Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How About A Cover System? Like Taking Cover Behind A Crate Or Something

Oakencrown

Taking cover in Warframe:

1) Find crate

2) Press the crouch key

You've successfully taken cover.

Joking aside, I'm with the majority in saying that a cover system wouldn't really fit in a game like Warframe, where you're encouraged to stay on the move rather than get pelted by cover bypassing Napalm explosives. Plus in my experience, unless it's handled really well, sticky cover tends to be more of a hindrance than an aid in most shooters, just imagine how it work play out in this game when the unforgiving spawn system decides to throw  8 heavy units behind you and your warframe simply refuses to leave his cozy little spot.

That and as my aforementioned joke points out, manually taking cover isn't all that hard to figure out, why do we need the game to hold our hand and do it for us?

i don't understand why don't support the idea by saying 'you don't need it.' that's not the point and plus we do need it, not too much maybe but cover could be really useful, it's not Just about 'need' entirely, it'll also add another beauty to the Warframe, i myself jump over rockets, it looks pretty good yay! but you could stay behind a crate like grineers do, do you actually think it's not necessery? maybe it's not... but having a cover could be huge asset! we are on the battleground, do you actually think that you look cool fighting face an army of grineers? as i've said it would be really good. I know the game is not that hard i just don't get it :D 'we don't need it' hah... we don't need the syandanas either, but every Tenno has at least one. 

i don't understand why don't support the idea by saying 'you don't need it.' 

It's not that "we" don't need it. It conflicts with the very core of the game. It's a fast-paced shooter, not a cover shooter.

Also, I can already see cover-players whining about how their teammates can't play tactically and are just killing everything instead hiding behind crates.

@Khazzadum
Biggest problem with cover is how do you balance it?

In any cover heavy game you die within seconds of having your head out of cover.
And the reason for that is that being able to quickly pop up, shoot enemies, and then duck back down before they can shoot back means that the vast majority of bullets will be unable to hit you.
That means that the bullets have to hit like a ton of bricks at all levels of gameplay to even stand a chance of killing the hero.

Now, how would you be able to run and jump and wall run and stuff when enemies can kill you that fast?
And what about melee combat?

Because either you balance around the people that are using cover, and therefore make the game near impossible to not use cover.
OR you balance around not using cover and the people that are using cover are practically invincible.

Either that or you give the enemies so many ways to flush you out of cover or ignore it that cover litterally serves no purpose other than to disrupt movements.
Because good luck running, jumping and vaulting when all your tenno wants to do is cuddle a box.

i don't understand why don't support the idea by saying 'you don't need it.' that's not the point and plus we do need it, not too much maybe but cover could be really useful, it's not Just about 'need' entirely, it'll also add another beauty to the Warframe, i myself jump over rockets, it looks pretty good yay! but you could stay behind a crate like grineers do, do you actually think it's not necessery? maybe it's not... but having a cover could be huge asset! we are on the battleground, do you actually think that you look cool fighting face an army of grineers? as i've said it would be really good. I know the game is not that hard i just don't get it :D 'we don't need it' hah... we don't need the syandanas either, but every Tenno has at least one. 

It does not matter how many times you say "we need a cover system". Repeating something that is wrong over and over does not make it right. Adding examples and comparing cosmetic gear to a global mechanic that effects the entire game of Warframe just shows that have no idea.

"Video games with cover systems tend to encourage players to avoid direct confrontation with enemies, but rather tactically maneuver to eliminate them"

I think that "direct confrontation" is pretty much the core of this game. No one here wants to hide behind crates thank you very much.

I've never seen a Cover mechanic that I liked.

It's always a Sticky Cover sort of thing.  You press something to adhere to a Cover object, or just get close enough to it to automatically engage in cover, then you have to deliberately Detach from the Cover object by another input, another button press or by ripping away from it with movement controls.

There's just nothing smooth about it.

On PC, you can fluidly change which shoulder you look over; that's all the Cover Mechanic anyone needs - stand behind something and peek around until you have a shot.

Besides that, cover mechanics are cheap Jack-in-the-Box trash.  What's challenging about seeing what's going on while never having to expose yourself to see, then pre-aligning your shots so you can pop out for a split second, light someone up, then go back into cover with utterly minimized exposure time?

It's terrible gameplay.  It's also a terrible fit for a game with shielded combat armor.

"Video games with cover systems tend to encourage players to avoid direct confrontation with enemies, but rather tactically maneuver to eliminate them"

After reading this, it does remind of one positive aspect of a cover system that could work. I would be okay with incorporating a cover system for the sake of stealth, such as hiding behind boxes, inside grates, etc. It worked in games like the Batman Arkham games and I will admit that for a "ninja" game there is a surprising lack of opportunity to actually utilize any stealth tactics.

So if DE ever decides to put a stronger emphasis on stealth gameplay, then I do support them implementing prompted hiding places for the sake of staying hidden. Still a no on a cover system for active combat though.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

Let's be honest, when do we ever roll?

I use roll all the time...

I dont mind having the option to  take cover, no blind firing though... tenno dont do that at lease from what i imagine

Edited by kaz3n

You guys forgot one thing: Enemies' grenades.

In this game, grenades are among the last things you could notice during a frantic firefight, and they explode in less than 1 sec after they land. The only time I managed to fully dodge damage and blast proc from a grenade was by using Ash's Teleport. That kind of grenade would harm you a lot with a sticky cover system.

So yeah, with the way it is right now I think mobility trumps covers.

It does not matter how many times you say "we need a cover system". Repeating something that is wrong over and over does not make it right. Adding examples and comparing cosmetic gear to a global mechanic that effects the entire game of Warframe just shows that have no idea.

I think that "direct confrontation" is pretty much the core of this game. No one here wants to hide behind crates thank you very much.

i.. didn't say 'we need it' over and over again... i .. don't know where did you get that idea try to read properly first buddy, i don't even understand what is this hate about :D ..... tough OK i understand, it was just an idea and i wanted to learn what other players would think. Thanks for replying people ^^ i understand it would be a bad idea to have a cover system. i taught it could work as its just there when we have to take cover for somethin, but i guess it does conflict with the game's main idea. i do use all the movements the game can provide, aside from wall-running, jumping all over, a cover system looked cool in my mind. Thank you all.