The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Warframe A Really Pvp Game?

Mastikator2

Lol let's be real. PvP was going to happen, complaining or not. You're telling me you have wargods running around and these people don't want to test their strength against each other? Lol ok.

PvP can be fun, honorable battles and the whole ego thing is a load of ****. 

Yes.

Yes it is.

And here is why. Once you've acquired all the mods and built all the weapons and warframes and leveled them up and built your own dojo with all the rooms and researched all the things there is really nothing left to do. Nothing but leave or play in the conclaves and hone your skill.

So really, the PVE is just a build up for PVP.

The problem is that 99% of the development effort is spent on the part of the game that can be finished, while 1% is spent on the part that can be milked forever.

What are your thoughts?

Funny because I've built every weapon, frame, leveled them, built a dojo more or less by myself and a friend, with all the current rooms, reserched everything, and yet I've never touched Conclaive. Ever. Nor do I have any intention too.

You know why? Because I play the game for...wait for it....fun! I find enjoyment in playing the game, which is kinda the point of playing a game right?

Edited by DecapitatingJim

Did this game not start development as a PvP game anyway?  

Nope, it started as a sci-fi cooperative PvE game called darkSector. The pitch was rejected by the publishers and asked for a military-like shooter (since it was what was catching on at the time, games like Gears of War and Call of Duty on consoles). So DE went and made darkSector as it is known today as a story driven cover shooter and shelved their original pitch.

Once they decided to go indie and self-publish, they dusted off the original pitch, renamed it to Warframe and started working on it on their own. And here we are now.

How many points you can allocate is dictated by how many mastery levels you have. So the most anyone can put into a tree is 16 points, or, in four years, 30. I can find a clip of Steve explaining this if you don't believe me, but, you should.

I'll take your word on it; the dev streams happen at a time where I'm at work so I can't watch it.

Edited by Wiegraf

Not picking sides here, just probing for info. When and where has DE stated that Warframe will always be a PVE game? I'm reading tons of posts where people say "DE said it's a pve game" "pve -will- always be the focus" etc, source please?

If DE were in any way interested in expanding their playerbase they more than likely will add more depth to pvp in Warframe.

Conclave and balance is out of the window right now. Nonexistant. But that isn't to say that DE can't make a whole new system to bring in balanced pvp.

Separate mods for pvp, meaningful conclave ratings and so on there are plenty of ideas on the forum to make pvp an interesting part of Warframe and it shows that there is infact a small part of the game's population that wants pvp.

I for one would like it. Although I'm happy with the direction the game is going even without pvp.

Edited by Nimbat

Lol let's be real. PvP was going to happen, complaining or not. You're telling me you have wargods running around and these people don't want to test their strength against each other? Lol ok.

PvP can be fun, honorable battles and the whole ego thing is a load of ****. 

You put up the prime example of ego there.

Nope, it started as a sci-fi cooperative PvE game called darkSector. The pitch was rejected by the publishers and asked for a military-like shooter (since it was what was catching on at the time, games like Gears of War and Call of Duty on consoles). So DE went and made darkSector as it is known today as a story driven cover shooter and shelved their original pitch.

Once they decided to go indie and self-publish, they dusted off the original pitch, renamed it to Warframe and started working on it on their own. And here we are now.

I'll take your word on it; the dev streams happen at a time where I'm at work so I can't watch it.

If you look back far enough it was a PvP FPS MMO, where you fly around space assassinating assassins. That was Dark Sector before it was a coop game. It has a long history. DE is not "above" a PvP game, they just didn't focus on it (yet) for Warframe. They will though, regardless of what people say. It is, after all, real endgame.

PvP is the logical evolution to the game. I see this game with a PvE component to get your toys and PvP to play with the toys. The PvE aspect will never go away, and I see the PvP getting fleshed out and remaining an optional component to the game. 

The interface and customization would be outstanding for a PvP game I would think.

You couldn't be more wrong. There are quite a few games that never go PvP (or have it as an afterthought just as we do) or just develop more complex and difficult challenges to play with your toys (Custom maps akin to those in PoE or heroic dungeos/raids in MMOs). Not to mention, not a single MMO to date has managed to get the balance right between the PvE and PvP. The Warframe power curve is a mess atm, the last thing it needs is more crap to be added to it.

And no, Warframe was never intended to be a PvP game.

Just because OP has all content and has "only 3 options" doesn't mean the PvP is the logical solution.

I play WARFRAME in peace.

When I played Counterstrike on PC I would drive myself crazy. I absolutely hate losing at anything. CS has a very competitive player base.

My walls had holes, and my knuckles were bloody from playing that game.

The worst thing that happens to me when I play warframe? Maybe someone will tea bag me.

This game IS PvE. You can have your conclave, but leave it at that.... Or just hit the Log out button.

Not picking sides here, just probing for info. When and where has DE stated that Warframe will always be a PVE game? I'm reading tons of posts where people say "DE said it's a pve game" "pve -will- always be the focus" etc, source please?

They have never said it will always be PvE, but quite a few times they said they wanted to focus on PvE but do PvP eventually.

In this interview Steve explains it (control+F "pvp"): http://mmohuts.com/editorials/warframe-qa-with-steve-sinclair-warframe-creative-director

rybqGpH.png

Edited by VegetableBasket

If you look back far enough it was a PvP FPS MMO, where you fly around space assassinating assassins. That was Dark Sector before it was a coop game. It has a long history. DE is not "above" a PvP game, they just didn't focus on it (yet) for Warframe. They will though, regardless of what people say. It is, after all, real endgame.

Oh, there's no denying that there will be better, proper PvP down the line for Warframe; however, as DE stated, their focus is PvE for the moment.

I'm guessing that near the end of the beta phase will be when real work will be done on PvP, if not "post-launch".

Will the overall focus of the game shift from PvE to PvP though? Very unlikely. It's very doubtful that "PvE will be a gateway to PvP" but more that "PvE and PvP will be exclusive to each other" as in what you do in PvE doesn't affect PvP and what you do in PvP doesn't affect PvE.

Oh, there's no denying that there will be better, proper PvP down the line for Warframe; however, as DE stated, their focus is PvE for the moment.

I'm guessing that near the end of the beta phase will be when real work will be done on PvP, if not "post-launch".

Will the overall focus of the game shift from PvE to PvP though? Very unlikely. It's very doubtful that "PvE will be a gateway to PvP" but more that "PvE and PvP will be exclusive to each other" as in what you do in PvE doesn't affect PvP and what you do in PvP doesn't affect PvE.

Yeah, this is the most reasonable and accurate post in the thread, it is all anyone needs to have stated.

/thread

Edited by VegetableBasket

PvP is the logical evolution to the game. I see this game with a PvE component to get your toys and PvP to play with the toys. The PvE aspect will never go away, and I see the PvP getting fleshed out and remaining an optional component to the game. 

The interface and customization would be outstanding for a PvP game I would think.

You must be new here...

DE has stated multiple times that WF will likely never be PvP based and it has never been the intention to make it so.

I have no problem with PvP but the very nature of WF makes PvP extremely difficult to implement. The conclaves are broken and were introduced simply to keep the very vocal part of the playerbase begging for PvP satisfied. If DE decided to focus on PvP its very likely a huge chunk of the player base would leave. It would almost be a huge kick in the balls to the players that have supported this game from CBT/ just after CBT all the way up to now. If PvP is ever introduced in a big way it better be after the PvE element of the game can be even close to considered finished and as it is now WF still has a long way to go. 

I just hope DE doesn't ditch everything they have worked for up till now to satisfy the vocal minority simply because people complain endlessly till they get what they want. Its normally for that reason DE reverses some buffs/nerfs and changes they make. Because people complain and complain rather then adapting. Its normally the same type of people that are currently complaining about losing god-mode trinity.

Note: "PvP based" not "never be PvP

Edited by StinkyPygmy

And thats always the biggest concern when questions like this arise. I couldn't care less if PvP exists on the side, as long as it is not hampering PvE and PvE development.

the very nature of WF makes PvP extremely difficult to implement. The conclaves are broken and were introduced simply to keep the very vocal part of the playerbase begging for PvP satisfied.

rybqGpH.png

1. Conclave gameplay is pretty balanced, barring a couple mods and tactics, but everything has a counter.

2. PvP was always planned

3. Nothing about the nature of warframe makes PvP difficult to implement, it's already implemented and quite fun due to its fast pace and high level of loadout customization.

You couldn't be more wrong. There are quite a few games that never go PvP (or have it as an afterthought just as we do) or just develop more complex and difficult challenges to play with your toys (Custom maps akin to those in PoE or heroic dungeos/raids in MMOs). Not to mention, not a single MMO to date has managed to get the balance right between the PvE and PvP. The Warframe power curve is a mess atm, the last thing it needs is more crap to be added to it.

And no, Warframe was never intended to be a PvP game.

How can I not be more wrong? It is my opinion that the interface and game is perfect for PvP, as a fan of PvP games. 

How do you know what it is or is not intended to be? Do you work for this company? 

Your attempts of factual disposition do not make your position stronger.

What you fail to account for is that PvP is valuable to this game and company. PvP play doesnt require additional content. It only needs a few playgrounds to play in. When PvP is implemented in this game, I personally would never play PvE again, unless I wanted a new toy for PvP. Deny and fight it all you want, it will be in the game. It makes sense from a gameplay angle, for the growth and sustainability of the game, and for the development team. NO ONE is more demanding than PvE players. Just take a look at any sub-forum of this board. 

You must be new here...

DE has stated multiple times that WF will likely never be PvP based and it has never been the intention to make it so.

I have no problem with PvP but the very nature of WF makes PvP extremely difficult to implement. The conclaves are broken and were introduced simply to keep the very vocal part of the playerbase begging for PvP satisfied. If DE decided to focus on PvP its very likely a huge chunk of the player base would leave. It would almost be a huge kick in the balls to the players that have supported this game from CBT/ just after CBT all the way up to now. If PvP is ever introduced in a big way it better be after the PvE element of the game can be even close to considered finished and as it is now WF still has a long way to go. 

I just hope DE doesn't ditch everything they have worked for up till now to satisfy the vocal minority simply because people complain endlessly till they get what they want. Its normally for that reason DE reverses some buffs/nerfs and changes they make. Because people complain and complain rather then adapting. Its normally the same type of people that are currently complaining about losing god-mode trinity.

Note: "PvP based" not "never be PvP

New here... Thank you for your passive aggressive dig to attempt to make yourself seem knowledgeable and worthy. You are so much smarter and wiser than I.

I love how you feel that it can only be PvP OR PvE. 

As aforementioned, the neediness and demanding nature of PvE players never seems to end.

And thats always the biggest concern when questions like this arise. I couldn't care less if PvP exists on the side, as long as it is not hampering PvE and PvE development.

I agree. PvP is great, but lets not let it hamper the other half of WF.

rybqGpH.png

1. Conclave gameplay is pretty balanced, barring a couple mods and tactics, but everything has a counter.

2. PvP was always planned

3. Nothing about the nature of warframe makes PvP difficult to implement, it's already implemented and quite fun due to its fast pace and high level of loadout customization.

Conclave gameplay is balanced?

Until recently you had God-mode Trinity. Still have Rhinos capable of spamming iron skin. Perma-Invis Loki (which with the right energy colours you can barely even see the shimmer) and weapons that can one shot a frame with 1000+ shields and health.

The extreme balancing needsmakes PvP extremely difficult to implement.

Its never been the focus to make WF PvP based.

PvP eventually, But not the focus. We have it way earlier then we would have.

New here... Thank you for your passive aggressive dig to attempt to make yourself seem knowledgeable and worthy. You are so much smarter and wiser than I.

I love how you feel that it can only be PvP OR PvE. 

As aforementioned, the neediness and demanding nature of PvE players never seems to end.

I apologise for the passive aggressive dig. fair enough, it was unwarrented. I let my frustration at the consistent PvP vs PvE issue being brought up get the better of me.

However I never stated its one or the other, but one can only be effectively worked on at a time with the current resources DE appears to have Why take an end game feature and pool resources into it now when the game isnt even close to finished. The issue is here is that so many players have the impression that WF is nearly completed. Hence people consistently asking where their end game PvP is. 

Sorry, but no. I really love pvp games but warframe is a purely pve game. If the devs ever find a way to make the pvp experience enjoyable then I'm all for it, but in the meantime, I'll stick to pve things and grinding I enjoy.

On a side note, the only way to create a good pvp experience in this game would be having 3-4 default weapons with mods you can't change, so that leaves little room for getting the best gear you can, because in this game the best gear can rape lvl 100 npcs having 20k HPs, while players may have at most 1.5k HPs.