Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Retune *all* The Frames! (11/19: Wildfire)

Archwizard

It's been dawning on me that Tribute could go a long way with Landslide/Ripline's comboing buff. Much more organic version of just refunding energy.

Spam the ability to stack buffs, let the combo fall off after you've maxed out your buff pool. Would have to be a longer combo than Landslide gets baseline, of course, but I'm sure that's a pretty variable value given that it's affected by Duration (which Tribute's buffs aren't, so hey, more points there).

On 8/27/2016 at 1:50 AM, tnccs215 said:

All in all-- and I think most agree with this-- I think it's a good time to officially close the deal.

I would happily keep arguing, but it seems everyone is tired of talking about Equinox and/or disagrees with me on principle, so I think it'd be unproductive :P

I had basically given up on improving the energy system after our previous discussion on that topic, but this thread seems like it might have a decent alternative: https://forums.warframe.com/topic/689569-how-to-solve-the-issues-with-nullifiers-draco-style-gameplay-and-overpowered-players-simultaneously/

Thoughts?

• Ivara needs to be able to simply press X while being on one of her dashwires, while another dashwire is in range, to switch between the dashwires. If more than one other dashwire is in range, Ivara will cycle through the dashwires.
  • Titania needs to have a "Vacuum" effect while being in fairy-mode, either through letting companion-passives still be active or by giving her a passive vacuum effect, so you aren't forced to hug the ground in fear of missing drops you want.
    • There should also be keybindings for Titania to move upwards and downwards, since it it pretty difficult to maintain a leveled position if you have to aim down at enemies while also flying forward.
  • Zephyr's jump from the ground needs to be without an energy cost.
  • Volt's passive should only trigger when his damaging abilities are used.
  • Enemies that died while being affected by Saryn's Spores should remain as corpses at the location they died and spread an AoE that slowly infects enemies with Spores when they're running through it.
Edited by KaeseSchnitte

3 minutes ago, ChronoEclipse said:

I would happily keep arguing, but it seems everyone is tired of talking about Equinox and/or disagrees with me on principle, so I think it'd be unproductive :P

Eh. We all already agree with the most important thing-- her issues-- and each of us already got a somewhat well (enough) defined idea of what they think is the perfect rework. And truth be told, that's more subjective than anything else. I don't think that there is much to discuss at this time, specially since Archwizard already made up their mind. But, if you got a super duper realization, or if you think this new idea is better than anyother so far, feel free to present it I suppose.

49 minutes ago, ChronoEclipse said:

I had basically given up on improving the energy system after our previous discussion on that topic, but this thread seems like it might have a decent alternative: https://forums.warframe.com/topic/689569-how-to-solve-the-issues-with-nullifiers-draco-style-gameplay-and-overpowered-players-simultaneously/

Thoughts?

Mh... I like their presentation of the problem, and their overall system. Really makes the energy obtaining process much more engaging. Obviously inspired by Overwatch's ultimate system, though with some rather interesting properties.

As obvious, I gave my upvote, and posted something about Equinox.

On 8/10/2016 at 8:07 PM, tnccs215 said:

Indeed.

Think about that: how a whole frame's value is hanging by a cheap augment

Just do away with both Pilfering Swarm and Desecrate, and give both frames abilities that affect the fight, not the loot meta. DE has already proven they will quickly and mercilessly nerf any ability that is adept at reducing the grind. Priority doesnt matter; other bugs dont matter; if it reduces the grind, it becomes priority. 

So why bother trying to find ways to make loot obtaining abilities better? If you dont achieve it, you leave the ability out there swinging in the wind, useless. Much like Tentacles are now. Or Desecrate, with its drastic health orb reduction, and the new "feature" that is orbs replacing other loot. Maybe if we took away Pilfering, Hydroid could get his (unreasonably, unjustifiably) nerfed power strength scaling back. And be...I dont know...useful, again? Because anything else DE is simply going to nerf.

2 hours ago, KaeseSchnitte said:

Enemies that died while being affected by Saryn's Spores should remain as corpses at the location they died and spread an AoE that slowly infects enemies with Spores when they're running through it.

i'd certainly prefer this over the instantaneous nature of the spreading currently.

On 21.03.2014 at 4:53 AM, Archwizard said:

Carrier's Vacuum changed from “pick up loot” to Onihikage's "Pack Mule".

No no no no no! We need loot pickups!

World on Fire replaced

World on fire is what makes Ember good enough, no need to replace it!

Peaceful Provocation replaced

Why replace best thing? We need Equi as amplifier!

Mend & Maim will each produce a stationary sphere when deactivated

No as it will just make it less useful.

entacle Swarm no longer summons tentacles

It will make it even less useful.

Pilfering Swarm is now limited to the creation of orbs, ammo and life support/batteries.

So becomes fully useless. Really, who would need it just for that?

Desecrate replaced with “Siphon Life”

No no no no! Why you hate loot abilities so much? You want everyone to be forced to pay boosters or just stop playing at all?

In general you have some great ideas but also you have bad ones.

You energy generation concept is not so good and it will make gameplay more sow and boring.

Let us enjoy the fight and rewards from it. No need to limit what people do even more.

We have sadly energy efficiency cap at 75%. We rarely see trinity in game outside hardest missions.

So if you limit even more it would be just another boring shooter as no one will have enough energy for using abilities.

We have lot of restrictions here for mods for example(amount of mods we can put isn't enough to do universal builds, only focused on 1-2 abilities).

27 minutes ago, Death_Master_ said:

No no no no no! We need loot pickups!

Literally the line above it, it says "Vacuum now is a universal Sentinel mod". Please finish what you're reading before casting judgement.

World on fire is what makes Ember good enough, no need to replace it!

World on Fire encourages lazy or generally bad behavior, popping the ability at the start of the mission and walking through the level without ever turning it off. It's fine in small bursts, but since it became a toggle with an unlimited duration the act generally just annoys the players around you, much like the complaints about Bladestorm.

Why replace best thing? We need Equi as amplifier!

Because the need to build up Peaceful Provocation both encourages players to stay in one form and discourages swapping, two things that were specifically addressed in the same rework.

No as it will just make it less useful.

How would that make Mend & Maim less useful? The section you highlighted only affects the release after you toggle the effect off. The damage/healing is already just an instant burst when the effect ends - the only thing this would change is letting the excess burn off over time.

How would that make Tentacle Swarm less useful? Despite what your crop-and-paste antics may have tried to leave out, you still get the tentacles, they just move with you rather than being static. It's not like we need them as a target area-based CC, since we have Tempest Barrage for that (and before you complain that TB's random, so is Tentacle Swarm as it is now; this removes the uncertainty from it; it's shorter, but cheaper too, so that's also a nonissue).

No no no no! Why you hate loot abilities so much? You want everyone to be forced to pay boosters or just stop playing at all?

I want everyone to be able to loot without needing those abilities in the first place.

You know that drop rates for most items fall in segments of less than 1% drop chance per kill, right? Why should we need play frames like Nekros and Hydroid to bump up those rates, when the devs could bump those up baseline and let us play what we want when farming?

In general you have some great ideas but also you have bad ones.

In general you show a lack of understanding for the difference between the thread's specific use of the term "retuning" and the playerbase's limited definition meaning "straight-buffing" - since here you seem to be just focusing on the things that yes, are intended as nerfs. The point of that section was both to add a long-term solution to lootcaving (as that tends to leave the devs reactively nerfing frames on a whim), and create an offset for some of the large power buffs that were added to many of the frames in the sections below that listing, to limit ability spam (especially since a large portion of the playerbase already arranges to get 70-75% Efficiency in every build they can get away with). If you have alternative suggestions that fulfill the same roles, however, we're all ears.

Besides, you've yet again glossed over that there's a specific request for innate energy regen as an offset.

Edited by Archwizard

4 hours ago, Death_Master_ said:

no one will have enough energy for using abilities.

We have lot of restrictions here for mods for example(amount of mods we can put isn't enough to do universal builds, only focused on 1-2 abilities).

don't expect that kind of hyperbole sarcastic joke to fly here.
you're not going to get support based on those kinds of lies. not here.

4 hours ago, taiiat said:

don't expect that kind of hyperbole sarcastic joke to fly here.
you're not going to get support based on those kinds of lies. not here.

Let's see closer? For example Nerkos needs to have or range build or shadows build(i did range build with a bit weakened shadows and it works but it makes me resast shadows every few sec to keep them alive which isn't so good). You can't fit everything because there simply not enough slots.

Excalibur needs or range(blind build) or power(ult build). Again you can't fit both. And most possibly both range and power builds will miss vitality/redirection/vigor because simply nowhere to put them.

Hydroid - no way we can fit survivability mods and stay strong enough for lv25-30 enemies(especially when they have ancients).

So where are lies? Maybe we can get Nekros ult recast cost lower than 25? No. We have zenurik restoring 10+energy per sec? No.

And without support like trinity my Nekros will run out of energy fast enough just from keeping shadows alive.

And it will mean we don't have enough energy to use skills.

Maybe your use of skills in one per minute or even hour and you don't care of them much... but for me skill spamming is fun.

It is the thing that makes it funny game instead of another boring shooter.

6 hours ago, Death_Master_ said:

There's a thing I'm a bit scared of: DE can take nerfs only from your list and implement them saying "You guys wanted it - here it is!" while forgetting fully about buffs.

That's pointless pessimist and devbashing. Assuming their actions is not a wise move-- specially when what you think they'll do is so blandantly unfounded. DE has a record of both nerfing and buffing several frames. Stop acting as if they hated the Oh so innocent playerbase.

Return when you have actual feedback to give.

6 hours ago, Death_Master_ said:

-snip-

you're describing User Error here - perhaps you should spend some more time practicing Equipping Mods.
using psychological projection to suggest that personal problems are the fault of the game, is asinine at best.

15 hours ago, Archwizard said:

You know that drop rates for most items fall in segments of less than 1% drop chance per kill, right? Why should we need play frames like Nekros and Hydroid to bump up those rates, when the devs could bump those up baseline and let us play what we want when farming?

and perhaps even take a page from themselves, and use Relic Refinement as an example of l00t increasing Mechanics that aren't tied to Warframe Abilities.
so that Support Abilities could focus on being so, finally.

On 9/5/2016 at 6:12 AM, KaeseSchnitte said:

Volt's passive should only trigger when his damaging abilities are used.

This change would make it similar to Limbo's passive: not really a passive at all, just a trait his abilities share.

If you can't use it without using a power, it's part of one or more powers rather than a passive. Also, his passive doesn't trigger when Shocking Speed dues (and I'd like to keep it that way).

I recently had a crazy dumb idea regarding Ember: Give World on Fire a similar mechanic to Hysteria.

These are placeholder numbers, but I wanted to give an idea of the magnitude of the buff I'm proposing.

For the 30 seconds (unmoddable) after World on Fire is cast, the base drain on World on Fire scales up to 12 energy/s. Along with this scaling in cost, Ember gets a 90% (moddable) buff to Power Strength and a 90% (multiplicative, unmoddable) buff to Power Efficiency on her other skills. The Power Strength buff will never directly buff WoF's damage, since Power Strength is snapshotted at cast time... it will, however, push Accelerant to truly absurd levels.

Maintaining WoF is now much harder, and doing so makes all her other abilities really strong and therefore more useful in comparison.
Thoughts?

46 minutes ago, ChronoEclipse said:

For the 30 seconds (unmoddable) after World on Fire is cast, the base drain on World on Fire scales up to 12 energy/s. Along with this scaling in cost, Ember gets a 90% (moddable) buff to Power Strength and a 90% (multiplicative, unmoddable) buff to Power Efficiency on her other skills. The Power Strength buff will never directly buff WoF's damage, since Power Strength is snapshotted at cast time... it will, however, push Accelerant to truly absurd levels.

that sounds cool.
i'd be tempted to have the Strength of World on Fire actually decrease over time, while it increases the strength of others. the ratio i'm looking for there is that World on Fire on it's own gets weaker, but Accelerant gets stronger and stronger to let use of Accelerant bring World on Fire higher in Damage dealt at 30 seconds than World on Fire + Accelerant was right after casting.

in short, World on Fire gets weaker but... Accelerant gets stronger at a faster rate than World on Fire gets weaker, making for an increasing net gain.

and tbh Channeled Abilities shouldn't have a fixed strength for their entire use length. it should taper off over a ( probably relatively generous) period of time.

4 hours ago, taiiat said:

and tbh Channeled Abilities shouldn't have a fixed strength for their entire use length. it should taper off over a ( probably relatively generous) period of time.

Might not be the best idea, but what if they were connected to %Energy left? At 100% energy left (full reserves) they'd be at full strength. It than would decay depending on the abilities base drain, with abilities with the biggest drain having the smallest decay.

This would grant another layer of management to frames with this type of abilities. Instead of being "mh, got 20 left, might as well activate it and catch the orbs" it would be "maybe I should wait a bit more to get more power...", therefore preventing spam.

Though, this might just be a buff to Energy overflow, if the proposed energy changes weren't applied.

Edited by tnccs215

Just had this weird and rather simple, but very helpful, idea for Limbo, to replace his Rift Surge (instead of the Rift Gate idea)

I call it Rift Link (or Rift Bond?)

50 or 75 energy (?), targetted with soft auto-lock-on (like Rest/Rage and Spellbind has)
Upon casting on an enemy, that enemy and the 1/2/3/4 enemies nearest to it, within its link range, are now bound together. Any damage (and also CC?) they receive is now suffered equally by ALL of them (not divided, but shared!). Damage can interact across the planes freely (so hurting someone in the rift can hurt someone linked to it who is NOT in the rift, and vice versa). Only one link can exist at a time, casting a new one removes the old.
Number of enemies linked is only affected by rank
Linking range is affected by Power Range
Linking duration is affected by Power Duration

It could do more things, such as stagger the linked enemies upon cast. The damage suffered by the others doesn't have to be 100% (but should be, preferrably, considering its energycost), but if not shared at 100%, then the percentage could also be modifiable by Power Strength. If it is deemed to be too WEAK to be at only 100% share, then it could additionally also increase all the damage taken of all the linked enemies by X% (thus giving it a use even on a single target, even if that would be, probably, mostly a waste of energy).

Maybe it's too simple? But the idea certainly alleviates multiple things:
1) It's an ability that has full useage both when used from the rift plane or from the real plane.
2) It allows him and allies to interact across planes to certain extents, which in turn grealty increases his team-friendlyness and team-utility.
3) It helps him dealing with crowds, to an extent, without completely negating that utility from Cataclysm
4) It's an ability which he can (gladly) spend lots of energy on, something he is missing.
5) It has natural synergy with his other spells:
Banish + Rift Walk + Rift Link = You can go into the Rift, link together a bunch of enemies, Banish one of them (preferably the toughest, thus he still keeps his "HVT-killer"-niche), kill it and then due to the link, also hopefully kill the other (up to 4) linked enemies, all in relative safety from harm.
Cataclysm + Rift Link = As @Archwizard proposed, enemies shouldn't be able to leave the Cataclysm on their own. This also means that you will be dragging enemies closer together as it shrinks which makes it easier for Rift Link at actually successfully linking multiple targets together. Also, it means that AoE / Punchthrough becomes far deadlier in the hands of a Limbo if he uses Rift Link and Cataclysm wisely.

Edited by Azamagon

2 hours ago, Azamagon said:

Also, it means that AoE / Punchthrough becomes far deadlier in the hands of a Limbo if he uses Rift Link and Cataclysm wisely.

i like the premise of said Ability - but the game doesn't really need to increase the value of AoE and Punch-Through, they've already been the pinnacle of Player Weaponry for years. this isn't a problem with the Ability, the game just doesn't need to specifically look for ways to increase the effectiveness of those two, they're already the two most effective things.

2 hours ago, taiiat said:

i like the premise of said Ability - but the game doesn't really need to increase the value of AoE and Punch-Through, they've already been the pinnacle of Player Weaponry for years. this isn't a problem with the Ability, the game just doesn't need to specifically look for ways to increase the effectiveness of those two, they're already the two most effective things.

Well, true, I guess *shrugs*
It's more like a "lucky" side-effect it has. So that said, the shared damage maybe shouldn't be 100%?
Also, personal opinion here: While I think Punchthrough is very powerful, it's still FAR more situational and harder to use correctly than AoE. I was even gonna suggest that one of the Rift Link's augments maybe could make it so the ability try its best to make the linked enemies be moved kind of into a line, so it fits more for Punchthrough, but I didn't write it down because that'd probably be far too strong.

2 minutes ago, Azamagon said:

So that said, the shared damage maybe shouldn't be 100%?

While I think Punchthrough is very powerful, it's still FAR more situational and harder to use correctly than AoE.

not because of AoE or Punch-Through, i was just pointing out that you don't need to emphasize their effectiveness with Abilities, they're fine already. :p

both are situational and 'hard to use' - but in reality neither are and are very easy to use and since Enemies are stupid very easy to apply to Enemies to great effect.

On 5.9.2016 at 5:39 PM, taiiat said:

i'd certainly prefer this over the instantaneous nature of the spreading currently.

My suggestion isn't meant to replace the current mechanic, but to supplement it. Saryn is good at keeping up her damage as long as there is a steady stream of new enemies to spread her Spores to. But if that's not the case, her damage begins to fall off. My suggestion was meant to keep the damage output consistent.

On 7.9.2016 at 8:55 PM, ChronoEclipse said:

This change would make it similar to Limbo's passive: not really a passive at all, just a trait his abilities share.

If you can't use it without using a power, it's part of one or more powers rather than a passive. Also, his passive doesn't trigger when Shocking Speed dues (and I'd like to keep it that way).

Currently Volt's passive discharges if any damaging ability is used, even if that ability doesn't hit an enemy. That even includes bullet jumps. You are never able to fully charge the passive as long as you don't strictly avoid hitting enemies. My suggested change would make the passive more impactful, since it usually has more time to charge up and isn't triggered randomly.

29 minutes ago, KaeseSchnitte said:

My suggestion isn't meant to replace the current mechanic, but to supplement it.

that would be great in theory, but we don't really need more exacerbation of exploits on Spores. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

if that wasn't a problem though, then certainly.

Edited by taiiat

On 9/8/2016 at 6:22 AM, Azamagon said:

Rift Link

.....Yes. I like this idea.

I would argue, however, that the damage sharing should be affected only by ability rank... and the number of targets by Power Strength.

This makes it scale nicely with all power stats and maintains a reason for Limbo to use Strength.

You want range to get more possible linked targets, you want duration to give you long enough to do the murder, and you want strength to make it link as many of the possible targets as possible.

Perhaps the damage sharing should only be dealt on kill, and be 25/50/75/100% of the victim's maximum HP in finisher damage? This would make the AoE/Punchthrough applications much less since it wouldn't reduce your TTK on anything but heavies surrounded by light units... and that only on high levels.

This now enhances/expands Limbo's role as a heavy-killer: it rewards him for killing heavies by giving him more kills, and it helps him kill heavies by allowing him to kill them by killing a number of lighter units nearby.

Perhaps most importantly, it gives Limbo real team utility outside of "Here, you're invulnerable and get free energy to spam your powers with".

Also, how OP would it be to make the Rift suppress all enemy armor and shielding? Actually, why not just have the Rift maintain radiation procs on any enemy inside it?!
You now have a real reason to fight enemies in the Rift aside from energy regen and control, so 'frames other than Limbo now have a good reason to want the Rift around (again, aside from enabling power spam).

On 9/8/2016 at 6:12 PM, KaeseSchnitte said:

Currently Volt's passive discharges if any damaging ability is used, even if that ability doesn't hit an enemy. That even includes bullet jumps. You are never able to fully charge the passive as long as you don't strictly avoid hitting enemies.

I frequently charge Volt's passive to maximum. A lot of Volt play is just running through levels with Shocking Speed active so you don't have to bother fighting XP

Another thing to note is that charging the passive to max isn't necessarily what the passive is about: it's just a bit of extra damage awarded thematically. I think the fact that it's wasted by bulletjumps and any stray gunfire is regrettable, but I'm OK with it. I mean, a good Speed Volt only really wants to bulletjump for vertical movement anyway :V.

On 9/8/2016 at 6:12 PM, KaeseSchnitte said:

My suggested change would make the passive more impactful, since it usually has more time to charge up and isn't triggered randomly.

Yes, but it also makes it not a passive. It's the same problem that Nyx's "passive" has: if you can only trigger an effect by casting abilities, why would you call it a passive at all?

Alright so, weird change of topic, but one thing we never discussed in this thread that is entirely relevant, which I've been quietly considering for some time now:

Focus abilities.

Since its release, Focus has been a hot-button topic for everyone. We finally get an iteration of abilities with innate cooldowns, and they're supposed to represent the "true power of the Tenno" which made us feared even by the Sentients... but aside from a couple trees, most of the abilities or upgrades are widely considered underwhelming, or even straight-up uninteresting. 
The pinnacle of this is, of course, the Unairu tree: armor buffs all the way up, with some repetitive CC and a splash of flat damage. However, even among the trees that are considered "effective", we're left with a lot of effects that are glorified versions of existing Warframe abilities, simply slotted into new setups.

My personal philosophy is, Focus has the perfect setup right now to give players a series of mutually exclusive, universally applicable "oh S#&$" buttons - because they're only available on a significant cooldown (which gets longer if you bother to upgrade it), the effects already cannot be spammed, significantly limiting the potential for abuse compared to a lot of the abilities we already have.

The short version? Focus should be overpowered, compared to Warframe powers. Purposefully. Because it has the heaviest limitations in the game.

And I'm talking about things like brief but potent periods of invulnerability, instant killing (which keep in mind, Covert Lethality Finishers already grant), infinite energy, and so on - limited at first, with greater effects at the cost of a longer cooldown as you move up the tree. Things that can get players interested in literally any tree, rather than just the top two and a half.
The idea that they provide passives after expiration is, of course, still an available option - especially if they can stack, to provide some scalability against enemy factions. And of course, the "trap options" (such as Polluted Waters) will need to be re-examined to make them considerable choices.

Edited by Archwizard

16 minutes ago, Archwizard said:

Alright so, weird change of topic, but one thing we never discussed in this thread that is entirely relevant, which I've been quietly considering for some time now:

Focus abilities.

Since its release, Focus has been a hot-button topic for everyone. We finally get an iteration of abilities with innate cooldowns, and they're supposed to represent the "true power of the Tenno" which made us feared even by the Sentients... but aside from a couple trees, most of the abilities or upgrades are widely considered underwhelming, or even straight-up uninteresting. 
The pinnacle of this is, of course, the Unairu tree: armor buffs all the way up, with some repetitive CC and a splash of flat damage. However, even among the trees that are considered "effective", we're left with a lot of effects that are glorified versions of existing Warframe abilities, simply slotted into new setups.

My personal philosophy is, Focus has the perfect setup right now to give players a series of mutually exclusive, universally applicable "oh S#&$" buttons - because they're only available on a significant cooldown (which gets longer if you bother to upgrade it), the effects already cannot be spammed, significantly limiting the potential for abuse compared to a lot of the abilities we already have.

The short version? Focus should be overpowered, compared to Warframe powers. Purposefully. Because it has the heaviest limitations in the game.

And I'm talking about things like brief but potent periods of invulnerability, instant killing (which keep in mind, Covert Lethality Finishers already grant), infinite energy, and so on - limited at first, with greater effects at the cost of a longer cooldown as you move up the tree. Things that can get players interested in literally any tree, rather than just the top two and a half.
The idea that they provide passives after expiration is, of course, still an available option - especially if they can stack, to provide some scalability against enemy factions. And of course, the "trap options" (such as Polluted Waters) will need to be re-examined to make them considerable choices.

I... Agree.

Focus has cooldowns that go beyond the duration of some of the fastest missions, and granting them pure overpoweredness would not be, well... Overpowered. It was a disappointment when the damage dealing focus is not that damage dealing, and the durability focus is not that durable.

Due to the fact that Focus is not that powerful, the intelligent user will focus themself on the passive sides,any of which grant benefits between the "this should be the norm" (zenurik, if energy orbs were removed and pads had cooldowns) and "this is way too overpowered" (naramon's shadow step). Hence, I agree it makes sense for, say, zenutik not to be locked to a cone, Vazarin to grant temporarly invulnerability, and Naramon to actually be an enormously damaging ability.

A friend of mine has been preparing a focus rework for some time. Maybe you'd like a look to it. I'll call him to the conversation.

@Teloch, talk to us about your focus rework I've ignored for way too long.

Edited by tnccs215