Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gammacor... "underwhelming" Would Be An Understatement.

Genji

DE has been on the trend of releasing underpowered stuff for a while or forcing powerful weapons like the opticor to be maimed and crippled by things like its charge speed. Basically this weapon can only ever be beautiful, it was decided since the moment it was given magnetic base damage. I fear that this is the intent.

Edited by Shreiko

On the one hand it's a market weapon with no mastery requirement, so it should be weak

On the other hand it has less DPS than the Braton.

Is there some rule that dictates that weapons bought from the market must be trash? Because I never heard of it.

EDIT: The Gammacor also costs 2 Argon Crystals to make. So it's not like you can just instantly buy it from the market and build it at MR0.

Edited by HolyDonut3

Just surprises me to hear this because we already have the Spectra in the mid-to-low tier clan tech range. I would expect a new pistol beam weapon to either be super easy and cheap to get and low tier, or harder to get and better than Spectra. This looks surprisingly close to Spectra's stats. I would even equate the two argon required to doing invasions to get clan tech components. Very similar effort I would think, depending on your dice rolls with farming the void keys.

The technology base for this thing is completely unlike any other weapon we have in Warframe. It is WILDLY different. The description for the Synoid version suggests that it's designed by Cephalon Suda,  which means this may represent the first new technology that we have ever seen; everything else is a modification or a reverse engineered clone of Orokin-era tech as people sift through the ruins and derelicts.

I'm pretty much okay with it not being an amazing DPS hose, especially if it was designed by Suda as a tool for her data collection efforts, but it needs to have some kind of really amazing utility that makes up for the lack of damage.

Is there some rule that dictates that weapons bought from the market must be trash? Because I never heard of it.

EDIT: The Gammacor also costs 2 Argon Crystals to make. So it's not like you can just instantly buy it from the market and build it at MR0.

Way to pick only one part of a post out and jump the gun, cowboy.

First of all, that point was both that it's market and MR0, both of those things going hand-in-hand.  MR is supposed to enforce some sort of tiering or gating system, which shows that it's designed to be weak.  Unfortunately DE does not treat Argon as it should be treated, as the Gammacor is not alone. The Karyst, Kronen, Atterax, Angstrum, and AkZani are all market weapons that need 1 or 2 Argon.

Second... I directly followed up with an example of just how weak it is as a counterpoint to the initial statement.  You know, in the second sentence of my post, assuming you even read that far.

DE has been on the trend of releasing underpowered stuff for a while or forcing powerful weapons like the opticor to be maimed and crippled by things like its charge speed. Basically this weapon can only ever be beautiful, it was decided since the moment it was given magnetic base damage. I fear that this is the intent.

Such absurdity.

The Opticor is one of the strongest primaries in the game right now. Yes, it has a charge time, but even with that, it's still amazing, so I fail to see your point. That's like insisting Boltor Prime's been "maimed" because it has projectile flight time... that one flaw doesn't make it worthless.

Tiberon is a perfectly fine weapon. Maybe not the most powerful gun in the game, but perfectly usable. I don't know anything about Paracyst, but the baseless conclusions in this post are rather upsetting. Just because Gammacor's a dud.

Way to pick only one part of a post out and jump the gun, cowboy.

First of all, that point was both that it's market and MR0, both of those things going hand-in-hand.  MR is supposed to enforce some sort of tiering or gating system, which shows that it's designed to be weak.  Unfortunately DE does not treat Argon as it should be treated, as the Gammacor is not alone. The Karyst, Kronen, Atterax, Angstrum, and AkZani are all market weapons that need 1 or 2 Argon.

Second... I directly followed up with an example of just how weak it is as a counterpoint to the initial statement.  You know, in the second sentence of my post, assuming you even read that far.

I'm gonna ignore the insult and just respond in a civil manner. Yes, I am fully aware of the content of the second sentence of your statement.

My point is that I disagree with your claim that weapons bought from the market must be weak (even with non-existent or low MR requirement). I am of the opinion that most weapons should be viable and useful in any mission, because I like having a large choice of weapons, not just having a couple of the powerful, "must have" ones. 

Such absurdity.

The Opticor is one of the strongest primaries in the game right now. Yes, it has a charge time, but even with that, it's still amazing, so I fail to see your point. That's like insisting Boltor Prime's been "maimed" because it has projectile flight time... that one flaw doesn't make it worthless.

Tiberon is a perfectly fine weapon. Maybe not the most powerful gun in the game, but perfectly usable. I don't know anything about Paracyst, but the baseless conclusions in this post are rather upsetting. Just because Gammacor's a dud.

Did you see the part of my post where I said the opticor is powerful, I see that part and I definitely do not see myself referring to it as useless.

Furthermore on another note, boltor prime's projectile speed is nowhere as damning as opticors charge time. Of all the opticor builds I've seen, they all required 3 fire rate mods to make the charge time manageable(and from what I've seen the charge still looks slower than the charge of a bow with 1 fire rate mod) and sometimes two for the more patient players who are content with being in support roles.

Edited by Shreiko

I am of the opinion that most weapons should be viable and useful in any mission, because I like having a large choice of weapons, not just having a couple of the powerful, "must have" ones. 

Glad to see you've calmed down enough. :P

That said... every weapon being good is a bad thing in a game like Warframe.

Players are encouraged (by various systems, mastery included) to try out different weapons, and to progress.  If they start off with weapons that can handle any mission, there's much less of a need to progress.  It's sort of like when people start out, go up to Rhino/Prime, and never try anything else because with R/P they don't need to learn how to dodge or get better.

Glad to see you've calmed down enough. :P

That said... every weapon being good is a bad thing in a game like Warframe.

Players are encouraged (by various systems, mastery included) to try out different weapons, and to progress.  If they start off with weapons that can handle any mission, there's much less of a need to progress.  It's sort of like when people start out, go up to Rhino/Prime, and never try anything else because with R/P they don't need to learn how to dodge or get better.

It's a shame that they bothered to make such a visually amazing weapon but decided it should be trash tier.

I'd give it a higher mastery rank requirement so newbies can't get it immediately and buff it significantly. But that's unlikely to happen.

They'll probably just give it some token buffs like a small damage increase and maybe a minor status chance increase, just so they can say they buffed it.

It's a shame that they bothered to make such a visually amazing weapon but decided it should be trash tier.

Right, I aimed for it because it looked soo different only to be met with disappointment. 

I'm going to get the Cephalon Suda variant now.

I've been running around with the Gammacor right now and I do agree that it's a bit underwhelming, in stats. However, there is a hidden mechanic to it which I cannot say unless others can also do the proof-checking as well. As I keep firing on a target, I tend to see the damage increase. Initially the damage would be somewhere like 200 and then it ramps it up 600 and caps at 1000. On Infested Charger. Also, I notice that my crit on an Infested Ancient is 3.4k, which is pretty strange given how my damage normally ends around 1000 on Infested.

Again, I might be wrong.

EDIT: Pic of my build.

MzjApmd.jpg

Edited by matrixEXO

I've been running around with the Gammacor right now and I do agree that it's a bit underwhelming, in stats. However, there is a hidden mechanic to it which I cannot say unless others can also do the proof-checking as well. As I keep firing on a target, I tend to see the damage increase. Initially the damage would be somewhere like 200 and then it ramps it up 600 and caps at 1000. On Infested Charger. Also, I notice that my crit on an Infested Ancient is 3.4k, which is pretty strange given how my damage normally ends around 1000 on Infested.

Again, I might be wrong.

EDIT: Pic of my build.

MzjApmd.jpg

So it is working like the void vay in Starcraft 2 (damage increase with time on the same target)

Awesome

So it is working like the void vay in Starcraft 2 (damage increase with time on the same target)

Awesome

Like I said, I could be wrong. The thing is, it doesn't show damage like normal. Continuous damage doesn't keep ticking every time it does damage, it just sums the damage up over 1s and displays it. Which isn't really something I would say great when trying to calculate the damage dealt and the efficiency of the weapon in general.

Again, I could be wrong about the whole weapon thing having increased damage.

Edited by matrixEXO

I just tested a bare Gammacor with a Vauban to hold targets nice and steady.  Damage was 39 to 40 per tick, and stayed steady from the start of firing until the target was dead.

Gammacor does not seem to have any kind of "wind up" or "charging" mechanic..

Gammacor should definitely have a 'void ray' mechanic like in SC2. That would justify its weaksauce stats, or a ramping critical damage and chance. Any of those things would make it a much more interesting weapon than it currently is. It's pretty unjustifiably... well, bad.

Such a unique tech base, too.