The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

De, Please Please Do Not Do Business With Perfect World (Mega/hyper/ultrathread)

wendiGhoul

China. Friend. Chinese government is all sorts of uptight.

Chinese government is probably requiring all games for the Chinese version of the Xbox One to have Chinese publishers.

Which is why PW (the Chinese company, not the NA division PWE) is interested in doing business with DE, so that PW can bring Warframe to Chinese Xbox Ones.

Getting a Chinese publisher is probably the only way for Warframe to reach Chinese Xbox Ones.

But would they really need to buy all the outstanding shares to do that?

If this happens, I am out. Like a lot of others here I have dumped 100s of dollars, and 100s of hours into this game. You will end up with a lot of your core backers that have been here with you since square 1, when this game was but a twinkle in DE's eye. 

PW is a horrid company, and I do not like any of their practices. 

Also, since China is communist, all PW profits are technically that of the PRC.

So those who continue to play will be funding the Much Glorious Communist Revolutionary Army Western Capitalist Empire Destruction Pran.

Long Live Revolution! Long live Robot-Mao!

I'm just going to drop this right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fisXRmdTR54

But seriously please don't do this DE. I'm not entirely sure how well off you are right now financially,  so it's a bit hard to see from here what's good for the business. However, I'm fairly certain this thread is a big indication of where your game and business model may end up if this merger is completed.

Everyone here really likes what you have been able to do with this game! I personally admire how you've always made an effort to continuously turn out new gameplay mechanics and content, while being very receptive to criticism, suggestions, and ideas. There is no other company I know of which has done as well as your staff has. From the looks of everyone's comments, it seems like doing a merger with PWE would only tie down the potential of DE and Warframe in the worst way possible.

I sincerely hope this message does not get drowned out in the current sea of voices, but please know this merger is a bad deal. This merger will only serve to hurt the company, it's products, and it's users.

depending on if they are just trying to spread to china or not, I wouldn't mind them giving some shares to make it more global, I just want to know how much it is & why.... that is all.

Here I thought that WF is already a global thing.

I guess that I'm actually living in the US right now, not some backwater Southeast Asian Nation.

So those who continue to play will be funding the Much Glorious Communist Revolutionary Army Western Capitalist Empire Destruction Pran.

ignorant murican spotted

Huh?

You do know that Chinese Communism is allowing private property?

But the traitors to our cause will continue to say that this isn't a bad thing...

https://www.change.org/petitions/digital-extremes-ltd-not-to-sellout-to-perfect-world-entertainment

Resist the sellouts. Keep fighting Tenno.

My Personal Experience with Perfect World Entertainment.

This is going to be a bit of a long read, so feel free to scroll past this post. No need to post a TL;DR since people seem to have put in a good explanation on how damaging of a company they can be.

Several years ago, I participated in a beta test for Perfect World, when I played it, it was a glitch-filled WoW clone that had a cash shop before being opened to the public. I learned from this that it was a sign of bad things to come when I first logged in.

In a mid-level area, I don't remember the name of the place as everything from the name to the location setting was bland and generic sounding, I managed to get myself stuck in a wall. Now in most beta tests for open worlds I have experienced, a GM would be able to pull you out of this situation with either a fixme or killing you so you could respawn elsewhere. When I contacted a GM and made the bug report, one did show up, but helping me was not on their mind. Upon the arrival, I was told to wait, and for what felt like a half hour, another GM showed up. They then both proceeded to make fun of me for getting stuck, as well as calling me a stupid American, all in broken English. It was then I decided to log off and never bother with a PWE game again, despite getting three more beta invites.

My ordeals with them would not come to an end, as they wanted to attack other MMOs I played. When Champion's Online beta was out before the one month of Gamestop's pre-order beta invites were active, I had already forgotten everything about PWE, I was enjoying a game that had plans for a cash shop, and when the game came to full release, the cash shop was opened and had a few decent things. I had already purchased a life time subscription and was set. After many months of playing, all good things had to come to an end when PWE had purchased the game. Now at the beginning, things did not seem too bad, yes content updates came in rather... Slowly... But it was still decent to play. It wasn't until more and more cash shop content was added that you could not get with a simple "Gold Membership" ($15 a month) could get you. Then came the introduction of "Vehicles" and lock boxes. Now some people may not realize this, but vehicles and mounts were actually in the game before PWE decided to make a thing about it, one being off the top of my head was the raptor mount you could get from the Viper dungeon on Monster Island. However, PWE made sure to have all the old items pulled from the drop table and removed from crafting tables. Then if you had purchased a vehicle, they also made sure to gut out this feature with the lock box system, making the vehicle useless until you pulled the parts that would make it useful (Which were made very rare among a cavalcade of garbage cash shop items). It is true that they honored the life time subscriptions that people had, but it was clear that they would not make any actual content updates besides cash shop heavy ones, and even managing to ruin events such as the Blood Moon event and more. Many areas were removed like the beginning two starting areas (Desert Conflict, Tundra Conflict, etc) and having you start in Millennium City, originally a mid-level area now poorly converted. They even managed to rip out the adventuring aspect by adding a clone of WoW's Dungeon Finder, except heavily unbalanced, allowing someone to just go through poorly written and made dungeons without ever having to leave the starting area. With that, the items/equipment system was overhauled to not be user friendly, forcing users to purchase "Catalysts" from the cash shop if they wanted a guarantee of upgrading an item. As of now, Champions Online only exists as a shell of the former promise it was.

So when it comes to Warframe, I hope DE does not sell anything to PWE. They do not even need to sell with such a strong community. The game's success is something incredible, being released on both PC and consoles, something that very few MMOs receive. If they were to sell to PWE, the changes would become unnoticeable for a short time, then the re-release of Founders and Prime Access packs would happen, content updates would come to a slow crawl, and more than likely players would be forced to buy keys to lockboxes to receive mods/warframe parts/blueprints/rare materials.

I hope this is something that never happens. PWE is the King Entertainment of Free to Play games

Edit: I forgot to mention that Champions Online had a "Revive" cash shop item added that when you die, you can revive on the spot with ful stars (Stars modified your stats and gave a bit of control, you'd have to kill mobs to build up your stats, but you were next to useless in dungeons without being 5 stars). I also fear that PWE would have the daily revives removed and put them behind a paywall, similar to Champion's

Edited by RaveRaptor

China. Friend. Chinese government is all sorts of uptight.

Chinese government is probably requiring all games for the Chinese version of the Xbox One to have Chinese publishers.

Which is why PW (the Chinese company, not the NA division PWE) is interested in doing business with DE, so that PW can bring Warframe to Chinese Xbox Ones.

Getting a Chinese publisher is probably the only way for Warframe to reach Chinese Xbox Ones.

I know of this in my work dealings in China.  Often if a foreign company wants to do business in China, especially in producing products for domestic sale, they need to partner up with a local company.  A sort of merger, where foreign technology, etc. would be invested to improve local business/factory.

I know this from working with Refrigerator and Oven companies in China.  (Yes that's what I do for a living.)  A better example of this is the auto industry in China.  Volkswagen doesn't really own the factories making Volkswagens for China.  It partnered with a Chinese auto manufacturer and shares manufacturing processes with the local manufacturer in exchange for the right to sell the product in China.  In this case both the foreign entity and the domestic entity benefit together.

There are already a large number of players in Asia for Warframe, I hope the PW deal is solely aimed at developing that potential for PS4s and Xbox Ones, rather than "sell out" as everyone is worrying about.  I really do.

=/

Edited by sushidubya

Haven't played in weeks...This is an interesting thing to come back to.

To everyone out there declaring the "death of Warframe" and saying you're leaving: Why not wait and see what happens? I know all this sounds horrible..But let's just wait and see.

This. And I'm sure if people didn't spam "no PWE" or "don't sell out or I'll stop playing", or something along the lines of that, we could have figured out DE and PW's intentions earlier. It would help the situation a lot if we didn't get 2 pages spammed for every comment read.

Not rly. they made the .Ltd change a while back, which makes many inclined to believe that the executives knew about this deal. figuring out intentions earlier and discovering what people are hiding are separated by a fine fine line. this thread started what, 4 hours ago? and this is the state. not stating our feelings on the matter can be detrimental to the outcome of this situation.

we spam "No PWe." because that is out objective; we have a voice, just like devs and execs, just like buyers and just like sellers. we're a part of this game we dont see ourselves being owned by such a company as PWe/PW.

thank you.

Our time together was short, Warframe.

But I loved you.

Even when your drops eluded me, even when the RNG stood in my way, I still loved you.

No other game gave me the chance to become a space ninja and cut degenerate clones in two while smashing the greedy milk out of the skulls of money-grabbing cybog zealots. I burned away the Infested. I fought Vor, Sargas, Stalker, the G3, Alad V and many more memorable foes. With the release of Breeding Grounds I had the chance to experience my first event, and I was so happy! With the new Frame on the horizon, everyone was so excited. We had the Kubrows, the player ships and all that coming. But now none of that matters anymore, and I feel sad.

I'll miss you, Warframe. It's time to go back to the cryopods, Tenno.