Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Dont We Have Melee That Focus On Chaneling

Tsoe

Ther average chaneling dmg mult is 1.5X for 5 energy cost

Why dont we have weapons that use chaneling as main feature

like a long sword with x3 chaneling and 3 energy cost

but lwoer critical rate and such, less statut chance for e.g?

Edited by Tsoe

With the addition to the screens, we can hope that they'll have a channeling weapon. The only bits to worry about will be whether the initial damage without channeling is large enough, as I can see it being nerfed. If they made the channeling cost 1-2, then at least 1 more maxed channeling mod could added to the weapon without sacrificing too much. (like Warror's Grip, Second Wind, Quickening, etc) Without a low initial channeling cost, slapping all available--and relevant--channeling mods onto a weapon makes its channeling state unusable for long-term action. They could also take a different route with it, subbing the 1.5x damage for 1.5x speed, .5x stamina consumption, 1.5x critical percentage chance, or/and so on. :D

How about switch weapons? A dagger that has fast regular hits; but when channeling, it quadrooples in size, triple the damage at the cost of a slower attack speed. Stealing from monster hunter, how about an SnS that channels into an axe? An axe that splits into tonfas? A staff that energizes a spear head?

The only problem with making channeling weapons is that they actually need the base damage to make it work.

Take the galatine, It does a total of 45 damage (42.8 of it slash). Take the Dragon Nikana it does 85.1 total (72.3 of it in slash).

Both at the same channel multiplier and its.. 54 for Galatine 127.65 for DN.

To beat that Galatine would need its channel multiplier buffed to 2.9 to beat the DN by... 2.75 damage points.

Put on a maxed Killing Blow mod and... Galatine goes to 3.48x modifier to produce 156.6 damage, DN goes to 2.1 modifier for 178.71 damage. Result is rather obvious.

So in order to win really Galatine's base damage would need to be buffed enough to make a higher channeling modifier worth it to begin with. Which at that point it would be better modded for bashing things without channeling since it has a large cleave range and all you need is enough damage to 1 hit most things that attack you in melee. Oh and technically both weapons have the same attack speed, so in that scenario Galatine would once again be the top weapon. By virtue of being a rather fast melee area weapon.

Unless the galatine's damage was not buffed enough to compete and instead was just given a massive channeling multiplier which would cause it to still lose... as the higher base damage of the DN means that it will get a ton more damage from mods meaning its lower channeling multiplier simply has bigger numbers to work with to beat any channeling multiplier that is not something silly.

So uh... what is the point of channeling again? I would rather see charge attacks come back so that Heavy Weapons have a point while leaving channeling (or reworking channeling) to help provide some omph to the lighter weapons.

still think they should make damage variable a little more believable [galatine hits like a wet cat, especially compared to d.nikana which is almost like a dragon itself], and put more weapons behind mastery level, so every level you get like ~5 more weapons to make and they will USUALLY be an upgrade to what you have.

Id still rather not run up to a group of enemies and waste my energy on overkill damage, thanks.

thats the point in question though, lower energy costs and scaling to make it an option over a gimmick, without making it necessary. ATM its too costly, but if its too good thats all that would happen. I get that it is hard to balance but tis a cool idea and should be explored further imo

I've got my Nikana set up for maximum channeling damage. It's got a 2.5-something multiplier and is slow as hell, but it vaporizes anything I touch for a decent energy cost (17 I think).

The Galatine's big draw in Damage 1.0 was that it was fast for a heavy weapon, had mediocre base damage, but the charge damage was the highest in the game. To bring that back, you'd have to give it an insane channel multiplier, like 5x, 10x or 20x, and a cost to compensate, like 20 or 30. It should be the kind of weapon that you swing once and everything around you dies.

I've got my Nikana set up for maximum channeling damage. It's got a 2.5-something multiplier and is slow as hell, but it vaporizes anything I touch for a decent energy cost (17 I think).

The Galatine's big draw in Damage 1.0 was that it was fast for a heavy weapon, had mediocre base damage, but the charge damage was the highest in the game. To bring that back, you'd have to give it an insane channel multiplier, like 5x, 10x or 20x, and a cost to compensate, like 20 or 30. It should be the kind of weapon that you swing once and everything around you dies.

I think that charge attacks should simply be brought back in, acting as a heavy attack in combos in order to expand the combo system a little, and channeling reworked to be something different.

My clan's warlord and I were talking about it and came up with the idea that you spend X amount of energy to give your weapon a 30-45sec channeling buff where the weapon then applies on-hit effects (100% chance) based on the warframe using it.

For instance Ember would light things on fire, Frost would freeze things, Volt would shock things, Nekros would lifesteal from his enemies, so on and so forth.

Treating channeling as a 5th "ability".

The only problem with making channeling weapons is that they actually need the base damage to make it work.

Take the galatine, It does a total of 45 damage (42.8 of it slash). Take the Dragon Nikana it does 85.1 total (72.3 of it in slash).

Both at the same channel multiplier and its.. 54 for Galatine 127.65 for DN.

To beat that Galatine would need its channel multiplier buffed to 2.9 to beat the DN by... 2.75 damage points.

Put on a maxed Killing Blow mod and... Galatine goes to 3.48x modifier to produce 156.6 damage, DN goes to 2.1 modifier for 178.71 damage. Result is rather obvious.

I don´t get your calculation.

If the channel multiplier would be buffed to 2.9 for Galatine it would result with killing blow and corrupt charge in 2.9 * 3.2 = 9.28.

How about dual stance weapons that change stance sets on channeling?

The most obvious would example would be a whip/snake sword; unchanneled would use a sword of dagger set, but channeling would extend it into a whip and use the whip set. Or a single heavy sword that splits into two smaller blades channeled, using the dual sword/dagger set? Or a Bo weapon that breaks into a pair of Tonfas when channeled?

Edited by Ryme