Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Yet Another Newbie With A Grustrag Bolt...

Xylia

Seriously, DE.

We need to stop putting Grustrag Bolts on newbies. There's another thread here in General where a newbie got bolted by the G3, when he was in no position whatsoever to even dream about trying to get rid of the stupid thing.

This is ridiculously unfair. I would like to ask a DE dev how they expect someone who's on Earth to...

1). Get 20 Oxium with a Braton, MK-1 Braton, or Strun when the Venus Oxium Ospreys are nearly impossible to kill for a newbie equipped with those weapons with no damage mods (since damage mods don't drop until late Earth)

2). Get a Neural Sensors (which requires getting to Jupiter; good luck making it through Earth with that ridiculous debuff on you). Even if you got through Earth, the Detron Crewmen and Anti-Moas would tear newbies in Excaliburs apart.

3). Get a Neurodes (which almost never drop, again, good luck farming Earth with the debuff).

Nothing is a more clear message to a newbie that he should just quit the game than taking an already hard mission (anything on Earth for newbies), and making it 50% harder to complete missions. Newbies already do pathetic damage (thanks to having no damage mods for their weapons), nerfing their damage output by ANOTHER 50% is just insane.

So, recap:

You should only get a Bolt if you are MRX (IMO, MR5) or higher, unless you have a Death Mark on you. The first time you complete an Invasion mission, you should get an email from the Lotus, where she warns you that fighting for the Grineer or Corpus will make them angry with you and they might start hunting you down.

Are you serious? Mastery 5? Go with a group and farm some Cambria with other's, then beat the other levels on Earth with a good group, farm for Neutral on Jupiter and then farm on Venera with others, simple and done

Except you can't skip ahead unless you form a group with someone first, since yanno, nodes are locked until you clear them. You can't join random PUG games on a node you don't have unlocked.

And how many newbies actually know where Neural Sensors drop? How many newbies realize you have to try to dodge the Oxium Ospreys before they suicide to get Oxium? How many newbies are actually going to be good enough to dodge them 2, 3, 4 times until they finally die, WHILE being attacked by everything else in the room? Heck, there are times *I* can't even kill the damn things, because I take a running slide as soon as I hear the "I'mma charge you NOW!" sound, and it suicides 30 feet away from me, even though I did a running slide forward flip jump to the side away from it as soon as it did that sound. It seems 50/50 whether or not that actually works, and for a newbie with a Braton, well.... it'd take at least 3 maybe 4 times before they'd finally kill the damn thing since those stupid "lighter-than-air" robots have a RIDICULOUS amount of health.

And as far as the Neurodes.... again, you're asking a newbie to join a match where he does almost nothing (thanks to the 50% debuff)? An unmodded braton already does pathetic damage. With the bolt, you might as well not even bother. So you're basically just standing around doing nothing while the bolt is on you.

Okay maybe MR5 is a bit late... how about MR4? Or even 3? Or maybe make it a requirement that you had to have unlocked at least 1 mission in Jupiter?

Something, anything.

The newbie player experience is just horrible right now, and we don't need this kinda crap making it worse.

Edited by Xylia

New players pipin, are left to just random people if they came here on thier own. Don't know anyone and are just trying to get any gear they can. I'll agree with Xylia that there needs to be some more reasonable scaling for the hunter marks and stalker. They are seemingly over the top for new people often with quick defeats before they even have a chance to react.

I think there should be something like a "Stalker/Harvester/G3 lite".

To show new players the system behind the Stalker/Harvester/G3, without beating the crap out of them and just ruin their game experience.

If they kill this "lite version" it could drop some of the mod a new player really needs like a Serration, Hornet Strike or Pressure Point.

Maybe one has to fight this opponent in a "Mastery Ranke" like Mission type afte one has killed a boss or finished an invasion mission.

And if you fail this mission one wouldn't have a penalyt like the Grustrag Bolt.

Once you get to the point were you can get a bolt I do not consider you a newbie.

I agree with Icarus, if you get a bolt it's because someone did atleast some Grineer invasions

you do understand that the G3 kills anyone in theyr path right?

when someone marked joins Appolo on Mercury and G3 spawns they just need to look at the newbie and he is dead, just because he got killed by them ,doesn't mean that he did any invasions or that he even passed Mercury yet

I would personally be more than glad to help newbies who can't help themselves in getting rid of these bolts. It wouldn't be too hard to taxi someone to Thermisto and Kappa for a few runs to get the required materials. You can contact me in-game when I'm playing, and I'll see what I can do to help.

Alternatively, if you're in a clan, your clan-mates should be expected to help you (If they won't help, then your clan sucks). Or, you can do dark sector missions to fight against infested instead of grineer (even though they're down 2/3 of the time for conflicts.)

I hope this helps you, because we know the devs won't help.

PS: I'm not playing right now, soz.

Edited by Endorphinz

you do understand that the G3 kills anyone in theyr path right?

when someone marked joins Appolo on Mercury and G3 spawns they just need to look at the newbie and he is dead, just because he got killed by them ,doesn't mean that he did any invasions or that he even passed Mercury yet

This. I was regularly matched with guys that were MR1/2 when I ran Eurasia/Lua when they were interception missions, I've been playing for over a year - paying for a bolt cutter on my end is trivial (and I've still yet to be bolted), for a newbie? It's like getting cursed in the first Dark Souls, pretty much guaranteed to ruin their playthrough since they lack the means to do anything about it.

The G3 either need to only affect the marked target, or they should only spawn if all members of the team meet the criteria for them to spawn in the first place.

Once you get to the point were you can get a bolt I do not consider you a newbie.

So getting to Apollodorus is "Not a newbie"?

Here's what happens from Newbie PoV:

1). Get up to Captain Vor and be unable to kill him.

2). Ask in chat "hey wtf? I can't kill this guy"

3). Get reply "Run Apollodorus until you get Serration!"

4). Newbie runs Apollodorus PUGs.

5). One day, the lights flicker, these 3 guys spawn and BAM. One Shot, Yellow dome.

6). He now has a bolt he has no hope of ever getting rid of.

Alternatively, you could replace steps 1-4 with "Get to Earth and get stuck on Lua and have to run Random PUG and the G3 Spawn".

Edited by Xylia

Outrageous situation indeed.

Easy fix. Noobs (say Mastery level < 2 for the sake of giving a numeric value) get a MUCH easier bolt unlock bp from Lotus. Say a morphics and some trash he can get on Venus plus a few thousand credits.

Keeping the BP for later is technically possible but I doubt most will, and even then, it's only one time.

Also, it's not like he is going to compete with G3 anyway.

or just never give him the bolt if ML<2

Btw, what about the poor noobs that get harvested? Now that's going to be a fun ride on a crappy frame. Maybe just play a cutscene where some other beefy frame saves his backside from the prison?

Edited by bobafetthotmail

I guess to elaborate on bobafetthotmail's suggestion.

Have the resource (and maybe credit) requirements vary based on one's Mastery rank and/or what planets they have unlocked on the star chart and to make it a little easier to deal with, have the requirements specifically drop from the Corpus. This way, if they do have to farm for the resources needed to unlock the bolt, the damage penalty caused by the bolt won't come into play. 

Maybe the newbie-friendly Grustrag bolt can require 20 Polymer Bundles, 15 Alloy Plates, a handful of Circuits, and have the credit cost be reduced to say.....3,000 credits. 

I guess to elaborate on bobafetthotmail's suggestion.

Have the resource (and maybe credit) requirements vary based on one's Mastery rank and/or what planets they have unlocked on the star chart and to make it a little easier to deal with, have the requirements specifically drop from the Corpus. This way, if they do have to farm for the resources needed to unlock the bolt, the damage penalty caused by the bolt won't come into play. 

Maybe the newbie-friendly Grustrag bolt can require 20 Polymer Bundles, 15 Alloy Plates, a handful of Circuits, and have the credit cost be reduced to say.....3,000 credits. 

agreed

This. I was regularly matched with guys that were MR1/2 when I ran Eurasia/Lua when they were interception missions, I've been playing for over a year - paying for a bolt cutter on my end is trivial (and I've still yet to be bolted), for a newbie? It's like getting cursed in the first Dark Souls, pretty much guaranteed to ruin their playthrough since they lack the means to do anything about it.

The G3 either need to only affect the marked target, or they should only spawn if all members of the team meet the criteria for them to spawn in the first place.

Why dont we make it so the G3 dosnt spawn on anything earth and down?

This issue has brought forth an upcoming change to the Grustrag 3's choice of pursuing lower ranked players.

We agree that the struggle for New Players getting 'bolted' early would cause frustrations. Thanks for reporting! 

Honestly, Stalker and Grustrag are nice "shock value" enemies, but it'd make more sense for Stalker to be a high-level assassin since he's supposed to be so old and all. He should be stronger than the Grustrag 3 and target high-level Tenno.

Newbie here, just got bolted... I think a higher level player who was with me was the reason the G3 showed up. I was really confused and thought it was just part of my mission or I would have bailed ASAP. This is extremely frustrating... I am barely finishing Venus now and from what I've read here I have a long road ahead of me before I can enjoy the game again.. . A simple solution could be to auto send the needed items for unlocking the bolt if the playe doesn't have Jupiter unlocked. Luckily I joined a clan today and they will probably help me get the items but this early in the game I don't feel like I should have to depend on them like that :(

You do have the option of leaving the level when they give the warning. Thought this was put in place for players if they are to low or have bad gear .

Newbies probably don't even KNOW what G3 is nevermind being able to understand the warning and know they should get out of dodge

Can someone give me a good reason as to why this bolt/player-tax is even needed...

So you want to add a little bit of punishment to losing a round...okay, but is losing any gathered credits/exp/mods for the round not enough?  Did someone feel as though this game was lacking in "grind for x" mechanics?

Maybe we should add cypher-bolts too. I feel as thought these are too easy and could benefit from a little gravity added to the situation. The game could surely benefit from a 20 platnum charge to remove said bolt, and if it is not removed your frame/weapons should slowly derank at a rate of -5 levels per match...  Sounds like a fun idea, right?

Edited by Spazmok

Can someone give me a good reason as to why this bolt/player-tax is even needed...

So you want to add a little bit of punishment to losing a round...okay, but is losing any gathered credits/exp/mods for the round not enough?  Did someone feel as though this game was lacking in "grind for x" mechanics?

Maybe we should add cypher-bolts too. I feel as thought these are too easy and could benefit from a little gravity added to the situation. The game could surely benefit from a 20 platnum charge to remove said bolt, and if it is not removed your frame/weapons should slowly derank at a rate of -5 levels per match...  Sounds like a fun idea, right?

I'd have to agree that the bolt idea just sounds....... stupid and uninteresting IMO.

When the Harvester defeats you, you get to play a unique Escape Mission and that sounds like that could actually be fun.

But the Grustrag Bolt....is basically a Mission Failed + Grind to remove the bolt.

The last thing Warfarm needs is more Grind.

IMO, I'd rather they make another type of Escape Mission having to do with the G3. Maybe the G3 drag the Tenno to some Arena where they train Grineer troops how to fight Tenno. They give you naught but a stick to defend yourself with, and they send various units in after you and you have to find a way to escape the Arena while fighting off the guys. Once you escape the Arena, you end up in some ductwork that the Grineer can't follow you in, and while you're in there, the Lotus can do a supply drop with real weapons (the weapons you chose to start the mission with) and you have to go find them while trying not to be seen the Grineer.

Once you get your weapons, then it is a simple "Fight to get out". Maybe there's a Time Limit on it, say, 3-5 minutes that you have to get to the extraction point. If you don't, the Grustrag Three show up again. If you beat them, you get the Brakk piece. If not... then you have to repeat the mission again.