Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

This "broken Light" Problem Is Getting A Bit Out Of Hand.

nitroz76

It would appear that the lights do a stable 300 dmg per hit (it would appear i was a idiot somewhere in the post, my appologies), this still doesnt remove the fact that i had to revive a ember rank 5 when she was nuked in the spawn zone by those lights. Funny thing tho, if i didnt see her take those hits i never would of seen where they were hidden.

All in all there were about 5 of them in the spawn zone, her 350/350 (aproximately) ember droped quite fast.

Edited by Alinna

It would appear that the lights do a stable 300 dmg per hit (it would appear i was a idiot somewhere in the post, my appologies), this still doesnt remove the fact that i had to revive a ember rank 5 when she was nuked in the spawn zone by those lights. Funny thing tho, if i didnt see her take those hits i never would of seen where they were hidden.

All in all there were about 5 of them in the spawn zone, her 350/350 (aproximately) ember droped quite fast.

300 dmg per hit means that in two hits I'm already in health on Loki (and two more and I'm on the floor, huzzah). This mechanic is retarted (even more so than the dumb bolt) and needs to go yesterday.

It seems they don't evenk think or test their changes anymore (probably only tested with the new toy: Rhino Prime)

Edited by marelooke

My complaints about the broken lights aside, one of the things that bugs me about these traps is, why aren't they zapping the Grineer as well?  Last time I checked, electricity doesn't care what it nails.  

One of the things that might help with these traps would be better warnings.

"Tenno, my sensors are reading a high electrical threat down this hallway.  Be careful."

Or, have sections safety coned off.  Maybe have a couple dead Grineer techs laying around as well. 

I like this idea - a small warning would at least give us the chance to look around and check for the "lights" before they zapped us; enemies also take damage from others hazards, too, so why not this one?

If nothing else, they should look like actual lights that could be easily found and shot out - all this 'hiding' stuff makes it much harder to deal with them and pretty much guarantees you'll be taking the 300 electric damage. Removing the 'flashbang' effect was a step in the right direction but this certainly still needs tweaking.

Edited by ZephyrPhantom

hell, the broken light killed more tenno than the actual securities. Im not sure what they're hoping to accomplished but i can't even run 50 step without getting sapped by 3 of these lights, not to mention they're usually placed at the back of the damned door.

They could have added sensible things like turrets you can see but are fairly dangerous.

But no, we get maximum Kek lights.

Void: turrets triggered by pressure plates usually.

Corpus: turrets tied to security cameras.

Grineer; No turrets I can think of, Suspect they should operate by line of sight. 

Edited by Nariala

Found out last night:
On grineer invasion maps where you move from Grineer ship to the Corpus ship the broken lights have the ability to spread to the corpus ship.
And actually for the most part they are easier to notice in a corpus ship because of the far lower number of overhangs and the lower number of lights right on the other side of a door that you cant see.
The only issue is that if a window is blown out all of the lights take on the appearance of the broken lights and it becomes impossible to tell if there is one that will zap you or not.
But overall the lights are far easier to handle on the corpus ship than they ever will be on the grineer galleon:
-You can more easily see them
-They don't hide behind doors in areas that you cant shoot them before getting zapped by them
-You can far more easily see around the corpus doorways
-Far less overhangs and protruding ceiling objects to get in the way of seeing them.

So all in all moving them to the corpus side (and tweaking the damage) fixes a lot of annoyances I have with them.

In fact, the main corpus tile that I've been shocked in that was unavoidable is where the transfer pod drops you off at as you transition from the grineer ship to the corpus ship.  And as that tile doesn't normally occur in corpus ships the unavoidable shocks would largely disappear.

EDIT:
I still think that them still being broken lights and not something like a tesla trap or something is still quite stupid and it shoul dbe something that doesn't sound so sad to lose to.  I'm just saying that when they are on the corpus ships they are far less annoying an cheap than on the Grineer ships.

Edited by Tsukinoki

On a side note, has anyone thought to do the calculations required to see the amount of power that would be required to make the current jump that far?

Shamelessly stolen from the web:

Two bare copper cables 15cm apart, one charged and grounded would require 450,000 volts for the charge to spark over in dry sea level air.

The actual voltage is 30,000 volts a centimetre from the charged object, to the grounded object to get it to jump.

The fact that the light fitting would:

A have a ground much closer than the player.

B be fused.

C wouldn't be running the absolutely incredible voltage required to jump that far.

Just underlines how stupid this mechanic is.

Get rid of it, I don't pay my money to be cheap shotted by crap ideas like this.

Honestly I don't want those lights removed, I think it's a great addition.

DE just implemented them the wrong way.

Now, if they just rename it to electric trap. 

Make those electric traps active when the enemies alerted the whole base or a alerted within a certain tileset range.

-Alert phase that's something similar to MGS(suggested ages ago) or like when you're wanted in GTA.

It will make you aware that traps are active w/c make you really cautious while progressing.

It would make more sense than a random "broken light" zapping you out of nowhere.

-Add more traps in other tilesets. Bear trap(Forest Tile Set), Pitfall trap(Forest/Shipyard), Quicksand trap(Desert) etc...

-We really need enemy alert phases seriously.

Second from the top of Staff posts. About 5 and a half hours ago.

I don't frequent that area because I never figured it was used for what this area of the forums was meant to do: declare issues with game features. But thank you for the link, I was unaware of this. It makes me happy to know there is some attention on the subject.

i don't mind the broken lights now that the flasbang effect is minimalized....i just wish i could cut the power as part of a "side mission" and mitigate the possibility of the lights even being a factor. 

I wouldn't mind having a "Recon" side mission where you get the blueprints, list of all broken fixtures and then where to go to kill the power.

Having some kind of warning when you're approaching a broken fixture would be nice.  The broken lights on normal nodes don't make much sense to me.  If it's a functioning base, then there would be work crews around the broken areas.  Where are the safety cones and fried Grineer?  Busted fixtures make more sense on the invasion or infestation nodes.

If Lotus can find Heavy's coming towards you, why can't she identify a broken light?  -.- 

Edited by Noamuth

For advanced bioengineers with robotic body part replacements and incredibly powerful weapons and spaceships... they as hell don't know how to change a lightbulb.

I't not even the damage I'm upset with, it's the frequency and stupid reason behind it. Make them an genuine trab build by the grineer and make it so you don't have to inspect every single light (usually behind a corner that will hit you before you have a chance to see it) and I will be more than happy.

But right now it just feels like a bunch of cheap kills because this advanced race is too stupid to fix such a simple problem.

(don't get me started on how impractical and stupid the oxium ospreys are. unique rare material, builds strongest robot they have ever designed to kill itself)