The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Whats The Best Performance Settings For Warframe?

Flaxlethal

Question

21 answers to this question

All depends on your system, if it's on the lower end for hardware the main things are obvious like putting the textures at a lower setting than others. And you can test it yourself, running something like Fraps and see where you get the most optimal performance and quality.

dynamic lighting is apparently needed for big master rank tests :/

like all things in warframe you have to know what you're up against to better customize.

also brightness for night time missions because that flashlight sucks

completely not a problem if you have awesome hardware though. just use default,

if you have crappy GPU, turn off every toggable option. I got 50fps this way.

Edited by MemeticRepo

The best performance settings are Max Ultra everything... if you have an up to date graphics cards. Otherwise, it is pretty dependant on what framerate you get with various options enabled.

I can't recall a mastery test that had much of any lighting at all, as they are usually blank fields or solid objects.

Can you please specify which test(s) require dynamic lighting? Does having dynamic lighting disabled prevent you from completing the test?

Presumably it makes it too difficult to see and thus they can't complete the objectives - if the player is as blind as Banshee, I don't see them succeeding.

Doesnt the stealth test require dynamic lighting or its all blacK?

from the wikia:

Stealth Test
This test requires players to make use of cover and enemy movements in order to assassinate targets without detection using melee only within three tries. Alerting the enemies will count as a try.
The player start in a grey or orange room equipped with only their melee weapon. Players make their way through three stages with increasing numbers of enemies and increasingly complexity patrol routes. Successful elimination of all enemies in a stage will unlock the next.

Tips
It is advised that "dynamic lighting" be turned ON for this mission, otherwise you will not be able to see anything.

colour correction and bloom on

from the wikia:

Bloom (and possibly color correction) screwed up my first few mastery tests. (Everything was completely white so I needed to turn those off.) So maybe you need to switch settings depending on the test. I found out that turning off bloom (and possibly color correction) allows you to actually see stuff. I might need to play with settings again, since on my mastery rank 11 test, I can barely make out the floating targets. The background is a bright grey, and the targets are a slightly different bright grey-ish-brown with the dull faded red hexagons on the surface being the only thing that sort of stands out.

Edited by CedarDpg

on my mastery rank 11 test, I can barely make out the floating targets. The background is a bright grey, and the targets are a slightly different bright grey-ish-brown with the dull faded red hexagons on the surface being the only thing that sort of stands out.

These sound like problems that we should be able to take care of on our end. It would be very helpful if someone could post screenshots of these issues or anything similar. I have been running through the mastery rank tests with a number of settings toggled but there is a chance I could be missing something.

Presumably it makes it too difficult to see and thus they can't complete the objectives - if the player is as blind as Banshee, I don't see them succeeding.

i actually did the stealth parcour mastery test with banshee while the whole environment (ground, walls, stairs etc.) and also the enemies - except for their eyes :o - were one black mass.

Edited by The3doM

These sound like problems that we should be able to take care of on our end. It would be very helpful if someone could post screenshots of these issues or anything similar. I have been running through the mastery rank tests with a number of settings toggled but there is a chance I could be missing something.

Some area even in pve maps or way to dark (Well my news screen is really bad and don't like much dark area...Oh wait we are in space and my screen dislike black color ...)

alright, here we go. we'll start with Video Options that are taxing, and not critical to the game not looking disgusting.

- Local Reflections, depending on who you ask, adds nothing positive to the looks of the game, and has a huge performance tax. lower end systems should always have this off. personally i think Local Reflections just makes everything look like it's made out of mirrors, it's disgusting.

- lower end GPU's should leave Runtime Tesselation off. not going to really affect the look of the game that much, so save the overhead if you are looking to increase performance.

- Depth of Field can be taxing for lower end GPU's, since the GPU needs to calculate what to blur and what to not on the fly.

- Motion Blur isn't super taxing, but it's also not necessary to the scene. you might get a noticable Performance increase turning it off, you might not.

- Particle Quality should make a moderate difference. see if turning it down makes a noticable increase.

- Texture Quality will make a large improvement on lower end GPU's, especially ones with <1GB of vRAM. high uses ~12-1300MB of vRAM at 1080p, so turning this down can make a noticable improvement if your GPU doesn't have enough of it's own Memory to store everything. shared System RAM is much slower than vRAM.

- tweak Geometry Quality down a bit on low end systems, it can help. the highest Geometry Quality setting is higher than it was at all times before that option was added, so that could have lowered performance a bit for some users.

- Color Correction should have 0 impact on performance. but flip it on and off and find out. personally, my Monitor and GPU have colors setup correctly to match a color chart, so Color Correction in every game has only thrown the colors of everything off :/

- Anti Aliasing.... just turn this off. all this is just a low quality version of the FXAA blur Filter, it doesn't actally de-Alias the game at all. just makes it blurry. performance impact should be nominal.

and things that will REALLY change how the game looks. 

- Dynamic Lighting. this drastically changes how the game looks. personally, i could never play with it off, the game looks disgusting to me with it. but the performance increase with it off is large, so if you really need the extra performance.

- Character Shadows will also significantly affect the game. no Shadows drawn from Entities like Players, maybe Enemies, Et Cetera. but the performance increase should be moderate.

- Shadow Quality, affects the quality of the Shadows for world Geometry and other things of the sort. this accounts for the majority of the Shadows in the game, and calculation Shadows accurately can be moderately performance expensive. but having no Shadows will also make a significant impact on visuals.

- Resolution. lowering the Resolution will make a big difference on performance. one of the biggest. but, if you're running Fullscreen, anything other than your native Resolution will look grainy. in a Window, lower Resolutions will make the Window smaller.

if you have an up to date graphics card

the biggest factor for visual settings is Texture Memory, actually. the most taxing that Warframe is on GPU's is using up a fairly large amount of vRAM. exclusing PhysX Turbulence Fields because they're not really related to the game.

other than that, Warframe really doesn't tax GPU's much. like, a GTX260 would run Warframe pretty well. a GTS450 would be basically... high end for Warframe. 

all that you really need is a decent amount of Horsepower and >1GB of vRAM and your GPU covers whatever Warframe can produce.

Warframe is far more CPU taxing than it is GPU.

unless! you have say, a 2160p Monitor. then GPU will get taxed a fair amount. quite a lot actually.

I have been running through the mastery rank tests

why can't we 'run through the mastery rank tests' yet? :(

i want to be able to replay Mastery Tests too.

Talking about performances...

Are we getting performance tweaks/improvements anytime soon? Because I've played for seven updates and since U14 WF starts to have lots of little freezes even on solo... :(

(I even wonder if the archwings thing will be playable with my potato pcbut I may be paranoid.)

Edited by unknow99

Talking about performances...

Are we getting performance tweaks/improvements anytime soon? Because I've played for seven updates and since U14 WF starts to have lots of little freezes even on solo... :(

(I even wonder if the archwings thing will be playable with my potato pcbut I may be paranoid.)

I got it after the supposed 'performance increase' hotfix. I have a business laptop that usually runs it at 30 FPS. Now, in multiplayer, I get an average of 8 FPS. Its killing me D:... Though it might be my crap internet

It would also be extremely helpful if we were able to re-complete mastery tests so these problems could be already reported and fixed.

Do the exams, or at least some of them suffer from environmental hazards? Specifically light fog? It was weird, but I retook the test today, and it wasn't like the past couple of times I took it. The background was almost black and the targets actually were decently visible. (The previous test attempts had the lack of visibility, which was yesterday and the day before that.) Or was there a hotfix between yesterday and today?

Edited by CedarDpg