Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Any Real Girls Out There Playing Warframe?

SkarletK.Prime

I don't care how low the percentage is.  Like racism, it's wrong and it needs to be snuffed out entirely.  Sorry I offended you because I didn't use a #notallmalegamers hashtag.

/endrant

These things wont ever disappear entirely, they just put on new masks like they always have

The best we can do is to minimize the damage and try and keep the vocal minority to exactly that. These are things that havent been snuffed out in thousands of years and arent for thousands more unfortunately. That doesnt make it necessarily rampant and/or overly prevalent.

Read through this thread a bit and I had to shake my head.

What's with the hostility/trolling? I'm not saying everyone did it, but geez.

She just asked a simple question and was immediately met with jokes and disdain. I'm pretty disappointed with my own gender right now.

Well, maybe they didn't read the title, the main question was:

Any girls out there playing Warframe?

I suppose some people though it was a joke or something similar, just my opinion.

Well, maybe they didn't read the title, the main question was:

Any girls out there playing Warframe?

I suppose some people though it was a joke or something similar, just my opinion.

it was also posted in general....probably the worst place to do so.

She just asked a simple question and was immediately met with jokes and disdain. I'm pretty disappointed with my own gender right now.

Any topic such as this garners attention from the players. Attention is two-sided, though, and a lot of the attention can be bad.

You should just try to be kind to counter-act that bad attention, like I do. Be the other side of the coin.

These things wont ever disappear entirely, they just put on new masks like they always have

The best we can do is to minimize the damage and try and keep the vocal minority to exactly that. These are things that havent been snuffed out in thousands of years and arent for thousands more unfortunately. That doesnt make it necessarily rampant and/or overly prevalent.

When devs of games get disheartened and publicly express disappointment in the industry, to me that is a signal that it's a problem that can no longer be swept under the rug.  I've been playing MMOs since 1995, and I know a few devs personally.

Thankfully DE doesn't seem to have this problem, and the people I've met in game have been awesome!  This is one of the reasons I decided to be vocal in this community instead of staying an incognito older female gamer.  :)

I don't care how low the percentage is.

Sorry I offended you because I didn't use a #notallmalegamers hashtag.

But don't you see how treating all members, or the majority, or even sections of a certain gender the same is just as bad as other people doing the exact same thing, but using different words?

Equality means equality. Saying that Mysoginy is prevalent is just as bad as saying that 'most girl gamers are attention seekers.'

Neither are true, and both are hurtful.

But don't you see how treating all members, or the majority, or even sections of a certain gender the same is just as bad as other people doing the exact same thing, but using different words?

Equality means equality. Saying that Mysoginy is prevalent is just as bad as saying that 'most girl gamers are attention seekers.'

I'm sorry, then, because I misunderstood your post.  I thought you were gaslighting me.

All I was pointing out was that it is a problem in the industry that needs to be solved.  :)

I'm sorry, then, because I misunderstood your post.  I thought you were gaslighting me.

All I was pointing out was that it is a problem in the industry that needs to be solved.  :)

the industry has tons of problems

like people getting hired on at EA, busting @$$ on a game for 1/2 a decade, then getting tossed out like yesterdays garbage because they dont want to have to pay them and wont just move them to another project. Sad part is that is the normal, devs get treated like S#&$ in the industry regardless of gender. Theyre disposable tools, get thrown out and fresh ones bought when they need.

When i was in school for Software Design/Development with an emphasis on Video games, firs thing one of my teachers told us was that if you want to get into the industry be ready to go from job to job.

Edited by Echoa

The "girl gamer" translating to "girl gaming for attention" phenomena IS misogynistic.  Stating that misogyny is still an issue shouldn't be hurtful.

I only stated that there's the possibility OP could be a guy irl because it can be easy to pretend. There is without a doubt a female playerbase, but i can't see ssearching for them coming out well. Then again i don't ask so my friends list could be 50% girls without me knowing. Just enjoy the ride is probably all i can say at this point

I think that girls that play games are in a sort of catch-22 scenario.

They either let everyone know that they are female and then proceed to bask in the sunrays of nerd workship, but they aren't playing games for fun, they play it for attention.

The other girls are the quiet ones, who don't want to disclose their gender if they don't have to because of all the attention/harassment that comes with it. These girls are actual "gamers" and are cool.

One last thing that i'll mention is that people use games to escape RL sometimes, in this case maybe some girls just want to take a break from the female interaction that they have in RL, thats just my thoughts on why you don't "find" girls online.

Well for start you can be an attention @#&*( and a real gamer who plays games for fun. It's not mutually exclusive. The fact that they like the attention doesn't automatically mean there only doing it for attention. You also get it when when you get new  girls into gaming who are just really chatty, excitable, want to know about everyone and their lives outside the game and find other girls because sometimes it's nice to find people of your demographic. It makes you feel less like an outsider, especially if your considered a minority group in this and are new to it. This is of course before the "be my GF", kitchen "jokes" and creepy sexual S#&$ makes them more wary about it. Although that really isn't that bad in most on-line games now. Most people are fine and you can block the few weirdos. It's a shame the reputation is still around because it stops girls from picking up on-line games, epically shooters in the first place. It the reason why I use to lie and pretend I had no mic if I was playing with anyone other than my close real life friends. 

The fact they you aren't an "actual gamer" unless you hide you gender (no feminine names, no mic, be careful talking about your life with clanmates) is bogus. Maybe we are just sick having to hide it. If you don't hide your gender you're "faker", if you do you don't exists and "girls don't play games/ only play mobile games" is used to justify all sorts of S#&$ as well as just being annoying as hell. Yes the girls (or guys) announcing their female all the time are really annoying but they are pretty rare and gender can come up subtly in a lot ways. 

Edited by DementedSheep525

Any topic such as this garners attention from the players. Attention is two-sided, though, and a lot of the attention can be bad.

You should just try to be kind to counter-act that bad attention, like I do. Be the other side of the coin.

Agreed.

female gamers are not even that rare

This is actually true. Girl gamers make up a huge percentage now: around 49%. Let me see if I can find the source...

edit: found it.

http://www.theesa.com/facts/gameplayer.asp

This page just basically summarizes the pdf link at the bottom, which has a ton of info. This is the ESA we're talking about, and there are quite a few reports popping up with the same or near the same percentage. So that whole myth about no girls on the internet is...definitely a myth at this point.

Edited by SoulEchelon

Agreed.

This is actually true. Girl gamers make up a huge percentage now: around 49%. Let me see if I can find the source...

Ive even said the "theres no girls on the internet" thing before, even recently but its something that has a dual meaning.

When I say there arent any girls on the internet, it has nothing to do with a given persons ACTUAL gender. What it means is that regardless of the fact of you being male or female IRL, on the internet you forgo your gender and simply become an image or text, just another person with gender really not mattering. When someone makes it a point to tell me their gender ill usually ask why? Thats because as far as Im concerned it has literally 0 relevance. "There are no girls on the internet" means that their are no genders, and the only reason to state it is to get specific treatment in accordance with w.e gender you claim.

Ive even said the "theres no girls on the internet" thing before, even recently but its something that has a dual meaning.

When I say there arent any girls on the internet, it has nothing to do with a given persons ACTUAL gender. What it means is that regardless of the fact of you being male or female IRL, on the internet you forgo your gender and simply become an image or text, just another person with gender really not mattering. When someone makes it a point to tell me their gender ill usually ask why? Thats because as far as Im concerned it has literally 0 relevance. "There are no girls on the internet" means that their are no genders, and the only reason to state it is to get specific treatment in accordance with w.e gender you claim.

Understandable. I wasn't targeting you in my post however.