Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Is The Purpose Of Melee?

Hixlysss

Melee just feels like it needs it's weapons base stats buffed up to make up for the simple fact of one little detail, one teeeny, tiny, little detail.

There is no such thing as Melee Multishot.

The great multiplier that truly sets any gun apart from any melee, is that every gun gets 90-180% more damage, from multishot. (Depending on if it's a Rifle, Side arm, or Shotgun.) That no melee can ever get.

That, and weapons like the Vastos, a decently easy to make side arm that is considered 'okay' has a comparable base damage to the Reaper prime, one of the 'better' melee weapons in the game. Sure the vastos don't cleave, but I can shoot my vastos considerably faster than I can swing my reaper, have range, and can just turn around and get just as much out of them as my Reaper. So they already have a considerable advantage over one of the 'better' melee weapons, before you even factor in the 180% Multishot potential.

* An indirect fix to make meleeing more viable across the board for ALL Warframes would be to improve blocking. Make blocking a worthwhile mechanic already!

Right now, blocking is next to useless; sure you can block some damage but you have to be actively doing so and while holding down block, your stamina drains away.

Feels like stamina regen should simply be halted while holding down block and not drained (unless taking damage which is blocked). Likewise, the amount of damage reduction should be dependent on the weapon used. Light weapons should have less damage reduction but likewise, drain much less stamina when actually blocking while heavier weapons should soak a lot more damage but also eat up more stamina per impact.

Also, given the current status effects, it would be nice if blocking prevented procs upon the player as long as they are blocking and have stamina to spare. It would add a very useful purpose to blocking by making it so that running into live fire from enemies to close in the distance safer since you wouldn't be procced bleeding and such effects. Likewise to reduce effects of knockdown to a stagger and a stagger to being nullified.

If melee weapons had something to make them viable, by themselves, and not necessarily only in term of damage, then surely they'd be a better appreciated part of a Tenno's loadout than a decorative piece that sometimes gets powered up with an ability to be swung about.

There's a huge difference between "Viable" and "Complimentary."

Melee is complimentary to both Warframes and different user's playstyles.

If all the mods were the same, it would not only be boring, but it wouldn't allow certain types of weapons to have higher base stats in certain regards.

Giving a crit mod, for example, only +60% max allows for that certain weapon to have a much higher crit chance base without always maxing out at 100% like any rifle would.

Not if they all added 150% like the rifle chance mod, which is seriously what they should do. Currently, rifles have the utter most OP combination of mods, allowing them to do the most crazy of damage. But if everything was buffed up to that level it would be great.

Not if they all added 150% like the rifle chance mod, which is seriously what they should do. Currently, rifles have the utter most OP combination of mods, allowing them to do the most crazy of damage. But if everything was buffed up to that level it would be great.

Pistols have 180% Multishot, and you missed my point.

There's a huge difference between "Viable" and "Complimentary."

Melee is complimentary to both Warframes and different user's playstyles.

Really it's more along the lines of Melee and Warframes are complimentary to Guns. :/

Guns are mandatory and your pick of Melee and Warframe are just flavor. It is pretty stupid, but your Warframe is as much of an accessory as your Melee weapon.

All that would be needed to make Melee VERY viable is:

Make Melee PROC LIKE CRAZY.

Want stun? Mod for it!

Want st strip armor? Mod for it!

Want AOE knock-down? Mod for it!

Thus Melee becomes THE utility move. Boss with moutains of HP armor? Corrosion from P1 and Viral from P2. Boom kill it now.

Getting swarmed? Othos or Galatine with Blast! Now you just keep 'em down for the rest of the group to hose with gun fire!

All by you poor lonesome vs the infested? Blast + Corrosion! Sure it may take a few swings, just keep hacking away till your escape craft is in sight!

most melee weapons used to perform a kind of "stagger on hit" effect on enemies (allowing you to close ground and interrupt a mob that's shooting you), but since dmgv2 i can spam melee in a corpus/grineer's face and they are shooting at me the whole time, the only way to prevent this is to jump/slam atk them repeatedly AFAIK

kinda stupid

this game is concentrating on the shooting aspect now that DAMAGE 2.0 is out. the melee is pretty much Obsolete in my opinion..... in my opinion...

i was waiting for someone to make a thread about this topic and category

Opinions in orange. Agree to disagree.

Yes, it is an opinion. I do find it stupid. Good on you. Colored text is fun.

Edit: Anyways, so you think it is fine that Warframes are a mere added flavor?

Why do you think melee must be complimentary only and a poor compliment at that?

Edited by ragdollomega

Pistols have 180% Multishot, and you missed my point.

180% with two mods. Even then though, that should be evened out. Basically, mods that tweak the same stat should cost and do the same amount across the board. 150% chance to crit for every weapon would allow for more than just the Soma/Synapse to be crit machines. 

As for your point for "Certain weapons having higher base stats in certain regards" you said it yourself. Higher base stats. The mods mean nothing unless the base stats compliment the mod enough. Example, Soma. 30% chance to crit base, plus 150% rifle mod makes it have 75% chance to crit. Put that same amount on the crit mod for Melee weapons, the highest they get up to in crit chance is 25%, meaning they can do a max chance of 62.5 chance to crit, less than the soma but still effective.

And again, for certain weapons to have their "Better than X at doing Z" that is what those nightmare mods are for. Hammershot to add a little extra damage to crits, leathal torrent to add more to multishot, ect.

3rd on wanting something like news and also general agreement, since I've been badgering on the forums given the current nearly click-and-autoattack MMORPG "push buttons, watch animations, trade damage until someone falls down" feeling of melee is more or less annoying me to sadquit point. I don't rage well.

melee rework incoming, so i would wait before speaking.

I third the Citation Needed statement.

As of yet I have not seen/heard any kind of news of a hard rework. The only thing we've seen at all in actual work is the addition or subtraction of weapons and not even in a good way recently.

I think he might be talking about the few times in live stream where they voiced some ideas they wanted to think about doing (like chaining regular with charge attack) which in no way is an actual promise of a rework. If not, then this guy really needs to come in with some citations.

In the mean time, ignore what he has said and continue the subject of this thread.

Because sometimes the enemy gets in your face and you need to reload.

Well, then you jump over, and finish reloading and then pump more bullets into them.  Because the amount of attacks needed with a Non-Orthos or modded Galatine to take out most mobs, will still kill you faster than getting out of there and reloading.  Remember, you stop reloading every time you swing a weapon.

Edited by Nagisawa