The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sniper Rifles Need A Buff Like The Bows Recieved

killdamnzade

The recent buff to bows is awesome and it makes picking off single targets from a range a lot more fun but it left Sniper Rifles underwhelming. I know I'm not the only person who was disappointed with the Sniper Rifle Amp aura and its damage nerf from its previous state & the fact that it doesnt add as much extra mod slots compared to Rifle Amp, etc.

bows are far more OP than snipers now :/

Far more op? See, that's what's wrong with the community. Something is weaker than other stuff " OMG BUFF IT!", it gets buffed, other stuff is weaker compared to it "OMG TOO OP BUFF THAT TOO!". This is the reason why balancing is so hard, NO one is EVER satisfied with EVERYTHING.

You know what? Both bows AND snipers are far too WEAK! They are slow firing single target weapons that deal way more damage than you need (overkill). Now what? Want DE to remove all guns besides bows and snipers to make them viable again?

You know what? Both bows AND snipers are far too WEAK! They are slow firing single target weapons that deal way more damage than you need (overkill). 

This thing here ^

I love the snipers and the bows I'm happy with the ones we have and how they perform.

The recent buff to bows is awesome and it makes picking off single targets from a range a lot more fun but it left Sniper Rifles underwhelming. I know I'm not the only person who was disappointed with the Sniper Rifle Amp aura and its damage nerf from its previous state & the fact that it doesnt add as much extra mod slots compared to Rifle Amp, etc.

My Lanka does a base of 3727 dmg right now without crits or multishot. I've been able to hit upwards of over 100k with it. I don't think snipers need a buff.

Easy solution, get DE to release primed chamber as an event reward again, or just add it into the nightmare maps. That would be an instant equalizer for Vectis, and Lanka could make do by just reloading after each shot.

Edited by LazyKnight

While I don't disagree with the sentiment that Sniper Rifles need a bit of a broader niche in the game, I really wish people would stop using heavily-formaed weapons as benchmarks for viability.

Why not? Highly formaed weapons are where you push the boundaries of how far you can progress in the game.

While I don't disagree with the sentiment that Sniper Rifles need a bit of a broader niche in the game, I really wish people would stop using heavily-formaed weapons as benchmarks for viability.

But the purpose of a forma is to upgrade the weapons mod capabilities. If the weapon is good enough to warrant several forma's (like my lanka) then it should be used as a benchmark for viability.

Sniper rifles - at least the hitscan ones - have the luxury of pretty much guaranteeing your hit and usually sport better zooming capabilities (let us ignore the scope overlay for a moment).

Bows? Not. Projectile travel time and firing arc, which makes hitting certain far-away targets rather difficult.

Therefore, I believe the risk/reward for bows is now justified. If you can't deal with a bow, then you pick a regular sniper rifle. Less risk to mess up, thus less reward. Well, yes, to an extent only, because the sniper rifles themselves do have some weird differences inside their own category.

Just on a personal level, I have a hard time comparing bows to sniper rifles simply because of their innate differences, which is why I don't have much of an issue with the bow buff. It was needed. Was it too much? I don't know. What I do know is, that certain sniper rifles are definitely show too much of a weird discrepancy within their very own group.

Easy solution, get DE to release prime chamber as an event reward again, or just add it into the nightmare maps. That would be an instant equalizer for Vectis, and Lanka could make do by just reloading after each shot.

Yes. I would not mind this at all.

One thing people forget about bows is that their projectiles are slow compared to a hitscan bullet. Snipers (especially the Vectis) are much easier to aim than a bow, especially from medium-long range. Bows trade off this usability for pure penetrating power.

If you're using Nova, you'd also want to use a Vectis because Antimatter Drop does not take crit into account. Of course, this also means getting your hands on a Primed Chamber for optimal Drop damage...

The Latron Prime, meanwhile, provides a balance between the two. And due to its flexibility in its fire rate/magazine size/accuracy/rifle ammo type, it is a better overall option than the specialized bows and snipers. It also sounds awful, in my opinion.

Edited by Noble_Cactus

Why not? Highly formaed weapons are where you push the boundaries of how far you can progress in the game.

But the purpose of a forma is to upgrade the weapons mod capabilities. If the weapon is good enough to warrant several forma's (like my lanka) then it should be used as a benchmark for viability.

The inclusion of Forma in the balance equation only muddles the image of viability further. Once you slap a full set of polarities on a weapon, anything is going to be viable - even the MK-1 Braton and Skana. At that point it's no longer a question of "is this weapon reasonably viable," and instead a question of "do you like this weapon enough to force it to be viable." Balance is not about pushing boundaries. Balance is about maintaining a respectable level of functionality without exceptional effort on the part of the user.

Likewise, balance has absolutely nothing to do with "whether or not a weapon is good enough to warrant several formas." That's just favoritism at play, and it actually highlights the issue that I'm trying to address here. Weapons that are closer to being imbalanced (i.e. overpowered) are more likely to be customized through the use of Forma, grow more powerful, and lead to people saying "No, your weapon isn't underpowered, it just needs more Forma." Forma, at best, is a supplementary system that should by no means be required for a weapon to measure up to par. If a weapon is balanced, it should be able to stand on its own, without extensive customization and level-grinding.

Hence why I said that highly-formaed weapons should not be used as benchmarks for viability. Highly formaed weapons do not provide an accurate portrait of a weapon's performance. They provide an accurate portrait of a weapon's performance when pushed to its limits. Weapons should be balanced around functioning correctly at their most basic levels of performance, which would preclude the use of forma during consideration.

Not everybody is willing to expend several pieces of forma and rank a weapon to 30 several times to hopefully make a weapon less lackluster. Nor is everybody comfortable with severely limiting their options when it comes to mod loadouts.

agree with OP sniper rifles need buffing of some sort, there are a few ways this could be achieved be it base damage increases, multipliers or some other mechanic

in the current environment they have lost their place since its more viable to use a bow or marksman rifle now 

they should have the highest single shot damage in the game really

I think that snipers should have the same thing that bows do in that they have a form of innate punch through. (I know bows don't actually, but the killing lots of people in a line bit.) that would allow snipers like the vectis to free up mod points and slots because they don't have to have shred or auger on to be viable as anything but overkill. 

Sniper rifles - at least the hitscan ones - have the luxury of pretty much guaranteeing your hit and usually sport better zooming capabilities (let us ignore the scope overlay for a moment).

Bows? Not. Projectile travel time and firing arc, which makes hitting certain far-away targets rather difficult.

Therefore, I believe the risk/reward for bows is now justified. If you can't deal with a bow, then you pick a regular sniper rifle. Less risk to mess up, thus less reward. Well, yes, to an extent only, because the sniper rifles themselves do have some weird differences inside their own category.

Doesn't apply to the Lanka, which is also a projectile weapon. 

Doesn't apply to the Lanka, which is also a projectile weapon. 

Quoting myself, bold matters;

Sniper rifles - at least the hitscan ones - ...

Hence my statement isn't as hard pressed against said weapons like the Lanka. However, the Lanka still doesn't have an arc to be taken into consideration as well, "only" travel time.

Edited by Khunvyel