Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cover System?

Noxbi

Warframe is a third person shooter done really, really good. It has everything that the game of that genre should have except the one thing. Cover system. Even a simple one. I feel kind of silly when I see the Grineer, Corpus and even the hostages from rescue missions (when I borrow him/her the weapon) can hide and fire from behind the objects. And I, the elite warrior, the best of the best, the great Tenno, need to stay on the open because if I really want to hit the enemy I need to go out from my hding place because bullets still hit the edges of the wall and other objects that I'm hiding behind. Only exception are bows.
Also, I remember darkSector, it had very simple cover system, but it really worked out for me. I miss it in Warframe. :D

While i agree with the fact that Warframe don't need a cover system, i'm getting a bit tired of all those people saying that "A cover system will slow down the pace of the game"

Ever heard of Vanquish ?

Still, i think DE needs to improve the dodge mechanics

You are a ninja. You can run up and along walls, run circles around enemies, and can dodge in pretty much any direction.

You do not need a cover system. Do not ask for it.

Yet how many times in a mission is the ability to run along walls actually helpful in combat? And while we can run circles around enemies they can still turn fast enough to keep us in their sights and continue spraying us with bullets and lasers, and they usually come in big enough swarms to where while your circling one guy at least two or three others are still shooting you.

Hey, hey! Cover system wouldn't prevent players from speed running and parkouring. Why do you think otherwise?

And yes. I do need a cover system. It would help me to really feel stealthy. I bought Ash and Banshie especially because they were said to be "stealth" but there's no such thing as "stealth" in this game which is very disappointing. And as I said, this game is pretty cool as it is, dodging and running and stuff is nice, I know, but there are some situations (especially when I really want to play stealthy - yeah, i'm this kind of player) when quick sneak and fire from behind the cover would be very helpful. ;)

or you know... crouching or hiding behind a wall works too.

It's way too oldschool. :D

Edited by Noxbi

There's already a cover system in the game.. Just hid around a box/container/corner, and use your camera switch to literally shoot behind it. It's an 3ps trick from like the 90s bro.

We don't need no fancy schmancy gears of war bull crap cover system. Also what everyone is saying about being a ninja is very true as well.

There's already a cover system in the game.. Just hid around a box/container/corner, and use your camera switch to literally shoot behind it. It's an 3ps trick from like the 90s bro.

Yes, I know. But it doesn't work as it should. My bullets still disappear hitting invisible hitbox. Just like in 90's bro.

Here are the few issues with a cover system:

-It would break parkour and movement and slow everything down.

Why? Try running or vaulting over things when all your tenno wants to do is cuddle every single chest high wall and box he comes upon.

-It would be impossible to balance.

Why?

Do you balance around the people that run-n-gun and never use cover? Well now you've just given everyone who uses cover effective invincibility against the vast majority of enemies and they'll complain even louder that the game is easier.

Do you balance around the people that use cover? Well now you're forcing everyone to use cover. Why? In any game with cover sticking your head out of it for even a few seconds ends up with you dead as enemies have to hit like a ton of bricks at all levels in order to have even a chance of hurting the player. That makes parkour and melee (you know the big thing in U13) pure suicide.

Why? Try running or vaulting over things when all your tenno wants to do is cuddle every single chest high wall and box he comes upon.

Why?

Do you balance around the people that run-n-gun and never use cover? Well now you've just given everyone who uses cover effective invincibility against the vast majority of enemies and they'll complain even louder that the game is easier.

Do you balance around the people that use cover? Well now you're forcing everyone to use cover. Why? In any game with cover sticking your head out of it for even a few seconds ends up with you dead as enemies have to hit like a ton of bricks at all levels in order to have even a chance of hurting the player. That makes parkour and melee (you know the big thing in U13) pure suicide.

Here is an idea to possibly stop it from breaking parkour: have it be a keybind and not an automatic thing. Example: when near some kind of cover pressing C will cause you to "latch" onto it, while not pressing C will just have you wallrun/jump/leap over it like normal. 

And to balance the cover system they could: 

Improve the A.I. (Have enemies flank, focus fire on those who are hiding, throw grenades to flush them out, etc...)

Give enemies varying amounts of punch through, or make the objects that can be used for cover destructible, forcing you to move on.

Why?

1. It will break nothing, taking cover is a defensive maneuver, parkour moves are mobility/offensive maneuvers

Cover slows everything down ? HAVE YOU EVER PLAYED VANQUISH GOD DAMMIT ? Sorry for caps lock

2. Don't allow blind firing and it will be fine, peaking out of cover to take a shot on a squad of level 30 grineers will still be a pain in the &#!

And don't forget explosions AoE don't give a F*** about walls

Yet, a cover system will just be an hindrance, because maps aren't designed to make it useful (Parkour is already a pain to use)