The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Eurogamer Warframe Review

AudioRejectz

I have been playing warframe for Months now and have totalled several hundred hours of game time. I bought tier 3 founders package and am eyeing up those prime access packs (However I want to point out I don't want the frame or the weapons, just the exclusives... DE shouldn't ruin drop tables for Moeny! *cough* wrong topic). SO I just want to say I believe in this game and will be playing it for a while to come. 

However that being said I have to say though this review is harsh I cannot condemn his points. Firstly be aware this is a PS4 Review so they are running an unstable update 10 build without some of the newer faire. I bet you the damage system and codex alone might have bumped this to a 5.

This is a fairly honest review. The game is still in dire need of more diversity and depth in objective and lore. Also the early game is AWFUL. I do not know why DE did not focus on getting a better intro and tutorial sorted before releasing on PS4. The last few live-streams have mentioned a new tutorial is in the works. However we would have probably got an update on this but last weeks stream was postponed. AI was brought up in the review and though the AI has been improved it still needs some work. Warframe is not a finished product by far so a review of only 4 is not that bad. Hopefully we will get a new stream this week and get some nice info of the next development of the game. I am hoping for the Sabotage and mobile defence reworks. 

Edited by MDRLOz

Functional yet not amazing AI or a tutorial that explains the basic controls (gasp?) are examples of nitpicky things one would not normally deduct points for.

And yet, the tutorial fails to teach mechanics such as walljumping or helicoptering, either of which is needed to negotiate that one gorge in the Corpus Outpost, I assume the reviewer found further down in his review.

This review is almost accurate because this game still beta and have so much thing what DE can doing with on. For the fairness 5/10 because this game is still have potentials but something goes wrong. Something what they tried is correct because still the game feeling is only kill something make weapons or buy stuff and that's all and the variations and designs still lack.

Btw, hi Megan.

Warframe game have many positive sides, however this product have a lot of negative ones. A lot. Without going down to a list and making this another rant thread. Here is key point from my perspective:

Lack of actual content to play. On this field game is in stagnation phase, and all new weapons or frames won't fix that. Developer must fix this issue.

Out there you can find a lot of games similar to WF, and no tight or heart-shape asses of Nova or Ember or whatevet won't help with the fact that WF as a game is lacking most important part - gameplay and overall content to play.

So yes review is pretty much accurare.

Edited by Althix

just going to throw this out there wither it be against the majority opinion.

first of all almost everyone who says this is so wrong, is a founder and/or bought prime access so of course you will fight this.

second of all read it as if you didn't already know the game and then compare your knowledge of it

if you read it while the whole time already thinking how wrong it is, you wont see that there are few truths in it.

open your eyes first to see that you're really in the sheep heard, and who's the Shepard? DE

The review is pretty accurate, but a review of a game thats still nowhere near leaving beta is pointless.

Also, just because the review is accurate, doesn't make it any less harsh, he hammers home the negatives, like the poorly explained controls, the thin on the ground lore, the appalling new player experience and the repetative nature of the missions, but misses the fluid movement, solid gunplay and potential to actually improve the areas he found so lacking.

The short of it is, noone can call the review inaccurate, however, reviewing a work in progress is never going to compare to reviewing a finished product.

This review is harsh but in some ways it speaks the truth. This game is a grinder and just the players immune to this are able to enjoy this game for a long time. This game lacks content although it is getting better very slowly. The new playmodes are a start, but DE has a lot of work to do. No new weapons, but real content.

The review is pretty accurate, but a review of a game thats still nowhere near leaving beta is pointless.

Also, just because the review is accurate, doesn't make it any less harsh, he hammers home the negatives, like the poorly explained controls, the thin on the ground lore, the appalling new player experience and the repetative nature of the missions, but misses the fluid movement, solid gunplay and potential to actually improve the areas he found so lacking.

The short of it is, noone can call the review inaccurate, however, reviewing a work in progress is never going to compare to reviewing a finished product.

Are you saying warframe should get immunity from reviews until and if it leaves "beta" (Which ceased to be beta some time ago, by the way)?

reviewing a beta game... lol'd

Aaaah the good ol' "beta".

Pre-damage 2.0 this game was a released game pretending to be a public beta but actually using an alpha build.

Now it's starting to look more like a beta.Xept for the whole released with a fully working freemium currency market.

Edited by Cabadath5

Aren't they working on the bosses thing, one boss at a time? That would take a while but I guess the only boss that the reviewer ever met was Captain Vor

"unforgivably, there's no way of seeing or comparing the stats between two different items, so you'll mostly make your choices based on what looks cool"

0_______________0

But yes, Warframe isn't a very newb-friendly game. 

Review does raise plenty of valid points regarding the lack of depth, lore and also about the sheer amount of grinding in Warframe, which, to be fair are points that have been discussed to death on these forums as well. Although the 4/10 (below average) rating does seem bit of a nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking - especially when things like basic tutorials or "generic" setting are being bashed, while the reviews for AAA games from big publishers are given free pass on these things.

Whilst an extremely subjective review that we mihht all disagree with, it definitely strikes on some valid points.

Not friendly to new players.

UI could use comparison option.

AI leaves something to desire.

I would add that he does have a point with the map design; with the exception of the Grineer Galleon bridge, there are no rooms on the Grineer and Corpus ships, for example, that look distinctive enough for me to think "ah, this is the cargo bay/engineering" etc. Simply put, every time my friend and I get separated, we end up saying "I'm in the other room" "what other room?" to each other.

And of course, there's the rather glaring issue of sometimes going through the same room twice to progress. If it weren't for the mini-map, I'd think I was going round in circles.

He said "fictional additions". I think he needs to review his astronomy.

I do agree with the other though, the last line was uncalled for and just shows that the reviewer may have only played the game for less than a few hours at least. Although the article feature a picture of Vor and a Grineer Helion, I don't see any pictures relating to Ruk, Lech Krill, Lephantis, or Raptor. IMO, the reviewer blasted through the stages without appreciating the branching missions and objectives. I don't even think he knows there are void missions.

Overall, IMO this review needs to be remade, with another perspective and longer gameplay. I've read some of his other "reviews" and have found that this person really has a harsh vocabulary. Who is this guy anyway? It says on the website that he's been writing reviews since 2006. So what? I've been playing games since 1989 and I think I have a better grasp of games than this guy. If the reviewer was Kojima (Creator of Metal Gear) or was an executive of Activision, I may have put some weight on the review. But this guy? meh.

Aren't they working on the bosses thing, one boss at a time? That would take a while but I guess the only boss that the reviewer ever met was Captain Vor

"unforgivably, there's no way of seeing or comparing the stats between two different items, so you'll mostly make your choices based on what looks cool"

0_______________0

But yes, Warframe isn't a very newb-friendly game. 

they've been doing the one boss at a time for as long as i can remember now. and how many boss's have been redone? 2 ruk and vor. how many new ones at the same time? 2 raptor and lephantis. 

what i see a lot when a lot of people complain to DE about something not being good is they simply throw new things on it instead of fixing it. 11.1 is a great example!