Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best Head Hunter Primary?

Yazeth

Question

Hey guys. I've been trying to find a good head hunting primary weapon to counter my Brakk's close range nature. I'm thinking about Dread, Soma, and Latron Prime. Of course, I'm not gonna use Heavy Calibur at all. 

So, what do you guys think is the best head hunter weapon? It does not have to be the ones that I've selected.

16 answers to this question

I would personally recommend Sybaris or Vectis. They are both a bit less common due to their unconventional properties and look/feel amazing. With 4-5 forma they are more than capable of going into very high level content as well. 

Of the more common options, Dread for the biggest single numbers (I still prefer the Vectis because it functions like a bow but is hitscan so you can hit anyone, anywhere) or Soma because it is ridiculously versatile and has excellent mid-long range headshot DPS.

I would personally recommend Sybaris or Vectis. They are both a bit less common due to their unconventional properties and look/feel amazing. With 4-5 forma they are more than capable of going into very high level content as well. 

I like the Vectis. It feels really nice. I would have used the Sybaris before, but the burst fire mechanic... it just no longer makes it an actual lever action rifle...

WHY DE!!!!!!

Oh yeah, and once Primed Chamber gets rereleased, I'll start using the Vectis even more. :D 

But for now, it'll just be brought out for PvP or fun.

The main thing for head hunting is consistency. A lot of people will talk about Latron Prime and Vectis crits, but they don't get close enough to 100%. As you go across a room fighting enemies where you actually need that much damage to one shot them you will have a frustrating time as individual targets live and die by your dice rolls on multishot and crit. If you go for one of those, I would not put all my eggs in the crit basket. It's much faster and smoother to double tap every enemy then to be going back and forth or waiting between shots to see if it's going to take 1-3 on each and every target.

I love my Vectis but I don't crit build it. I just go for base damage. This is not adequate at higher levels however and I move on to Dread/Paris Prime for really high level stuff. If I've been using a different mouse at work I don't do so well, but after a day of playing with my mouse and a few missions I get into a good groove with the bows and I can just roll through with headshot after headshot one shotting everything and it makes me feel really awesome vs Vectis gambling.

Dread and Paris Prime are solid choices if you're pro with arrow trajectory. Their red crit is not going to be any more consistent than Latron Prime or Vectis yellows but it doesn't matter because base damage is so high you will one shot anything you headshot with a regular yellow crit. Last time I broke out Dread was vs the Pluto dark sector and it was one shotting specters with headshots just using rainbow.

Burston Prime is my go-to head popper and primary in my Anti-Grineer loadout, without Heavy Caliber. With Shred on it, it feels really good when head hunting. At higher levels it may take multiple hits, but the weapon is very controlable and very consistent. If you can make the shots the weapon won't hold you back.

I have not played with Sybaris without Heavy Caliber enough to say if it's a good head hunter or not, but it has better stats than Grinlok when you factor both shots with only one round less in the mag if you use Wildfire in your build. The lever action burst irked me as well at first, but now that I've used it with Split Chamber throwing four rounds per shot I have started to think of it as a lever action shotgun with no falloff.

Edited by VKhaun

I personally love Paris Prime, it is my absolute favorite.

Seeing those yellow and red numbers reach godly numbers.

One shotting everything in the head.

Makes me feel all powerful and stuff.

But if you're not handy with bows, go for Boltor Prime, it's the next best thing.

Yeah as stated I would add Sybaris and Vectis to your list, try em all out and see which you like the most. The Dread (or PPrime if you want) will give you the highest damage/hit, but some of the others may be better at taking out lesser units due to higher RoF.

The Boltor Prime has the accuracy, but the projectile flight speed works against it to some degree.

Here's a tip for head shots--and not just for projectile weapons: aim at head height on a group of enemies and traverse the weapon across them. You will get more than a few headshots. Works best with hitscan, auto trigger, or the Dera, but it does work. Obviously, the further from humanoid targets get, the less useful.  

When it comes to headshots, the best weapons are ones that are hitscan, have high accuracy (25+), and high crit rates and multipliers.

I don't like bows and I generally don't like to use semi-auto weapons (except for sniper rifles) sooo, I say Soma or Burston. 

Both of them have a good range and accuracy. Maybe just take a Burston Prime and wait for the Soma Prime that seems to be one of the next Prime weapons. 

Burston Prime huh? Not much of a head hunter imo, since it seems that it'll do better with Heavy Caliber since it won't really benefit from head shots a lot due to the lack of crits, and that Heavy Calibur will lower the accuracy quite a bit. I'll try it out for a bit and see for myself.

Burston Prime huh? Not much of a head hunter imo, since it seems that it'll do better with Heavy Caliber since it won't really benefit from head shots a lot due to the lack of crits, and that Heavy Calibur will lower the accuracy quite a bit. I'll try it out for a bit and see for myself.

Yeah, I'll be the first to admit that it doesn't really make a lot of sense on paper, but it feels really good in game. The gun is just super easy to headshot with over and over again and it does acceptable-if-not-spectacular damage. If you had to go to real high levels it might run out of steam but for anything on the star chart, any alert, any nightmare, definitely one of my favorites for head hunting.