Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Idea For New 'armor'

(XBOX)Grihaly

That's literally what DE Steve said. He said he didn't like calling the augmentations for abilities on Warframes augmentations because it sounded too cyberpunk for his tastes. AKA, WARFRAME ISN'T A CYBEPRUNK BRO.

**EDIT**

Here's my source:

http://youtu.be/QYS_W6VtdJQ?t=32m

http://youtu.be/QYS_W6VtdJQ?t=32m

I don't see how what he said is relevant at all. He's talking about augmenting/mutating powers/abilities, I'm talking aesthetic robot/mechanical arms that serve no purpose other than looking cool, and do not affect gameplay, powers, etc.

(XB1)A Frikn Grizzly, on 19 Oct 2014 - 5:43 PM, said:

I don't see how what he said is relevant at all. He's talking about augmenting/mutating powers/abilities, I'm talking aesthetic robot/mechanical arms that serve no purpose other than looking cool, and do not affect gameplay, powers, etc.

Which are cybernetic augmentations, and thus, cyberpunk. Which don't fit the theme.

Well then go back and read my post about how the aesthetic of what you proposed directly conflicts with the art direction of the game and he expressed how cyberpunk doesn't fit in Warframe, and before you say Mass Effect is a space opera and not a cyberpunk look at how the cyberpunk aesthetic works in Mass Effect and how Warframe doesn't fit that at all.

Last dev stream DE Steve actually mentioned that even calling the augmentations for abilities on warframes well augmentations was too cyberpunk for his tastes. Now as an extreme lover of Cyberpunk, i believe it would go directly against the tenno aesthetic to have cybernetic augmentations. Like Steve said, too cyberpunk.

Agreed

But why not biomechanical augmentaions? It's hard to picture but like you would see that their arm is augmented or replaces but it looks raw...infested-ish /torn 

kinda like this

288382_full.jpg

Edited by Deidaku

Which are cybernetic augmentations, and thus, cyberpunk. Which don't fit the theme.

He clearly said "power augmentations" as in, changing what a power does/how it works. A mechanical arm would change nothing, other than make you look battle-torn, or just because why not?

And I don't really know the definition of 'cyberpunk' but if you say this game is devoid of it, look at the corpus, now at the grineer, now rethink what you believe.

Well then go back and read my post about how the aesthetic of what you proposed directly conflicts with the art direction of the game and he expressed how cyberpunk doesn't fit in Warframe, and before you say Mass Effect is a space opera and not a cyberpunk look at how the cyberpunk aesthetic works in Mass Effect and how Warframe doesn't fit that at all.

Clearly you don't understand my OP. Or point -.-

Clearly you don't understand my OP. Or point -.-

If a word "augmentations" is too cyberpunk for Warframe, it does not fit the lore then how are insanely complex, robotic, cybernetic limbs supposed to? Well, I dare to say, that they are a bit more visible than a word, therefore it does not fit the design in the slightest.

Tenno design is supposed to be sleek, curved, organic even. There's no place for artificial limbs.

Hell, even if some Tenno would lose an arm, the artificial ome would look more organic, definitely no servos, pistons or cords visible.

Edited after reading @down

Edited by Angius

He clearly said "power augmentations" as in, changing what a power does/how it works. A mechanical arm would change nothing, other than make you look battle-torn, or just because why not?

And I don't really know the definition of 'cyberpunk' but if you say this game is devoid of it, look at the corpus, now at the grineer, now rethink what you believe.

He wasn't talking about the augmentations themselves, but the word augmentation. He wanted to call them something else because the word augmentation was too cyberpunk. Mechanical limbs most definitely fall under the umbrella of cyberpunk.

Warframe would probably be closer to biopunk, though that still isn't very exact. We're covering a lot of different themes here, though in relation to the Tenno cyberpunk apparently isn't thematically appropriate. Even for the Grineer and the Corpus, calling them cyberpunk still isn't really accurate. Mech limbs aren't the only defining feature of cyberpunk, though they are one of them.

Looking at how the Grineer look, some of the Augments of Dues Ex: HR seem a bit more old fashion than what Grineer have and that is saying something!!   I mean if we look at Grineer they went whole hog due to their Degrading DNA which Regor is fixing(maybe)  I myself would rather have maybe a little trophy room that holds the heads of certain Bosses kinda like what the Predators have.   Though it's gonna have a Tenno twist.   Though yeah even for aesthetic purposes they'd have to redo all the meshes so it could work and you've seen how long it's taken them to do it to Trinity, Volt, Sayrn, and Frost with Cloth Physics.   But yeah if anyone is cyberpunk it's Grineer.

Looking at how the Grineer look, some of the Augments of Dues Ex: HR seem a bit more old fashion than what Grineer have and that is saying something!!   I mean if we look at Grineer they went whole hog due to their Degrading DNA which Regor is fixing(maybe)  I myself would rather have maybe a little trophy room that holds the heads of certain Bosses kinda like what the Predators have.   Though it's gonna have a Tenno twist.   Though yeah even for aesthetic purposes they'd have to redo all the meshes so it could work and you've seen how long it's taken them to do it to Trinity, Volt, Sayrn, and Frost with Cloth Physics.   But yeah if anyone is cyberpunk it's Grineer.

I bought the harkonar armor a few days ago, and took down Vay Hek for the first time yesterday (most boring, slow, repetitive boss fight I ever fought) so I threw the left shoulder on my Saryn, and colored it yellow, like a piece of Hek's Terra Frame XD

And to all of you saying "prosthetics/augmentations are too 'cyberpunk' for Warframe!" Look at the corpus. Now look at ArchWings. Now look at the Grineer. Now look at all the fancy decorations the Orokin use. New recant your oblivious statement.

I bought the harkonar armor a few days ago, and took down Vay Hek for the first time yesterday (most boring, slow, repetitive boss fight I ever fought) so I threw the left shoulder on my Saryn, and colored it yellow, like a piece of Hek's Terra Frame XD

And to all of you saying "prosthetics/augmentations are too 'cyberpunk' for Warframe!" Look at the corpus. Now look at ArchWings. Now look at the Grineer. Now look at all the fancy decorations the Orokin use. New recant your oblivious statement.

Different factions have different aesthetics. The Grineer have a cyber/dieselpunk vibe going, the Corpus are sort of retrofuturistic with a little chrome and art deco thrown in, and the tenno are biopunk-ish with a science fantasy bent.

Also, Archwings and Orokin bling are not at all cyberpunk.

Different factions have different aesthetics. The Grineer have a cyber/dieselpunk vibe going, the Corpus are sort of retrofuturistic with a little chrome and art deco thrown in, and the tenno are biopunk-ish with a science fantasy bent.

Also, Archwings and Orokin bling are not at all cyberpunk.

Then explain what 'cyberpunk' is.

Then explain what 'cyberpunk' is.

That is a hard question to answer. 

Cyberpunk stories are typically set in the near future, and they generally are about the information age gone out of control. Think Blade Runner, Snow Crash, Deus Ex, Ghost in the Shell, stuff like that. Technology is omnipresent and possibly even out of control, you are always connected, and the emergence of these radical new technologies has led to an upheaval of the social or political order.

Warframe is not really about that. Warframe is a mix of quite a lot of things, and cyberpunk is only a small part. For the most part, the tenno are not cyberpunk. The warframes are organic technology, and what lies underneath is trans/posthuman. The Grineer are the closest to cyberpunk IMO, but from what we know information tech isn't really their strong suit, so even then they're not really on the mark.