Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Upcoming Ember Changes

[DE]Megan

DE made that? Really? I mean... Come on, DE are awesome people save for Scott in edge cases, really? Dear god.

Also, ME3 was a very fun game from gameplay standpoint (and I spent a lot of time in multiplayer. Well, before they started "balancing"), I wouldn't just throw that out.

And, well, I don't say "Nerf it to the ground", I just don't think that allowing for personal protection with no limits would be kind of OP, and it was pretty good at 91%. There should be limiting factors to survival abilities, like the damage limit on IS, need to hug enemies with old Link (which could be increaced overall), time limit on invisibility and former limit on damage reduction of Overheat.

And, about Overheats' DR - if Ember can somehow protect herself from such high temperatures, perhaps it worked by overheating the incoming projectiles to the point of explosive evaporation, with the layer of whatever she has on her reacting like active armour against anything that enters the field of ninja magic holding it on her?

And, I did suggest turning Fireblast into a defencive ability. Those huge fires look like they would be difficult to shoot through, or at least see through.

I played plenty of ME3 and I grew to hate it.  The sound and visuals were great.  But, I got tired of the troll game mechanics fighting my every step: the slow clunky movement, the venus fly trap cover, the nerfed and pre nerfed content, the cheating AI, the aggro dumping invisibility and just the general boring attitude from EAware.  Kishok, Graal, and Batarian Sentinel/Soldier will always be awesome but I can't play a game that gets in my way with crap mechanics.  It destorys whatever is good about a game.  If great ideas can't be great becuase lame ideas come first then, I can't have fun. with that game.  Been there.  Done that.  Moving on.  I hope Warframe reverses course and heads towards awesome because I'm done with lame crap like ME3,  I can see throught the disguise.  Which is why I didn't buy DE's Startrek game.

I have no problem with Blessing.  I wish DE had left Rhino Skin alone.  I'm not thoroughly anti-Overheat.  I'm just indifferent to it.  Overheat alone would not be enough to interest me in Ember.  She needs firepower and speed to interest me.

It would be awesome if abilities could coop, considering that this is theoretically a coop game.  It would be great fun if fire abilities combines with cold would produce blast, combined with electric would produce radiation, combined with toxin would produce gas, etc. and so forth, just like weapon mods do.

Yesterday I went  a playing mission's with Ember aganst infected . She does not have any bonuses in comparison with other classes , even against those infected. Its current level - complete worthlessness . At level 15 mobs I killed me three times in a game where the other characters are played quietly .
With the introduction of " accelerator " there was only one option - spam WOF! Which means that the selection mechanics skills bl absolutely incorrect . I can hold out for 25 minutes in survival ... But it requires a lot of efforts ( it's bad for the hands ) . And, accordingly, the game loses all her pleasure. Again, De could leave her mechanics and animation work as the previous skill (aura 12 sekond without damage absorption and with the addition of speed). But they had just killed one of the popular classes in the game . They have achieved . Ember now seeing many people simply overlook . I look at her playing with irony . And sorry about 4 forms spent in the shuffle.
Not it be easier to just remove the chicken from the game ?

I don't mean to insult, but all I read in this post is that you're not very good at this game. Either that, or your Ember is low level and thus not well modded.

DE made that? Really? I mean... Come on, DE are awesome people save for Scott in edge cases, really? Dear god.

Also, ME3 was a very fun game from gameplay standpoint (and I spent a lot of time in multiplayer. Well, before they started "balancing"), I wouldn't just throw that out.

And, well, I don't say "Nerf it to the ground", I just don't think that allowing for personal protection with no limits would be kind of OP, and it was pretty good at 91%. There should be limiting factors to survival abilities, like the damage limit on IS, need to hug enemies with old Link (which could be increaced overall), time limit on invisibility and former limit on damage reduction of Overheat.

And, about Overheats' DR - if Ember can somehow protect herself from such high temperatures, perhaps it worked by overheating the incoming projectiles to the point of explosive evaporation, with the layer of whatever she has on her reacting like active armour against anything that enters the field of ninja magic holding it on her?

And, I did suggest turning Fireblast into a defencive ability. Those huge fires look like they would be difficult to shoot through, or at least see through.

The only similarity I see between ME3 and Warframe is that they're set in space. The 3rd person shooter style of them are -totally- different. It's like comparing Gunz: The Duel to ME3 because they're both 3rd person games (Infact, Gunz and Warframe have a closer comparison gameplay-wise).

And once again - Overheat made her into a flaming Rhino. Scott specifically stated that's not what he wanted her to be. It was both overpowered and didn't fit the "magic caster" role he was going for. Mitigating damage isn't supposed to be the one thing every single warframe can do. I think it's this Rhino mentality everyone seems to have nowadays: Rush in and kill everything without worrying at all about your hp/shields because Rhino. That's not how every other warframe, especially magic casters, work.

As for Fireblast, that'll just make that ability into a clone of Frost's snowglobe. Even more people will rage.

Edited by SoulEchelon

I don't mean to insult, but all I read in this post is that you're not very good at this game. Either that, or your Ember is low level and thus not well modded.

The only similarity I see between ME3 and Warframe is that they're set in space. The 3rd person shooter style of them are -totally- different. It's like comparing Gunz: The Duel to ME3 because they're both 3rd person games (Infact, Gunz and Warframe have a closer comparison gameplay-wise).

And once again - Overheat made her into a flaming Rhino. Scott specifically stated that's not what she wanted to be. It was both overpowered and didn't fit the "magic caster" role he was going for. Mitigating damage isn't supposed to be the one thing every single warframe can do. I think it's this Rhino mentality everyone seems to have nowadays: Rush in and kill everything without worrying at all about your hp/shields because Rhino. That's not how every other warframe, especially magic casters, work.

As for Fireblast, that'll just make that ability into a clone of Frost's snowglobe. Even more people will rage.

I'm not saying that Warframe is or is not like ME3.  I'm attempting to caution against warframe becoming like ME3.  DE tried it with Startrek and it FAILED.

If Overheat made Ember into a flaming Rhino it's because of the implementation.  DE should have tried something more creative.  Maybe they should have patterned it on how fire actually behaves.  Perhaps given it a violent updraft like a real wild fire.  Maybe they should have done a damage vs. radius trade off.  It could have melted bullets but not lasers, etc.  Instead, DE gave ember 3 subpar fire damage abilities and a subpar buff/debuff.

I'm not saying that Warframe is or is not like ME3.  I'm attempting to caution against warframe becoming like ME3.  DE tried it with Startrek and it FAILED.

If Overheat made Ember into a flaming Rhino it's because of the implementation.  DE should have tried something more creative.  Maybe they should have patterned it on how fire actually behaves.  Perhaps given it a violent updraft like a real wild fire.  Maybe they should have done a damage vs. radius trade off.  It could have melted bullets but not lasers, etc.  Instead, DE gave ember 3 subpar fire damage abilities and a subpar buff/debuff.

I disagree. Fireball is a pretty typical first ability that does moderate damage with a notable tinge towards her latent abilities - just like every other first ability. It's also an AOE at its highest rank and has 100% "On Fire" elemental proc chance. Instant stuns are a good thing.

Accelerant is far more than "subpar" imo, and synergizes perfectly with her other abilities. The stun lasts long enough to either retreat, use Fire Blast, or use WoF. The 2x damage it gives for fire based attacks is a real killer, and promotes using your brain.

Fire Blast not only does a damn good amount of damage initially and over time, but it's persistent. I've noticed the AI absolutely hates this ability, because they either rush in and get lit on fire (100% proc chance again) or they freeze right in front of it and are sitting ducks to whoever's inside it. This ability is a godsend in Defense, or when reviving others.

WoF is just plain awesome to watch.It's one of the most heavily damaging fourth abilities in the game - people just downplay it because of its limited number of enemies. The strength of WoF is its mobility as well as its sustained nature, and unless you're fighting extremely overleveled enemy Heavies, the limited number of enemies isn't a problem, because most die within one blast. This means another enemy will get targeted.

I disagree. Fireball is a pretty typical first ability that does moderate damage with a notable tinge towards her latent abilities - just like every other first ability. It's also an AOE at its highest rank and has 100% "On Fire" elemental proc chance. Instant stuns are a good thing.

Accelerant is far more than "subpar" imo, and synergizes perfectly with her other abilities. The stun lasts long enough to either retreat, use Fire Blast, or use WoF. The 2x damage it gives for fire based attacks is a real killer, and promotes using your brain.

Fire Blast not only does a damn good amount of damage initially and over time, but it's persistent. I've noticed the AI absolutely hates this ability, because they either rush in and get lit on fire (100% proc chance again) or they freeze right in front of it and are sitting ducks to whoever's inside it. This ability is a godsend in Defense, or when reviving others.

WoF is just plain awesome to watch.It's one of the most heavily damaging fourth abilities in the game - people just downplay it because of its limited number of enemies. The strength of WoF is its mobility as well as its sustained nature, and unless you're fighting extremely overleveled enemy Heavies, the limited number of enemies isn't a problem, because most die within one blast. This means another enemy will get targeted.

Fireball is just a skill that does less damage than the other 3, meaning wasted energy. It doesn't add anything, no area denial, hits 1-3 enemies tops, deals a little damage.

Accelerant does not synergize with the other abilities. Yeah sure it adds damage to maybe 5-10 enemies which World on Fire and these things called weapons which you carry around are going to kill anyways. This skill needs to be continuous to synergize with the other skills.

Fire Blast is just plain useless, World on Fire is better in each and every situation, you can just forma the slot away and add better mods. Don't even start with the area denial, World on Fire hits enemies before they even reach the range of Fire Blast.

World on Fire, the only worthwile skill to be used.

I present you the revamped, balanced and buffed Ember.

Ember%20build.jpg

What CeePee said.  You make this stuff sound good, on paper.  But, off paper, it's a different matter.

I was calculating the DPS for various ults the other day.  I didn't hold onto it.  But, I remember WoF being low DPS, possibly the lowest.

The 25/50/75/100 energy scheme has been a failure since the begining.  People pay as much attention to it as they do the whole space ninja thing.  People use the most functional abilities and their guns.  They don't waste energy with stuff like shuriken and fire blast. 

Fireball is just a skill that does less damage than the other 3, meaning wasted energy. It doesn't add anything, no area denial, hits 1-3 enemies tops, deals a little damage.

Accelerant does not synergize with the other abilities. Yeah sure it adds damage to maybe 5-10 enemies which World on Fire and these things called weapons which you carry around are going to kill anyways. This skill needs to be continuous to synergize with the other skills.

Fire Blast is just plain useless, World on Fire is better in each and every situation, you can just forma the slot away and add better mods. Don't even start with the area denial, World on Fire hits enemies before they even reach the range of Fire Blast.

I present you the revamped, balanced and buffed Ember.

Ember%20build.jpg

You play your Ember your way, and I play mine my way. I haven't forma'd her once, yet I can both survive and do heavy damage against endgame enemies. Instead of spamming WoF every time I have enough energy, I use every ability at my disposal. I guess that's why I know how strong said abilities can be.

All your forma'ing did was unbalance your Ember, and made her into what I call "Defaulted". There's nothing special about your Ember. You can put almost the exact same mods on another frame, and they'll play exactly the same, only slightly different 4th ability. DE isn't the one making Ember or the other frames not special. It's this extreme imbalancing act that forma'ing stuff does. But that's just my opinion.

Fireball is just a skill that does less damage than the other 3, meaning wasted energy.

Well, this explains a lot.

It doesn't add anything, no area denial, hits 1-3 enemies tops, deals a little damage.

It's a long range ability that CCs the unit hit and has a 50% chance of CC other within range.

So when there's a Napalm or a Bombard spamming rockets you can stop him, when there's an Ancient Toxic charging you can stop him, when there's a Tech unloading you can stop him.

I dont know how her only long range ability that guarantees a CC doesnt add anything.

It stuns enemies around which you can continue to stun with FB, or cast WoF in safety.

The range is 20 meters max standard, there are only 4 abilities in the game that have a longer range.

Fireblast stuns and damages any number of enemies caught within the effect while WoF hits a limited number of people while active. I dont know what area denial means to you but Fireblast is THE ability for area of denial.

Sorry, man, but your post clearly shows that you are looking a things in a strange way.

It's a long range ability that CCs the unit hit and has a 50% chance of CC other within range.

So when there's a Napalm or a Bombard spamming rockets you can stop him, when there's an Ancient Toxic charging you can stop him, when there's a Tech unloading you can stop him.

I dont know how her only long range ability that guarantees a CC doesnt add anything.

It stuns enemies around which you can continue to stun with FB, or cast WoF in safety.

The range is 20 meters max standard, there are only 4 abilities in the game that have a longer range.

Fireblast stuns and damages any number of enemies caught within the effect while WoF hits a limited number of people while active. I dont know what area denial means to you but Fireblast is THE ability for area of denial.

Sorry, man, but your post clearly shows that you are looking a things in a strange way.

Totally agree with this. I pretty much stated the same thing in the post CeePee quoted, but you explained it a bit more.

Rhino/Frost are Speed 0.9, not 1.0.

Speed 1.0 Frames: Excal, Mag, Oberon, Trinity, Vauban, Volt

My advice to you. map the actual speed of the game. Even better match putting her keys lame dragon. Then please repeat what you say. Read I myself can not. But I understand that there is complete nonsense written freely. Just as you say you are. All frames with 15 armor speed should be in the range of 1.3-1.8. And damage at least 2 times more than those that now have 190 armor (the difference in protection is 10-15 times).

PS. Supplemented. From this list, all but the Trinity and Ember have 50-65 armor.

Edited by hallfrom

Suddenly enter into menie offensive than swearing .
I have 16 extra energy ... for almost all modules maximum level. I have only broken mods. But to level 30 they are generally unnecessary.
I can safely assert that the chicken is not enough as I see relations damage , pay attention to the effect of time and skills.
I suppose you have not seen what it was in the days of 6-7 patches ? They introduced too many changes without thinking about the consequences. They removed all the protection and deprived her of all damage. This could have been avoided . And they are aware of their oversight . But never recognize.
Highly specialized character? What ? In the methods of death? If yes then I probably agree . Or do you think its normal death while playing
Since all of its changes should fully process it skill.

My advice to you. map the actual speed of the game. Even better match putting her keys lame dragon. Then please repeat what you say. Read I myself can not. But I understand that there is complete nonsense written freely. Just as you say you are. All frames with 15 armor speed should be in the range of 1.3-1.8. And damage at least 2 times more than those that now have 190 armor (the difference in protection is 10-15 times).

..Noone has 1.3 speed... what are you talking about.  What do dragons keys have to do with anything? As for damage, her abilities out damages Rhino or Frost. As for Armor.. Also, damage mitigation is not 10 to 15 times worse than 190, it is 5% vs 61%, It is roughly only twice the damage taken, not 10-15 times the damage taken. If my numbers are wrong, please show me your's.

PS. Supplemented. From this list, all but the Trinity and Ember have 50-65 armor.

Volt is also 1.0 speed with 15 Armor. Meaning all frames with 15 armor are Speed 1.0, unless you know of one I over looked.

Yeah, we can look that up in the wiki.  That's not how things turn out.  It costs energy to use these abilities.  If you waste them on fireball, you don't have it for WoF, etc.

DE decided that each Warframe would get 4 abilities and they would, for most Warframes, be structured on a 25/50/75/100 energy scheme, and each Warframe would have 100 or 150 max energy.  But, that is an arbitrary decision that does not take much into consideration and the game is being forced to conform to this meaningless decision.

It would help the discussion to calculate the damage of these abilities and compare them.  I tried but the wiki doesn't seem to have all the information for all the abilities so it's difficult to make some comparisions.  WoF, Soundquake, Miasma, and Overload function in a similar manner.  They are all DoT ults.  So it should be possible to compare them, if we have all the information.

Edited by ThePresident777

You play your Ember your way, and I play mine my way. I haven't forma'd her once, yet I can both survive and do heavy damage against endgame enemies. Instead of spamming WoF every time I have enough energy, I use every ability at my disposal. I guess that's why I know how strong said abilities can be.

All your forma'ing did was unbalance your Ember, and made her into what I call "Defaulted". There's nothing special about your Ember. You can put almost the exact same mods on another frame, and they'll play exactly the same, only slightly different 4th ability. DE isn't the one making Ember or the other frames not special. It's this extreme imbalancing act that forma'ing stuff does. But that's just my opinion.

Warframe as a game is way too easy for you claim that Ember is fine just because you can survive with subpar skill and mod setups. I've modded mine to deal the most damage while having the highest survivability.

You're wasting energy using Fire ball or Fire blast, World on Fire simply deals more damage to more enemies. Accelerant doesn't keep up with World on Fire, enemies simply die to guns and World on Fire around you.

I didn't unbalance my Ember. I made her the optimal killing machine. Death is the best form of CC.

There's simply no room for the other useless abilities.

Read above, Death is the best form of CC. I don't even need to argue about this.

If I see a heavy grineer, I kill it. Grineer are ridiculously easy to get headshots on.

Toxic ancients do melee attacks, you can just dodge those.

Corpus Techs have projectile weapons, just strafe and shoot.

You can have your opinion about Ember any way you want. This game is about killing stuff and I mod my Ember to kill stuff the fastest.

I'll repeat how you can make Ember working again, making the players happy:

1) Fireball 25 energy

- Adds a ground dot aoe, similiar to napalm, sticks to enemies and allies. This is your area of denial attack, because Fire Blast gets removed. The dot has a 50% chance of fire proc, making this skill very, very useful.

2) Overheat 50 energy

- Fire aoe around melee range like it used to be, 40% damage reduction that only affects health. Scales up to 91% with maxed out Power strength mods. This skill complements the reckless playstyle you want Ember to have.

3) Accelerant 75 energy

- Stuns enemies when cast, continues as an aura that adds fire damage done to affected enemies around Ember. This change for Accelerant is needed to make Ember a moving damage dealer like she's meant.

4) World on Fire 100 energy

- Stays as awesome as ever, just like it's now.

Yeah, we can look that up in the wiki.  That's not how things turn out.  It costs energy to use these abilities.  If you waste them on fireball, you don't have it for WoF, etc.

If your playstyle consists of only casting WoF that doesnt mean that the things the other powers do cease to exists.

DE decided that each Warframe would get 4 abilities and they would, for most Warframes, be structured on a 25/50/75/100 energy scheme, and each Warframe would have 100 or 150 max energy.  But, that is an arbitrary decision that does not take much into consideration and the game is being forced to conform to this meaningless decision.

What does this have to do with Ember who has 225 max without and add-ons and with you can almost double that?

It would help the discussion to calculate the damage of these abilities and compare them.  I tried but the wiki doesn't seem to have all the information for all the abilities so it's difficult to make some comparisions.  WoF, Soundquake, Miasma, and Overload function in a similar manner.  They are all DoT ults.  So it should be possible to compare them, if we have all the information.

When you talk about area denial damage is not the only thing to compare this abilities with.

Read above, Death is the best form of CC. I don't even need to argue about this.

If you cant one-shot an enemy CC is the best form of CC.

If I see a heavy grineer, I kill it. Grineer are ridiculously easy to get headshots on.

So basically in your world stuff always happen the same exact way and there is no variation.

Are you living in the Matrix or something?

You can have your opinion about Ember any way you want. This game is about killing stuff and I mod my Ember to kill stuff the fastest.

To YOU the game is about killing stuff. To YOU. How do you folks not understand that your own method is not the method that everyone needs to play?

I dont play to kill things i play to not get kill. Which is probably the reason i never had problem with Ember, once i learn she can die fast i adjusted and have been doing fine since then. This also explains why people were confused with Rhino when they took away old Iron Skin... "What is ...cee cee?"

How often is something removed from the game and added back later because a section of players complained?

Never quite back as they should be. Although the Iron Skin fracas would be the best example of DE finally listening to community feedback and reaching a working compromise. Which is NOT what we are seeing with Ember and Overheat at all.

I put that down to how few people play Ember, because she has a reputation of being at best 1 or 2 skill wonder and sucking hard.

I'll repeat how you can make Ember working again, making the players happy:

1) Fireball 25 energy

- Adds a ground dot aoe, similiar to napalm, sticks to enemies and allies. This is your area of denial attack, because Fire Blast gets removed. The dot has a 50% chance of fire proc, making this skill very, very useful.

2) Overheat 50 energy

- Fire aoe around melee range like it used to be, 40% damage reduction that only affects health. Scales up to 91% with maxed out Power strength mods. This skill complements the reckless playstyle you want Ember to have.

3) Accelerant 75 energy

- Stuns enemies when cast, continues as an aura that adds fire damage done to affected enemies around Ember. This change for Accelerant is needed to make Ember a moving damage dealer like she's meant.

4) World on Fire 100 energy

- Stays as awesome as ever, just like it's now.

I still contend that Health DR alone is pointless (see Valkyr) because health tanking is non-viable, and that any DR Overheat gives needs to go to shields. Seriously, this exact point is the feedback in the Valkyr thread. Health/Armor Tanking doesn't work. Not without a Regen of some kind.

Swap the Energy costs, keep Accelerant at 50 and move Overheat to 75. Overheat is Snow Globe and Chaos level worthy. 75 Energy is a good cost balance. It also keeps Accelerant at a reasonable cost for a stun and area damage buff.

Edited by Brasten

-snip-

Sorry but I'm not going to waste my time explaining how the game works to you.

Never quite back as they should be. Although the Iron Skin fracas would be the best example of DE finally listening to community feedback and reaching a working compromise. Which is NOT what we are seeing with Ember and Overheat at all.

I put that down to how few people play Ember, because she has a reputation of being at best 1 or 2 skill wonder and sucking hard.

I still contend that Health DR alone is pointless (see Valkyr) because health tanking is non-viable, and that any DR Overheat gives needs to go to shields. Seriously, this exact point is the feedback in the Valkyr thread. Health/Armor Tanking doesn't work. Not without a Regen of some kind.

Swap the Energy costs, keep Accelerant at 50 and move Overheat to 75. Overheat is Snow Globe and Chaos level worthy. 75 Energy is a good cost balance. It also keeps Accelerant at a reasonable cost for a stun and area damage buff.

I'm not going to ask Scott to bring back Overheat they way it used to be. Overheat is there to keep you alive if something decides to take a shot at you or reaches melee range. Overheat has fire aoe around melee aoe which has a high proc chance, maybe 25% to keep it somewhat balanced.

I'm fine with Ember not being a tank, but I'm not fine with Ember having 3 useless skills out of the 4 available.

Health only DR means bleeds and poisons aren't going to instagib Ember, but won't make her a tank either. Fits the reckless playstyle they're advertising.

Sorry but I'm not going to waste my time explaining how the game works to you.

You already wasted time explaining how the games works to you.

That is an actual wasting of time because you are not all of us.

And this is something really strange for some one to actually have to put down since i think most humans should know that not everyone thinks exactly the same as they do.

You ignore the fact that Ember can CC good? Cool, but that doesnt mean she cant CC.

I mean...

Overheat is there to keep you alive if something decides to take a shot at you or reaches melee range.

You have a 20 m stun in accelerant without the bonuses, nothing should be touching new Ember with all her CCs.

Warframe as a game is way too easy for you claim that Ember is fine just because you can survive with subpar skill and mod setups. I've modded mine to deal the most damage while having the highest survivability.

You're wasting energy using Fire ball or Fire blast, World on Fire simply deals more damage to more enemies. Accelerant doesn't keep up with World on Fire, enemies simply die to guns and World on Fire around you.

I didn't unbalance my Ember. I made her the optimal killing machine. Death is the best form of CC.

There's simply no room for the other useless abilities.

THIS!

I just did a 30 min survival on Cressida.  The enemy level reached 38.  I had maxed fireball, accelerant, fire blast, WoF, flow, streamline, focus, rush, quick rest, and marathon.  I don't have dual stats mods and I don't really care.  I have to move fast, or faster so I had to take movement mods over defense mods, because I must!

But, fireball just didn't cut it.  It was kinda nice at first.  But, it's just a fire cracker.  Play with it if you want.  There are better ways to deal with problems.  The stun isn't as valuable as people expect it to be because the targets you would prioritize it on, Napalms and Bombards for instance, are surrounded by Mooks.  The combination of Heavys and Mooks gives you a one two punch that is dangerous.  But, if you wipe out the mooks with an AoE, then you focus fire on the heavy and the problem is solved.  If you focus fire on the Heavy, with fireball or weapon, then the mooks take you down.  So, fireball and all single target or small AoE abilities are a fail unless the DPS to energy ratio is much higher so you can rapid fire a mob, quickly cutting them down.

There was no location to defend per say.  It was a running battle.  So Fire Blast was useless.  It would have needed a much larger radius to be useful in such a fluid situation.

Accelerant was useful when WoF started losing effectiveness.

Edited by ThePresident777

What was the Iron Skin 'compromise'? I have heard nothing of them removing Iron Skin from Rhino, only making it significantly weaker than it once was.