Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon Skins Contest

[DE]Rebecca

Incoming Work in progress..

lSsvcw5.png

The top is yet to be done... once that's done though expect a whole different look on the vectis.

Edit:

oh and that squiggly thingy on the barrel on the right of the picture... 

yeah... just ignore that... still working on the final parts of the barrel.

All that's left:

- Top section

- Emissives (glowy bits)

- Baking pass for occlusion and shading(put it in the oven again and heat for 3 mins) 

- Make it look less 'clean'

- Simply reassemble as submission PSD.

Yessssss, DE should hire you to make all their skins

*grabby fingers*

I have to say there are some pretty neat texture works around here. I was working on a weapon remodel until I realized I can't model them for this contest...Oh well guess that file will sit in my computer for now until they'll decide they want models.

In the mean time, great work is going around here.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I'm a total noob at this and I have a few questions:

-In Blender, how do you add the .png's to the render? I just opened the .blender file and it seems like the Diffuse and Specular files are there by default, but I have no idea how to add in the gloss/tint/emissive layers 

-How do you render it so that the energy also shows?

-How do you specify the colors used in the render of the skin outside of just adding absolute color in the .png?

Edited by Vallerian

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I'm a total noob at this and I have a few questions:

-In Blender, how do you add the .png's to the render? I just opened the .blender file and it seems like the Diffuse and Specular files are there by default, but I have no idea how to add in the gloss/tint/emissive layers 

-How do you render it so that the energy also shows?

-How do you specify the colors used in the render of the skin outside of just adding absolute color in the .png?

I would like to know this aswell

I would like to know this aswell

I don't know the blender-specific answers, but the tint-masks can be tested by (in photoshop) setting the tintmask folders to Overlay, then setting the layers themselves to be colored with a layer effect. Remember to disable the black layers for this. Just save the result out and use it as your diffuse.

Edit: Here is sort of how the layer panel should look with the tint-mask in use:

353.png

Edited by egregiousRac

I don't know the blender-specific answers, but the tint-masks can be tested by (in photoshop) setting the tintmask folders to Overlay, then setting the layers themselves to be colored with a layer effect. Remember to disable the black layers for this. Just save the result out and use it as your diffuse.

Edit: Here is sort of how the layer panel should look with the tint-mask in use:

353.png

Thank you! :D

You can add an emission shader with blender as a separate shader map.

How to add an emmision map in blender

Right now you look at the material in use by the vectis (example)

You'll see it says simply 'gloss bsdf' (or similar)

make a note of the sub settings:

- Color (diffuse)

- Roughness (specular)

- Normal (normal bump map)

Then change that gloss bsdf in the shader dropdown to 'Add shader'

it then resets the current shader

Provided you took note of the previous settings you can re enter these again.

and adds a new shader dropdown for an additional shader

you can select emission and work from there (setting an image texture for the 'color')

This is a complete pain in the neck for me though as I still can't figure out how to add a gloss (specular level) map into blender.

RAAAGGGGGEEEEE!!!!!

There is some hubbub on how to add a gloss map, by using 'hardness' a property associated with specular implementations in blender.

Setting it to multiply...or something. But I'm still experimenting.

Edit: Just figured it out going to do a tutorial in a moment.

Edit 2: False alarm it had no effect on the render. Sorry guys.

Edited by NetSlayer

Very cool contest!

Not one I'm up to spec to participate in, but I love this sort of engagement with aspiring designers.

Looks like I need to start looking at Blender for the next time this comes around, heh!

Psst ... next time?  Show some love to the Ignis (its model is a modified Grakata!) and Alert gear (Dark Sword/Dagger, Heat Sword/Dagger, Ceramic Dagger).  ;D

You can add an emission shader with blender as a separate shader map.

How to add an emmision map in blender

Right now you look at the material in use by the vectis (example)

You'll see it says simply 'gloss bsdf' (or similar)

make a note of the sub settings:

- Color (diffuse)

- Roughness (specular)

- Normal (normal bump map)

Then change that gloss bsdf in the shader dropdown to 'Add shader'

it then resets the current shader

Provided you took note of the previous settings you can re enter these again.

and adds a new shader dropdown for an additional shader

you can select emission and work from there (setting an image texture for the 'color')

This is a complete pain in the neck for me though as I still can't figure out how to add a gloss (specular level) map into blender.

RAAAGGGGGEEEEE!!!!!

There is some hubbub on how to add a gloss map, by using 'hardness' a property associated with specular implementations in blender.

Setting it to multiply...or something. But I'm still experimenting.

Edit: Just figured it out going to do a tutorial in a moment.

Edit 2: False alarm it had no effect on the render. Sorry guys.

if you look back  or search my name, i posted a screenshot of the shader build i used in blender.

well... after some time on blender i figured out how to add emissive and gloss to the material, when you are in the node editor there's an add button, then you go on shader and then emissive, you need to add an shader mix node and a diffusion node too to make it right, you can play with the nodes to figure out how it works, but is not so hard

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

previous renders of the skin, my new post is here : https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/304881-weapon-skins-contest/?p=3533803

zgAEwe4.png

Edited by OctaviusProwerCoyote

well... after some time on blender i figured out how to add emissive and gloss to the material, when you are in the node editor there's an add button, then you go on shader and then emissive, you need to add an shader mix node and a diffusion node too to make it right, you can play with the nodes to figure out how it works, but is not so hard

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here is my entry

Lotus Akmagnus

zgAEwe4.png

every color is tintable

My opinion but I think the specular map (or at least the lighting in that scene) makes it look a bit too plasticy and gooey (especially barrel and darker colors, like the blue and purple)

Other than that cool design :D

OK. Here we go...

Skin for AkMagnus

AKMAGNUS_zpsb8d261b8.png

p.s. I'm not really good at rendering and got used to marmoset, but argh! It gives such a gloss or gives no gloss at all...*sighs*

p.p.s. with tiny values (less than 0.1 and 0.01) of gloss and specular

screenshot000_zpse63b0270.png

Attention! The newer version is here https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/304881-weapon-skins-contest/?p=3528602

Edited by Lucha

My opinion but I think the specular map (or at least the lighting in that scene) makes it look a bit too plasticy and gooey (especially barrel and darker colors, like the blue and purple)

Other than that cool design :D

it was the best render i could get using blender D:... i dont have any idea how to put the gloss and the specular together on it DX... but when i use 3do(a plug-in for photoshop cs3 and above) using all the layers on their respective area i get this

yU7Ve2C.png

JnF185u.png

HYP2kMQ.png

but it dont have a camera to get in the same position as it should be... 

Edited by OctaviusProwerCoyote

it was the best render i could get using blender D:... i dont have any idea how to put the gloss and the specular together on it DX... but when i use 3do(a plug-in for photoshop cs3 and above) using all the layers on their respective area i get this

but it dont have a camera to get in the same position as it should be... 

That looks far better :)

The gold and everything looks metallic as it should, nice job :D