Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are We Ever Going To Get A Gunblade?

Deidaku

Warframe's not an anime, so the answer is "no."

I don't see what that has to do with anything, and its not too ridiculous of an idea to not work (so long as it looks practical.) After all, the Jat Kittag, a giant hammer with jets on it, is in the game.

Not very constructive mate, 

IWarframe has some oriental  japanese influence ,  , you know , ninjas , , DOJO , space katana = skana , Bo staff( even though it's usless ) ,  did I say ninja?

But also a lot of western influence ( Excalibur's name , Vauban ( french scientist apparently) , Loki norse god, vasto the western revolver ,etc)

+ gunblades aren't only in anime.........

Still why the negativity? devellop your arguments if you're against it !

Edited by Deidaku

Huh?

I just linked a GIF animation of a drawn weapon and I referenced the source to be FROM a anime. I think that's better than trying to describe a scythe-sniper or some sort :)

Edited by 1lusion

Well, as the Man At Arms youtube channel is prone to say... since they actually build fantasy weapons suggested by viewers...

The FF8-style gunblade is stupid. You either have a pistol, with an extremely heavy blade attached to it (good luck aiming with it), or you have a sword with the world's worst handle to hold a sword.

Pistol-grips aren't meant for swords. A 8-pound long sword blade is going to turn any one-handed pistol into a 8.5-pound paper weight.

It's stupid. Either get yourself a gun, or a sword, or put a small sword (bayonet) on the end of your gun.

EDIT: And if by some chance you need me to back this statement up, here's a link to Spoony's review of FF8, part 1. Go to about 6:30, where he talks about the redunkulousness of the "Gunblade": http://spoonyexperiment.com/game-reviews/final-fantasy-viii-review-part-1/

I never use guns since I live in europe , + i'm not a soldier never held  a real gun......

BUT 

Are we holding the guns? No our space ninjas are . Why are you people trying to bring logic in a universe where the human race is divided in two factions ( the cabbage cancer  cloned grineer  people and the corporate bastard corpus) , and to fight both of them muthafacking spance ninas who are immunte to gravity , can resist the vaccum of space , and  parkour while holding a rocket launcher in one hand... I think holding a heavier gun is the leas of their problems.

yes I use this argument a lot but it's pretty accurate imo 

Not very constructive mate, 

IWarframe has some oriental  japanese influence ,  , you know , ninjas , , DOJO , space katana = skana , Bo staff( even though it's usless ) ,  did I say ninja?

But also a lot of western influence ( Excalibur's name , Vauban ( french scientist apparently) , Loki norse god, vasto the western revolver ,etc)

+ gunblades aren't only in anime.........

Still why the negativity? devellop your arguments if you're against it !

Ninjas =/= Anime

Just thought I'd point that out.

There are tons of historic examples of gunblades as far as swords/daggers+pistols, axes and muskets.  The Museum of Natural History in NYC has a permanent exhibit showcasing quite a few examples (at least I think its permanent).

Also, I use the mouse to fire kestrel.

That's right! Gunblades are real, son!

Anyway, this isnt Final Fantasy.

But i would sure like a Gunaxe!

e2JELKZ.jpg

Dunno, but it seems to me that one swing of those "gunblades" and you'll just end up with a "blade".

I don't see how the firing mechanism/barrel could actually withstand being used as an axe repeatedly.

EDIT: Also, wouldn't it be more effective to have the blade attached to the butt of the gun? Because that's how you actually melee with a flintlock; use it like a club!

Edited by Brimir

Dunno, but it seems to me that one swing of those "gunblades" and you'll just end up with a "blade".

I don't see how the firing mechanism/barrel could actually withstand being used as an axe repeatedly.

EDIT: Also, wouldn't it be more effective to have the blade attached to the butt of the gun? Because that's how you actually melee with a flintlock; use it like a club!

Attaching a blade to the stock of your rifle sounds like a good way to get cut when you fire the gun. 

Anyway, I'd rather this not happen.  The gunblade concept is pretty ridiculous and impractical.  Combination weapons existed primarily because it took ages to reload a flintlock weapon.  We don't have that problem, and hybrid weapons of this sort typically end up as bad swords attached to bad guns.  Combining your sword and gun into a swordgun, then carrying another sword anyway would put us in the running for most inane warriors ever.

Here's my argument: If you can't understand what's anime about literally wanting a buster sword with a minigun attached to it or a sniper rifle that transforms into a scythe, you are too deep into anime and need to step back from your anime.

Here's my argument: What exactly does anime have to do with this topic? Combination weapons exist in more things than just anime, and while I agree that the concept is a bit silly we do have things in this game that are just as silly.

Personally I think you're just looking for an excuse to argue about anime, and why you believe it to be bad or something.

Here's my argument: If you can't understand what's anime about literally wanting a buster sword with a minigun attached to it or a sniper rifle that transforms into a scythe, you are too deep into anime and need to step back from your anime.

" you are too deep into anime and need to step back from your anime."

What?...

People are suggesting concepts that happen to have a visual available and similar to what they have in mind found in anime. I think you need to "step back" from your "anime bashing excuses".

The derailment...  The thread is about the prospect of a gun blade and I think the anime reference draws attention to the necessity for the weapon to be functional in the current system. Anime can do whatever they want whenever they want. Video games have waaay more restricting factors. If the developers would allow for a weapon(or parts or function of a weapon) to be equipped in two categories i.e Primary (or Secondary) + Melee then yes it would be feasible. I think that would have been a great argument for what prime weapons could have been but that time is passed. In addition the animation team although capable I think simply won't do it. They are either severely understaffed or overwhelmed. DE_ Geoff doesn't instill a sense of confidence in me when I see what we have and i observe him in the live streams. I mean he is a good enough person I am sure but he is not the entire animation staff he is the director. A fair amount of animations still seem choppy to me and although coding and other factors can affect that the frames required to complete some of these animations are not utilized properly in my semi-experienced observations. So to answer you OP as cool as it may be I don't think that the staff will use this idea and even if they did it now that it would not be what you expect. By the way I would LOVE a pair of Gunchucks and I WOULD LOVE TO BE WRONG... Unfortunately I don't think I am.

I was joking about the minigun buster sword.....that's obviously impractical , no need to take that seriously

There's FF Gunblades

And I don't watch anime much(just RWBY), and have want always wanted ridiculous ones like that 

Melee is going to be buffed considerably , i doubt anyone will want to us th quick attack very often, hell people might even forget about it?

Wat? I understand you don't like the idea but ridiculous? really?

We are space ninja/mercenaries/terrorists who can fly , stop time ,teleport.  resist the vaccum of space and immune to gravity , and wield Rocket launchers ,  whose only goal is to balance the cosmos aka kill anyone who doesn't give enough money or ressources..

Our enemies are : Space cancer, Clones with what seems to be space cancer, and Corporate bastards ....I mean the corpus aka the telitubbies. + All these with golden hats 

And gunblades seem ridiculous? please we have a tentacle gun.....

geez so much negativity

Stop time? I don't think there's a time-frame... Yet. 

Gunblades is a far more ridiculous concept than a Space Ninja with powers. Gunblades would be out of place in the middle of Marvel or DC's universe, that's how ridiculous a concept they are. Gunblades to begin with makes absolutely no @(*()$ sense. Adding a gun to a blade doesn't automatically make the blade better, it just makes the blade unwieldy, difficult to use for it's intended purpose. Adding a shortened blade or dagger to a gun works, but that's what we know as a bayonet, something Warframes don't need. 

For the record, a tentacle gun makes perfect sense. If you cut off a crabs claw and poke it's nerves; the claw will respond with a reaction. 

Edited by TwiceDead

Adding a shortened blade or dagger to a gun works, but that's what we know as a bayonet, something Warframes don't need. 

I dunno about that. The Grineer strike me as a kind of people who would put Machetes under the barrels of their Grakatas/Hinds.

Grineer strike me as the kind of people who could simply bash you with their cybernetically enhanced arms or legs and achieve a better result, as the warframes are at the end of the day equipped in armor and not soft cloth, and armor breaks easier to impact than cutting material. Hell if a heavy-gunner can smash the ground and make anything within a 10 meter radius fall to it's feet, I can't imagine the falcon punch they'd be capable of if it was implemented. 

Stop time? I don't think there's a time-frame... Yet. 

Gunblades is a far more ridiculous concept than a Space Ninja with powers. Gunblades would be out of place in the middle of Marvel or DC's universe, that's how ridiculous a concept they are. Gunblades to begin with makes absolutely no @(*()$ sense. Adding a gun to a blade doesn't automatically make the blade better, it just makes the blade unwieldy, difficult to use for it's intended purpose. Adding a shortened blade or dagger to a gun works, but that's what we know as a bayonet, something Warframes don't need. 

For the record, a tentacle gun makes perfect sense. If you cut off a crabs claw and poke it's nerves; the claw will respond with a reaction. 

.......far more ridiculous???

What has marvel got to do with all this...?  

Tentacle gun perfect sense?........no it doesn't! if it was really a tentacle gun ; it would  fire  tentacles! 

Edit : there IS a stop time frame.......rhino

Edited by Deidaku

The average grunt does punch you with the butt of their gun though.

And the higher level they are the more that punch will hurt. Hell at ridiculous levels they can one-shot you. A melee move from an enemy generally does more damage than a bullet does for some reason... 

.......far more ridiculous???

What has marvel got to do with all this...?  

Tentacle gun perfect sense?........no it doesn't! if it was really a tentacle gun ; it would  fire  tentacles! 

Marvel and DC are good comparisons because you said Warframe is absolutely ridiculous, and don't get me wrong it is... But even for how ridiculous they all are; EVEN THEY don't include something as ridiculous as a Gunblade. That's the Japanese and their anime/game culture speaking, and those people thought taking a blade to a gunfight was a good idea, or building inventions designed for a pilot to fly a propelled rocket into a ship was a good idea in order to blow it up. They are known for their exotic interesting designs, not their common sense. 

Tentacle Gun makes perfect sense because it's a living weapon, presumably once upon a time attached to a living creature. I told you earlier that if you chop of the limb of a crab, and then poke the limbs nerves you would get a reaction from the severed limb. I imagine that's how the living weapons work in this game. Just because a gun may look like a tentacle, does mean it is made of tentacles, but that the tentacles are used to hide more intricate functions.

For instance, a Box Jellyfish may seem like it just has a bunch of tentacles attached to it, but each one of those tentacles are capable of shooting poison into your body that can potentially murder you. 

Besides you already see Electric Crawlers in the game, I'll assume those were used in making the Synapse. In comparison a Gunblade is an idiots dream, and I am not saying that because they are loved by anime and JRPG fans, but because they never made any practical sense, never really did combination weapons... With the exception of using a Musket as a club. 

Edited by TwiceDead

And the higher level they are the more that punch will hurt. Hell at ridiculous levels they can one-shot you. A melee move from an enemy generally does more damage than a bullet does for some reason... 

that's how it is in most shooter games , if you manage to get close to the enemy , your are rewarded or punished by high damage melee attacks.