The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Official Unofficial Pvp Thread.

CosyPigeon

The devs have made it pretty clear that they have no plans to implement PVP any time in the future, and that they don't want PVP discussions all over their nice shiny forums. So I thought I'd try creating a PVP discussion thread here. Since their PVP sticky says it's ok to discuss PVP in the off topic forums.

This thread is a place for players to come up with ideas for PVP.

Things to consider for PVP:

How would they balance the different warframe abilities against each other?

How would they balance the differences in equipment levels and overcharged weapons\warframes vs non overcharged weapons\warframes?

Since levels in war frame are randomly generated by tile sets, would they have to make new tile sets for PVP, or make balanced PVP only maps?

Would there be any experience and equipment gain in PVP, and how would it compare to the PVE?

Post your thoughts people!

first thing.... well constructed post OP =]

certainly there is no harm in having a consolidated place for the community to voice ideas on PVP, and this is better than having 100234234 threads of " THIS GAEM NEEDS PVP NAO!"

IMHO the best idea is to have all Tenno involved "naked" in the sense that all frames/weapons would be equalized somehow (ie no mods, but then again mods are going away anyways), this allows tactical decisions like whether to bring a gorgon or a snipetron and you don't have to worry about ppl with 6 multishot mods on their weapons (allows the different weapons and frames to stand on their own as different choices)

of course balancing the various frame abilities is a whole nother bag, but i think just having everyone on equal footing is a good start (we can already see what it's like to fight against a lot of the frame abilities as many bosses use them on us right now)

maybe have level brackets, like 10/20/30 (you have to be at the minimum level but once you join everyone is locked at a certain effectiveness, ie lvl 15 becomes 10, lvl 23 becomes 20) of course this would mean you'd have to have a different loadout/spec for PVP

I wouldnt mind some PVP specfic maps, but I also wouldn't mind being able to go at it in some of the randomized maps as well (the grineer asteroid bases seem like a great place for some fighting), of course at least a few map generation changes might have to be implemented, as is right now the generator creates very linear maps, and PVP maps would be better with more interconnected layouts with multiple paths across the map (and homebase tiles for CTF style maps)

anyways, that a few of my ideas

Dunno why you guys wouldn't want PVP, I mean, if the devs focus on getting the co op game out first and then use PVP as an excuse to add new content in the future, I don't see why that would be a bad thing. It certainly worked well for Black light, although they did it in reverse order.

Dunno why you guys wouldn't want PVP, I mean, if the devs focus on getting the co op game out first and then use PVP as an excuse to add new content in the future, I don't see why that would be a bad thing. It certainly worked well for Black light, although they did it in reverse order.

It´s a fact that this game never meant to be pvp. It would just become a pay to win game. It´s supposed to be a PVE. And I really cant see how this would be fun when every frame is equal to each other. Trinity for example would be completely useless.

But hey. I dont want to interfere with your ideas for pvp. It´s a thread for it and not a thread to say i hate pvp, so have fun^^

Edited by Venarge

It´s a fact that this game never meant to be pvp. It would just become a pay to win game. It´s supposed to be a PVE. And I really cant see how this would be fun when every frame is equal to each other. Trinity for example would be completely useless.

But hey. I dont want to interfere with your ideas for pvp. It´s a thread for it and not a thread to say i hate pvp, so have fun^^

The new system will change everything since you ll be able to change skills

I don't see how temporary invulnerability and being able siphon health and energy from enemy players would be useless, I think Trinity would be quite deadly if played right. I also don't think that a game being PVP automatically makes it pay to win. To be honest, I'd be happy if they included PVP just as a small arena style deathmatch mode with no balancing at all, they could make it so you don't get much benefit apart from some affinity every time you defeat another player. I just think it would be fun to test my build and skills against another players build and skills in some sort of Tenno training simulator. It would add to the badass space ninja immersion this game gives me, and it would be allot of fun if you play with friends and make a few pre arranged agreements on what level gear you are going to use. That way the Devs wouldn't even have to worry about balance, they could just make a small trainging room and let players have at it in the training room if they cared to do so.

I don't see how temporary invulnerability and being able siphon health and energy from enemy players would be useless, I think Trinity would be quite deadly if played right. I also don't think that a game being PVP automatically makes it pay to win. To be honest, I'd be happy if they included PVP just as a small arena style deathmatch mode with no balancing at all, they could make it so you don't get much benefit apart from some affinity every time you defeat another player. I just think it would be fun to test my build and skills against another players build and skills in some sort of Tenno training simulator. It would add to the badass space ninja immersion this game gives me, and it would be allot of fun if you play with friends and make a few pre arranged agreements on what level gear you are going to use. That way the Devs wouldn't even have to worry about balance, they could just make a small trainging room and let players have at it in the training room if they cared to do so.

If there would be pvp, it should fit into the universe. Im just tired of all those low we want pvp that just implements killing each other. Your idea is more of the thing i would be interested in. I would like to see pvp for the clan system. To find a clan leader, the members would fight against eacht other to see whos the most skilled warrior. He would be the clan leader. Others who want to take his place would need to defeat him and so on. This would add a little bit of story into it. The training you mentioned would be cool as well. I just dont want it to be a dumb brainless deathmatch where everyone is just trying to get kills for the counter ^^

Edited by Venarge

In my opinion, many players started playing warframe with the mind set of it being only PvE as that is still its original intention. I personally like it only PvE as their are plenty PvP games out there already and its a nice change of pace. Of course there is a lot to change before it goes open beta, but again this is just my opinion and i hope it remains PvE. A hub or training center would be nice for parkour training or weapon testing. Nice thread for ideas and opinions nonetheless! Also agree with this:

I just dont want it to be a dumb brainless deathmatch where everyone is just trying to get kills for the counter ^^

Edited by Voracious

first thing.... well constructed post OP =]

certainly there is no harm in having a consolidated place for the community to voice ideas on PVP, and this is better than having 100234234 threads of " THIS GAEM NEEDS PVP NAO!"

IMHO the best idea is to have all Tenno involved "naked" in the sense that all frames/weapons would be equalized somehow (ie no mods, but then again mods are going away anyways), this allows tactical decisions like whether to bring a gorgon or a snipetron and you don't have to worry about ppl with 6 multishot mods on their weapons (allows the different weapons and frames to stand on their own as different choices)

Thanks mate :)

The idea about having the Tenno "naked" in pvp sounds like a good one. Maybe have it so that in PVP each frame get's it's level set to 15 and has all powers unlocked and it's stats locked to lvl 15 version of the warframes base stats for the duration of the match. That way PVP players remain on equal footing whilst not intruding on the PVE game.

In my opinion, many players started playing warframe with the mind set of it being only PvE as that is still its original intention. I personally like it only PvE as their are plenty PvP games out there already and its a nice change of pace. Of course there is a lot to change before it goes open beta, but again this is just my opinion and i hope it remains PvE. A hub or training center would be nice for parkour training or weapon testing. Nice thread for ideas and opinions nonetheless! Also agree with this:

Thats understandable, I don't want PVP to be the main game, I know this game was made with PVE in mind from the outset and I think that's great. I just want PVP to be a fun little extra for me to test my skills against other Tenno.

Wait, why each frame's lvl get set to 15? What about you let above lvl 15 play but there will be few categories like: New players (lvl 0 -10) Medium players (lvl 11 - 20) Advanced players (lvl 21 - 30) Mixed players (lvl 0 - 30)

In that way, people can be equal but can still fight with pros in Mixed players.

Or the categories can be set with the mastery rank.

Maybe a little PVE with PVP... Like, you do a mission with 2 teams and they can slow eachother and the first team that finishes the mission and gets to extractions gets double the credits and double the xp earned during the match while the losing team, well it's like if they done a 4 player party.

I see what your getting at Gryphticon.

I agreeing with Gryphticon here that pvp as in "Player vs. Player" would be nice in the future but DE don't want that right now.

But I don't wanna bash each other frames in the head during an arena match.

I like Gryphticon idea.

Co-op team matches againist each other.

2 vs 2, who fight to finish an objective first

2 vs 2, In a way where it not personal but teamwork required.

(Thus it could be implented as PVE where 1 team find the controls and other team hold the reinforcement back vice versa)

With the coming implementation of blocking, a nice melee only 1v1 would be interesting.

1v1 duels would be fund and relatively easy to implement, perhaps they could add it as a feature to any potential trainign rooms they might add to the game.

First, I would like to say thank you to Rebecca and DE for letting this happen someplace in a limited from. Not every PvP idea needs result in Warframe vs Warframe. There are better games for that kind of combat *cough* Tribes *cough* Chivarly *cough* Arma *cough* whoo, I should get that cough looked at :P . Various kinds of indirect PvP could be quite entertaining down the road and help extend the longevity of play.

Off the top of my head I could see giving another set of players control over normally AI units with acess to those units abilities. Think Left 4 Dead and Survivors vs Special Infected. However this would only really work if the netcode could support 8 players. Something down the road. Direct PvP I know, but something that wouldn't need to see Warframes balanced against Warframes, which is where I sense DEs reluctance really rests. I wouldn't want to try and balance PvE focused content to also work as PvP.

The possible bonus to such a mode would be data collection on how Players react as Enemies, and feed that back into the AI similar to how the latest UT^2 bot for Unreal Tournament 2004, 2K BotPrize, works. This would help ratchet up the higher end difficulty in PvE play for those folks looking for punishment, without resorting to complete outright cheating on the AIs part.

Building on namechange3's idea of hide and seek, I'll point to the TF2 PropHunt mod made by Darkimmortal. This is absolutely hilarious PvP and very in keeping with the "ninja" theme of Warframe. Depending on how a stealth sub-system works it would add to such a "Hide and Seek" mode of "ninja training". With a system that can already drop random fire, ice, loot boxes, and various other objects a PropHunt should be well within the current procedural engine's ability.

The bonus in PropHunt is that players often seek "flaws" in the map to hide out in, which in turn can be reported for general PvE bug fixes.

Edited by Brasten

You know, it could be like L4D in that the opposing side controls special enemy variants, however it should either be on specific maps (planets that have specific PvP maps). So then that way, it would still have the Co-Op that Warframe is building upon, and yet still have a certain aspect of PvP, and regarding the "Pay to win" aspect, the idea I have proposed would sort of eliminate that because you wont be playing as your Warframe, but controlling an enemy type designed be as tough as the Tenno.