Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Satisfy Both Exclusivists And Completionists

secret_character

So as it stands now, a lot of people are coming to the point where they look in the Codex Warframes section and see nice gold stars next to every entry except one: Excalibur Prime. That frame was only available in the Founder's Pack, which was only purchaseable until November 1st, 2013, and people who purchased that pack were promised explicitly that it (along with Lato and Skana Primes) would never be available again. So here we have a conflict: those who want all the gold stars (completionists), and those who want their status symbol to remain meaningful (exclusivists).

How can DE make both sides happy? In a word: trading. Let people trade Excalibur Prime, Lato Prime, and Skana Prime. The number of those items in circulation would not go up, maintaining their apparent prestige as high-value items, but those Founders who don't really care about showing off their status could trade them off for something they find more fun or useful. At the same time, those players who really want to fill out their Codex would have a potential path to do so. Win-win.

Now, you might think that this idea breaks DE's conventions on trading; there are currently no weapons or Warframes that can be traded, only parts and blueprints. However, there simply aren't any parts or blueprints for the Founder's gear. Unlike other gear, they aren't made from resources and credits, both of which DE sells in the Market for platinum, and they don't have a build time, which also can be skipped with platinum. So, trading these exclusive items isn't bypassing a chance for platinum to be removed from the player economy, which seems to be DE's main concern with trading.

There's a potential for "abuse" in this (I use the term very lightly here); what's to stop people from buddying up and trading the items around amongst themselves so they all get the gold stars? This would probably bug some exclusivists who feel like even the gold stars themselves should be exclusive, even if they aren't currently visible in-game by other players. The current trading fee system probably wouldn't be enough to satisfy them, even if it was set at multiple million credits. However, what if a platinum cost were added to the trading fee for the exclusive gear? It would make trading these items actually benefit DE (by lowering the supply of platinum in the player economy, demand rises, making people more likely to buy platinum from DE), and I think this fact would satisfy the exclusivists.

Of course, the Founder's items aren't the only exclusive items in the game. I also suggest allowing players to trade the Wraith/Vandal weapons. However, if DE actually does want to make them non-exclusive in the future (as has been hinted at), trading for them may simply not be an option.

The last thing I can think of that might concern people is the fact that weapons and frames aren't entirely static objects; they have an associated level and can be upgraded and customized with Orokin Reactors/Catalysts and Forma. I think it's obvious that the level of a piece of gear ought to be reset upon trading, but should upgrades and customization be removed? I don't really have an answer for that, so if you have an opinion one way or the other, feel free to share your reasoning.

Anyway, that's my idea, I hope you find it well-reasoned, but I assume there are probably more facets I've overlooked.

If it's only for the gold star in codex and not the frame itself (trust me, excalibur prime isn't that worth it actually), why don't let people scan other people's frame (while playing with them)? The system already there, just need a little expansion.

Edited by agung.up

No. If only those are tradable then the whining of "WHY NOT MAKE EVERYTHING TRADABLE" will happen and never ever go away. And if everything becomes tradable it will easily ruin the game.

There is no way to make both sides happy at this point, infact its pretty much impossible. No matter what DE does there is no way to make EVERYONE happy. It simply can not be done. The Founders gear along with the Braton and Lato Vandel will always be exclusive and thats the end of it.

Imo, mods need to start closing/locking these threads because I am pretty sure most people are sick of these discussions, especially when the answer has already been given that the current status of Founders gear and braton/lato vandel wont change.

Every other special weapon variant other than those I mentioned are far game to be re-released at some point.

Edited by Dtexas

I can see your point, and appreciate it as despite having the items in question, I'm lacking one or two things due to either no closed beta invite, or a missed event.

However, I highly doubt it'll happen in its current form, I do however think the previously mentioned idea of 'scanning' the item could work, hell, it could even implement a sort of black market in itself..."Scan mah cally prime,  10 platz" but that would probably be the...fairest...method.

That, or remove exclusives from the Codex.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

Founders Prime Exclusives

The Founders Program that ran last year has no active plans of being returned to the game. There is continued talk from players about bringing it back, or some aspect of rerelease, but it’s very unlikely to occur. But this always raises the question of what role do exclusive gear, particularly exclusive gear that signifies a moment or milestone in the game’s development play?

Token items for PS4 to signify the players who have stuck with us since the beginning is an ongoing conversation, and while we don’t have any results to report at this time, we believe it is an important topic to continue bringing up with the team, and are doing just that!

This.. isnt what i expected. Its not another thread "waaah de i want founder stuff" its actually presenting a viable solution for everyone. 

Came expecting a "rerelease excal prime nao!" and got a very constructive solution thread. Well done op. I actually support this option.

This thread again. Joy.

~Awaits the usual comments~

something tells me you didnt even bother reading the post. lol.

No. If only those are tradable then the whining of "WHY NOT MAKE EVERYTHING TRADABLE" will happen and never ever go away. And if everything becomes tradable it will easily ruin the game.

I gave a basis of reasoning for why non-exclusive items shouldn't be allowed for trading. If you could trade a weapon or frame after having built it from blueprints, DE would have fewer chances for people to buy things from the market for platinum. This reasoning doesn't apply to exclusive items.

Very unlikely this will happen. 

and if i was a founder i would be &!$$ed for paying for exclusive items just to have them be accessible to the masses later on.

They wouldn't be accessible to "the masses" with my idea. They would only be available from those Founders who choose to make them available, and only available to those players who are willing to pay the price that the Founder is asking.

Trading is going to open the door for exploitation of accounts that have this gear and harassment/pressure to trade items if they're seen in public with them. Actual availability will go down in the average case and only stay the same in the best case, as if even one person decides to own two of the items, you're losing net accounts that have them. Most people (the vast, overwhelming majority) are still not going to see the gold star....

+1 for scanning; At least that's a little better, but again, community will compile a list of founders and people will bother them constantly about getting their scans, especially as the codex is further incentivized. I paid to support DE and get shiny things, not to get bothered incessantly by completionists.

I'd be up for being able to trade stuff, and would offer a polarising and re-levelling service as a result. I wouldn't want to pay anyone Plat, but I'd offer some of my stuff as collateral.

if they DID allow trading of weapons it would most likely drop the level to 0 and depolarize it completely (aside from base polarities)

There is no way to make both sides happy at this point, infact its pretty much impossible. No matter what DE does there is no way to make EVERYONE happy. It simply can not be done. The Founders gear along with the Braton and Lato Vandel will always be exclusive and thats the end of it.

Imo, mods need to start closing/locking these threads because I am pretty sure most people are sick of these discussions, especially when the answer has already been given that the current status of Founders gear and braton/lato vandel wont change.

Every other special weapon variant other than those I mentioned are far game to be re-released at some point.

No one is forcing anyone to read any threads or posts, so if you are sick of them, don't read them.

Well, DE said they weren't likely to return.  But that's not really what he's proposing here.  He's proposing allowing the current items already in game mobility.

I don't think it's a bad idea.  I'm not sure if it would actually *help* anybody though.  The prices on the things would no doubt be unbelievably high.