honest, the motorcycle accelerating and steering with the left analog stick doesn't feel good at all. Since we can't use firearms with it anyway, please consider using the right trigger for acceleration, left trigger for braking, and left stick only for steering. 

Edited by TempestSonata
better wording

The lack of a proper break is really jarring to me. The overall control scheme feels optimized for neither M/MB nor for Controllers.

For M/KB at least I would like to propose:

• Ad a button to make breaking possible manually.
  • Make the slide slow you down to a fast stop if there is no directional input.
  • is the mouse is not used, swap the control scheme to W Accelerate, A/D to turn instead of strafe, S to slow down into a backing up after a complete stop. And soft lock the camera with the direction of the bike.
  • Keep the direction of a slide going until it is back to neutral. (currently the bike will flip in slide direction if the camera moves beyond a 180deg. camera angle from the bike when making a full spin turn.) This will mean that it will have to spin a few degrees more, but that is what the player is way more likely to want to do. as the fil will generally smash you into a wall.
  • Same as main post here. Momentum preservation when we jump off. We have ways to make a full stop if we want with a ground slam.
  • It fells very sticky when driving into obstacles. Not full sticky as frames used to have. but sticky still.

Could overall be a pretty fun traversal method though. But even beyond these points is still need some polish.

Edited by Airwolfen
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Airwolfen said:
  • is the mouse is not used, swap the control scheme to W Accelerate, A/D to turn instead of strafe, S to slow down into a backing up after a complete stop. And soft lock the camera with the direction of the bike.

This is the main issue for me, it needs to feel like a bike with more precise steering, not the kaithe where the steering feels a bit like a suggestion. Steering should be removed from the camera (or have an option to turn it off) and we need a manual brake with S, instead of rotating the bike around.

Was really hoping the bikes would have a more...arcade racing feel to them, instead of just a "mount with a different look"

Edited by sobe121
  • Like 2

• Should be able to shoot secondary
  • should be able to swipe ppl with a sword.  BTW this goes doubly for kaithe on duvari.
  • Felt unnecessary on map - the speed seemed inconsistent with the distance needed (or actually not needed) to travel.  Had more fun just walking through level and shooting stuff.  Don't know if the intent in the future is a more open world experience, some kind of combat with bike, or just longer points to go were needing fast transportation, or a chasm to jump or something would actually be required.
  • controls, as others noted, seemed janky.
  • Like 1

Wow the bike was a major disappointment after the initial excitement wore off ... in 10 seconds.

Why is there no brake? its a bike , on the ground , with wheels. Its not a speedboat on a rapid river. We should be able to stop it if needed.

The controls are so obviously a copy paste of kaithes in air i was half expecting it to go NEIGH or arthur to say "its ok boy"

Its so poor for movement in that map , if real bikes moved like this they would never be used in urban areas,

Turning is pathetic , acceleration feels weak , you can turn abruptly or not at all at times? what the #*!% , did Aoi tune it or sabotage it?

Camera follow is weird ,

What the hell is the point of the 1 ability? i am serious , what does it do except look cool for a sec and make you crash into a wall?

The 2 would have been cool , if it actually went where i wanted it to , i have yet to see it ht things i planned to.

Lack of weapon use i could overlook (seriously , being able to just go road rash whack or use the secondary weapon would have been nice but its ok if it doesnt exist)

I get that vehicular movement is not DEs strong suite , but i didnt realise DE staff never rode a bike or racing game in their life.

i give it a 1/5 for the bike feel,

I really hope , this is not how the final product is going to feel like. I normally take things in stride , but for some reason i just cant accept this level of shoddy work from DE.  A real shame.

Edited by 0_The_F00l
  • Like 3

Dont tell me, as a SIM player  after the initial Riding out of the HQ scene i was stuck on the bike for 5 min.

Why?

I didnt know how to accelerate with my Dual Sense on PC... My SIM racing brain tought the TRIGGER Right and Left where Accelerate and break.

When i found out you need to hold the left stick, felt so unnatural to me.

Left stick up and down should be to make tricks or balance the bike, Right Trigger or R2 should be Accelerate and Left Trigger or L2 should be break.

Shooting with secondaries could be AutoAim to closest target and done with Square (DualSense) or X (Xbox).

Or even better, let us use Melee on bikes, Guns are an Archwing thing, Secondaries and tricks are a K-Drive thing, Melee could be a bike thing... You know, Bike gangs?

Other than that i loved it.

Edited by VasjaTheOx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tucker_d_dawg said:

Felt unnecessary on map - the speed seemed inconsistent with the distance needed (or actually not needed) to travel.  Had more fun just walking through level and shooting stuff.  Don't know if the intent in the future is a more open world experience, some kind of combat with bike, or just longer points to go were needing fast transportation, or a chasm to jump or something would actually be required.

This is what I'm curious about.  Is it just an empty hype device, or does it serve a purpose beyond inherently ephemeral novelty?  Will it become as immediately vilified as K Drives were, or will it grow into something useful and worthwhile?  I know this isn't exactly analogous, but I was incredibly disappointed with archwings when I first encountered them, only to grow to like my Amesha for RJ and open world content.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sunderthefirmament said:

This is what I'm curious about.  Is it just an empty hype device, or does it serve a purpose beyond inherently ephemeral novelty?  Will it become as immediately vilified as K Drives were, or will it grow into something useful and worthwhile?  I know this isn't exactly analogous, but I was incredibly disappointed with archwings when I first encountered them, only to grow to like my Amesha for RJ and open world content.  

Amesha is like Switching to Trinity in open worlds, feel like you have 2 warframes at once. 

I wish DE released Amesha Prime...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VasjaTheOx said:

Amesha is like Switching to Trinity in open worlds, feel like you have 2 warframes at once. 

I wish DE released Amesha Prime...

Truly the only Prime Archwing I would ever welcome.  Honestly, Amesha might as well be the only Archwing these days.  But I digress.  Maybe I'll grow to like the atomicycle as much as I do Amesha, but... right now all I'm getting from it is hype bait.  It's cool to show it off in stills and trailers, but I'm worried that's all it is.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sunderthefirmament said:

Truly the only Prime Archwing I would ever welcome.  Honestly, Amesha might as well be the only Archwing these days.  But I digress.  Maybe I'll grow to like the atomicycle as much as I do Amesha, but... right now all I'm getting from it is hype bait.  It's cool to show it off in stills and trailers, but I'm worried that's all it is.

They just need to make it unique.

Archwing:

+ Quick Flight, ArchGuns and Arch Melee only (no more primery and secondaries even in open world), Has 4 abilities

- Can be swatted of the skies realy fast like flies

K-Drive

+ Can do tricks, use secondaries, Harder to detect (Should be almost stealthy), goes over bodies of water, can jump high, Is realy agile

- Can only use secondary weapon, Cant fly, Limited protection (Provided only by the warframe)

Keith

+ Can fly, should be able to use Primery, Secondary, and a limited or should have a specific Keith Riding Melee (spear, Lance), Has more armor and shield and it is harder to get downed

- Not exactly fast, Big target easy to detect, does not have many abilities

Necromech

+The highest protection availble, has only Arch Guns and melee, has a full set of abilities

- Realy slow, The biggest target on the battle field, very loud, clunky

Atomicycle

+The fastest vehichle in the game, Agile and can take turn, can use Secondaries (limited on autotarget), can use melle or specific melee (limited, like swords or bo stuff) 

- Feels heavy, cant jump high, Protection limited to that of the Warframe

Right now the Necromech is the only one that is made correctly, everything else feels kinda off, and they all blend into something a bit meh.

Edited by VasjaTheOx

the thing that made the bike feel wierd to me was putting it in a small, tight level where you don't really need to cover ground that quickly and do need to be dismounted to fight enemies, so we're effectively testing it while it's completely out of its element. That I think is skewing a lot of the feel of it.

That said, the thing that really needs to be dealt with is the lack of a proper accelerator or brake; the current movement feels off compared to what you'd expect a bike to be since it feels like there's less forward momentum than there should be, and not being able to do anything to stop or slow down when you want to is really off putting, ironically in a way that would make more momentum worse if it came in on its own.

If they got that down it'd either be great or really simple to come good; the sense of speed is there, the jumping and stunts are fun where the tileset permits. The slide seems to take a bit of getting used to; because the back wheel goes in the direction you press it turns the bike the opposite way; feels like that might be a bug, or at least is easy to correct. If not, maybe it'll feel different with everything tightened up. Hard to know just yet; it feels a bit silly and over the top as a slide, but in a fun intentional sort of way that fits with the rest of the vehicle.

All in all it feels not quite perfect yet, but not far off.

I leave my opinion and suggestions about Amotocycles here so as not to create another thread on the same subject.

As others have commented, I agree that the Atomocycle is the main problem with this demo.

The controls feel weird, like hard, it doesn't feel like you are driving a motorcycle, especially if you play with mouse and keyboard.

The design or location of the map doesn't help much to drive it freely, since there are many obstacles or very narrow places that unfortunately force you to get off the motorcycle and continue the rest of the mission on foot.

I think that for me is the only “bad” of the demo, that is to say the motorcycles, which at least for me were the most expected or novelty of this demo.

Here I leave some suggestions for the atomocycle:

• Improve the driving to make it smoother.
  • Possibility to Accelerate, brake and reverse. (It feels strange that when trying to brake, the bike suddenly makes a 180º turn to continue forward or add a key that performs that function separately)
  • Possibility of shooting with secondary weapons. (as it happens with the k-drives)
  • That they can do like a “Dash”. (similar to The Archwings)
  • Possibility of hitting enemies with the bike. (Example some combo as they are supported with the front wheel and hit them with the rear wheel, I do not know if I explain well).

Those would be my suggestions, sorry if my English is not good, I had to help myself with a translator.

Thanks!

Edited by MaxSaga
  • Like 1

The controls feel horrible. This doesn't handle like a bike; it handles like a k-drive with a longer hitbox. Except you can't do anything on it because weapon s are locked out. All you can do it try to run people over for minor damage or send it in as a poorly aimable kamikaze.

Needs actual bike controls and handling (drifts, skids, etc.) and the ability to use weapons from it. It would be cool if you could mod it to do the weapons differently, ie you can equip it to drive one handed and with a pistol, or with a gimbaled primary or heavy, or with a variety of melee attachments (spikes to do damage if you slide into people, lances to get them from the front, blades to slash people if you drive past, etc.).