Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pvp Should Use Dedicated Servers. Player Hosting Too Susceptible To Lag-Switch.

-InV-igo95862

Lag switch is then you produce lag by limit your game connection to internet for a brief moment to gain unfair advantage.

The way online connection currently works is that clients only send the information about completed actions.

For example, then you shoot hit scan weapon at enemy it does not matter there he is on his computer. It only matters if you hit him on your end. If you activate a lag switch it enemies will freeze for a moment meaning you can shot them with out any trouble.

Instead servers should only get commands for actions not an action it self. It should only get a command to shoot gun and until this command is not received on server the gun won't shoot and damage opponents. This way if you start lagging it will only be worse for you as it will make much harder to shoot targets.

I know that creating dedicated servers will cost a lot of money for DE but without this step PvP will never be viable.

wait, did you seriously just ask for Server side Hit Detection?

you do know that Shooters have been using Client side Detection for quite a few years, right? because it's just better. Client side Detection with Server side rechecking.

Client side detection is an open invitation for lag-switch. The only fix is server side detection.

The only fix is server side detection.

which games don't use anymore because then you instead have 'omg i saw 20 bullets hit him but he didn't die' scenarios.

nowadays it's common to have Client side Detection with the Server doing a 'double check' of sorts.

which games don't use anymore because then you instead have 'omg i saw 20 bullets hit him but he didn't die' scenarios.

nowadays it's common to have Client side Detection with the Server doing a 'double check' of sorts.

Thank you.

Client side detection is an open invitation for lag-switch. The only fix is server side detection.

TL;DR - Authoritative servers aren't optimal for Warframe's gameplay.

Clients send complete information to one another, which is then corrected by client-side prediction. So, you're only half-right. You seem to have forgotten that/underestimate software.

Client-side hit detection is fixed by client-side prediction. Lag switch can happen because, yes, we are running under a peer-to-peer service, but do you honestly believe that server-side detection is better? If your connection isn't even at least sub-optimal (I won't explain the intricacies of networking to you), you won't be receiving the messages back quickly enough from the server. I.E: your hit won't be registered in your instance.

Using your method is a dated and flawed way in terms of this game. Why? Well, it's because Warframe is fast-paced. If we were doing a turn-based game, you probably would be on to something. The only reason your idea sounds good is because it reduces cheating - even then, there is code to get around that.

Edited by Kashiki