Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Infestation Should Be Scarier.

LascarCapable

I like it how everyone in the council made a blood pact of sorts with the devil to not tell anyone about anything or face death if the do so. T_T Still I hope it's something that will make them creepier.

It's mostly because the Com Mods would remove the post if it did share details.  On the official forums, anyway.  You're more likely to find details on other sites like /vg/ if you're really itching to know.

If not, then suffice it to say that it will make one form of Infested enemy slightly creepier/noticeable than they are now.

Gag. PLEASE none of these ideas. Darker ships just make it annoying to see. They're already dark enough, try running with a bow.

I think the old ancients were creepier than the current ones, the whole flopping body thing was rather disturbing, and made them hard to kill(very tough to headshot). The little cthulu wannabes are less scary and more annoying. Adding more unnatural movements would increase the creep factor.

For an actual difficulty change, they could have units with traction. Imagine if infested could move along any surface of a ship--wall, floor, ceiling, rails, and could drop down from above. There would be nowhere safe, nowhere sound, and just when you think you're done clearing a hallway, more could leap from the ceiling behind you.

I'm not sure I really WANT that, but it'd be interesting.

Cuthulu wannabes!? Ahahahah. awesome!

The problem with fear in a game where you have means to combat the source of the fear is that the fear is short lives. If you can kill it, it's not scary for long. Cheep scares like busting through doors/windows/vents/etc. only last for so long before the shock factor runs out. Audio cues can be scary, but the standard hisses, growls and screams are a dime a dozen.

I'd prefer if the Infested show through their current state, speaking in broken tones of madness and half memories of their former lives. I find the insanity of the monster to be far more frightening than its appearance or it's physical behaviors. To hear how truly gone from lucid thought these creatures are now that they are what they are would be more scary than anything they could do to their AI or designs if you ask me...

The problem with fear in a game where you have means to combat the source of the fear is that the fear is short lives. If you can kill it, it's not scary for long. Cheep scares like busting through doors/windows/vents/etc. only last for so long before the shock factor runs out. Audio cues can be scary, but the standard hisses, growls and screams are a dime a dozen.

I'd prefer if the Infested show through their current state, speaking in broken tones of madness and half memories of their former lives. I find the insanity of the monster to be far more frightening than its appearance or it's physical behaviors. To hear how truly gone from lucid thought these creatures are now that they are what they are would be more scary than anything they could do to their AI or designs if you ask me...

aye that's why combat less horror games usually are scarier than others.

and yes sound is really important when it comes to making thing scary or well anything.

i mean a source engine teddy bear could be horrifying with the right sounds.

Yes please.

Lately i have tried to avoid infestation as much as possible. They look stupid, they act stupid and they're just a pain to fight against.

Most of the infestations looks silly as well.

Im so sick of seeing the same charger 300 times a mission. Isn't it possible to change the color of them, to make it A BIT varied?

Id like a rework on infestation to make them a lot more scarier.

I think they should have built the infested out of randomized model pieces, it wouldn't have had to have any game effect, just a half dozen random different heads, arms, legs, torsos, etc. for each creature and at least they'd look more haphazard and biological, the grineer are supposed to be the clones after all.

I think they should have built the infested out of randomized model pieces, it wouldn't have had to have any game effect, just a half dozen random different heads, arms, legs, torsos, etc. for each creature and at least they'd look more haphazard and biological, the grineer are supposed to be the clones after all.

That sounds interesting :o randomized models could also change their head size models and critical spots where they take increased damage too,making it slightly more difficult or easier to hit depending on what you fight

I like the idea, but after a while they won't be creepy at all anymore, and they'll just be "another infested thing". So to make them more special, I suggest that they should only make an appearance on Orokin Derelict missions.

Maybe even just the assassination mission.

I admit that when I'm in solo infestation mission, I feel creepy. Dark halls, especially in spaceship, without anyone else besides the infested in the whole ship, with all that creepy infested stuff covering the walls...

I dunno, it just brings the System Shock 2 feeling for me.

Actually, the idea of them being able to leap from walls, etc. is a good idea. It would add more verticality to combat.

I think the other thing that makes them not-so-scary is that right before most of them attack, they stop and wait. The Ancient will keep the distance then hit you once with the tentacle. Imagine more of the Charger from Left4Dead2 and them clothes-lining you. The leaper waits, shakes, then pounces.

No matter how creepy they are modeled or how they sound. When you get exposed to them to the amount we are as with any other enemy. It all fades into tedium. Stalker was only reinvigorated in scariness because hes so damn impossible without just the right setup and hes completely random.

Only way to make infested scarier is special units worse than ancients that can come out of the woodwork randomly. Like a phorid giant that can burst out of the wall or ground on random tile sets in a way you cant see it telegraphed. Its weakness: it cant follow through doorways and its immune if the AI knows it cant reach a player so no cheating it. Like a boss but you can run away.

I think you want something like this

-snip-

That was seriously a freaky film.  I forgot which one it was, but I saw it.  lol.  Fits the infested theme perfectly.  Some kind of pathogen arising from a corpse trapped in ice right?  (what was the name if this film?)

As for being on topic.  It's been mentioned before, but I really wish the infested chargers would run on the walls and celiings and well...  CHARGING at you from all angles.

I would love to see more variety or even new types of infested creatures.  One idea I had while reading this thread is to expand on the growths we see all over infested missions.  It would be an enemy that is caught in this stuff and spews some damaging liquid, like a toxin or corosion or something like that.  Basically an infested turret.

hmm i think at the moment the infested wont be able to walk on the walls cause of the engine being unable to work on the "upwards" axis or whatever its called (Im tired so brain no work well) but on none defense or exterminate missions they could have vents in the roof where infested could spawn and drop down on you