Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

If The Portal Only Allows Travel In One Direction...

Yezzik

...then how can we escape back the other way?

I wondered this as well until the random line sometimes played at the time of key insertion that explained it. The timeline is thus:

1. Portal runs from planet to ship

2. We activate ship-based systems reversing the direction

3. We enter the portal find key

4. We re-insert key and reverse the portal again setting the torsion beam device into overload.

5. We go back to the ship.

I wondered this as well until the random line sometimes played at the time of key insertion that explained it. The timeline is thus:

4. We re-insert key and reverse the portal again setting the torsion beam device into overload.

Except that timeline doesn't make any sense. If the ship is in the void why do we start there?

We reverse it to get to planet-side, then reactivate it planetside ourselves with the key to go back through, 

Pretty much this.

Except that timeline doesn't make any sense. If the ship is in the void why do we start there?

Because we need to make sure that the Grineer don't slip by us to destroy the Archwing tech. We need to get on the ship before them, fight them back through the portal as they're just coming through, then head through the portal and deal with them there before going back to the Derelict to reach our personal ship where we started - and pick up the caches.

Not quite right. You can't enter the portal from the void side anymore once they pick up the key on the other. Just had a game where we split to get caches and kill boss. They went down after killing the bosses on the grineer side, and we couldn't enter the portal from the void side to rescue them, even though they hadn't inserted the key for the overload yet.

Because we need to make sure that the Grineer don't slip by us to destroy the Archwing tech. We need to get on the ship before them, fight them back through the portal as they're just coming through, then head through the portal and deal with them there before going back to the Derelict to reach our personal ship where we started - and pick up the caches.

I dunno, it just seems off. Based on the description and mission dialogue, it would have made more sense if we started on a planet, went into the void/derelict, and then came back to the planet for extraction.

Not quite right. You can't enter the portal from the void side anymore once they pick up the key on the other. Just had a game where we split to get caches and kill boss. They went down after killing the bosses on the grineer side, and we couldn't enter the portal from the void side to rescue them, even though they hadn't inserted the key for the overload yet.

Well I think that's a game mechanic oversight: DE expected all players to stick together to hunt for the caches in the Derelict or go kill the minibosses - not split up to micromanage each. After you kill the bosses, the game expects you to insert the key and the portal code-wise is just shut down until you do and pass back through.

It seems silly, yes, but I'm 95% sure that's the reason.

Edited by Morec0