Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does Anyone Even Use Stance Combos, Or Do You Just Spam E When Large Waves Arrive?

Demo102

The combos that are naturally easier to execute (i.e. Holding Block and attacking) are sometimes used in my playstyle.

But yes, mostly its simply one or two hits of the main Spam-E combo and then everything dies.

I see the combos working very well against higher levelled enemies, although some like Cleaving Whirlwind are VEEERY useful. You just have to find which ones more useful for you.

And in another way, because stances only add side-combos, and don't add anything special to the air/wall/slide/finisher attacks, I simply tend to use the main E combo a lot more.

Macrokeyed them into my mouse. Problem solved. :l

(But really, they're too annoying to pull off to be worth it in most cases. Use them to look fancy in front of newbs, but experienced level 150 enemies will just shoot you in the face and be unamused. :l    )

They would need to give some of the long combos an additional effect for pulling them off (aoe stun, knockback) but I don't think they  would be used in T4 runs x)

Edited by Demo102

Of course I use the combos xD!!!!!

The combos are literally the most important part of stances and each combo does something special.

Ex:

Iron Phoenix's second combo:

• The third attack on Taking Flight is an overhead slash which has a high chance of landing a headshot, dealing more damage. The 3rd and 4th attacks of Taking Flight also deals 100% bonus damage.
  • The final finishing slash of Taking Flight is an AoE attack that can deal damage to a wide area, capable of knocking back and defeating enemies within a few meters away.
    • Weapons that deal innate Elemental damage will have a 100% chance to proc their respective Status Effects on enemies caught within the AoE attack, replacing the knockback effect.
  • Taking Flight can also be executed by moving backwards while attacking. This makes it easier to execute the combo with high attack speeds.

[EDIT]

For those doing the combos that involve a pause! Fun Tip: just press E slowly and/or use berserker and fury.

Edited by Shizzuie

Pause combos are a problem if you're using a slow weapon, because combos in general are a problem for slow weapons, because most only start branching after the third attack.  You either kill weak enemies before any meaningful combo begins, or against tougher enemies it takes so long to get a combo off that you're better of not entering melee range.  Either way you're better off just spamming E or shooting them.

Movement/RMB/hold/combos that begin after the first or second hit are much easier, and everything is easier on a fast weapon.  AOE/knockdown combos are always useful.  Gemini Cross is a good example of a stance where each combo actually has a different use with a mix between damage, mobility, and utility, but a lot of this is also because it doesn't have have a pause combo and Kronen's base attack speed is 1.1.

Basically combos as a whole aren't a bad idea but:

1.  Weapons are too slow.

2.  Pause combos slow you down further.

3.  Combos take too long to branch.

All of which complicate each other.  And special mention:

4.  Combos typically don't do anything different.

Edited by FrackingBiscuit

Cleaving Whirlwind's pause combo is endless fun — the Galatine lives on~

I also get a lot of mileage out of the pause combo for Brutal Tide (the break-dancing sparring stance) 'cause it does some extra knockdown, but with fury and berserker it's barely a 'pause' at all. :P

Other than that though, I gotta say I mostly just mix the combos in for fun rather than because they make me any more effective.

The visual feedback for combos is just Bad

I pmed Draice about it.

it's being worked on  but U15 is top priority.

Anyone playing PSO2 will understand what i'm talking about . Just attacks.

Allow you to chain combos easier with better timing

Pause combos are a problem if you're using a slow weapon, because combos in general are a problem for slow weapons, because most only start branching after the third attack.  You either kill weak enemies before any meaningful combo begins, or against tougher enemies it takes so long to get a combo off that you're better of not entering melee range.  Either way you're better off just spamming E or shooting them.

Movement/RMB/hold/combos that begin after the first or second hit are much easier, and everything is easier on a fast weapon.  AOE/knockdown combos are always useful.  Gemini Cross is a good example of a stance where each combo actually has a different use with a mix between damage, mobility, and utility, but a lot of this is also because it doesn't have have a pause combo and Kronen's base attack speed is 1.1.

Basically combos as a whole aren't a bad idea but:

1.  Weapons are too slow.

2.  Pause combos slow you down further.

3.  Combos take too long to branch.

All of which complicate each other.  And special mention:

4.  Combos typically don't do anything different.

What? Each combo of each stances literally does something different and if you read the wiki then you can see "The best way to activate combos"

What? Each combo of each stances literally does something different and if you read the wiki then you can see "The best way to activate combos"

Each combo looks different.  A good number of them are just different animations that don't accomplish any task differently.  The only thing they do is look cool.  The worst offenders are stances where one stance just ends up killing enemies faster; at that point even looking cool doesn't save a combo.  It's all dead weight.

Of course I use the combos xD!!!!!

The combos are literally the most important part of stances and each combo does something special.

Ex:

Iron Phoenix's second combo:

• The third attack on Taking Flight is an overhead slash which has a high chance of landing a headshot, dealing more damage. The 3rd and 4th attacks of Taking Flight also deals 100% bonus damage.
  • The final finishing slash of Taking Flight is an AoE attack that can deal damage to a wide area, capable of knocking back and defeating enemies within a few meters away.
    • Weapons that deal innate Elemental damage will have a 100% chance to proc their respective Status Effects on enemies caught within the AoE attack, replacing the knockback effect.
  • Taking Flight can also be executed by moving backwards while attacking. This makes it easier to execute the combo with high attack speeds.

[EDIT]

For those doing the combos that involve a pause! Fun Tip: just press E slowly and/or use berserker and fury.

Like he said. I would also add that it is very good to use channeling builds on Dakra and Nikana, but dont mod it for attack speed if you are going to use channel build. Instead of fury put more damage or elemental mods, or even range mods, and you can one-hit (or one combo) heavy's in T4 Survival, even after 40 minutes.

Depends on the melee weapon I'm using. If I like the weapon and its stance combos I tend to try and use them.

The only weapon I almost exclusively use without combos is the dual ichors as Berserker at max really makes it hard to target enemies properly when it starts comboing. I just end up half way across the map after I targeted an enemy 2 feet in front of me. =/

It is sometimes quite hilarious though.

I just don't use the "pause" combos, why? I have no time to pause when level 50 enemies are shooting at me >.>

This is a real issue for me as well. I absolutely despise using pause combos as they are so tricky to pull off with the timing especially with either really slow or really fast weapons.

IIRC the pause combos were easier to pull off when holding the back button and doing the whole sequence but I believe it was patched to require only precise button presses quite recently. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) [i was trying this method a few hours ago with Crushing Ruin to no success]

Personally I would like all combos to only involve the mouse buttons and movement keys, and none of this pausing as that can get you killed when trying to combo in a big fight. The hold is mostly ok though as most stances have an identifiable movement when its executed making it far easier to pull off. e.g - Flailing Branch stance - Rising Falls Combo.

Depends. Combos like Decisive Judgement's pause where you hit the enemies head and the pause isn't that long, the head crits compensate. The hold one where you knock them down for a finisher is also worth it, especially in PVP. The strong right click one, VERY strong that hits twice is also worth it. Tranquil Cleave's pause also is very short but the VARIOUS strong fast hits are totally worth it.

TL;DR: Spam E for normal enemies, they'll die in one hit with my build anyway, no matter the level. Use combos for stronger enemies; bosses, Corrupted Vor, Stalker if at all possible.

Each combo looks different.  A good number of them are just different animations that don't accomplish any task differently.  The only thing they do is look cool.  The worst offenders are stances where one stance just ends up killing enemies faster; at that point even looking cool doesn't save a combo.  It's all dead weight.

No, combos actually do things.

Ex:

Sundering Weaves Third Combo - Coming Wave:

• Coming Tide combo ends with a horizontal slash which does a 100% chance of dealing 18px-Slash_b.png Slash bleed proc and deals 100% bonus damage.
    • The final attack also includes a short distance dash that can hit enemies in a line. You can also manually move during the charge up animation before the dash, which will replace the dash with your current movement.
    • This dash also possesses the ability to "copter" if performed on a ledge, and has a disproportionately long travel distance. Be careful using it near ledges or you will be thrown quite a ways out.

Malicious Raptor's Third Combo - Venging Thrash:

• Venging Thrash's third stabbing attack has a 100% chance to inflict 18px-Slash_b.png Slash proc.
    • Venging Thrash's final attack is a headbutt that staggers enemies, allowing you to instantly perform a Finishing Attack.

No, combos actually do things.

Ex:

Sundering Weaves Third Combo - Coming Wave:

• Coming Tide combo ends with a horizontal slash which does a 100% chance of dealing 18px-Slash_b.png Slash bleed proc and deals 100% bonus damage.
    • The final attack also includes a short distance dash that can hit enemies in a line. You can also manually move during the charge up animation before the dash, which will replace the dash with your current movement.
    • This dash also possesses the ability to "copter" if performed on a ledge, and has a disproportionately long travel distance. Be careful using it near ledges or you will be thrown quite a ways out.

Malicious Raptor's Third Combo - Venging Thrash:

• Venging Thrash's third stabbing attack has a 100% chance to inflict 18px-Slash_b.png Slash proc.
    • Venging Thrash's final attack is a headbutt that staggers enemies, allowing you to instantly perform a Finishing Attack.

You have given two examples.

There are how many stances with how many combos?

Cherry-picking outliers proves nothing.

You have given two examples.

There are how many stances with how many combos?

Cherry-picking outliers proves nothing.

Iron Phoenix's 2nd combo:

•  

Crossing Snakes' 4rd Combo:

• Twin Fang can be executed by holding backwards 11px-Downarrow.png, then pressing the melee key in succession.
  • If the melee key is held just as the first jumping attack of Twin Fang is executed (the attack after the pause), the combo will perform Northern Coil's side slash upon landing. If the melee key is pressed again immediately upon the slash occurring, the rest of Northern Coil can be executed from that point onward. 

Tranquil Cleave's 3rd Combo:

The final slash of Beyond Reproach has a 100% chance of inflicting 18px-Slash_b.png Slash proc.

• The 4th slash deals 50% bonus damage.

Pointed Wind's 2nd Combo:

The last attack of Striking Gale involves a rising slash that ends with a kick, which has a high chance of landing a headshot against humanoid enemies for greater damage. The height of the jump makes it more likely to miss low-lying enemies like Crawlers however.

• This last hit will also stun enemies who survive the attack, opening them up for a followup Counterattack Finisher.

Bleeding Willow's 2nd Combo:

• Drifting Steel consists of three lunging attacks that propels the warframe forward while attacking. These can be aimed to allow rapid movement in different directions to hit large groups of enemies faster.
  • Drifting Steel has a 100% chance to inflict 18px-Impact_b.png Impact proc during the overhead slash of its 3rd attack, and on the last stabbing hit of its 4th attack.
  • The third combo in Drifting Steel inflicts 50% bonus damage.

These were picked at random, need more?

Iron Phoenix's 2nd combo:

•  

Crossing Snakes' 4rd Combo:

• Twin Fang can be executed by holding backwards 11px-Downarrow.png, then pressing the melee key in succession.
  • If the melee key is held just as the first jumping attack of Twin Fang is executed (the attack after the pause), the combo will perform Northern Coil's side slash upon landing. If the melee key is pressed again immediately upon the slash occurring, the rest of Northern Coil can be executed from that point onward. 

Tranquil Cleave's 3rd Combo:

The final slash of Beyond Reproach has a 100% chance of inflicting 18px-Slash_b.png Slash proc.

• The 4th slash deals 50% bonus damage.

Pointed Wind's 2nd Combo:

The last attack of Striking Gale involves a rising slash that ends with a kick, which has a high chance of landing a headshot against humanoid enemies for greater damage. The height of the jump makes it more likely to miss low-lying enemies like Crawlers however.

• This last hit will also stun enemies who survive the attack, opening them up for a followup Counterattack Finisher.

Bleeding Willow's 2nd Combo:

• Drifting Steel consists of three lunging attacks that propels the warframe forward while attacking. These can be aimed to allow rapid movement in different directions to hit large groups of enemies faster.
  • Drifting Steel has a 100% chance to inflict 18px-Impact_b.png Impact proc during the overhead slash of its 3rd attack, and on the last stabbing hit of its 4th attack.
  • The third combo in Drifting Steel inflicts 50% bonus damage.

These were picked at random, need more?

Okay, let me explain why you're not accomplishing anything.

First, all you're doing is quoting the wiki.  You're not using any practical experience.  I shouldn't need to further explain the problem.

Second, you're naming one combo from one stance at a time.  When one of my arguments is that combos within a stance don't offer meaningful benefits, you cannot refute it by just naming one combo off a stance and not comparing it to the rest of the stance.  Furthermore, the Crossing Snakes combos you brought up only talk about switching between combos and how to execute them; nothing you said was relevant to the usefulness of these combos.  This only support my argument.

Three, another of my arguments is that a lot of combos boil down to simply how much damage they do/how fast they kill enemies.  The Tranquil Cleave combo you listed boils down to doing more damage; this, again, supports my argument.

You have listed seven combos in an attempt to refute me.  Two of them directly support my arguments.  The other five entail staggers/knockdowns/AOEs, which I already said were useful before you responded to me, and therefore cannot be used to refute me.  Furthermore, none of the combos listed are compared internally to other combos within their stances, which makes them meaningless against one of my two major points.  And finally, by continuing to cherry-pick combos one at a time, you are unable to build a large enough sample to make any comments on combos as a whole, which is the second of my two major points.

In short; you're not saying anything meaningful, at all.