Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Ui Feedback From Ui/ux Designer: Visually Nicer, Slower To Use, More Clicks To Do The Same Task

KriLL3

Nope the exact opposite - it will not happen. This is not different - it is a completely new UI - that is in every aspect, exclusiv the optic, - inferior to the previous one.

I am the best example. The UI looks really cool and i really wanted to love it but even after playing x-hours yesterday and today i cannot get used to it. "used to it" doesnt even discribe it, i hate going back to the ship. i hate switching frames and weapons because of the navigating through this ever moving, side viewing, big buttons/pics showing, confusing(e.g.mod), xxx , UI. warframe is this kind of game which needs fast and accurate maneuviering instead of this clumsy thing of a UI.

The new UI is for a lot of players not a a little different UI which needs time to get used to, no, it is a game breaking element - which makes playing for a lot of players not the slightest fun.

Of course: there will be those who will "adept" and for whom their progress and friends are more important than this game breaker - but there are a lot of others who do not have a positiv outcome after this equation.

This is my biggest gripe,playing is still top notch,but thinking of going back to that cramped and filled with buttons ship makes me cringe,not to mention that annoying AI thing.

Nope the exact opposite - it will not happen. This is not different - it is a completely new UI - that is in every aspect, exclusiv the optic, - inferior to the previous one.

I am the best example. The UI looks really cool and i really wanted to love it but even after playing x-hours yesterday and today i cannot get used to it. "used to it" doesnt even discribe it, i hate going back to the ship. i hate switching frames and weapons because of the navigating through this ever moving, side viewing, big buttons/pics showing, confusing(e.g.mod), xxx , UI. warframe is this kind of game which needs fast and accurate maneuviering instead of this clumsy thing of a UI.

The new UI is for a lot of players not a a little different UI which needs time to get used to, no, it is a game breaking element - which makes playing for a lot of players not the slightest fun.

Of course: there will be those who will "adept" and for whom their progress and friends are more important than this game breaker - but there are a lot of others who do not have a positiv outcome after this equation. especially for new commers is und will be the UI a factor to leave the game immediatily. they are way more confused with the new UI than with the old one - and when the old one was the reason for this huge update (or the UI update) i cannot imaging what they would feel about the new one.

L2R.

I didn't say "you will learn to love it", I said "they're going to fix the darn thing, give it a bit".

I know I've been hammering this point since the update, but since images seem to get the point across better than words, I will borrow a couple of screenshots people have posted for a quick example.  Using some CS5 magic and a lot of patience from my partner, someone please explain to me how this;

a.jpg

What are all these gray orbs?  If this spins around, I have to play hunt the planet every time.

Is better than this;

b.jpg

At least here, I have a central reference point as well as unique sizes and labels to direct my attention.

Before you ask, this is how I see the game and life in general (well as close as I can get).  A few people have mentioned to me that similar issues with colour-blindness have been bought up previously and nothing was changed, so sadly I'm not holding much hope at this point.

That really sucks and i am really sorry for you :/

Hench i must say that the majority,I and the DE havnt thought about the issues with colourblindness. It must really be frustrating but it also gives hope for us, because this must be tweeked whatever we other "complainer" say.

I only started playing this game little over a week ago, so I've recently had to learn the old UI and now the new one.

After playing for about 8 hours with the new UI I've had to log out because of frustration. I absolutely agree with the OP.

Also, the old UI was easier to learn and a pleasure to deal with. 

huge +1 to the OP. I really wanted to like the new UI, but I absolutely hate it.

That much to the "new player experience", lol. Oh DE...

And he is not the only one.

The majority of the forumsuser are long time player, or more exactly, player who have played hundrets and hundrets of hours and even we have our difficulties using or adepting or getting used to the UI.

Then try to imagine how new players or players with less than 100 hours playtime would feel - who even had their issues with the old UI, who dont know every Mod, every corner of the game. They are lost so simple.

Everyone is complainig about the general chat. I can emphasize with the majority of them. In game there is not quest tracing menu - once lotus conversion is over you are standing in the middle of the ship and can hope to recognize what she has told.

e.g. "you are tenno. you deserve a kubrow by your side" - that helps a lot <3

New Player or inexperienced player (yes there are many who havnt played for years online games or games in general) will have more than a tough time to deal with the new Warframe. There might be a only a minority of old players who would choose to go after the update (has to do with friends, progress, nostalgy, etc.) but new players do not have these ties which will bound them to the game.

Edited by Atvir

ESC

Those who say "give it time" can stow it.

I don't hate the UI, it's just much less informative, and I miss being able to beat the clock in trying to swap out one weapon loadout for another. Now that's impossible.

I always believed that the UI should NOT be the program itself, but customizable and optional. If this new UI is here to stay, it should at least show more information, bring back clickable alerts, and let me see how far along an extractor is in its cycle. I miss having those pop ups or tooltips that gave me all the info I need. 

The UI definitely came out of the oven before it was fully cooked. 

/ESC

Edited by Trako

I had the same opinion/problem but after playing for a day everything feels natural.

The foundry still needs some fixes, including letting you know what you already own. Other than that I wish there was more of a "guideline" or a "way/path" with the nodes like we used to have.

lots of good points

very well said, sir, took the words out of my mouth (but i couldn't tell the things this precisely).

I got no motion sickness because of the moving menus, but i prefer things stay in the same place, so i can get used to it, and click fast on them. It is sort of a mini-game right now to equip a full loadout :-P

also, the animated menus have another huge downside: the time required to play the animations. It takes about 5x the amount of time to go through the menu (especially that a lot of things are moved to sub-points now)

i have the impression, that the UI has been developed for tablets, because it shows minimal information, and you have to expand everything to get the more. While this makes it look cool and modern, most people play games on 21"+ sized monitors, not on tablets, so as the OP already said, you could put all the menu points on the same screen, without hindering visibility

An option to go between the floaty (worse) UI and something like old one would be the best thing for DE to do. Sadly this is DE, and that'll never happen, so enjoy the change.

Hopefuly some degree of change/fixes happen to adress certain problems with the UI, but I don't see them changing it drastically, or really at all.

I HAVE TO SAY AND its all true from the op BUT HE FORGOT TO MENTION 1 ANNOYING THING ..... i dont rlly hat e since it has its own things :p but still i cant see how much imaxed my mods since the boobs of my mirage are in the way YES I MEAN IT iDE if oyu want to get boobs in menu then make g cups or smthing xDDDDD but yh havent taken a picture of it yet (soon will do ) but mirage her boobs are overlapping on the mods wich removes the white cubes on the sides of the mod cards so icant see wich level it is :p cant clich the mod either (also have this problem with the shoulder gear) 

Edited by Thomasvlie1

Hopefuly some degree of change/fixes happen to adress certain problems with the UI, but I don't see them changing it drastically, or really at all.

DE never changed any new feature drastically. That's a really big problem, cause all the shiny and fluffy new stuff they implement is

half-baked at best.

huge +1 to the OP. I really wanted to like the new UI, but I absolutely hate it.

This honestly sums things up for me.

Anything else that I could say in this thread would be redundant, as it has been expressed by multiple people on multiple pages.

I would honestly prefer an option to revert to the old UI.

And in one day, Ordis has made himself more annoying than the Lotus has been for the past year.

Thanks for the support people, I highlighted pretty much the same problems after the devstream showing the WIP version and the pictures from the UI team interview and got mostly "it's WIP can't criticize or give feedback to something that isn't finished" for my effort, and it seems sadly my fears were justified, yes it looks nicer than it did but the basic layouts are the same and have the same flaws, mainly no real oversight at a glance, no labels on the planets means you need to hover them in turn to find the one you want, spinning missions means you can't read all of them at the same time, you need to turn the planet 360, or mouse over all the missions one by one. Slower/more convoluted "flow" with the top menu removed from the UI means there is at least one more click needed, possibly more due to the nested nature of the new main menu (I honestly find it less annoying to walk around the ship) and the moving projected menus being hidden by your warframe or plain out of view is infuriating, I can't see all of the foundry UI at the same time, I can't see all of it even if I pan left and right because my big rhino shoulders block the UI even if I angle to the left as much as possible.

Nice to know this doesn't just annoy me who works with this on a daily basis and thus have an increased sensitivity to bad UI.

That really sucks and i am really sorry for you :/

Hench i must say that the majority,I and the DE havnt thought about the issues with colourblindness. It must really be frustrating but it also gives hope for us, because this must be tweeked whatever we other "complainer" say.

You generally don't until you have a close friend who is OR you leave reminders in your work space (Which DE and may other developers need to do). I have a friend who is both colorblind AND suffers from acute simulation sickness, so its a double hit. Arguably it should also be part of the QA process, to check for both.

Edited by Brasten

Thanks for the support people, I highlighted pretty much the same problems after the devstream showing the WIP version and the pictures from the UI team interview and got mostly "it's WIP can't criticize or give feedback to something that isn't finished" for my effort, and it seems sadly my fears were justified, yes it looks nicer than it did but the basic layouts are the same and have the same flaws, mainly no real oversight at a glance, no labels on the planets means you need to hover them in turn to find the one you want, spinning missions means you can't read all of them at the same time, you need to turn the planet 360, or mouse over all the missions one by one. Slower/more convoluted "flow" with the top menu removed from the UI means there is at least one more click needed, possibly more due to the nested nature of the new main menu (I honestly find it less annoying to walk around the ship) and the moving projected menus being hidden by your warframe or plain out of view is infuriating, I can't see all of the foundry UI at the same time, I can't see all of it even if I pan left and right because my big rhino shoulders block the UI even if I angle to the left as much as possible.

Nice to know this doesn't just annoy me who works with this on a daily basis and thus have an increased sensitivity to bad UI.

I feel you, it sucks being the one "ahead of your time" when ya got all the defenders around bashing ya. But now you get to point, laugh, and say "I told ya so." Too bad no one listens until its too late. But honestly DE was rushing to get it out, I think everyone was expecting bumpy roads... hence the mega thread for bugs. Hence why were still beta testers in the end I guess huh?

Yeah color blindness is sadly an often overlooked aspect of ergonomics, a lot of stuff is designed by people with color vision that makes sense to them due to the color context, easiest way to test for it I suppose is to set the game/monitor to grayscale if you don't happen to have one of each variety of color blindness on staff.

They really should just give the option to use the ship UI or the old UI. I've heard nothing but complaints since U14 came out

I doubt they will offer this since they just replaced it, but what I would love is a console within the ship that popped up a similar mouse-friendly, and static, UI for at least Arsenal, Mods, Foundy, keys etc. If I could have my ship AND functionality I would be in heaven.

The part that frustrates me about the new interface is the reliance on third person perspective.  I'd rather do missions with first person, but can tolerate it there, since the only issues that repeat with that occur at close range or while trying to fire from cover, namely that the targeting reticule being clear of an object does not necessarily mean the weapon is clear to fire there, and that sometimes the character is standing between the camera and what you want to see.

In the new interface, the character is almost always standing between the camera and the left side of whatever menu you are using.  I'm already frustrated enough by the new, smaller print being harder to read without adding my character blocking part of what I'm trying to read.