Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does Anyone Even Use Stance Combos, Or Do You Just Spam E When Large Waves Arrive?

Demo102

Okay, let me explain why you're not accomplishing anything.

First, all you're doing is quoting the wiki.  You're not using any practical experience.  I shouldn't need to further explain the problem.

Second, you're naming one combo from one stance at a time.  When one of my arguments is that combos within a stance don't offer meaningful benefits, you cannot refute it by just naming one combo off a stance and not comparing it to the rest of the stance.  Furthermore, the Crossing Snakes combos you brought up only talk about switching between combos and how to execute them; nothing you said was relevant to the usefulness of these combos.  This only support my argument.

Three, another of my arguments is that a lot of combos boil down to simply how much damage they do/how fast they kill enemies.  The Tranquil Cleave combo you listed boils down to doing more damage; this, again, supports my argument.

You have listed seven combos in an attempt to refute me.  Two of them directly support my arguments.  The other five entail staggers/knockdowns/AOEs, which I already said were useful before you responded to me, and therefore cannot be used to refute me.  Furthermore, none of the combos listed are compared internally to other combos within their stances, which makes them meaningless against one of my two major points.  And finally, by continuing to cherry-pick combos one at a time, you are unable to build a large enough sample to make any comments on combos as a whole, which is the second of my two major points.

In short; you're not saying anything meaningful, at all.

1. Quoting the Wiki because reliable source and I have used every stance because I, In fact, own them all.

2. Stances do offer really good benefits and some are the combos I listed.

3. Try sundering weave + prova then spin to win before you start talking out your ---.

4. Unless your argument is "stances are useful and do useful things!" then I think you may be confused.

In short; You have little to no clue the true value of stances or their affects on any weapon.

Edited by Shizzuie

Personally, I utilize every combo possible, for use and effect. I find them way more helpful than just randomly hacking away at enemies, such as high level ancients and heavy gunners. I especially like the impact proc combos. But to each his own, while some of you are taking 40 hits to kill an enemy, I'll be sending them flying with Bide and Bleed ;)

Personally, I utilize every combo possible, for use and effect. I find them way more helpful than just randomly hacking away at enemies, such as high level ancients and heavy gunners. I especially like the impact proc combos. But to each his own, while some of you are taking 40 hits to kill an enemy, I'll be sending them flying with Bide and Bleed ;)

+1 for using melee 2.0 correctly

1. Quoting the Wiki because reliable source and I have used every stance because I, In fact, own them all.

2. Stances do offer really good benefits and some are the combos I listed.

3. Try sundering weave + prova then spin to win before you start talking out your ---.

4. Unless your argument is "stances are useful and do useful things!" then I think you may be confused.

In short; You have little to no clue the true value of stances or their affects on any weapon.

All you've done is repeat what amounts to "Nuh-uh you're wrong" and insult me.

I can see you have no interest in having an actual conversation.

I have choosen to continue spamming the quick-melee-button, for various reasons. Only use stances to get the extra mod-points, which spares me to use Forma.

It just takes too long to switch to melee-mode and back during a fight. The enemies are often dead before you'd reach them this way. You already have a hard time to keep up with quick-melee especially when there are some trigger-happy people/ability-spammers with you on the team.

Another point is that it's completely bullcrap that the "switch-to-melee"-button is a different one than "switch between mainhand/offhand gun"-button. Thinking about that in the aftermath it would probably have been worth a try if they'd have consolidated the weapon-switching to "Mouse-wheel up/down" to switch between all 3 weapontypes, like most shooter games do which allow you to carry more than 1 weapon at a time. At least that's what I'm used to have in most of the shooters out there.

While in melee-mode the combos are just... weird sh*t, to be honest.

The way it is currently it still feels like mashing the "E" button but in the weirdest and most random combinations possible, with all the pauses and "hold button down" in the chain which are easily to miss when there's lag or if you misplace/forget them altogether. Also pressing the attack button ONCE often makes your Char throw 2-3 swings in the mix rather than ONE, which renders it nearly impossible to chain something for me because I can't time when an animation is over and when to connect a new move when it always chooses to alternate how many swings are thrown with each button-press.

And what's worse is that every friggin stance has a completely different variation of how to smash the same friggin button over and over like a maniac. For a game where I often switch weapons that's just completely insane because I don't feel like learning the specific way of how to smash "E" for more than 30 different stances each having at least 2-3 distinctive combos summing up to 90 friggin combos to remember if you'd like to become an expert - and more being pipelined down the development road.

Melee 2.0 makes me feel like taking a friggin exam every time I switch to melee mode so I stopped using it because that's no fun to me. If I'd have wanted that I'd have retired from my field-job and become a blade weapons professor at Tenno academy.

I just hate the "timed-combo" concept the most about it, it's completely against the way I would have wanted to have "combos". I would have liked the game to recognize different keyboard-inputs as a specific combo, like for example pressing Block+Attack together triggering something. Or Melee Attack+Quick-Melee or Block+Quick Melee or all the three together to trigger something specific... and Sprint/Crouch/Jump-keys as well as the direction (WASD) keys to include the environment into how each combo is performed to be the most effective.

Stances would then replace a specific animation set for a specific melee-weapon with a different one buffing a specific keyboard-combo, but the keyboard-combos to trigger those alternate animations would basically remain the same and therefore much easier to adapt to and remember.

Also I would have left the "hold to charge"-attack to make an attack stronger instead of the channeling... because channeling just made some charge-damage related weapons suck.

And maybe what I would've done too is that the "quick melee"-button during melee-mode would become a "quick shot"-button so when you'd press that it would quickly shoot with your sidearm at a ranged target and then switch back to your melee weapon. Because there's no real other way to make melee a viable "ranged combat" mode anyways, which is particularly a problem as I mentioned in the first paragraph. That would have maybe turned into something interesting in accompany to keyboard-triggered combos rather than timed combos.

But that's just my personal opinion and review about Melee 2.0 and I know many people don't agree with me or share my feelings about it. So I just hack the enemies away with Quick Melee... and if something doesn't die with 1-2 hits then I'll shoot them with my gun and remain unimpressed by people being in Melee-mode not even getting close enough to enemies to do something before they are dead.

Also with the Mutalist Ospreys the only safe faction to use melee mode is gone for me. I mean they got nerfed to death already but I still don't feel comfortable about their fart clouds bypassing shields and doing damage directly to health, which is quite unavoidable if you'd use melee mode because you'd risk being in the cloud to hit the enemies. It's safer now to use Quick Melee and always be on the guard if one of the fart ospreys comes around a corner. Same with the damn grapling hook of the ancients. Melee mode is just suicidal when they start pinballing you. Just gun them down and have no problems and use Quick Melee if you feel safe about it.

Corpus and Grineer for various reasons never were safe melee factions for me because I don't like a Napalm, Scorch or Eviscerator in melee-range. Neither do I like anything with vast AoE damage or stun capabilities. Just gives the enemies plenty of free hits and maybe ends up with you being begging for a revive.

Edited by MeduSalem

I barely spam E.
Usually I'm always doing combos even if I just choose one of them and then spam it.
Although I almost never use the "hold E" ones because those are a pain to pull off and I need to count the attacks.
With "pause" combos you can usually see where to pause from the animations and it feels like you are doing it.
With "hold E" it's pretty much "Did I do it?" for me.

Never really bothered with stances, whenever i try out a new weapon i have a look at the stances to see how they look then its back to spam E, usually with quick melee because some stances seem to slow down melee horribly. Only exception so far is ofcourse Crimson Dervish since its so much less efficienct to quick melee, still spam E though.

Stances and combos never appealed to me, personally i was hoping for deeper customisation with melee 2.0 rather than combos with some extra procs and effects. Maybe its just me but I liked the initial idea of further trading speed for damage and such much more, maybe they felt it was too much like corrupt mods though.

Yes, I use them.

Usually only the combo's that require you to tab an additional key, but since you can just hold that key throughout, you can spam E as well.

But for instance the Seismic Palm has a very satisfying "PAUSE" combo, the Sudden Rockfall. And that's the combo I use the most when playing with Fist weapons.

A simple trick to PAUSE combo's, is to pause after each hit. You'll eventually feel when exactly to pause.

Same goes to HOLD combo's, just hold each tab, until you get the right feel.

All you've done is repeat what amounts to "Nuh-uh you're wrong" and insult me.

I can see you have no interest in having an actual conversation.

It looks more like he showed you examples of stances that added combos that do more than just a standard 3 hit combo does. You seem to be claiming that stances are not useful for their combos or am i misunderstanding you? The mobility, proc effects, knockback, knockdown, or extra damage the stances give for longer combos do seem useful in my opinion. If those aspects are not useful to you then please explain what would be considered useful.

It looks more like he showed you examples of stances that added combos that do more than just a standard 3 hit combo does. You seem to be claiming that stances are not useful for their combos or am i misunderstanding you? The mobility, proc effects, knockback, knockdown, or extra damage the stances give for longer combos do seem useful in my opinion. If those aspects are not useful to you then please explain what would be considered useful.

You are misunderstanding, actually.  You're actually completely off-base on everything.  In fact it looks like you didn't even read any of my posts on the matter, otherwise you'd understand.

That said, I'm not going to restate anything.  It's all been laid out in clear English.  It's up to you to read it, me posting it repeatedly isn't going to change anything.

biggest problem with combos, which shizzuie glossed over is leaving you stuck in an animation, that can = death fast. sure, you can whizz bang kill the thing in front of you...but if his buddies are filling you full of death that doesn't really help much now does it? especially if you can't dodge or do anything else because you're stuck in that spiffy animation.

so i tend to spam E, only ever bother to actually equip melee in low level stuff unless running loki. with him getting stuck in animations is less problematic.

there is a reason it's universally considered a bad thing in action games when facing mobs of enemies that animation locks are to be avoided. standing still you die. in warframe considering the output capable in higher tiers, you die fast.

then again, i solo, so everything is agged to me...if you're running in a group that ag tends to be split so you can play at swashbuckling ninja pirate from the stars, being temp locked in an animation isn't as big of a problem.

biggest problem with combos, which shizzuie glossed over is leaving you stuck in an animation, that can = death fast. sure, you can whizz bang kill the thing in front of you...but if his buddies are filling you full of death that doesn't really help much now does it? especially if you can't dodge or do anything else because you're stuck in that spiffy animation.

so i tend to spam E, only ever bother to actually equip melee in low level stuff unless running loki. with him getting stuck in animations is less problematic.

there is a reason it's universally considered a bad thing in action games when facing mobs of enemies that animation locks are to be avoided. standing still you die. in warframe considering the output capable in higher tiers, you die fast.

then again, i solo, so everything is agged to me...if you're running in a group that ag tends to be split so you can play at swashbuckling ninja pirate from the stars, being temp locked in an animation isn't as big of a problem.

I know animation lock is an issue and I do avoid stances that cause issues like that such as Crimson Dervish and I choose the alternative. (Iron Phoenix increases attack speed with no restrictions on turning or mobility plus wide forward AoE)

Edited by Shizzuie

Generally Melee isn't even worth using because ranged weaponry still puts them to shame. Everything Melee can do the guns can do either as fast or faster with very little risk.

If I do use Melee I generally spam E for singular guys and I do combo's for groups, but maybe that is just because of the type of melee's I use.

For stances that have easy to do combo modifiers, like holding the move backwards key while attacking, I usually just hold that the entire time I'm melee-ing because when you attack, no matter which way you're moving, you're moving towards where you're pointing the camera, so it's easy to do that combo. Same with needing to press the block button.

You are misunderstanding, actually. You're actually completely off-base on everything. In fact it looks like you didn't even read any of my posts on the matter, otherwise you'd understand.

That said, I'm not going to restate anything. It's all been laid out in clear English. It's up to you to read it, me posting it repeatedly isn't going to change anything.

In, "clear english," your issue was with heavy weapons to start with. You also seem to think that doing more damage for certain combos as their only bonus is inadequate. How is doing more damage as a combo goes on a problem too? Shizzuie gave examples of combos that have more than what a 3 hit combo does then you complain about cherry picking good examples. Is he suppose to go through every combo?

I just double checked the combos page on wiki and nearly every combo either gets bonus damage, proc, aoe, knockback, stun, head strikes, hits high enemies, hits low enemies, or gives mobility. Maybe being able to start straight into the combos or after first strike would be more ideal though, that point i agree on. It looks more like the fact that heavy weapons need a fix is the real issue.

Edited by RoelYento