Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Melee 2.0 Anticipation Megathread

gaurdianaq

Since the charge stat is going away I suppose it will be replaced by the channel one which could still be high. And the Galatine actually has a decent swing speed so the combos might still be very powerful if you time your channels properly.

I'm speculating of course but that's the only way I can see heavy weapons still remaining viable in general.

Since the charge stat is going away I suppose it will be replaced by the channel one which could still be high. And the Galatine actually has a decent swing speed so the combos might still be very powerful if you time your channels properly.

I'm speculating of course but that's the only way I can see heavy weapons still remaining viable in general.

Hmm channels? Sorry can't really watch devstreams, they take a long time to load on my internet

The charge stat on all melee weapons should be replaced by the channel stat. Which basically should multiply the effect of whatever channel mod you have equipped. So if you have a channel stat of 400 or whatever then using channeling will boost your raw atk dmg by 4.0 if you have the attack boost channel mod equipped. If you have a life steal mod equipped it boosts the amount of lifesteal X4 instead. That is how I would like to see it work as it would open up more options for creative mod builds and your galatine could be built either for crazy damage or massive life steal. 

Obviously have to wait till it comes out but as someone who loved the charge attacks on my dual heat swords I really hope that those mods are still useful or provide an equal damage boost as they do now. 

Hmm channels? Sorry can't really watch devstreams, they take a long time to load on my internet

The youtube version is out.

Basically Channeling is putting Energy into the melee and it doing either: Stun chance, Damage, Swing speed, Life steal, Status chance, or crit chance. 

There are mods that do that, right now the Mod that makes the Energy you use add damage to Melee in one swing will be the new mod that makes Channeling do more damage for Melee. :)

Edited by Feallike

The youtube version is out.

Basically Channeling is putting Energy into the melee and it doing either: Stun chance, Damage, Swing speed, Life steal, Status chance, or crit chance. 

There are mods that do that, right now the Mod that makes the Energy you use add damage to Melee in one swing will be the new mod that makes Channeling do more damage for Melee. :)

Hmm sounds cool, but I'd love to see energy steal. Life wasn't really something I cared about with any frame I used actually, Loki, Nyx etc rtc

Since the combos will function differently from weapon to weapon and seeing as we already have weapons that are better for certain situations (AoE and single target weapons) wouldn't it make sense for someone who wants to make their frame more melee oriented to equip themselves for different situations? Have a sword as your primary then be able to swap for another weapon to deal with groups. Or maybe have the glaive for some range options? I think you get the idea. 

Something I've noticed from watching the stream, which was what I wanted to verify at the very beginning.

Around 52:22, Scott tries to close in distance with a Heavy Gunner while parrying. However, even though he seems to be holding the block button, he still gets radial blasted by the Heavy.

So what's the point of trying to melee a Heavy if they can still knock you down easily like this? I, personally, am able to avoid most of the radial blast by luring them to use it and dodge away. Even so, I think that blocking should at least resist the knockdown like you would do with the mods (the Tenno raises their melee weapon and blocks the hit, making them slide backward but still strong on their feet). This also happens against grenades and general explosives with Blast proc it seems (like rockets).

Additionally, Heavy units would be the ones you'd target first to get your melee counter on, since they can take the most hits. I think it would be fair to reduce this CC aspect from them so that one can still approach heavy Grineer units with melee, while having to be careful to a certain point.

Rebecca asked the question a bit later but I'm not sure what the answer was exactly. Can someone clarify what Scott and Steve said about the Reflex Guard mod and such? I wouldn't like it if they made these mods feel like bandaids for that.

I hope this is done for next week.

They said that if your Warframe has the correct mod (I do think it was Reflex Guard), blocking radial blasts will cause KD, but also knock the heavy Grineer down.

And don't forget that there are -several- mods in the game to mitigate knockdown.

I was thinking somthing along these lines too, only problem i see is when weapons share a holstering position (which im sure could be fixed somehow haha)

Just imagine having the nikana at your side, a heat dagger on your lower back and an orthos on your back tho, would be so much fun =D.

And don't forget that there are -several- mods in the game to mitigate knockdown.

That's the problem here for me. When using range weapons, such knockdowns are avoided completely and you can just mow down enemies from a far. If you do get knocked down, it's usually because of rockets, and that's fine since it's their counter to you being so far.

If you get too close with your ranged weapon that has lots of power to them by default, they can knock you down with radial blast, which is also fine since it's their counter to the fact that you don't have any ways to defend yourself other than shooting.

However, when you have your melee out, you HAVE to close in distance with the enemy, and so having the radial blast makes it even more annoying that you can't at the very least, use your own reflexes (as opposed to a mod) to block and resist the attack (you will still be pushed back, but you will stay on your feet, like when you use the knockdown resistance mods). Quite a few games do that and it makes it fun, more player-controlled, and strategic, without breaking the flow at all. I'm sure Warframe would benefit from this, especially with how annoying heavy Grineer units are already.

And again, those mods feel like they should be useful only for when you're using ranged attacks, not make it feel like a bandaid to the equipped melee parrying. In fact, they could have made it so you have to TIME your parry (as opposed to holding) so that you can successfully block a Radial Blast or a rocket. That would balance it out better and allow you to continue doing combos.

I'm also still against the Handspring and Constitution mods increasing "getting up" speed because it avoids what could become nice player-controlled mechanics. Again compared to some other action games which Warframe can take notes from, considering that you're a highly mobile, high dexterity space ninja, you should be able to time (with the jump button maybe?) so that you get up quickly with a single back handspring (or sideroll depending on which direction you're holding).

Edited by Casardis