Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Nyx Screwjob

Marthrym

First of, I'd like to apologize in advance, Nyx is(was?) my main and favourite frame, so this post is completely biased, based on personal experience and opinion, and also me venting my anger and frustration. So please, bear with me, try to understand that this is just MY opinion, and get off your high horse if you're a DE white knight, and instead try to help me change my mind, this post is my call for help.

So! I'm going to be blunt here : Saying that I am disappointed by what you've done with Nyx would be a MONUMENTAL understatement.

Now put down the pitchforks and let me explain WHY I think Nyx got screwed big time. And then maybe you can help me see the errors of my ways or something, I really need it to not quit Warframe (Yeah I'm THAT stubborn and stupid, sorry^^')

First, the looks. From the get-go, making Nyx a Prime was a tall order, I realize that. Because she was first supposed to be the female version of Excalibur and all that. But it's no excuse. Actually, knowing it should have been enough of a warning, and utmost care and and attention given to Nyx. For me it wasn't the case.

Second, the "bonus" stat (secondary to me, but still worth mentioning). 35 more armor points... Really? REALLY? The single most useless and irrelevant stat of Nyx gets a "bonus"? To quote DESteve the Great : "ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!"

Nyx Prime with the Targis armor kinda looks Prime-ish to me, but since I'm completely biased I'm pretty sure I would never have been totally satisfied no matter how she turned out, so this is more my fault than anything if I am not "in love" with her design, even though again, I think she looks good-ish. I'm pretty sure I could like her more and more with time. Maybe.

But the deal breaker for me is this though : REMOVE the Targis armor... What do you get? A Nyx. A REGULAR Nyx, painted white, with just a gold thingy here and there, and an alternate helmet. It works on Excalibur yes, he looks "simple" yet elegant, but it does not look elegant or even "practical" on Nyx. She just looks like a non-Primed Nyx. And Nyx with immortal skin looks immensely better than her Primed counterpart. To me at least. But again, that's just my personal tastes, I know some find her great and everything, and that might help me feel better if you guys that find her awesome could help me see her the way YOU see her, I would be VERY grateful!^^'

I think the problem for me is the fact that the Targis armor is NOT AN INTEGRANT PART of Nyx Prime's appearance. If it had been, maybe I would not be typing these words now. So I blame whoever thought choosing Nyx as a cash grabber the first Prime to fall victim to it would be a good idea. Or at least explain to me why it is a good idea. Because I really don't see it. I know it's due in great part to the fact that it's Nyx you guys chose, which doesn't help me to be honest. It just fuels that stupid part of me who wants to say stupid things that would get me nowhere (but most likely banned forever...). which also makes me hate myself because before "The Nyx Screwjob" (wink wink), I had NEVER been disappointed by how frames/weapons/tilesets/anything really looked in Warframe. Ever.

Then comes the "Prime bonus stat/thing/whatever" implemented along with RhinoP. I am really curious here, more than anything. Why armor? Because of the Targis? But... That's... stupid.^^'

It's a COSMETIC thing. It's not even an INTEGRANT PART OF NYX PRIME! So why this choice? Why not energy like LokiP? Makes MUCH MORE SENSE to me. I mean, look at it logically : Nyx is NOT a melee oriented frame. No stamina bonus, and abysmal armor. She's the "Chaos frame" for Lotus' sake! She's a CASTER frame! It makes no sense whatsoever to give such a (useless) bonus! It won't make her tankier (it really won't, the difference is negligible, useless at lower levels, and useless at higher levels. So yeah, useless across the board).

Okay! Now that I'm done venting... Please help fellow Tenno, DE staff, anyone. Help change my opinion, I'm BEGGING YOU guys. I know NOTHING I can say/type or do can change Nyx Prime, I'm not that dumb or selfish/self centered.

I know things are going to remain as they are. I'm not okay with it, and that's why I'm making this thread. To vent yes, I admit it, but more importantly to ask the community/devs to help me change my mind and love this game once again.

I know that quitting Warframe for this would also be stupid (understatement too here), and I have friends in the game that I feel I would let down if i just hit uninstall. And I don't want to quit. I know Nyx is "just" one frame, it's not "the end of the world", there are MANY more awesome things in this game etc... But like I stated before, Nyx Prime was the thing I was the most excited to see in Warframe, the one Prime I was ready to spend money to get (and to be honest, despite all the bile I spewed in this post there is still a part of me that urges me to buy it) and I was really disheartened by the result.

So once again, please help me change my mind about Nyx Prime.

First, the looks. From the get-go, making Nyx a Prime was a tall order, I realize that. Because she was first supposed to be the female version of Excalibur and all that. But it's no excuse. Actually, knowing it should have been enough of a warning, and utmost care and and attention given to Nyx. For me it wasn't the case.

Second, the "bonus" stat (secondary to me, but still worth mentioning). 35 more armor points... Really? REALLY? The single most useless and irrelevant stat of Nyx gets a "bonus"? To quote DESteve the Great : "ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!"

Nyx Prime with the Targis armor kinda looks Prime-ish to me, but since I'm completely biased I'm pretty sure I would never have been totally satisfied no matter how she turned out, so this is more my fault than anything if I am not "in love" with her design, even though again, I think she looks good-ish. I'm pretty sure I could like her more and more with time. Maybe.

But the deal breaker for me is this though : REMOVE the Targis armor... What do you get? A Nyx. A REGULAR Nyx, painted white, with just a gold thingy here and there, and an alternate helmet. It works on Excalibur yes, he looks "simple" yet elegant, but it does not look elegant or even "practical" on Nyx. She just looks like a non-Primed Nyx. And Nyx with immortal skin looks immensely better than her Primed counterpart. To me at least. But again, that's just my personal tastes, I know some find her great and everything, and that might help me feel better if you guys that find her awesome could help me see her the way YOU see her, I would be VERY grateful!^^'

In regards to the stats: Yes, it's dumb.

In regards to the looks: Excalibur, Frost, and Mag Prime all have pretty much the same issue. This isn't new.

This isn't going to be an essay answer, more straight to the point. I was kinda the same with Loki Prime. However, after playing around with all the colours and accessories for it, I finally made my Loki Prime look good to my standards. Another thing you have to note is nothing is ever perfect. You can pray all you want to DE and it probably won't change a thing. Personally, I think that Nyx Prime looks alright (minus the crane head). I can almost guarantee you, once you play around with all the customisations with Nyx Prime, you'll fall in love with her (again?).

(EDIT): It's better off than what Ember got when she was Primed. She literally just got a polarity. 

Edited by Glowing1011

I heard some people considered Nyx Prime look as a mix of a Gorilla and a Jellyfish which is kind off weird.

As for the stat bonus, armor really? 

That's quite out there tbh, like you said a caster not a melee fighter. 

As for her looks, I guess we can't do anything about it. I mean cm'on I've seen countless people 

posting threads about Trinity's Lobby tail or Nova's Giraffe neck but did de do anything about it? nope

I remember something about Mynki saying *I do not change what I have created* or something like that.

meeh don't take my word seriously though I could be wrong.

I actually like the armor bonus; it adds new capabilities to playstyles. Sure, Nyx may be a caster and not melee, but Nyx PRIME is a different frame, not the same, even if she has the same abilities. Besides, 50 armor is still not a lot to cover for high level missions, compared to the 150 and 600 armor maxes more suitable for melee/tank. It just puts her at average.

Edited by R34LM

I am glad I am not the only one that was disappointed with the stat boost that Nyx Prime got.  Armor is useless for her to begin with, and not only that but it is only a 35 armor increase, it won't make a difference.  I really think DE needs to rethink this and replace it with something that actually makes sense to the play style of Nyx.  Rhino Prime got a speed boost, which made complete sense, he is supposed to run into the fray and beat the crap out of stuff.  Loki got an energy pool boost which also makes sense... but Nyx gets an armor boost, and not just an armor boost but an insignificant one. 

As for her looks, I am ok with it for the most part, but the Helmet man.. just why the hell is it so big.  It makes her look like one of the Aliens from the Alien movies, huge long extended head... why.   If they cut that extended part on the back of her head in half it would look much better. 

Edited by ClockworkSpectre

Also, new helmet : you look like Alien. How is this not an upgrade ?

I never really liked the Alien movies, and am not really a fan of that specific alien, so for me it doesn't have any appeal. 

As much as I am complaining, Nyx has always been my favorite frame, so I will still use the prime.  I just think DE went the wrong direction with what they did with her Prime version. 

Edited by ClockworkSpectre

I'm almost never bothered by stats, but I do agree with you.
However what bothers me, though I can live with it, is her helm. I think the end portion of her helm is too bulky and it makes it too visually heavy in my eyes. What I think could be done is if they slim it down. It looks more elegant this way.

Nyx_Prime_2.png

Edited by BloodCarnival

All your points are reasonable and should be taken into account. My 2 cents:

1. It should have + Energy not +Armor.

2. the body looks bloody aweful. you say excalibur is elegant? well i say thats aweful too both needs to be redesigned into more primed form just like LOKI and Ember. that is how you do Prime, not THIS!

3. You are a master, why dont you PM them directly? I usually do and get quick responses. Link to this thread and show them that we are concerned. and funily enough, most pepole in here are founders.

P.S. I wont help you change your mind, because i agree with you.

Edited by TheNexusCloud

I find Nyx Prime looking pretty nice. Yes the helmet is abit too lenghty but its very detailed and something fresh not seen in any frame yet (maybe Frost Primes rib cage helm). But I do agree the body might need just little bit more golden details here and there but you can clearly see the changes DE has added to the original frame. Put on an awesome Syandana (cough Misa), use her noble stance and tweak the color, Nyx Prime is a real beauty. I don't even bother with the Targis armor on her.

Thanks guys, your comments actually help a lot.

Maybe I did get blinded by my own expectations and personal opinion. I took time to calm down and rethink it, and while I still think she could have been done better (especially the Alien part, she's not a xenomorph for Lotus' sake...), I now realize she's more than a "regular" Nyx, thanks to you fellow Tenno.^^

I just hope time will "heal" my "wound" and I'll fall in love with Nyx again.

I still think the armor bonus is insignificant and not thought out though (pointless at lower levels, useless at higher levels), but more importantly it doesn't FIT Nyx and her theme. She's the Goddess of Chaos, not a CQC frame. Even if she received a huge armor bonus, I'm pretty sure I'd still complain about it. I still have a biased opinion after all.^^

Thanks guys, your comments actually help a lot.

Maybe I did get blinded by my own expectations and personal opinion. I took time to calm down and rethink it, and while I still think she could have been done better (especially the Alien part, she's not a xenomorph for Lotus' sake...), I now realize she's more than a "regular" Nyx, thanks to you fellow Tenno.^^

I just hope time will "heal" my "wound" and I'll fall in love with Nyx again.

I still think the armor bonus is insignificant and not thought out though (pointless at lower levels, useless at higher levels), but more importantly it doesn't FIT Nyx and her theme. She's the Goddess of Chaos, not a CQC frame. Even if she received a huge armor bonus, I'm pretty sure I'd still complain about it. I still have a biased opinion after all.^^

Glad we could help you! It's never any fun when you don't enjoy your favourite frame's Prime :P