Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why The Penta Is Not Op

Pendragon1951

I've already seen a couple of posts about the Penta being OP and I believe they are unfounded for a few reasons. The first is the mechanic behind firing the Penta, you have to remember that the grenade only goes off if you trigger it with the right mouse button so a little something extra to remember in the heat of battle. Second is the range, it's not bad but it isn't amazing, though with a bit of English you can get it a bit further and Third speaking of English, it helps if you have played pool, because that's what it is like when your firing it, takes a bit of thought and looking at angles. Although I have to admit it is a lot more fun than I thought it would be to use. So to those who say the Penta is OP, go find another weapon to cry about because this is not it.

I leveled my Penta to 30 last night, most of that in 2 x 30 minute survivals (one Mars, one Venus)  The rest were done owning Phorrid.

My Observations so far: 

I Ran it on my Rhino w/ 1200 shields, and Iron Skin always active (With Focus and Blind Rage on) - so that skin is pretty tough.

I Ran the Penta with an almost maxed serration (120%), Maxed Storm Bringer, Maxed Cryo Rounds, Maxed Split Chamber (last added), Magazine Warp (6 rounds)

1) Twice I took myself out firing multiple grenades at point blank enemies.  Further testing showed that 1 close detonation was enough to pop Iron Skin, 2 more detonations was enough to take my rhino down.  (I'm at work so can't check, but I think I am running light on vitality but have about half my steel fiber on.

2) I'm not sure if it was already nerfed or if this was a bug - but the first run after the hotfix and w/ split chamber and magazine warp on - I could only launch 3 grenades (previously 5) before detonating. 

My suspicion is that there is a bug related to Split Chamber and that two of my shots succeeded in having a 2nd shot go out, 1 did not (so I really did have 5 'nades - just could not see them?)

3) There is only impact damage, just like trying to add puncture or slash to an ignis - adding them via mods to this thing does jack. 

4) It is REALLY hard to use it as say, a mine layer - on an infested mobile defense version of Invasion I tried laying 5 mines out infront of a single door - I did not succeed and I tried a lot.  Further away - not as hard.  Those things got some bounce!

5) if you can lob a nade directly onto an enemy it seems to do some fairly heavy damage (I killed some heavies this way early on in appolodorus for around 1200 damage - then I detonated the nade and killed the mob around it. 

6) It is really easy to not hit what you wanted (and hit yourself)  My run on Venus multiple times had the nade bouncing off a body and off into a worthless trajectory or worse - right back at me.

Considering you can kill yourself - and you don't really have the option of firing from the hip w/ it for close encounters (having to go to your secondary or melee) I don't think it's OP.  I question why it has an ammo count of 540 - I don't think I ever got it below 515 or so firing as fast as I could (remember - you have to wait for flight time to detonate - immediate detonation = dead you.) 

Not sure split chamber works on it.  Wondering if Fire Storm will increase it's blast radius... and thinking that (going to try tonight if I can stomach playing the new Damage 1.5 crap) Heavy Caliber probably won't have much of an effect on it - (but mine is not heavily levelled yet either - so who knows.)

I leveled my Penta to 30 last night, most of that in 2 x 30 minute survivals (one Mars, one Venus)  The rest were done owning Phorrid.

My Observations so far: 

I Ran it on my Rhino w/ 1200 shields, and Iron Skin always active (With Focus and Blind Rage on) - so that skin is pretty tough.

I Ran the Penta with an almost maxed serration (120%), Maxed Storm Bringer, Maxed Cryo Rounds, Maxed Split Chamber (last added), Magazine Warp (6 rounds)

1) Twice I took myself out firing multiple grenades at point blank enemies.  Further testing showed that 1 close detonation was enough to pop Iron Skin, 2 more detonations was enough to take my rhino down.  (I'm at work so can't check, but I think I am running light on vitality but have about half my steel fiber on.

2) I'm not sure if it was already nerfed or if this was a bug - but the first run after the hotfix and w/ split chamber and magazine warp on - I could only launch 3 grenades (previously 5) before detonating. 

My suspicion is that there is a bug related to Split Chamber and that two of my shots succeeded in having a 2nd shot go out, 1 did not (so I really did have 5 'nades - just could not see them?)

3) There is only impact damage, just like trying to add puncture or slash to an ignis - adding them via mods to this thing does jack. 

4) It is REALLY hard to use it as say, a mine layer - on an infested mobile defense version of Invasion I tried laying 5 mines out infront of a single door - I did not succeed and I tried a lot.  Further away - not as hard.  Those things got some bounce!

5) if you can lob a nade directly onto an enemy it seems to do some fairly heavy damage (I killed some heavies this way early on in appolodorus for around 1200 damage - then I detonated the nade and killed the mob around it. 

6) It is really easy to not hit what you wanted (and hit yourself)  My run on Venus multiple times had the nade bouncing off a body and off into a worthless trajectory or worse - right back at me.

Considering you can kill yourself - and you don't really have the option of firing from the hip w/ it for close encounters (having to go to your secondary or melee) I don't think it's OP.  I question why it has an ammo count of 540 - I don't think I ever got it below 515 or so firing as fast as I could (remember - you have to wait for flight time to detonate - immediate detonation = dead you.) 

Not sure split chamber works on it.  Wondering if Fire Storm will increase it's blast radius... and thinking that (going to try tonight if I can stomach playing the new Damage 1.5 crap) Heavy Caliber probably won't have much of an effect on it - (but mine is not heavily levelled yet either - so who knows.)

Its a visual bug.  At east 5 grenades are out if you can't shoot it.

I used to play torid a lot and I love the arc of the penta.  I don't mind doing high angle shots and love being able to bounce and do trick shots.

Edited by Rankless

I'm not sure it's a visual bug - the first time I noticed it I detonated - tried firing 3 more times - three distinct trigger pulls - then nothing.  Right click - three detonations.

I too like the arc and loft.  The whole purpose of a grenade launcher in a game like this is to give you a dissimilar mechanic to learn/work - i.e. learning to use it is fun.

I realize Phorrid was puny weak last night - but Even doing Impact/Magnetic/Heat I think I was taking him out in about 5 shots.

I would really like to find out if Firestorm buffs blast radius on it - seems like it should.

It has its battle niche, it has its weaknesses, and it has its drawbacks. It's not OP - and anyone who says it is is simply wrong and/or hasn't even picked it up. This isn't a matter of opinion, it's a matter of stats and mechanics. 

Edited by DJ_Redwire

Drawbacks are easy to list off, it is a good weapon and I love it to death already.

-Cannot be used effectively in close range

-Possibility of dealing heavy damage (including proc chance) to the user in close range (especially with magnetic damage)

-Not as easy to use as the Ogris

-At higher levels, mobs are harder to deal with if you don't detonate on them perfectly

Those are the trade-offs for heavy AoE damage and innate blast damage assuming you lob your grenades in the right spot., and I think it is enough.

Penta is OP and requires falloff damage to balance

If you're going to butt hurt at least butt hurt right.

The Penta needs a reverse falloff. Most damage at the longest range but almost nothing up close :P

That's how you Nerf troll right.

Edited by Brasten

I've already seen a couple of posts about the Penta being OP and I believe they are unfounded for a few reasons. The first is the mechanic behind firing the Penta, you have to remember that the grenade only goes off if you trigger it with the right mouse button so a little something extra to remember in the heat of battle. Second is the range, it's not bad but it isn't amazing, though with a bit of English you can get it a bit further and Third speaking of English, it helps if you have played pool, because that's what it is like when your firing it, takes a bit of thought and looking at angles. Although I have to admit it is a lot more fun than I thought it would be to use. So to those who say the Penta is OP, go find another weapon to cry about because this is not it.

Even with a nearly maxed serration(one point away), and a level 3 Rupture on it which is what I have it modded to so far. I haven't maxed it yet. It still only does 88 damage to corpus when a status proc doesn't fire off. I sometimes end up lobbing at least 3-4 grenades at Corpus at Venera on Venus after wave 1. It isn't that strong at all.