Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

In An In-Universe Way, What Are Mods?

SolarDwagon

Now, I guess where "mods" came from is modifications. To fit the idea that we take a weapon and modify it to suit ourselves. But there's several big problems I see with this.

One-How on earth does Fury make us swing the same weapon faster? We're putting mods on our melee but it affects us? Are we just modding ourselves? But then how does modding ourselves make a rifle fire faster?

Two-Some mods aren't even physical, or don't even function in any sensible way. Life Strike, Second Wind...

Three-I have a feeling that "simply" increasing the penetration of a bullet or the RoF is anything but simple...

So yeah, have at it. Hell, if someone can come up with an answer I like enough I might even have some goodies.

Ok, personally I think that mods should have different looks - different slots on weapons, so we actually put them somewhere - underbarrel, scope, etc.

For your questions:

1. Fury - makes weapon lighter, so we can swing faster.

2. Life Strike - we revive our fallen alies with some sort of green nano-spray, so life-strike mod allows that spray to coast weapon and get required energy\ parts from enemies to repair warframe.

3. Rate of fire is simple really, penetration - consider it loading weapon with another type of ammunation.

Good enough for you?

What I dont like about current mod system - all mods look the same. For WF, for Weapon, for Sentinel. I know its a helluva work, to make mods affect visual art of frame\weapon, so now we have explanation like that:

They are modules, not unlike small crystals, that are absorbed by the Warframe suit itself and produce varying different amplifying effects when supplied with energy.

At least something to work on. I`d prefer less "space magical" way though...

Edited by Vicious_D

One and three have some real life parallels, a weapon can be modified a melee weapon can be weighted and balanced to my liking based on my size stature wingspan and so on. After altering the weight and balance of this melee weapon it could appear lighter to the wielder.

Bullet penetration is altered by grain of powder and ball ammo vs hollow points, rate of fire can be adjusted by gunsmiths etc.

Regarding the mods that are not even physical well I guess the same could be said for just about any of the abilities the warframes have.

Sure, I'll take a crack at it (am a sucker for promises of free goodies - curse you internet scammers! I want my Nigerian millions demmit!)

First, assume that all weapons, regardless of how 'normal' they look, are actually sci-fi 'smart weapons with miniaturized onboard computers.

This would explain why you need a link to effectively dual wield pistols, the pistol's AI needs to sync with each other to deliver combined targeting data to your warframe, represented by that crosshair on your screen HUD. (Think Raj Whitehall getting a targetting boost from Center a la David Drake's General series).

This also explains why weapons need to gain experience to install mods (think something similar to loading programs into a computer, with this computer perhaps being the pinnacle of biological computing and thus having an organic, or organic-like brain that gets better as it "learns" to process its tasks more efficiently.

These computers also communicate with the mini-foundry in your warframe which then produces reloads on the fly as needed or just slightly before you run dry. Your ammo-pickups are actually blocks of base material that get shaped by the suit foundry into the appropriate form for the weapon as needed. Again, dual wield pistols would need a link so the warframe's onboard foundry won't get confused by 2 different ammo status updates from the same type of pistol. 

In the process of producing the rounds, the weapons also take into account the programming from the mods installed, building into it elemental/status effects and also reshaping it for better armor-piercing, etc. Some mods may also cause the on-board computer to make adjustments to the gun's firing mechanism for more efficient/optimized operations.

In the case of melee weapons, the onboard computer learns through mods to optimize it's own body structure through nanotechnology, with blades reshaping to become more aerodynamic, the Jat Kittag thrusters getting tuned to its peak, etc. In the case of bludgeoning weapons, some may utilize a high-density ferro-fluid internal core that is kept at 0g through artificial anti-gravity fields, and the released at key moments to provide extra momentum for a swing. The fury mod helps optimize this process.

In regards to lifestrike, the mod actually repurposes the 'revive' nanobots in the warframe, which are sent through the weapon via special delivery ports and into the body of the luckless victim, turning parasitic and leeching health which is then channelled back into the warframe. This means that instead of diverting normal operating power (hence why you stand absolutely still when reviving fallen teammates), the nanobots use the energy stored in the reserves for abilities and furthermore are using base materials ripped directly from the bodies of enemies to do field repairs.

... and so on and so on.

After spending many hour studying the ability of mods to affect weapons and frames, the possibilities in relation to how mods work and how they exist from an in-universe standpoint, I have come to a sound conclusion:

tim-spacemagic.png

Ooooh yeah, Illusive dude knows everything about Space Magic :D

i also thought about this and it made my brain hurt... so to ease the pain i came to the conclusion that mods are "software" which somehow boosts/modifies performance of the modded weapon/frame, i am not proposing this as an explanation, i'm just sharing this idea because it worked for me and it still does.

Sure, I'll take a crack at it (am a sucker for promises of free goodies - curse you internet scammers! I want my Nigerian millions demmit!)

First, assume that all weapons, regardless of how 'normal' they look, are actually sci-fi 'smart weapons with miniaturized onboard computers.

This would explain why you need a link to effectively dual wield pistols, the pistol's AI needs to sync with each other to deliver combined targeting data to your warframe, represented by that crosshair on your screen HUD. (Think Raj Whitehall getting a targetting boost from Center a la David Drake's General series).

This also explains why weapons need to gain experience to install mods (think something similar to loading programs into a computer, with this computer perhaps being the pinnacle of biological computing and thus having an organic, or organic-like brain that gets better as it "learns" to process its tasks more efficiently.

These computers also communicate with the mini-foundry in your warframe which then produces reloads on the fly as needed or just slightly before you run dry. Your ammo-pickups are actually blocks of base material that get shaped by the suit foundry into the appropriate form for the weapon as needed. Again, dual wield pistols would need a link so the warframe's onboard foundry won't get confused by 2 different ammo status updates from the same type of pistol. 

In the process of producing the rounds, the weapons also take into account the programming from the mods installed, building into it elemental/status effects and also reshaping it for better armor-piercing, etc. Some mods may also cause the on-board computer to make adjustments to the gun's firing mechanism for more efficient/optimized operations.

In the case of melee weapons, the onboard computer learns through mods to optimize it's own body structure through nanotechnology, with blades reshaping to become more aerodynamic, the Jat Kittag thrusters getting tuned to its peak, etc. In the case of bludgeoning weapons, some may utilize a high-density ferro-fluid internal core that is kept at 0g through artificial anti-gravity fields, and the released at key moments to provide extra momentum for a swing. The fury mod helps optimize this process.

In regards to lifestrike, the mod actually repurposes the 'revive' nanobots in the warframe, which are sent through the weapon via special delivery ports and into the body of the luckless victim, turning parasitic and leeching health which is then channelled back into the warframe. This means that instead of diverting normal operating power (hence why you stand absolutely still when reviving fallen teammates), the nanobots use the energy stored in the reserves for abilities and furthermore are using base materials ripped directly from the bodies of enemies to do field repairs.

... and so on and so on.

Hmmm, I'm starting to be tempted to give you some kind of cookie. But I have one challenge for you, personally-Where does forma and polarities fit into your world?

Hmmm, I'm starting to be tempted to give you some kind of cookie. But I have one challenge for you, personally-Where does forma and polarities fit into your world?

Eh, the forma description mentions "shape-altering component ". Going by that, presumably this actually could lead to major physical changes to the weapon (such as it's internal firing mechanisms).

Now, considering that polarities are grouped by types, it is not hard to imagine that some guns would generally be easier to tweak in certain directions (for instance, that machine guns may be easier to tweak for increased fire rate than say, a sniper rifle) and thus have lower "costs" for such group of mods. By using a shape-altering forma, you are basically tweaking a gun to behave above and beyond its original physical constraints.

So... how about that cookie?

Eh, the forma description mentions "shape-altering component ". Going by that, presumably this actually could lead to major physical changes to the weapon (such as it's internal firing mechanisms).

Now, considering that polarities are grouped by types, it is not hard to imagine that some guns would generally be easier to tweak in certain directions (for instance, that machine guns may be easier to tweak for increased fire rate than say, a sniper rifle) and thus have lower "costs" for such group of mods. By using a shape-altering forma, you are basically tweaking a gun to behave above and beyond its original physical constraints.

So... how about that cookie?

Getting there, but it doesn't fit as well as I'd like for cookies-especially with the relevelling after forma, and when similar mods are across several different polarities-elementals are a great example, existing in all three of the primary polarities, and every one of them existing in at least two different polarities each.

Also, how do Fusion Cores work with your imagining of mods?

[Yeah, I'm a slavedriver for cookies. This is fun though, I don't think I could have come up with the same idea myself]

Keep in mind that our warframes and weapons radiate void energy. The more heavily modded something is the more energy is radiated. It was in the tactical alerts and you can also hear it on some radio chatter as well. Modding is dedinitely related to the void in some way.

Getting there, but it doesn't fit as well as I'd like for cookies-especially with the relevelling after forma, and when similar mods are across several different polarities-elementals are a great example, existing in all three of the primary polarities, and every one of them existing in at least two different polarities each.

Also, how do Fusion Cores work with your imagining of mods?

[Yeah, I'm a slavedriver for cookies. This is fun though, I don't think I could have come up with the same idea myself]

Well, maybe instead of "programs" that run on the on-board computer, mods are more like sub-computers that link with the primary weapon computer in some kind of futuristic distributed/grid-computing way. Fusion cores are kind of like our processor cores, except more future-ey and tiny, so, just like modern processors, the more cores, the more work can be done in parallel.

Also, after forma, the weapon needs to retrain itself because the weapon itself has been "physically altered", since what might have worked before could drastically backfire with the changes implemented.

As for similar effect mods being spread across multiple polarity groups, think of it as there being multiple ways of skinning a cat. For instance, do you build in fire element into the round as a small incendiary tip? (perhaps necessitating a change in the ammo feed due to longer, or bigger bullet?) or a chemical coating that is ignited by the heat of the weapon/an electric field as it passes through the barrel (obvious change needed at the barrel).

Now, I guess where "mods" came from is modifications. To fit the idea that we take a weapon and modify it to suit ourselves. But there's several big problems I see with this.

One-How on earth does Fury make us swing the same weapon faster? We're putting mods on our melee but it affects us? Are we just modding ourselves? But then how does modding ourselves make a rifle fire faster?

Two-Some mods aren't even physical, or don't even function in any sensible way. Life Strike, Second Wind...

Three-I have a feeling that "simply" increasing the penetration of a bullet or the RoF is anything but simple...

So yeah, have at it. Hell, if someone can come up with an answer I like enough I might even have some goodies.

How to make a sword swing faster:  lightening cuts!  That is, an engineer can tell you where to cut holes in the metal to reduce the weight without any serious compromise to structure / function.   Its a bit unrealistic to take such a modification off and on, but that is a game mechanic that has to be overlooked. 

To fire a rifle faster depends on the rifle.   For example, a semi-auto can be bump-fired (a technique / skill you can learn)  or you can improve the trigger (reduced weight, reduced reset and travel distances, etc).   A full auto can be adjusted to fire more rounds/sec mechanically (up to a point) which might include mods to handle the excessive barrel heat (heat sinks, multi barrel, etc).  Or you can make the guns more "handy" so that the time between shots is reduced, such as recoil compensation or lighter weight stock or the like.  If its easier to handle, you can usually fire faster. 

It is very easy to increase the penetration of a bullet.   Make it from steel with a copper jacket, for example, and it will cut thru a LOT more than lead coated in copper.   A good lead rifle bullet will cut thru a quarter inch steel plate without a lot of effort, by the way (a 308 for example).  A steel one or, better yet, other hard materials that have more weight, can go through scary amounts of material.  A 12 ga shotgun slug will also go thru a scary amount of materials just as a blob of lead (which is so soft you can cut it with a knife).   Rate of fire is more challenging but its not insurmountable with engineering and knowledge of the weapon at hand.  I mean, take your basic 1911 --- any idiot with a 3-d printer can go in there and break the trigger to sear reset so that holding down the trigger keeps the sear lifted so it goes full auto (for all 8 shots, woo-hoo).  Done, rate of fire increased.   This is illegal IRL, in the USA, but its not HARD to figure out.  

Edited by jonnin