Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Has Grinding Become The Norm Of 8Th Gen Games (Includes Warframe)

lMasterBetal

The other day I watched a video made by TotalBiscuit on Forza 5 having Microtransactions. Now this seemed fine and all until I read this:

"In the meantime, we should point out that it is possible to grind away in Forza 5 and earn the requisite tokens to purchase all the cars without having to open your wallet. It just may take a little time..." 

This is not the only Next Gen title to have forms of grinding. In Battlefield 4, DICE added Battlepacks which randomly gave you attachments, forcing you to grind for hours on end in an attempt to get a battlepack to get the attachment you want.

Gran Turismo is another example and so are many others.

I came into PC Gaming at around 2006 and back then I used to play many MMO's and many of them had grinding elements that annoyed the crap out of me. SOO like what TB says half the time, the elephant in the room is no one is talking about grinding being treated as a norm for Triple AAA titles or Launch Titles like Warframe for the PS4. If you do not believe Warframe does not have grinding think again when you farm for Plastids or when you farm for another resource or blueprints. This game has plenty of grinding and DE isn't really trying to fix the problem. If they are, then they are doing a poor job at it especially now that Trading is available.

-Trading is a good idea but due to Warframe Slots and Weapon Slots (Don't BS me DE by saying I can sell my weapons or frames. No one wants to do that.) so now those people have resorted to farming for mods in order to make some form of money.

I love Warframe but seriously DE. I don't want this generation to be soley focused on Microtransactions (It's okay if it's not P2W) and Grinding. Be the leading game indie dev of the generation by reducing grinding. 

I might be wrong but I don't know. 

What do you guys think? Discuss.

nope, its just grindy games that are good tend to make alot of money so they have more marketing budget and get alot of word of mouth because of the number of players, which is why they seem to make up more of a market share :P

Edited by Toddwjp

Simple term for this:

WARFRAME (F2P to P2P) < wasn't suppose to be farming route the > went to the route of FARMING which led to be > being restricted makes you want to buy > Prime Access > P2P route

in my opinion

Edited by edryuu

Why do people continue comparing S#&amp;&#036;ty games with Warframe? Warframe is a good game, the only downside is the excessive grind and the repetitiveness for long therm players. The devs are epic, they listen to the players very carefully. It's the first time I participated in a game forums in my maybe 5 years time of gaming.

Even tho the devs are good, the game just isn't that good. Sure, the bugs are maybe the most fun and the funniest things that happen in Warframe, the rest is just grind grind and grind.

I really wouldn't mind a update just focused on cosmetics so that the devs actually rack some cash and create a less grindy and better game. Release camos, more color palettes, less exclusive things.

This should really help the game in the financial perspective but the players who don't pay don't feel disappointed.

Grinding has been an issue in Warframe for a long time. In my opinion grinding doesn't have to be bad, as long as its under control. However in Warframe its currently out of control, especially when it comes to void rewards.

Edited by kubbi

like when you farm keys for 10 days. then you run 140+ missions. then you need to buy a slot, insert reactor/catalyst in a frame, insert forma? that kind of grinding right?

we shall see. March is near. March. Is. Near.

problem is, that there is nothing to play these nights but grindframe.

Edited by Althix

i still play for fun , sorry guys, grinding is just ...

just wut?

wut would yu want?

i rether build stuff then buying them directly for credit or w/e

but as a side not we should have more weapons directly buyable with credits

The problem is just that you view playing the game as grinding.

most people wouldn't refer to raiding in an MMO as grinding, because it's an engaging and usually fun group experience. In Warframe, you might not be having fun, so anything you do seems like work. When you feel like your work is mindless, not paying off, or excessive, you don't want to do it. This goes for anything. "Grinding" is only as much of an issue as keeping the game fun after 300 hours.

Most games accomplish this with PvP since other players will always be able to adapt and challenge you, other games have endgame such as raids, metagames (see Steve's comments about clan vs clan here), or something along the line of Path of Exile's map system would do well for Warframe, I think.

Edited by VegetableBasket

Like said in previous Post , Warframe is not really Free To Play as intended : 

When i started you could have everything EXEPT founder , which i fully Agree , even if it was unfair , but some paid to get that and support it , 

now ... Prime Access ? Really ?You have to pay to get something which is already in game , but in prime version meaning way better (while the warframes , have theire prime withouth any bonus just one more polarized slot ... And ... Scarf priced very hight...

The problem is just that you view playing the game as grinding.

most people wouldn't refer to raiding in an MMO as grinding, because it's an engaging and usually fun group experience. In Warframe, you might not be having fun, so anything you do seems like work. When you feel like your work is mindless, not paying off, or excessive, you don't want to do it. This goes for anything. "Grinding" is only as much of an issue as keeping the game fun after 300 hours.

You can't say Warframe is not constant Grinding , For getting your mastery highter , you must grind , if you want to forma weapon again ,now I'll even say i played those "card game online" They also require insane grinding (some have pve...)What I can say , its seem like they are using Grinding as game extension , so they get a bit more Game Life , and you know those who can't wait use theire money..

Something to keep in mind is that Warframe has a crafting system, so the grinding material is logical.

Other games put their microtransactions without the need for it, sooner or later forcing payment.

Warframe it has done well, but it seems a bit tight have 3 spaces warframe and do not remember how many of weapons, when you have over 50 weapons and 16 Warframes.

Should provide a method to get those spaces, but at the cost of great effort. At least from my point of view.

Turning to the post ... Do not compare Warframe is an MMO with crafting system, a racing game or shooter.

Some are thieves and not others. ;)

------------------- Español --------------------

Algo a tener en cuenta es que Warframe tiene un sistema de crafting, por lo tanto el grindeo de materiales es lógico. 

Otros juegos meten las microtransacciones, sin necesidad de ello, forzando tarde o temprano el pago.

Warframe lo ha hecho bien, pero me parece un poco ajustado tener 3 espacios de warframe y no recuerdo cuantos de arma, cuando tienes más de 50 armas y 16 Warframes.

Deberían dar un metodo de conseguir esos huecos, aunque a costa de un gran esfuerzo. Al menos desde mi punto de vista.

Volviendo al tema del post... No compares Warframe que es un MMO con sistema de crafting, a un juego de carreras o disparos.

Unos son ladrones y otros no. ;)

Pd: Sorry, but my native language no is english. 

This is not the only Next Gen title to have forms of grinding.

The game is F2P, doesn't matter if its a AAA title or a PS4 Launch title. F2P games all include grinding because a prime way of getting people to part with some money is to offer ways of shortening the grind.

In comparison to other games the grind in Warframe is not that big.