Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Does Frost Have Shield's Halved?

RespectTheInternet

I know this isn't really a big deal, but I just wanna know why frost takes damage to his shields in maps with "frost" effect, when he is the Ice frame. He sits in a snow glove (which based on the effects, means he is inside of a blizzard) and is completely ok, but a little ice on the ground and suddenly he's weaker.

Does he slip every time he walks and hits the floor, making his shield weaker or something? 

Edit: because no one will ever read what has been written below, I'm just throwing it in up here. This isn't an issue of enemies attacking with an element ex: Ignis or Napalm Vs Ember, but rather of environmental Hazards dealing damage to a Frame when their abilities are far more Dangerous than a little ice or fire on the ground.

It would just be a nice touch on the Games part to show that the respective frame has at least Some sort of immunity to their element to lessen the ? Factor of frames being damaged by their own elements.

If you feel that such a change would be Hugely unfair to other frames, I only ask if you would honestly pick Ember because she can walk on fire Hazards when it happens, or Frost on the chance that there will be a frost Effect in the map. If that's the one extra important reason that you would pick them over any other, then I don't think you're playing them for right reasons.

Edited by RespectTheInternet

why does Ember get set on fire?

why does Volt get electrocuted?

why does Saryn get poisoned?

yeah that's what I thought

That's not the point. I'm not ascribing it to enemies attacking, I'm saying that the environment is somehow hostile to him, when his frame already deals with subzero temperature with his abilities.

Resistance to fire doesn't prevent explosions, or volt and etc. Those are all hostile attacks which work for Balance or whatever. The frost effect is just very... out of place.

It could be a difference in temperature that causes it.

For example, at the freezing point of water, the water in the air will condense into a liquid and then freeze, just as frost on a window. If the ice levels were then an even lower temperature, let's say minus 80 Celsius, it changes things. At this temperature, not only will the water in the air freeze, but so will the Carbon Dioxide.

Perhaps shields aren't affected by normal cold temperatures (around the freezing point of water), but will become affected when confronted with much colder temperatures (as on the Earth's poles, or much colder than that depending on which planet you're on).

I really don't get why the frames don't have passives. This seems like video games 101 to me. Creates gameplay, reduces WTF factor, increases the COOL factor.

Hopefully passives can be a thing when the rumored "focus" system comes out.  They're going to need a UI for it, and they can probably make room to list a frame's passive effects there.

That's not the point. I'm not ascribing it to enemies attacking, I'm saying that the environment is somehow hostile to him, when his frame already deals with subzero temperature with his abilities.

Resistance to fire doesn't prevent explosions, or volt and etc. Those are all hostile attacks which work for Balance or whatever. The frost effect is just very... out of place.

fire environments still affect Ember, your point still doesn't go against what I said

fire environments still affect Ember, your point still doesn't go against what I said

That would also qualify, though I completely forgot about it. if Ember can run through her explosions, why does stepping on some burning ashes suddenly set her on fire?

Quite frankly, you don't have a point. All your saying is "Dur Hur, the game is like this, so whatever." I'm  not trying to say that these frames should get a magical immunity to their respective elements, but small things like Frost and Ember having resistance to these things would just be a nice touch and shout out to the fact that the frame uses those elements because they have the special power to do so.

It could be a difference in temperature that causes it.

For example, at the freezing point of water, the water in the air will condense into a liquid and then freeze, just as frost on a window. If the ice levels were then an even lower temperature, let's say minus 80 Celsius, it changes things. At this temperature, not only will the water in the air freeze, but so will the Carbon Dioxide.

Perhaps shields aren't affected by normal cold temperatures (around the freezing point of water), but will become affected when confronted with much colder temperatures (as on the Earth's poles, or much colder than that depending on which planet you're on).

That sounds interesting, though then the frost effect should occur whenever your on a corpus winter map. In fact, why don't all corpus winter maps have frost effect? Your surrounded by snow.

That would also qualify, though I completely forgot about it. if Ember can run through her explosions, why does stepping on some burning ashes suddenly set her on fire?

Quite frankly, you don't have a point. All your saying is "Dur Hur, the game is like this, so whatever." I'm  not trying to say that these frames should get a magical immunity to their respective elements, but small things like Frost and Ember having resistance to these things would just be a nice touch and shout out to the fact that the frame uses those elements because they have the special power to do so.

no, what I was saying is that if Frost and Ember gets special treatment, why don't the other elemental frames? What about non elemental frames? What special treatment do they get to make it more even between them all?

@RespectTheInternet

So you make frost immune to ice maps and ember immune to fire on the ground.

What about every single other frame in the game?

What do they get to balance it out?

And where does it end? Why wouldn't ember be immune to scorches flames? Or the fire spot left by napalms? Afterall, that's just fire so she should be immune to it by your reasoning.

And that just leaves the rest of the frames at a huge disadvantage with nothing going for them. It would just further distort and destroy any chance of balancing the frames if it was done that way.

personally i feel the whole ice-halving shields thing to be a bit extreme compared to the laughable fire hazards. you can avoid the fire but the ice goes throughout the whole map. i feel like either it should be reduced to -15/25% shields or have it only effect certain rooms like the fire hazards (makes those particular rooms more dangerous to fight in but doesnt screw over the whole map..

no, what I was saying is that if Frost and Ember gets special treatment, why don't the other elemental frames? What about non elemental frames? What special treatment do they get to make it more even between them all?

Certainly not all frames have an environmental hazard based on them, and I could see DE adding new ones just to make the game a little more interesting like poisoned gas areas (but not the entire map, cause that would just be nightmare mode) or bringing back void storms as magnetic damage.

You are blowing the issue out of proportion however. You're making this a balance issue when this is just a small change to the fact that each frame happens to use their element, and game hazards reflect that. These changes aren't going to change the game like nerfing one of these frames are, or giving them some sort of Huge advantage that will make everyone play only X frame because of the advantage it brings. These are small changes.

@RespectTheInternet

So you make frost immune to ice maps and ember immune to fire on the ground.

What about every single other frame in the game?

What do they get to balance it out?

And where does it end? Why wouldn't ember be immune to scorches flames? Or the fire spot left by napalms? Afterall, that's just fire so she should be immune to it by your reasoning.

And that just leaves the rest of the frames at a huge disadvantage with nothing going for them. It would just further distort and destroy any chance of balancing the frames if it was done that way.

If you actually read what I said before, this isn't meant to grant immunity to enemy attacks, only environmental hazards. So Napalm's and ignis would still work.

And again these aren't huge advantages. Your saying that everyone is gonna start picking Ember just because she can walk on fire hazards, or Frost because he isn't affected by Frost environment, which they won't. The idea that such a minor extra would "Destroy any chance of balancing" is laughable.

personally i feel the whole ice-halving shields thing to be a bit extreme compared to the laughable fire hazards. you can avoid the fire but the ice goes throughout the whole map. i feel like either it should be reduced to -15/25% shields or have it only effect certain rooms like the fire hazards (makes those particular rooms more dangerous to fight in but doesnt screw over the whole map..

But how are you going to get your artificial difficulty if it only occurs in certain rooms? That wouldn't be fun.

Unless your playing Valkyr, who has barely any shields in the first place.

as environmental random hazards we have fire+cold, we have no toxic hazard or anything else, for there to be innate resists there would have to be more varied random hazards, or possibly multiple ones at once mixed around here and there.

Edited by Methanoid

Instead of losing shields, touching the ice causes ypu to freeze up, like in the Orokin missions

as environmental random hazards we have fire+cold, we have no toxic hazard or anything else, for there to be innate resists there would have to be more varied random hazards, or possibly multiple ones at once mixed around here and there.

Certainly not all frames have an environmental hazard based on them, and I could see DE adding new ones just to make the game a little more interesting like poisoned gas areas (but not the entire map, cause that would just be nightmare mode) or bringing back void storms as magnetic damage.

@Xray nah, that's just for the orokin void and is unique to it.