Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Change Detron Base Damage To Electric

notionphil

There are numerous threads comparing Detron unfavoribly to the Brakk. As an owner of both, I don't think the Detron is at too significant of a disadvantage, nor do I think it needs a buff.

However, Detron could be made a bit more unique compared with the Brakk, instead of feeling like a slightly inferior version with a rather specific damage type. Especially with the introduction of the Nukor, which fills the role of a crowd-radiation sprayer far better than the Detron ever could.

I propose that DE change the base damage of Detron to electric. This allows it to be modded with focus on a wider variety of useful damage types. That one single change will greatly increase the Detron's appeal and versatility, making it more unique from the Nukor and the Brakk.

Thoughts?

Forgive my french - God no!

The major strength the Detron has is it's base combo-element of radiation, which allows you to use the electric (and fire) element in another combo, specifically Corrosive and Magnetic, which gives it great damage against all Grineer OR Corpus.

The Detron's typing is it's biggest advantage over the Brakk. It would be a nerf to it, as far as I can tell. If a player wishes so, he can plug in a Convulsion mod for arcing, whereas the innate radiation damage is not a perk that can be modded in.

I tire of the Detron vs Brakk arguments. They're both Gravidus weapons, but that doesn't mean they have to be equal. Not every weapon in the game is perfectly balanced.

Detron is better for certain situations (namely, grineer) and that should be enough to give you a reason to own it *and* the Brakk. It's not like the Brakk outshines it 100% of the time.

Also, Detron is a marvelous gun, mine has 5 formas on it. It is viable for all end-game content. There are other weapons that deserve buffs much more than it does, and the only reason Detron is requested so often is because Brakk is better.

I wouldn't mind at all, but... this is only the second gun with innate Radiation (if I recall correctly).

We have a number of weapons with innate Electric damage (Synapse, Amprex, Quanta, Castanas, and a few melee).

Weapons with an innate combined element allow us to have three elements equipped, allowing for some diverse builds.

So we would lose the ability for 3 elements, but get a more useful base element overall.

As I say, I wouldn't mind, but feel we actually make it less unique making it Electric based.

Oh please no. We have so many Corpus weapons with innate electric damage, it's not even funny anymore.

One of the Detrons main advantages are that you can have a triple combo elemental build, or a dual combo build which would normally not be possible (like radiation / corrosive). If anything, buff its status chance by a bit to make it the proc flinging counterpart to the Brakk.

But as is, it is a pretty good gun. I have 5 formae on mine, and it can deal with any situation.

Edited by Storchenbein

Oh please no. We have so many Corpus weapons with innate electric damage, it's not even funny anymore.

You know, I always found it strange that the *laser* weapons deal physical damage (primarily puncture) instead of electricity, while the melee weapons like prova, serro, and lecta that actually involve physically striking someone have only electric damage.

You know, I always found it strange that the *laser* weapons deal physical damage (primarily puncture) instead of electricity, while the melee weapons like prova, serro, and lecta that actually involve physically striking someone have only electric damage.

It's even stranger that they don't deal radiation.

They're puncture because they *melt* through armor. How do you figure a weapon could deal electrical damage at range through a beam of light? Lol...

They're puncture because they *melt* through armor. How do you figure a weapon could deal electrical damage at range through a beam of light? Lol...

Yah I can accept that, but you would think Prova would have some impact damage then. And now that I think about it, Lanka does electric damage, and it's the only one that actually "punctures" (innate punch-through).

I disagree a lot. The reason I love Detron so much, and invested the formas I did, was because of how useful it was Vs grineer with radiation and corrosive, with some cold from ice storm, for the damage and clip. That would be ruined, and the gain wouldn't be be enough to make it worthwhile, IMO.

Forgive my french - God no!

The major strength the Detron has is it's base combo-element of radiation, which allows you to use the electric (and fire) element in another combo, specifically Corrosive and Magnetic, which gives it great damage against all Grineer OR Corpus.

The Detron's typing is it's biggest advantage over the Brakk. It would be a nerf to it, as far as I can tell. If a player wishes so, he can plug in a Convulsion mod for arcing, whereas the innate radiation damage is not a perk that can be modded in.

This

I like the way as it stands. Giving it electric feels like it would take the fun out of how good it is a sidearm versus Grineer. Not only that, but its been around too long to change the dmg types, itll screw over some peoples formad builds.

No.

We have so many guns that do base electric.

I LIKE my detron doing 3 different combo-elemental damage types.

The detron is fine as it is.

It does massive damage, is viable for lategame enemies easily, and never runs out of ammo.

The only people want to buff it are ones who are upset the brakk kills enemies .0001% faster. Which means so much in a game where the ai can't dodge or block gunfire.

2eal0k7.jpg

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, It's the size of the fight in the dog.

-Mark Twain

Edit: Removing random characters that were neither in my post nor in the one I quoted.

Edited by Xrkr

@OP: And take away my ability to have Corrosive, and Radiation damage on the same weapon which allows me to quickly defeat any and all Grineer armour?And throw Heat on the same weapon as well to burn off Cloned Flesh? Absolutely NOT. What you're asking for amounts to a massive nerf. 

Radiation alone gives +75% damage vs Alloy Armour (Heavies, Elite Lancers, Eviscerators). Plus Confusion effects are quite useful for getting enemies to target each other and not you. Even at Rank O, the Detron can handle low level Heavies easily.

Corrosive gives +75% damage vs Ferrite Armour (Just about every other unit)

You change the damage type to Electricy and without modding in another element, the Detron would automatically incur a  50% PENALTY vs Grineer Heavies.

@OP: And take away my ability to have Corrosive, and Radiation damage on the same weapon which allows me to quickly defeat any and all Grineer armour?And throw Heat on the same weapon as well to burn off Cloned Flesh? Absolutely NOT. What you're asking for amounts to a massive nerf. 

Radiation alone gives +75% damage vs Alloy Armour (Heavies, Elite Lancers, Eviscerators). Plus Confusion effects are quite useful for getting enemies to target each other and not you. Even at Rank O, the Detron can handle low level Heavies easily.

Corrosive gives +75% damage vs Ferrite Armour (Just about every other unit)

You change the damage type to Electricy and without modding in another element, the Detron would automatically incur a  50% PENALTY vs Grineer Heavies.

Well obviously we wouldn't be bringing an unmodded Detron vs Grineer Heavies. You'd mod it for corrosive or radiation.

I agree that having both corrosive+radiation (current state) is a benefit against grineer heavies.

My point is that the Nukor does it better currently bc of the constant stream of procs, and I'd like to see the Detron have a more unique role...not just be another ultimate grineer heavy killer. I would like it to be more versatile. 

Why do I propose changes to the Detron instead of the Nukor? Because the nukor's very essence is obviously radiation, and the Detron is constantly the subject of 'please change this weapon' threads. As stated in the OP, I don't think Detron needs a buff (my 4 forma'd Detron is one of my favorite guns), but I would like it to be less pigeonholed.

Just so we're clear, I have nothing against you. I just don't agree with your reasoning on this. Nothing more. That being said:

Detron came out before Nukor...so why is that the Detron has to change? Why not change the Nukor so that it doesn't infringe on the Detron?

Despite the fact that the Nukor and Detron have the same base damage type...they deliver it in two very different ways. The Detron delivers a spray of pellets that have no drop off, so decent for hitting multiple, grouped targets with one shot. The Nukor uses a continuous, limited range stream of energy waves that "inflates" a targeted body part.

Also, just because you see a few threads saying "change x weapon to do y", it doesn't necessarily follow that x weapon really needs to be changed to do y.

I actually appreciate the fact you have two radiation-based weapons that have different design and delivery aesthetics. Sometimes I feel like using a Grineer styled weapon, sometimes Corpus...and these two weapons accommodate that nicely. I'm no longer forced to use the Detron as an anti-Heavy sidearm. I now have a choice to take either a Nukor or a Detron.

Being able to employ Corrosive+Radiation at the same time is a benefit against anything the Grineer throw at you, not just heavies. This is what makes the Detron - and the Nukor now - a very appealing sidearm choice when facing Grineer. On a side note, both weapons are still useful vs Corpus, despite the 25% damage penalty that Radiation suffers vs Shields - because you can mod both weapons to use Magnetic as well as Radiation damage. While Radiation enjoys no bonuses vs Flesh, it does enjoy a 25% bonus vs Robotics.

Well obviously we wouldn't be bringing an unmodded Detron vs Grineer Heavies. You'd mod it for corrosive or radiation.

I agree that having both corrosive+radiation (current state) is a benefit against grineer heavies.

My point is that the Nukor does it better currently bc of the constant stream of procs, and I'd like to see the Detron have a more unique role...not just be another ultimate grineer heavy killer. I would like it to be more versatile. 

Why do I propose changes to the Detron instead of the Nukor? Because the nukor's very essence is obviously radiation, and the Detron is constantly the subject of 'please change this weapon' threads. As stated in the OP, I don't think Detron needs a buff (my 4 forma'd Detron is one of my favorite guns), but I would like it to be less pigeonholed.

I personally believe that making Detron have innate electricity will just make it another "Corpus laser weapon" whereas keeping it as Radiation at least gives it some identity in a sea of electric/puncture lasers.

As far as I can remember, Nukor and Detron are the only innate Radiation guns in the game, allowing you to stack Radiation and a different Electric dual-element type, which is a greater boon than being an innate single-type Electricity. I think that giving it Electricity damage isn't doing it many favors. It's not often that guns can get a Corrosive and Radiation combination and then Detron can put 2 more elements (Blast, Fire, or Ice) on it if desired.

With Lanka, Quanta, Plasma Sword, Prova, what have you, being Electricity right off of the bat is actually kind of a pain. You usually have to pick sub-par Element combinations or possibly sub-par single elements for a given faction because Electricity and Toxin are used in most of the "valuable" element combinations in the game (at least in my opinion).

I think the value in having an innate dual-element damage type is that it doesn't infringe upon creating other element types. If you chose to do so, you can stack even more Radiation, or you can put on 2 other damage types. It provides a bit of flexibility in element creation that single-type Element weapons don't usually have (even if it sucks against Ancients in the Detron's case).

I personally believe that making Detron have innate electricity will just make it another "Corpus laser weapon" whereas keeping it as Radiation at least gives it some identity in a sea of electric/puncture lasers.

---

I think the value in having an innate dual-element damage type is that it doesn't infringe upon creating other element types. If you chose to do so, you can stack even more Radiation, or you can put on 2 other damage types. It provides a bit of flexibility in element creation that single-type Element weapons don't usually have (even if it sucks against Ancients in the Detron's case).

Players define "uniqueness" differently I suppose. Please see my below reply to the other poster:

I understand the dual ele value. There is also value in having an innate single element type: you can choose to make your weapon into 100% of 3 very powerful types. An electric base weapon can be made 100% radiation, mag or corrosive.

Just so we're clear, I have nothing against you. I just don't agree with your reasoning on this. Nothing more. That being said:

Detron came out before Nukor...so why is that the Detron has to change? Why not change the Nukor so that it doesn't infringe on the Detron?

Despite the fact that the Nukor and Detron have the same base damage type...they deliver it in two very different ways. The Detron delivers a spray of pellets that have no drop off, so decent for hitting multiple, grouped targets with one shot. The Nukor uses a continuous, limited range stream of energy waves that "inflates" a targeted body part.

Also, just because you see a few threads saying "change x weapon to do y", it doesn't necessarily follow that x weapon really needs to be changed to do y.

I actually appreciate the fact you have two radiation-based weapons that have different design and delivery aesthetics. Sometimes I feel like using a Grineer styled weapon, sometimes Corpus...and these two weapons accommodate that nicely. I'm no longer forced to use the Detron as an anti-Heavy sidearm. I now have a choice to take either a Nukor or a Detron.

Being able to employ Corrosive+Radiation at the same time is a benefit against anything the Grineer throw at you, not just heavies. This is what makes the Detron - and the Nukor now - a very appealing sidearm choice when facing Grineer. On a side note, both weapons are still useful vs Corpus, despite the 25% damage penalty that Radiation suffers vs Shields - because you can mod both weapons to use Magnetic as well as Radiation damage. While Radiation enjoys no bonuses vs Flesh, it does enjoy a 25% bonus vs Robotics.

No offense taken at all, I'm just sharing my opinion...not trying to start a Detron revolution.

Pls understand that I'm not trying to make the argument that Detron would be better against Grineer if my suggestion were followed. I'm arguing for the case of variety and versatility, not min-max against a particular build.

To me, the Detron fills a nearly identical role as the Nukor. Short range dedicated radiation sidearm with quasi-aoe. (my nukor also has 4 forma, love it as well). Even after 4 forma, I won't pretend to know exactly how it works, but the Nukor has a quasi-aoe effect, similar to a tiny Ignis. Put a punch through mod on it and check it out...it hits enemies near the point of impact...doesn't appear to work on objects tho. To me, this is not too dissimilar from a shotgun.

Most secondary weapons with elemental base damage have a wonky firing mechanism, such as embolist, stug or castana. There is no standard/hold-trigger elec secondary; so I'd prefer to have one of those than 2 radiation ones.

I understand that for sake of min-maxing the guns are different, but my overall point is that I'd get more excited about virtually any other base damage type as opposed to 2 pocket radiation guns that fill nearly the same role. I'm looking at overall scope of the game, not what is in a particular player's arsenal.

Edited by notionphil