Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Unfounded Criticisms Of Warframe- And Warframe In Relation To Progressive And Feminist Ideals

slumpyvanguard

So, just a few days ago, while scrolling through tumblr, a post with some pretty ridiculous claims as to Warframe's level of sexism caught my eye, and then made me really angry, and I responded to it: http://slumpykake.tumblr.com/post/95511781669/yanderesamantha-truestfeminist

Now, firstly- this post was a complete smackdown on my part, I am not humble in that regard. However, it made me think a little bit more about Warframe's values, our community and where the game lies on the spectrum of progressiveness and feminism.

Additionally, I am curious to know what the community thinks or notices about the game's values.

Also, this was forever ago, but I volunteer wrote an article for gaygamer on Warframe and Gender fluidity (also including a little game theory)

http://gaygamer.net/2014/03/gender-and-sex-fluidity-digital-extremes-warframes-unintentional-queer-commentary/

I'd really just love to get the ball rolling and see what you guys think.

I remember this. I posted Morgan Freeman, then Sam got angry, then I posted more Morgan Freeman.

It was fun.

EDIT: For clarity, me and Sam were essentially double-teaming the original post for the better part of an hour. Morgan Freeman and rage-filled Warframe fangirl rants make a powerful combination.

Edited by PsychedelicSnake

Ignore All Tumblr Feminists.

Actually, feminism isn't much of a problem. There are feminists on tumblr that are actually feminists. On the other hand, there are people that try to promote one gender or sex over another while also shunning whichever and whoever disagrees. For example, YandereSamantha is a feminist in that she wants equality for everyone, whereas the person that made the original post in the first link above seems to be stirring the flames to promote one gender or ideal over another. There's a term for it, but I forget plus I simply don't care.

It's a game, there are plenty of games out there that only have MALE characters. IMO some game developers just don't like creating females, that doesn't mean it's sexist though...

Since I am a woman, I enjoy playing female frames more than male, so I guess if they never had anything other than mag I would be kinda like "feh" but I would never make a big deal about it. It does make the game a bit more enjoyable having them.

Actually, feminism isn't much of a problem. There are feminists on tumblr that are actually feminists. On the other hand, there are people that try to promote one gender or sex over another while also shunning whichever and whoever disagrees. For example, YandereSamantha is a feminist in that she wants equality for everyone, whereas the person that made the original post in the first link above seems to be stirring the flames to promote one gender or ideal over another. There's a term for it, but I forget plus I simply don't care.

I like to think of it as, there are the real feminists, all for equality and such. These people are perfectly fine.

And then there are the "All men are evil and must die" feminists. These people are absurd and seem to make up most of the tumblr feminist community.

I like to think of it as, there are the real feminists, all for equality and such. These people are perfectly fine.

And then there are the "All men are evil and must die" feminists. These people are absurd and seem to make up most of the tumblr feminist community.

I think the term for the latter is misandrists or misogynists... either or. I really don't care about hostile and stupid people, so their terms are unknown to me.

After reading a bit more, I think you may have been trolled.

Like, y'know, Concerned Moms Against Anime.

Even so, considering how ridiculously gullible​ people are... someone had to set it straight. Don't want people getting the wrong idea just because someone may or may not have been trolling.

You know, you might be right- this might be trolling, but no one can slander the good name of Warframe while I'm around. It... did seem like it was written by a 14 year old.

That does make me alittle frustrated about how seriously I took the last part, where I "appreciated their effort" >.<

While it may seem that they people who just want men to die are the majority of tumblr, I can confirm that they are simply the ones who get the most attention outside of tumblr for how ridiculous they are. Case in point being this post.

While it may seem that they people who just want men to die are the majority of tumblr, I can confirm that they are simply the ones who get the most attention outside of tumblr for how ridiculous they are. Case in point being this post.

Loud people tend to be noticed more than calm and collected people, so that may explain a lot of it.

It's a game, there are plenty of games out there that only have MALE characters. IMO some game developers just don't like creating females, that doesn't mean it's sexist though...

Since I am a woman, I enjoy playing female frames more than male, so I guess if they never had anything other than mag I would be kinda like "feh" but I would never make a big deal about it. It does make the game a bit more enjoyable having them.

I'd actually argue that a team of game developers who inexplicably don't like to include or create female characters in their games does qualify them as sexist. Keep in mind that game developers and aspects of the game itself can be sexist and wrong while the game on the whole can still be fantastic.

That's why I included the word "progressive" in this post because I think a big part of including females in games is just about this being a step forward- because women need to be represented in games.

The fact that this is such an issue is what makes me think DE might be back peddling from a more post-human theme for the Tenno. The fact that people can't step outside their social norm and explore a different reality is confusing as that is, in large part, what stories are for. I can understand why woman might feel shirked as their are predominantly male protagonist in vertically all media. However, Warframe has the opportunity to go beyond that, but boring, small minded thinking is limiting the pissibities, and turning Warframe into another done spac opera, filled with all the same tropes.

I'd actually argue that a team of game developers who inexplicably don't like to include or create female characters in their games does qualify them as sexist. Keep in mind that game developers and aspects of the game itself can be sexist and wrong while the game on the whole can still be fantastic.

That's why I included the word "progressive" in this post because I think a big part of including females in games is just about this being a step forward- because women need to be represented in games.

whatever floats your boat dude.. lol

The fact that this is such an issue is what makes me think DE might be back peddling from a more post-human theme for the Tenno. The fact that people can't step outside their social norm and explore a different reality is confusing as that is, in large part, what stories are for. I can understand why woman might feel shirked as their are predominantly male protagonist in vertically all media. However, Warframe has the opportunity to go beyond that, but boring, small minded thinking is limiting the &!$$ibities, and turning Warframe into another done spac opera, filled with all the same tropes.

Huh?

´-´ even if it is a troll I could for SURE expect a feminist posting all that crap.

No looking it up before bashing... CHECK
"Misogyny" is the only word they seem to know... CHECK
Rant on /TUMBLR/... CHECK

Troll or not, do not check tumblr, srsly :I
Specially because of the self-entitled "we want equal rights but only care about OUR rights" lynch mob roaming around tumblr blogs.