Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can We Bring Skill Back Into This Game?

Jumba255

When I first joined Warframe I thought it was the best game I have ever played, now it is still fun  but updates have just made it irritatingly boring. 

In the beginning I started playing (around update 7) you couldn't just have great mods and win you had to actually use your free running capabilities and you could take down any enemy (even some end game ones) without having great mods like full serration or multishot.

Today if you don't have the right mods or a good team you can't even hope of taking down end game enemies.

I think the game would become so much more enjoyable if they focused more on making this a skill game rather than a grind fest with RNG gods. 

The grind and item acquisition has to be there in a certain way, but yeah, making it more dependant of skill would be nice. It should not purely be about stats, but also about tactic and reflexes, at the moment this games only difference to a party-roleplay-game is that it pretends to be a shooter.

Most skills are radial, aim is almost never required(and abilities taht require aim, like almost all 1st skills are never used), except if youre playing a weapon dependant class. Enemy weapons are near to/completely hitscan, evading is impossible when fighting grineer, cover has almost no use, and yeah, its all about the right mod setup for your weapon, you will never be able to kill a level 100 heavy with a poorly modded braton.

Boss fights have stupid damage-caps to make them artificially longer, and they have a fixed way to fight them (at least the new ones).

When I first joined Warframe I thought it was the best game I have ever played, now it is still fun  but updates have just made it irritatingly boring. 

In the beginning I started playing (around update 7) you couldn't just have great mods and win you had to actually use your free running capabilities and you could take down any enemy (even some end game ones) without having great mods like full serration or multishot.

Today if you don't have the right mods or a good team you can't even hope of taking down end game enemies.

I think the game would become so much more enjoyable if they focused more on making this a skill game rather than a grind fest with RNG gods. 

Well you see... 

No.

RNG is awesome. 

It's like a crazy GF you never know what to expect.

It's like a kid with ADD you never know what'll distract him

It's like a party you're watching from the outside, but you get caught staring through the window.

RNG makes everything better.

PRAISE RNG!!! 

The grind and item acquisition has to be there in a certain way, but yeah, making it more dependant of skill would be nice. It should not purely be about stats, but also about tactic and reflexes, at the moment this games only difference to a party-roleplay-game is that it pretends to be a shooter.

Most skills are radial, aim is almost never required(and abilities taht require aim, like almost all 1st skills are never used), except if youre playing a weapon dependant class. Enemy weapons are near to/completely hitscan, evading is impossible when fighting grineer, cover has almost no use, and yeah, its all about the right mod setup for your weapon, you will never be able to kill a level 100 heavy with a poorly modded braton.

Boss fights have stupid damage-caps to make them artificially longer, and they have a fixed way to fight them (at least the new ones).

The parry system in Melee 2.0 will add some skill to the combat hopefully. Aim wise, i prefer the aimining 1 skills personally cuz i can get headshots for extra dmg, I.E. fireball, freeze, slash dash, and shuriken. As for skill base, we need more than just a nova and rhino running around...

The parry system in Melee 2.0 will add some skill to the combat hopefully. Aim wise, i prefer the aimining 1 skills personally cuz i can get headshots for extra dmg, I.E. fireball, freeze, slash dash, and shuriken. As for skill base, we need more than just a nova and rhino running around...

Only that it takes 1 second to cast the 1st skill, my ignis can deal damage on an unlimited number of enemies in this time, much higher damage.

Also I dont see the point of a new melee system in a game where you press 4 to eradicate all life in an area of 15-50 meters.

Well, they're working on the mythical melee 2.0, which is promised to include a lot of new mods that are designed to be OP when used with skill and style, and worthless otherwise, as well as many new melee techniques. So, that may help.

The keyword here is "mods" so it all boils down to getting lucky enough to even acquire options to be "skillful"

what skill? this is just a grind till you drop! 

there aint be no hardcore stuff until next year

so at the moment grind till you drop! 

you should be playing floppy zephyr, its the endgame content

Edited by Ritchel

honestly nothing is going to happen while the prevalence of serration etc + elemental mods still exist

considering DE officially classifies the current "endgame" as "35-38", its absurd that they give us weapons and mods capable of turning that level of enemy into pure fodder

enemy balance and ai doesnt help either, grineer spawn everywhere with hitscan weapons, knockdowns, and the absolutely worst designed enemy, the napalm

as long as the only strategies are "stack damage mods" and "kill everything around you immediately the second you see it" there will never be challenge in this game

but i would say some of the newer changes are a step in the right direction, pre u12 "hard mode" stalker, the three stooges, j2k, ruk, and the hyenaz are all much, much. MUCH better bosses than before.

honestly nothing is going to happen while the prevalence of serration etc + elemental mods still exist

considering DE officially classifies the current "endgame" as "35-38", its absurd that they give us weapons and mods capable of turning that level of enemy into pure fodder

enemy balance and ai doesnt help either, grineer spawn everywhere with hitscan weapons, knockdowns, and the absolutely worst designed enemy, the napalm

as long as the only strategies are "stack damage mods" and "kill everything around you immediately the second you see it" there will never be challenge in this game

but i would say some of the newer changes are a step in the right direction, pre u12 "hard mode" stalker, the three stooges, j2k, ruk, and the hyenaz are all much, much. MUCH better bosses than before.

True.

Besides, the game does not offer that many chances for skill. Movement is borked, there aren't that many things you can do.

Only that it takes 1 second to cast the 1st skill, my ignis can deal damage on an unlimited number of enemies in this time, much higher damage.

Also I dont see the point of a new melee system in a game where you press 4 to eradicate all life in an area of 15-50 meters.

Because, believe it or not, not everyone uses SUPERMEGAOPHURRDURR frames that eradicate all life within 50 meters. Some of us run with balanced frames holy S#&$ it's a miracle right?

Because, believe it or not, not everyone uses SUPERMEGAOPHURRDURR frames that eradicate all life within 50 meters. Some of us run with balanced frames holy S#&$ it's a miracle right?

I like to play my Loki too, all frames are "SUPERMEGAOPHURRDURR", as you would say, if you play them right. I stopped using close range melee when kestrel came out, sticked with it and glaive prime since then, which I also almost never use, because if I dont eradicate all life with my Warframes skills, I do so with firearms.

Also, no frame in this game is really balanced, DE has to do a lot more work on the frames.

No need to rage around like that.

Warframe only requires skill on that knife-edge between impossible and mind-numbingly-easy.  Warframe is a numbers-based RPG dungeon crawler that just happens to look like a TPS.  This is nothing new.  I joined on the first day of U5 IIRC and it's always been like this.

For the record, I do want to make that knife edge into a continent, but to do that, we have to overhaul how player growth happens.  Right now, the RNG-nature of the grind towards player growth is too unstable, so we can't actually balance the game.  Whether it's my idea or a better one, scaling needs to become predictable so the devs can appropriately design content around it.

how much actual skill does it take to press buttons on a keyboard and move a mouse around?..or move buttons on a gamepad?.

timing-  yes. 

ability to concentrate - yes

ability to point  a curser- yes

observation and memory - yes

skill- not so much. 

this has been true of every video game ever  written. 

just wanted  to  put that out there.

Second part, true.

First part. I'll have you know I can go in naked and defeat three T3 Heavy gunners.