Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"metal" Items In The Game Need To Actually Have A Metallic Finish

OniDax

I've notice that several pieces of art, including  for Excalibur, the EOS armor, and most of the Corpus weapons, feature the aforestated with metallic finishes. However, their in-game counterparts do not feature such. I understand it's an engine limitation to be able to color over the metal shader fx, but is there any plan to change this so that these items can be properly represented in the game?

Just one example of what I'm talking about:

DECorpusHandCannon.png

Edited by AntoineFlemming

I'm seeing more and more people requesting this for more and more things. Here's hoping the devs show the same openness to the community that they've shown in the past and look at it.

Yes we are aware of how metals look ;).  Reflections are the keystone and would mean a black instead of light grey diffuse (assuming a gloss / spec workflow and not a metalness one), then there would be a lot more colour contribution from the world w/in the object, etc etc etc.  It's a very big system revamp and doesn't have a lot of manpower right at the moment (optimizations and general gameplay stuff will regularly boot it out of the queue).  That said the early wip stuff is very encouraging.  There is no ETA, but it is being worked on and ties into getting the ability to customize metalness that Draice talked about awhile ago.  

POW!
Edited by Seox

[cutoff]I understand it's an engine limitation to be able to color over the metal shader fx [cutoff]

Not true from what I saw.

Look at the Magnus' adornation around it, you can color it, AND it looks metallic.

Same applies for the blades of many Swords. Don't you think they look metallic?

Edited by CenSilver

Agreed. With the Detron it looks like plastic. We need more reflections and not just on weapons but everywhere.

What they need is the same env effect we have for Primes, but not OTT but instead a nice smooth finished effect, obviously depending on the weapon and such.

Small problem: Reflections on weapons would lead to a massive F.P.S. drops whenever most players went into a match using one or more of them. Because calculating real-time reflections on every single one of them would take a HUGE toll on computers with simpler/less up to date specs.

(I'm no Tech pro, so if someone here is, and knows any better, I would love to be corrected.)

You don't need proper reflections to have a metallic shiny effect on the weapons. The prime gold has a similar effect and doesn't lag... Not even that. There are weapons that have metal finishes on them.

Small problem: Reflections on weapons would lead to a massive F.P.S. drops whenever most players went into a match using one or more of them. Because calculating real-time reflections on every single one of them would take a HUGE toll on computers with simpler/less up to date specs.

(I'm no Tech pro, so if someone here is, and knows any better, I would love to be corrected.)

Which is why it surely can have a slider or be turned on/off.

I somehow doubt everything would have OTT reflections and it doesn't always have to be 'real time' reflections either.

Edited by Naith

Yes we are aware of how metals look ;).  Reflections are the keystone and would mean a black instead of light grey diffuse (assuming a gloss / spec workflow and not a metalness one), then there would be a lot more colour contribution from the world w/in the object, etc etc etc.  It's a very big system revamp and doesn't have a lot of manpower right at the moment (optimizations and general gameplay stuff will regularly boot it out of the queue).  That said the early wip stuff is very encouraging.  There is no ETA, but it is being worked on and ties into getting the ability to customize metalness that Draice talked about awhile ago.  

This makes me both very happy and very sad at the same time. Either way, thank you for the clear information. :3

kary always gives such great informative replies. 

Tbh though I would a giant workflow website showing what DE is "working on" or a road map for different areas.

We are always told that "different people work on different things so everything progresses" but then everything is always being "pushed back" by other projects. 

Thanks DE! :)

Thanks for the response :)

I somehow doubt everything would have OTT reflections and it doesn't always have to be 'real time' reflections either.

This.

Just look at how Skyrim metal shine works. They use something called "cube mapping" - Skyboxes edition (scroll down to the Skyboxes subcategory): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cube_mapping

This actually looks quite easy to do and many modders do it to great effects, without actually making the object reflect what's around you, and therefore saving A LOT of performance while looking great.

Here's a video for example, and look not only at the blade, but the wooden hilt and metal bottom cap as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THMXX_WpNo8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THMXX_WpNo8

If modders can do it, DE surely can. I doubt cube mapping is outside of Evolution Engine's limitations anyway.

Edited by Casardis

Event statues need a big graphics pass.. Gold doesn't look like any other gold in the game, silver sOoorta resembles what it should be, bronze well looks like mud. Been to many dojos, and seen the other statues.. Sadly they blend into the background most times.

Clans that have pushed hard to win in these events, deserve trophies befitting their efforts. Not spinning what-the-hell's-that?

But yes, many other items need their metallics updated/polished..

Tarn-X!!!

Just knowing it's on the cards (around the corner and down the block...) is enough. Thanks, DE_Kary :)

Hell, just knowing it's being worked on and will maybe show up for U18 or whatever is enough for me. Thanks, Kary!

Thanks Kary!!! Hooray!!! \o/